• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shill

• Dadrian

• timm525

• dchan

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Okay. Now for my next dumb question. Why is "The Dutch Oven" called "The Dutch Oven?" :confused:

Oh brother...

• Administrators

I don't think the term used in the urban dictionary was applicable back then.I think that is a more recent definition.

i only recently became aware of the name of this horrible act, through an episode of sopranos. fegetaboutit! i immediately thought of this episode and the scene with olivia and clevant in the bed. shill gave me the ultimate chance and i couldn't resist...:) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

they were using ethanol or some kind of flamable gas to process the drugs. when the dude lit the cig and walked inside, kaboom!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What runs this episode?Money,remember what the business man who put a hit on Crockett and Tubbs said?I think the Prodigal Son really refers to the money,it's what's favored in the episode,it fuels the storyline.If Prodigal means favorite,that's what I think it refers to.

• 1 month later...

^ Prodigal doesn't mean favorite, or any other definition close to favorite. prodigal1 : characterized by profuse or wasteful expenditure : lavish (a prodigal feast); (prodigal outlays for her clothes)2 : recklessly spendthrift (the prodigal prince) 3 : yielding abundantly : luxuriant —often used with of (nature has been so prodigal of her bounty — H. T. Buckle)http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prodigalBasically, it means wasteful and being a spendthrift. The term "Prodigal Son" refers to the biblical parable of the Prodigal Son:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Prodigal_Son

^ Unlikely, because the episode almost never concentrates on the Revilla's spending habits or lavish lifestyles. It spent a whole lot more time on Newton Blade's luxurious yacht than it did on any of the Revilla's luxuries, so that could be it. But since the Revillas were the main drug dealers being focused on here, that point is totally moot IMO. If money were to drive this episode, you can say that this 'wastefulness' was not the money itself but how easily and recklessly these drug dealers and their financial backer (Mr. Johnston) spent away on human lives in order to get more money. The Revillas were shown to be bloodthirsty and amoral characters who murdered anybody who got in their way. So you can say the 'Prodigal Son' was the human lives that were spent away so frivolously by those who cared more about making money than they cared about the life of any particular person. But to me, it doesn't fit the biblical parable, which describes the father forgiving the Prodigal Son with open arms despite the son's spurning and rejecting his father so many years ago. And since Sonny, Rico, and Valerie waste away everybody in sight at the World Trade Center plaza anyway, who's forgiving whom or what if there are no lives around to be saved (even if these were bloodthirsty and murderous drug dealers)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------QUOTE:another dumb question again but its bugging me. The guy being dragged behind Calderone junior's car in "Sons and Lovers" - who was he?? __________________He had been hired to find Tubbs and failed....and this was his reward for a job not-well done!

^ Unlikely' date=' because the episode almost never concentrates on the Revilla's spending habits or lavish lifestyles. It spent a whole lot more time on Newton Blade's luxurious yacht than it did on any of the Revilla's luxuries, so that could be it. But since the Revillas were the main drug dealers being focused on here, that point is totally moot IMO. If money were to drive this episode, you can say that this 'wastefulness' was not the money itself but how easily and recklessly these drug dealers and their financial backer (Mr. Johnston) spent away on human lives in order to get more money. The Revillas were shown to be bloodthirsty and amoral characters who murdered anybody who got in their way. So you can say the 'Prodigal Son' was the human lives that were spent away so frivolously by those who cared more about making money than they cared about the life of any particular person. But to me, it doesn't fit the biblical parable, which describes the father forgiving the Prodigal Son with open arms despite the son's spurning and rejecting his father so many years ago. And since Sonny, Rico, and Valerie waste away everybody in sight at the World Trade Center plaza anyway, who's forgiving whom or what if there are no lives around to be saved (even if these were bloodthirsty and murderous drug dealers)?[/quote']You know,it might just be that it was a cool title for the show,we will probably never know exactly what it means,even in seventy years from now(if the world hasn't blown up) and Leonard Maltin the 5th is yapping about transedentalcy(which will have nothing to do with Vice,the show will be broadcasted on the moon by then,though!)

,we will probably never know exactly what it means,even in seventy years from now(if the world hasn't blown up) and Leonard Maltin the 5th is yapping about transedentalcy(which will have nothing to do with Vice,the show will be broadcasted on the moon by then,though!)

Probably. Except, a couple of things:a) This is a favorite pet subject of mine - see my first post a few pages back.b) It was you who dug up the subject from its grave, and it was you who tried to decipher the meaning of the title (poorly, I might add).Me? I'm just playing along with you. :)

Prodigal SonMaybe this was mentioned already; I haven't had time to go through all the posts. I read some time ago that Prodigal Son was going to be about Tubbs returning to NYC and was originally going to focus on him, not Sonny. But DJ's popularity changed that. Anyway, they kept the name of the episode. Tubbs was from the Bronx and like the Prodigal Son in the Bible, he is returning to his home base, getting back together with old haunts and old friends, like his old flame, Valerie. But just like in the Bible Story, not everyone was happy to see him and even though he thought about staying in his home city, he ended up returning to Miami where he felt he had real friends and more of a future. NYC was exciting, but once you leave, it's hard to go back....I know. I've been in the same spot.