Calling all Detectives: Group effort

C Glide

Looking at the details on zillow: 

"Built in 2000  Last sold: Sep 1991 for $385,000"   I think that means a house was there in 1991 but was rebuilt in 2000 so it most likely looked different when the episode was filmed?  Man has that property value jumped up.

Seems unreasonably low for even '91 prices, doesn't it?

• Like 1

This is the old channel 6 studio on Brickell Ave.  It looks real familiar and I think it appeared somewhere in Vice but can't find it.  Anyone know?

It had a big role in the movie: Nude on the Moon. Perhaps that's where you know it from, lol.

• 1 month later...

I remember reading in one of the threads about all the Stiltesville houses being demolished.  Looking at Google today, I see one of the homes is designated as an historical landmark.  I don't know if I remember this being discussed, but when looking at Google Earth (May 2014), I spotted 6 houses.  Is that about right?  And does anyone know how many houses were in existence when MV filmed there?  Just curious of course.... :)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stiltsville/@25.651305,-80.174228,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m5!1e2!3m3!1s-ejDGVTQ5toI%2FUceP0gkABAI%2FAAAAAAAAATs%2F7SnQEepR_W4!2e4!3e15!4m7!1m4!3m3!1s0x88d9b45dcc249725:0xa249f32df9d27302!2s42+E+Star+Island+Dr,+Miami+Beach,+FL+33139!3b1!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xd052d57abfb17ebc

EDIT:  I think there may be 7 houses.  

Edited by Susanna Girl

I remember reading in one of the threads about all the Stiltesville houses being demolished.  Looking at Google today, I see one of the homes is designated as an historical landmark.  I don't know if I remember this being discussed, but when looking at Google Earth (May 2014), I spotted 6 houses.  Is that about right?  And does anyone know how many houses were in existence when MV filmed there?  Just curious of course.... :)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stiltsville/@25.651305,-80.174228,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m5!1e2!3m3!1s-ejDGVTQ5toI%2FUceP0gkABAI%2FAAAAAAAAATs%2F7SnQEepR_W4!2e4!3e15!4m7!1m4!3m3!1s0x88d9b45dcc249725:0xa249f32df9d27302!2s42+E+Star+Island+Dr,+Miami+Beach,+FL+33139!3b1!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xd052d57abfb17ebc

EDIT:  I think there may be 7 houses.  

This may help answer some questions. http://www.nps.gov/bisc/historyculture/stiltsville.htm

and here: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/11/welcome-to-stiltsville-a-curious-collection-of-7-houses-a-mile-off-the-florida-coast/265559/

Edited by Pink Flaming0
  • Like 2

I have the old "Making of Miami Vice" paperback. I believe it gives the name of the person in charge of locations. Is this common knowledge?

Thanks Pink Flamingo!  Great information here and some awesome pictures to go along with it.  I was really afraid all of the houses would be demolished since it seems so many of our other favorite MV places are disappearing at such an alarming rate.   ;(

Love this photo:

4%20Stiltsville%20GM%20670-thumb-615x405

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Reference the house in the last scene of "Redemption in Blood."  To answer Pink Flamingo0's question, unfortunately I don't think 25 N Hibiscus Dr. Hibiscus Is. was the house.  Going back over the last posts on this subject in this thread and the sources, there is good reason to believe that it was an empty lot when sold in 1991.  To me, among the other info the most convincing argument against this being the place is the proximity of other land (islands) to this spot.  This screen cap and others show land not too far away across the water.  Also the land you see does not look like Flagler Memorial Island.

close land

I know the Vice camera made distant objects look close.  Nevertheless when seen from above the nearest similar looking land seems much too far away from the location of the house.  

Noname

This is really a good problem and IMO is one of the few still unknown Vice locations.  I know better than to say it will never be found.
  • Like 2

Reference the house in the last scene of "Redemption in Blood."  To answer Pink Flamingo0's question, unfortunately I don't think 25 N Hibiscus Dr. Hibiscus Is. was the house.  Going back over the last posts on this subject in this thread and the sources, there is good reason to believe that it was an empty lot when sold in 1991.  To me, among the other info the most convincing argument against this being the place is the proximity of other land (islands) to this spot.  This screen cap and others show land not too far away across the water.  Also the land you see does not look like Flagler Memorial Island.

I know the Vice camera made distant objects look close.  Nevertheless when seen from above the nearest similar looking land seems much too far away from the location of the house.  

This is really a good problem and IMO is one of the few still unknown Vice locations.  I know better than to say it will never be found.

Quite a small pool !

• 1 month later...

This location picture was posted - which episode and location is this - Ive been told "The Afternoon Plane" but I did not see this at The Deering Estate!? :)

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/gallery/image/421-1lo/

This is indeed from Afternoon Plane. This veranda is part of an auxiliary building at the Deering Estate if I remember correctly.

I recommend checking CGlides website for details.

• Like 1

This is indeed from Afternoon Plane. This veranda is part of an auxiliary building at the Deering Estate if I remember correctly.

I recommend checking CGlides website for details.

Ok great I covered the building extensively last year and did not see this room  :D  :)

• 1 month later...

Think I found the location of "Washington's Gym" in the teaser of Miami Squeeze.  You see the big sign with cartoons when the two punks hijack the pick-up truck and get away with the drugs.  It's 1871 NW North River Drive Miami across the street and close to where Nuta's Boatyard (said to be in teaser's previous shot) used to be.  Some of the windows are similar and one looks like it could be original to the 80s.  Also note the fire hydrant location.  The only Washington's Gym I can find used to be at 95 Hook Sq, Miami Springs, FL 33166 and the neighborhood and buildings are wrong.  What do you think?

Think I found the location of "Washington's Gym" in the teaser of Miami Squeeze.  You see the big sign with cartoons when the two punks hijack the pick-up truck and get away with the drugs.  It's 1871 NW North River Drive Miami across the street and close to where Nuta's Boatyard (said to be in teaser's previous shot) used to be.  Some of the windows are similar and one looks like it could be original to the 80s.  Also note the fire hydrant location.  The only Washington's Gym I can find used to be at 95 Hook Sq, Miami Springs, FL 33166 and the neighborhood and buildings are wrong.  What do you think?

We have learned long time ago from the production notes of the episode following Miami Squeeze that Nuta's was the location of marina in the teaser. Thus the location of the gym which was close to Nuta's makes sense.

• Like 1

Thanks for the confirmation guys.  Here's an interesting problem.  In the final scene of Jack of all Trades, Swi and Sonny stand on the shoreline and watch Jack speed away in a little boat.  Where are they?  My guess is Virginia Key because you see the skyline and the Grove? in the background.  It looks like those tiny islands in the old aerial photos from the 80s.  Here is a screen cap.  Click for larger image.

PDVD 000

Edited by miamijimf

The Escondero house is main highway, coconut grove. Thus, the escape scene is supposed to play there but the view with the skyline in the distant background does not fit. From Key Biscayne the distance could fit but the islands in between do not.

I'm now betting on the NW corner of Key Biscayne.  By enhancing the screencap's contrast and midtone I see the outline of the Rickenbacker Causeway.  The building on the right could be the Seaquarium or the school of Marine Science.  The older aerials seem to show what could be little islands.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the tallest building in the background is the SE Financial Center, what I call the Qbert building:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Financial_Center You can also see the William Powell Bridge of the Rickenbacker Causeway.  The SEFC lines up with the center of the bridge.  Going to a map and drawing a line from those two points leads down to the end of Mashta Island.  I think the Sons & Lovers cove had a seawall, so I would guess this was filmed on the northernmost part of Mashta Island, just east of the cove.

I can't explain the islands.

• Like 1