Episode #1 "Brother's Keeper"

Ferrariman

4 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Outstanding way to spend an evening.  Odd thing,  I was working hard all day on a plumbing job and thought I should be doing to same. :D

Great - me too !:tasse_prost:

• 2 weeks later...

Been meaning to have another run through this show for a while and I finally caved last night.

From previous viewings, I remembered the pilot not being especially great compared to many later episodes, so I was pleasantly surprised by just how good it is. Sure, some of the acting from the supporting cast is a touch ropey at times, but it's dripping with that unmistakable style and I was impressed with just how well-shot some of it is - there's some amazing, very movie-like cinematography. Plus it has probably the single most iconic music scene from the entire show (and perhaps television as a whole).

That said... as great as this episode is, it still only hints at how utterly excellent the show could be later in its run.

• Like 4

The Pilot is the best ever ! 

$5 million budget for a Tv show pilot back then in the spring of 1984 was unimaginable.:rauchen:

Edited by Matt5

• 4 months later...

This pilot nails what the show set out to do! Its absolutely enthralling with Calderone's web, the tension between Crockett and Tubbs, the cinematography, music...its perfect!

The one nitpick I have always had was the car stunt Crockett pulls off during the boat chase.  This isn't Dukes of Hazzard or Fall Guy.  But I realize the show was still finding its voice at that point and it was the 80s.  Another thing is the power outage scene which is a little much.  Otherwise not much more can be said that hasn't.  TV history was made here.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Remington said:

I'm not overly happy with my initial reviews so I'm gonna start doing more detailed reviews starting with this episode in a week or two.

I’ve enjoyed, or liked, your reviews...but adding to, or re-doing them can be fun. Carry on! :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Remington said:

I'm not overly happy with my initial reviews so I'm gonna start doing more detailed reviews starting with this episode in a week or two.

Great work!:hippie:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’ve enjoyed, or liked, your reviews...but adding to, or re-doing them can be fun. Carry on! :thumbsup: 

I agree and everytime you rewatch you notice another great detail, no matter how small.:hippie:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Was supposed to have this done a couple weeks ago but life gets in the way sometimes lol. I'm actually watching this episode as I type this. It's been a while since I watched MV so I'm looking forward to it.

So we open on Tubbs sitting in his car on some street. It's dark, grungy, and anything but glamorous. We're obviously not in Miami but in New York. I really dig this opening and right away we can see that Tubbs is awesome because of the scene where he pulls a shotgun on the three punks. "Miss You" by The Rolling Stones playing in the background definitely helps. As does Jan Hammer's score that soon takes over. The shot of Tubbs' car going after Calderone's is simple and mundane but there's something about it that just seems epic. Onto the nightclub scene. It's bright, colorful, and gaudy. This is more like it. Great music and nice, subtle acting by PMT here. I love the shot of Tubbs walking down the neon lit hallway. We get a short but effective fight scene/shootout and another great tiny scene in the alleys. This is how you start off a series.

The first time I ever saw this show was in 2011 on the Centric network. The moment I saw the shot of all the palm trees and the music blaring, I was hooked. Beautiful shots of Miami and I actually prefer this more mellow version of the theme to the official one.

And so we're introduced to Don Johnson as Sonny Crockett. I like this guy already. I'm more of a t-shirt and jeans type of guy but I gotta admit that DJ really pulls this look off. To top it all off, he's a pretty good actor who's only going to get better as the series progresses.

The car bombing scene comes out of nowhere and it leaves quite an impression. We're introduced to the rest of the OCB team. I've always been a fan of Switeck and Zito. MV was overall a pretty serious show so a little comic relief is appreciated. I like Gregory Sierra as Rodriguez but he does seem lightweight compared to Castillo. The beautiful Saundra Santiago as Gina is a character I've always loved. Her acting can be hit and miss but she's solid here. The same goes for Olivia Brown as Big Booty Trudy. Nothing wrong here.

The scene where Crockett goes to tell Maria that Eddie's been killed is very well done and doesn't come off as too melodramatic, something that this show has plenty of.

We're then introduced to Belinda Montgomery as Caroline Crockett and Bill Smitrovitch as Wheeler. Both good characters and played very well. I really like the scene between Sonny and Caroline. We've only just been introduced to them but they're already well rounded characters and it's easy to see that their relationship is long past the point of being salvageable.

I absolutely love the scene of Tubbs dancing and singing "Somebody's Watching Me". For some reason, it always gave me a real GTA: Vice City vibe.

The scene where Tubbs remembers his brother being shot to death is well done and the cinematography is on point. PTM overacts a bit though.

The music that plays during Crockett and Leon's boat ride is one of my favorite Jan Hammer pieces. Glad that it was used to even greater effect in The Prodigal Son.

Has anyone noticed that there's two people in Crockett's boat when Tubbs takes off in it? Nevertheless, this is a solid chase scene despite that car stunt being a little much. I can't say enough about the music. Just stunning.

Crockett doesn't seem to be much of a morning person. The scene on the St. Vitus Dance is pretty funny, especially the introduction of Elvis.

As others have said, the courtroom scene does come off a little strange but that moment with all the guns coming out is hilarious.

Onto the beach scene. There's just so much great stuff in this pilot. Who sings this version of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"? It's not Lauper. Or am I wrong? Gotta love the scene where C&T finally agree to work together. The beginning of a beautiful friendship lol.

The following scenes with the OCB team and Izzy...I mean Triny Desoto are fun. It was getting kinda heavy for a while. Gina looks beautiful. One of my favorite scenes so far is Tubbs walking through the club as "All Night Long" plays. I love this song. Calderone sure has one narly ass hand.

The scene between Crockett and Gina on the boat is a little sappy but it's beautifully lit and there's some strong chemistry between DJ and SS.

Tubbs going "mm mm mm" at chick in the bikini is one of the many reasons I love the character. Funny shit.

The following scenes are probably the low point of the episode, mainly due to the unnecessary drama with Gina who's pissed at Sonny about whispering Caroline's name in her ear. Ehh it's over pretty quick.

Funny scene between Tubbs and Elvis.

God I think I'm in love with Saundra Santiago.

Trini is an ugly transvestite lol. This scene is ridiculous in concept but they actually pull it off pretty well.

The scene between Crockett and Wheeler in the Daytona is a definite highlight. Both actors are great here. I actually kinda dig Crockett's jacket here.

The "In the Air Tonight" scene. What can be said that hasn't been said already? Holy shit, this scene is absolutely amazing. Iconic.

The climax is an 8 out of 10. I'm docking two points because the shootout is just over too quick. Everything else is great though. The scene of Tubbs searching for Calderone is intense and the cinematography is great as usual. The "not like this" scene is kinda cliché but it doesn't bother me.

Presumably later that night, Calderone is bailed out by a "judge" and C&T give chase. How they knew where he was flying off is beyond me but it's still a pretty good scene. As we know, Calderone gets away but he'll be back. Sooner than we think too.

"You ever consider a career in Southern law enforcement?" "Maybe. Maybe." I love it.

Cons:

•There's some dodgy dialogue and acting here and there. Also, the shootout at the end could have been better.

Pros:

•Everything else.

This is possibly my favorite episode of the series. It actually works as a standalone film for the most part. Best pilot I've seen. 9.5/10 :clap:

• Like 3

Ladies and gentlemen, there's such a weird thing that caughted my eye. 

You would remember who is played one of FBI agents on episode 2 "Heart Of Darkness" 

The actor's name is Julian Byrd. He had played on Brother's Keeper "The Pilot" as Captain Rodney as it mentioned at the closing credits of the episode.

We know that today and close time of these days's common VCD, DVD and BLU RAY versions have been containing differences and changes such as cutted scenes and shortened from the original records like VHS versions. I only could have found rarely on some EU DVD versions that applied these process less than the widespreads. 

If I need to give some examples here is a couple of. Y'know on the original broadcast of NBC, Brother's Keeper episode was consisted from two parts. Part I and Part II. Just like The Prodigal Son and Freefall.

I searched and read about these from wiki and other resources. And also checked the old original NBC commercial breaks records which is containing commercial bumper at youtube.

I really want to see the cutting and shortened scenes of the original records "VHS or used to base when they created to VCD, DVD and Blu Ray. I mean original the raw records that non-edited, cutted or shortened scenes and full episode"  for sure if it's possible the sufficently old people than me and James (one of the administrator and knows me, talked on facebook with him a few years ago) who are watched or at least seen the show on NBC that it's time on prime time back in day and recorded those in at that time (80's and 90's, but more 80's of original NBC) by the way If I need to specify.

So, where is this "Captain Rodney" on the pilot? Do you have any idea about it? Or he's the one who got lucky at that cutting and shortened process on the pilot?

710295259_MiamiVice1x01-BrothersKeeper-16_Sep.84-DVDrip_XviD.mp3.avi_20190131_155818_610.thumb.jpg.8234c21767bd0161da27cde10180592e.jpg

2127561210_MiamiVice1x02-HeartofDarkness-28_Sep.84-DVDrip_XviD.mp3.avi_20190131_160317_133.thumb.jpg.ac3ae304c9680ae32be7c0cd6533bcf1.jpg1437256097_MiamiVice1x02-HeartofDarkness-28_Sep.84-DVDrip_XviD.mp3.avi_20190131_160057_050.thumb.jpg.e4e82a8b2ddbcb6fc20e52db9d8bdc9b.jpg

Edited by Joey Hardin
Adding closing credits and scene photos

• Administrators

I honestly have no idea. I see him here as Doyle in "Heart of Darkness"  but don't remember him in the pilot. Perhaps, as you say, he was edited out at the last minute?  i would say contact ivoryjones.   He may be able to help as he has a complete set of original episode recordings.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

I honestly have no idea. I see him here as Doyle in "Heart of Darkness"  but don't remember him in the pilot. Perhaps, as you say, he was edited out at the last minute?  i would say contact ivoryjones.   He may be able to help as he has a complete set of original episode recordings.

Appreciated, I would do. Hope he may able to help us about this.

Edited by Joey Hardin

I've checked on my copy (from NBC) and I could not find Julian Byrd anywhere on the pilot episode. I can only agree that he was probably edited out on the last minute. I see no differences about that aspect on any version I've seen of the Pilot (NBC, MCA VHS, MCA Laserdisc, Columbia House, Cable channels, DVD, BD etc.), no matter if one part or two parts version.

Doesn't that happen here or there? I guess Garcelle Beauvais is credited on "Give A Little Take A Little", also on end credits, but I could never spot her. If my memory does not betray me, there are even black and white still pictures of her scene on "Give A Little Take A Little", she plays a waitress and I believe she appears bringing drinks to Crockett and Tubbs table or something like that (if I'm not crazy, I guess I've seen that on this very forum!). Nevertheless, I never saw her on "Give A Little Take A Little" (she does appear, of course, on "The Maze").

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

I've checked on my copy (from NBC) and I could not find Julian Byrd anywhere on the pilot episode. I can only agree that he was probably edited out on the last minute. I see no differences about that aspect on any version I've seen of the Pilot (NBC, MCA VHS, MCA Laserdisc, Columbia House, Cable channels, DVD, BD etc.), no matter if one part or two parts version.

Doesn't that happen here or there? I guess Garcelle Beauvais is credited on "Give A Little Take A Little", also on end credits, but I could never spot her. If my memory does not betray me, there are even black and white still pictures of her scene on "Give A Little Take A Little", she plays a waitress and I believe she appears bringing drinks to Crockett and Tubbs table or something like that (if I'm not crazy, I guess I've seen that on this very forum!). Nevertheless, I never saw her on "Give A Little Take A Little" (she does appear, of course, on "The Maze").

You're correct about the scene you described. Garcelle Beauvais is credited in that episode, but the scene where she waits on Crockett and Tubbs, while they have the meet with Noogie was cut out. Coop made a thread on here about deleted scenes and the picture is also in gettyimages. I'll post it in the right thread, but I noticed her on "The Great McCarthy."

Also I was wondering is this the original Pilot/MV theme intro? The person who posted it says it's how it appeared back in 1984. The DVD version is shorter. The version at 2:45 sounds so good. It looks like, he also mixed in some of the end credits with the opening credits.

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, summer84 said:

Also I was wondering is this the original Pilot/MV theme intro? The person who posted it says it's how it appeared back in 1984. The DVD version is shorter. The version at 2:45 sounds so good. It looks like, he also mixed in some of the end credits with the opening credits.

I don't have the first broadcast of the Pilot, but the very first rerun (January 25, 1985). Actually I've been looking for it for a while.

On my NBC copy (as on MCA VHS/Laserdisc versions), I can't notice any difference in comparison with the US DVD and US BD, except of course the colors (very different - check here ). I wonder if that Miami Vice Theme version was some sort of fan remixing? I find no reason NBC would cut that on the very first rerun, in 90-minute one part format just like the first broadcast. I also find not very Jan Hammer style to have nearly nothing new from 2'07'' to the end. In addition, from 2'58'' the remixing seems to have a lot of distortion, a distortion that was absent before 2'58'', which in my opinion indicates that we can rule out that the distortion comes from the VHS or from the analog recording source (in case it's not VHS), so maybe it's just remixing volume that went wrong.

But I can't say too much about this, the authority on Jan Hammer's style and on recording techniques is Dadrian. I trust Dadrian's opinion on this not less than I would trust Jan's own opinion!!! 

Also, if some member has a copy of the very first NBC broadcast, maybe we could be sure if there are differences or not in comparison with later versions (including the first rerun that I have).

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 1

Just recently I've been going through the series again trying to spruce up the pages for the Miami Vice Wiki, and I've come across quite a few people so far who are listed in the show's credits but don't seem to appear in the episode.

It happens. I could even name some theatrical films that list people in the credits who were ultimately edited out of the final cut

On 1/31/2019 at 1:01 PM, Joey Hardin said:

I really want to see the cutting and shortened scenes of the original records "VHS or used to base when they created to VCD, DVD and Blu Ray. I mean original the raw records that non-edited, cutted or shortened scenes and full episode"  for sure if it's possible the sufficently old people than me and James (one of the administrator and knows me, talked on facebook with him a few years ago) who are watched or at least seen the show on NBC that it's time on prime time back in day and recorded those in at that time (80's and 90's, but more 80's of original NBC) by the way If I need to specify.

As for this, I'd say you're out of luck. These days, studios keep all that stuff for the DVD, but back when Miami Vice was made, home video didn't really exist. There was no incentive or reason for them to keep all the cut material.

Edited by Leigh Burne

6 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

I wonder if that Miami Vice Theme version was some sort of fan remixing? I find no reason NBC would cut that on the very first rerun, in 90-minute one part format just like the first broadcast. I also find not very Jan Hammer style to have nearly nothing new from 2'07'' to the end. In addition, from 2'58'' the remixing seems to have a lot of distortion, a distortion that was absent before 2'58'', which in my opinion indicates that we can rule out that the distortion comes from the VHS or from the analog recording source (in case it's not VHS), so maybe it's just remixing volume that went wrong.

But I can't say too much about this, the authority on Jan Hammer's style and on recording techniques is Dadrian. I trust Dadrian's opinion on this not less than I would trust Jan's own opinion!!! 

Also, if some member has a copy of the very first NBC broadcast, maybe we could be sure if there are differences or not in comparison with later versions (including the first rerun that I have).

It's a fan made version of Miami Vice Theme from the Pilot mixed with Miami Vice Theme (Extended Remix)

This version was released on vinyl in 1985 remixed by François Kevorkian.

https://www.discogs.com/Jan-Hammer-Miami-Vice-Theme/release/5520651

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 8:01 AM, Joey Hardin said:

Ladies and gentlemen, there's such a weird thing that caughted my eye. 

You would remember who is played one of FBI agents on episode 2 "Heart Of Darkness" 

The actor's name is Julian Byrd. He had played on Brother's Keeper "The Pilot" as Captain Rodney as it mentioned at the closing credits of the episode.

We know that today and close time of these days's common VCD, DVD and BLU RAY versions have been containing differences and changes such as cutted scenes and shortened from the original records like VHS versions. I only could have found rarely on some EU DVD versions that applied these process less than the widespreads. 

If I need to give some examples here is a couple of. Y'know on the original broadcast of NBC, Brother's Keeper episode was consisted from two parts. Part I and Part II. Just like The Prodigal Son and Freefall.

I searched and read about these from wiki and other resources. And also checked the old original NBC commercial breaks records which is containing commercial bumper at youtube.

So, where is this "Captain Rodney" on the pilot? Do you have any idea about it? Or he's the one who got lucky at that cutting and shortened process on the pilot?

710295259_MiamiVice1x01-BrothersKeeper-16_Sep.84-DVDrip_XviD.mp3.avi_20190131_155818_610.thumb.jpg.8234c21767bd0161da27cde10180592e.jpg

2127561210_MiamiVice1x02-HeartofDarkness-28_Sep.84-DVDrip_XviD.mp3.avi_20190131_160317_133.thumb.jpg.ac3ae304c9680ae32be7c0cd6533bcf1.jpg1437256097_MiamiVice1x02-HeartofDarkness-28_Sep.84-DVDrip_XviD.mp3.avi_20190131_160057_050.thumb.jpg.e4e82a8b2ddbcb6fc20e52db9d8bdc9b.jpg

I posted the picture earlier, but I guess at the wrong place. Is that him?

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 11.44.53 AM.png