Episode #1 "Brother's Keeper"

Ferrariman

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

That doesn't mean they'd been together for an extended period. I'd say no more than a year...maybe two at the very outside. There's not a whole lot of room in Crockett's timeline for it to have been more than that and account for his ties with Wheeler and his family.

I don’t necessarily think Crockett and Eddie had been partnered for years & years...but I agree, probably 1-2 years. But, it was long enough for Crockett & Eddie to get to know & trust each other. As for Scotty and how long he’d been promoted since being partnered with Sonny...we don’t really know? There could’ve been a partner in between Scotty & Eddie...but up until Crockett & Caroline split, the Crocketts & Wheelers (probably Riveras too) could’ve still gotten together for barbecues and dinners. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

My local television station aired the complete series of MV.

This movie length Pilot was cut into 2 episodes and thus lost a few scenes that I'm sure have been discussed here ad-nauseum.

What I found interesting though was an addition of Jan's score in part 1, at the end where Tubbs and Crockett decide to form a 'temporary working relationship'.

During that conversation Jan's 'slow theme' plays. It does not appear in the original movie. I know purists will hate me for saying it, but I like the scene more with that tune in the background.

That tune is MV to me more than the opener. It's moody and dangerous but with that tropical twang guitar sound I love so much.

(btw I call it the slow theme because that is what Dadrian called it in a cover he made.)

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

My local television station aired the complete series of MV.

This movie length Pilot was cut into 2 episodes and thus lost a few scenes that I'm sure have been discussed here ad-nauseum.

What I found interesting though was an addition of Jan's score in part 1, at the end where Tubbs and Crockett decide to form a 'temporary working relationship'.

During that conversation Jan's 'slow theme' plays. It does not appear in the original movie. I know purists will hate me for saying it, but I like the scene more with that tune in the background.

That tune is MV to me more than the opener. It's moody and dangerous but with that tropical twang guitar sound I love so much.

(btw I call it the slow theme because that is what Dadrian called it in a cover he made.)

The tune included is pretty awesome, and sort of helps make-up for the edited 2-part split for syndication. :thumbsup:

However, I’m unbelievably grateful to have an original 1984 NBC airing of the TV movie Pilot, as well as the DVD sets, so I can see both. But the original Pilot is my favorite version...I wouldn’t trade it for any other addition or version. Definitely feature film material done for TV...which was new & captivating to see at the time! :glossy: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fakespyder said:

Gosh I’d forgotten about this! I’d have to pull out the old re-run VHS tapes to revisit! :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

The tune included is pretty awesome, and sort of helps make-up for the edited 2-part split for syndication. :thumbsup:

However, I’m unbelievably grateful to have an original 1984 NBC airing of the TV movie Pilot, as well as the DVD sets, so I can see both. But the original Pilot is my favorite version...I wouldn’t trade it for any other addition or version. Definitely feature film material done for TV...which was new & captivating to see at the time! :glossy: 

Yeah I wouldn't trade my Blu rays either.:)

It is just I've watched that scene many times but only ever in the original movie cut. So the new, (to me), inclusion of a Jan cue really stuck out to me. I had to play it again to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

It is funny after all these years to see and hear something different. But you're right. The hack-job on the movie wasn't appreciated. I still like the new take on the scene though.

6 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Gosh I’d forgotten about this! I’d have to pull out the old re-run VHS tapes to revisit! :) 

I'd be curious to hear if the cue is on the old tapes. I had never seen the movie in this two part format before.

Unfortunately the broadcast was on an SD channel. But it is nice to have the episodes in an easy to access format. You know, for those times when I'm too drunk to risk handling the BR discs:p

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm starting the series again.  "Brother's Keeper" gets things off to a very fine start.  Pretty much every scene in it is iconic; it's hard to view it objectively and make criticisms. Certain images really stick: the dramatic way Calderone reacts after Tubbs has the waiter spill a drink on him, Eddie's grinning face just before the explosion, Sonny's delighted anticipation of Tubbs "meeting" Elvis for the first time, the back light on the bridge at night with Rodriguez, Crockett and Tubbs, Tubbs' nutty sing-along to that musical scourge of 1984 "Somebody's Watching Me," and so much more.  

It's amusing that the first scene of this new show called "Miami Vice," promoted as a pastel cop show patterned after the quick energy of MTV begins in...gritty New York. 

Nice symbolic shot - Sonny and Scottie in the car.  Sonny: "You were my partner!" Said as we see his new partner, Tubbs, looking on in the car next to them. 

The songs too are iconic.  "In the Air Tonight" of course.  "All Night Long" as covered by a house band, already a standard, yet only a year old.  That distinctive 1980s synth-funk of "Body Talk."  And only Miami Vice could make the goofy-sounding "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" a backdrop for a scene of suspense.  

A proper start.  Now on to the five-season ride! 

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I'm starting the series again.  "Brother's Keeper" gets things off to a very fine start.  Pretty much every scene in it is iconic; it's hard to view it objectively and make criticisms. Certain images really stick: the dramatic way Calderone reacts after Tubbs has the waiter spill a drink on him, Eddie's grinning face just before the explosion, Sonny's delighted anticipation of Tubbs "meeting" Elvis for the first time, the back light on the bridge at night with Rodriguez, Crockett and Tubbs, Tubbs' nutty sing-along to that musical scourge of 1984 "Somebody's Watching Me," and so much more.  

It's amusing that the first scene of this new show called "Miami Vice," promoted as a pastel cop show patterned after the quick energy of MTV begins in...gritty New York. 

Nice symbolic shot - Sonny and Scottie in the car.  Sonny: "You were my partner!" Said as we see his new partner, Tubbs, looking on in the car next to them. 

The songs too are iconic.  "In the Air Tonight" of course.  "All Night Long" as covered by a house band, already a standard, yet only a year old.  That distinctive 1980s synth-funk of "Body Talk."  And only Miami Vice could make the goofy-sounding "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" a backdrop for a scene of suspense.  

A proper start.  Now on to the five-season ride! 

Very well stated & “perfect” points! :thumbsup: The emotional scene where Sonny has to tell Eddie’s wife he got killed, was very heart wrenching & realistic to me, too. Very well done! :clap: 

I think they purposely wanted the show to start off in dirty, crowded, dismal NYC...so then they could take us to the colorful, laid-back, Caribbean-flavor of Miami. :dance2: 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

Very well stated & “perfect” points! :thumbsup: The emotional scene where Sonny has to tell Eddie’s wife he got killed, was very heart wrenching & realistic to me, too. Very well done! :clap: 

I think they purposely wanted the show to start off in dirty, crowded, dismal NYC...so then they could take us to the colorful, laid-back, Caribbean-flavor of Miami. :dance2: 

I DEFINITELY prefer that flavor of Miami you described; NYC just has never appealed to me, and I spent most of my life living in Western New York (between Buffalo & Erie, PA).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I DEFINITELY prefer that flavor of Miami you described; NYC just has never appealed to me, and I spent most of my life living in Western New York (between Buffalo & Erie, PA).

Me too! I’ve from the mid-west, but I’ve always been a beach-boy at heart! :D I’ve never liked or had a desire to go to NYC. Too many shows had/have taken place in downtown LA or NYC, anyway...Miami was & is a nice change. :dance: 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Me too! I’ve from the mid-west, but I’ve always been a beach-boy at heart! :D I’ve never liked or had a desire to go to NYC. Too many shows had/have taken place in downtown LA or NYC, anyway...Miami was & is a nice change. :dance: 

Yeah, I know there are people who like going to NYC get lost in the crowd or to see the sights, but I talked to a guy back in April who lived in Brooklyn for many years, and he said what to do with NYC is to visit it, see what needs to be seen, and get outta there. For myself, I'd rather get lost in the crowd in Vegas (now THAT'S a city I experienced, thought it was great, and would revisit).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Yeah, I know there are people who like going to NYC get lost in the crowd or to see the sights, but I talked to a guy back in April who lived in Brooklyn for many years, and he said what to do with NYC is to visit it, see what needs to be seen, and get outta there. For myself, I'd rather get lost in the crowd in Vegas (now THAT'S a city I experienced, thought it was great, and would revisit).

Huge big cities are usually loud, crowded, dirty, have rude & angry people, and too much chaos for me. I’d much rather be in a tropical place of some kind. :funky: 

• Like 2

Just now, ViceFanMan said:

Huge big cities are usually loud, crowded, dirty, have rude & angry people, and too much chaos for me. I’d much rather be in a tropical place of some kind. :funky: 

I agree, it's a good thing and a good scene. I've seen Chicago, and that isn't my bag either: like a bigger, windier, dirtier version of Buffalo (no disrespect to Buffalo, since I especially like the Allentown art district there). Since I experienced Buffalo, what do I need Chicago for (O'Hare Airport is alright though, but who goes anywhere for the airport:))?

• Like 1

As the whole summer in Germany was awful, I would like to go to a carrebean place to soak up the sun. Some areas were flooded and where I live it was so cold that I thought about turning on the heating in August.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christine said:

As the whole summer in Germany was awful, I would like to go to a carrebean place to soak up the sun. Some areas were flooded and where I live it was so cold that I thought about turning on the heating in August.

I may have mentioned this before but you should come to Mijami.  Weather is the same as the Bahamas and I know a tour guide who works cheap.

• Like 2

vor 13 Stunden schrieb miamijimf:

I may have mentioned this before but you should come to Mijami.  Weather is the same as the Bahamas and I know a tour guide who works cheap.

I haven´t forgotten this great offer, Jim. Unfortunately we have to cope with this bad Covid virus and I want to wait until travelling isn´t that complicated as it is now. But I promise that the day will come when I enter a plane and travel to Miami.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in NYC for the first 34 years of my life and part of me still misses it a lot. Going up there for a week at the end of the month, so I got that to look forward to. I lived near Miami for only 9 months and I'm still missing that too (it was nice to have something to do after work almost every day if I wanted). Palm County isn't bad, but I haven't really had a chance to enjoy it with me working night hours again. I've gotten out a little bit, but it hasn't really grown on me yet.

If I were rich I'd have a condo right on the beach anywhere between Miami and Fort Lauderdale (heck, even Deerfield and Pompano seem nice from what I've seen), a small 2-3 bedroom house in Brooklyn (one of the nicer neighborhoods I grew up in, that is), and a small log cabin somewhere in either NC or SC for whenever I wanna get away from everything. I'd bounce around the states depending on the time of year to avoid the cold.

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

When watching this wonderful episode last night I noticed a weird coincidence, both chiefs on those islands "Calderone's Return: Part 2 - Calderone's Demise" "Afternoon plane" are seen in the first half of the pilot. 

Chief Albury in Calderone's Return: Part 2 - Calderone's Demise. Member of the public in "Brothers Keeper"

393628791_cap1.png.cc1c90ef66379f20a02ddcc99eab162f.png

Customer at the diner.

cap 2.png

Chief in "Afternoon Plane"

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

When watching this wonderful episode last night I noticed a weird coincidence, both chiefs on those islands  and "Calderone's Return: Part 2 - Calderone's Demise" "Afternoon plane" are seen in the first half of the pilot. 

Chief Albury in Calderone's Return: Part 2 - Calderone's Demise. Member of public in "Brothers Keeper"

Customer at the diner.

Chief in "Afternoon Plane"

Sorry it double posted.

Wish you could delete a post if it goes wrong. 

Edited by RedDragon86

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes i try tô imagine How many hours DJ didnt sleep before film the pilot with that "smashed" sleepy face ar the Carlyle...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Sometimes i try tô imagine How many hours DJ didnt sleep before film the pilot with that "smashed" sleepy face ar the Carlyle...

From what I’ve read & heard in the past, Don purposely stayed up all night & didn’t shave or shower when going into audition for the part...as that’s realistically how a lot of times Vice cops looked after a night or two undercover (minus the thousand dollar clothes of course :p). I’m sure he probably did some of the same when getting ready to film scenes for certain episodes. 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 5:07 PM, Mr. Calderon said:

Crockett was pretty rough there (but yet so cool, and I think sexy really; yeah, I said that:)). Compared to the pampered treatment Tubbs & him received from the watchful eye of Palmo in "Honor Among Thieves?", what a contrast (I have a feeling our Sonny wasn't packing a toothbrush in The Pilot there, and no time for female companionship either)!

• 7 months later...
On 2/3/2019 at 10:29 PM, summer84 said:

5pZpyev.jpg

nb2Kx78.jpg

I think this could be Captain Rodney. The Blu-ray could probably give a more clear picture of his face. 

I am pretty sure that this is the same guy from "Heart of Darkness" 

Watching the pilot last night he looked and sounded just like him.

Untitled.png.722318505bd85f34473e5670e94dad3d.png

• Like 6

19 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I am pretty sure that this is the same guy from "Heart of Darkness" 

Watching the pilot last night he looked and sounded just like him.

Untitled.png.722318505bd85f34473e5670e94dad3d.png

I think you are right, great spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I started another MV re-watch last night after catching up with the much more recent shows.

Watching 'brother's keeper' feels like watching a feature movie the way it was shot and the excellent photography. And my bluray rip being the one long episode (not split in two parts) makes it more enjoyable.

Getting back to Crockett and Tubbs once again after some time feels like a reunion with old friends from high school. Or catching up with your first love after many years :-)

The Sonny - Scotty Wheeler confrontation made me think about Hank vs Walt in breaking bad during the garage scene. Scotty has even a son name after himself (like Walt).

I'm sorry for stating the obvious for those who experienced it first hand, let me just say in retrospect this pilot (and of course the following series episodes) must have been mind blowing for the early/mid eighties TV audience. MTV played a role too in the shaping of MV for that young and fresh vibe in the show.

As previously mentioned, lately I've been catching up with more recent shows and watching Vice again feels a bit thin on the character development and story telling side of things. Mind you I don't want to compare shows from different decades. However, from a 1980s standard and viewpoint MV did set new benchmarks in the police drama, not to mention photography, soundtrack, fashion etc. And at the time it was one of the few tv shows in its genre to introduce some character development and story arcs (i.e Calderone, Lombard, Frank Mosca and Hackman).

• Like 5