The MIAMI VICE Experience

Erix

As much as I love the song "Biko" and agree that the tension of the song goes well with the final scene, it's never sat particuarly well with me that a song about such a serious subject -- a real-life person being beaten to death by police because he's black -- was used that way.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erix

• MrsEvanFreed

• Viceman Cometh

• Matt5

I address the use of "Biko" in the write-up, but I agree that it's inappropriate. They shouldn't have used the whole song. It feels weird to hear the African chanting and then lyrics about Steven Biko's death. Neither of which have anything to do with the events of that final scene.

I address the use of "Biko" in the write-up' date=' but I agree that it's inappropriate. They shouldn't have used the whole song. It feels weird to hear the African chanting and then lyrics about Steven Biko's death. Neither of which have anything to do with the events of that final scene.[/quote']I had a feeling some kind of mention would make it in.

Hi!!sorry for this little o.t. but I need your help!!Can you help me with this poll about TV movies Miami Vice??It is for my degree thesis. Please can you pass the word to all your friends?(I need other 30 people) https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MiamiViceTelefilm If you have any problem write me: helpmewmiamivicepoll@gmail.comThanks a lotElisa:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
I address the use of "Biko" in the write-up' date=' but I agree that it's inappropriate. They shouldn't have used the whole song. It feels weird to hear the African chanting and then lyrics about Steven Biko's death. Neither of which have anything to do with the events of that final scene.[/quote']Agreed that the use of "Biko" may have been out of place in this scene, but if you look at it from the point of view of when the episode aired, it might make some sense...South Africe was in the throes of aparthied at the time and it was a fairly popular and 'current event in the mid-80s.' The song itself was release a few years before the episode, but still holds up today.Also, and I'm probably over-thinking this a bit, but maybe there is a parallel between Mike Orgell being discriminated against.Or...maybe director Rob Cohen was given some tracks that could clear and the budget could afford "Biko" and Cohen worked with the episode's editor to make the song fit. Hence the slow motion.

Agreed that the use of "Biko" may have been out of place in this scene' date=' but if you look at it from the point of view of when the episode aired, it might make some sense...South Africe was in the throes of aparthied at the time and it was a fairly popular and 'current event in the mid-80s.' The song itself was release a few years before the episode, but still holds up today.Also, and I'm probably over-thinking this a bit, but maybe there is a parallel between Mike Orgell being discriminated against.Or...maybe director Rob Cohen was given some tracks that could clear and the budget could afford "Biko" and Cohen worked with the episode's editor to make the song fit. Hence the slow motion.[/quote']Yes I think it was more of a 1985 thing :D

I'm well aware apartheid was a hot topic in the 80s (I even wrote a school paper about it :)), but the use of a song about such a specific, sensitive subject is, frankly, poor taste. Just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
Just want to give everyone a heads up. The spoilerific write-up for Evan will be ready in a couple of days. So' date=' sit tight. It's one of my favorite episodes. I think yours too. I am giving it the care it deserves.[/quote']It's coming up on 2 months, still nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Biko was used for the somber mood and tempo of the song, not it's lyrics. Wasn't the first or last time either. Did "Legs" really have anything to do with what was happening in "Milk Run" by it's lyrics? Did "Big League" really have anything to do with what was happening in "Hard Knocks" by it's lyrics? And on and on. Vice was always, always about mood.

Biko was used for the somber mood and tempo of the song' date=' not it's lyrics. Wasn't the first or last time either. Did "Legs" really have anything to do with what was happening in "Milk Run" by it's lyrics? Did "Big League" really have anything to do with what was happening in "Hard Knocks" by it's lyrics? And on and on. Vice was always, always about mood.[/quote']Legs = the girl in the scene looking upside-down between her legs.Big League = (even though this song was by a Canadian and about hockey) the talented young football player.I hate to keep coming back to this topic, but here I go again. I get that it was about mood. I am fully aware that Evan was not an aparthied activist. Thanks for that info.MY POINT ... AGAIN ... was that perhaps it was inappropriate to use a song about a subject SO SERIOUS. On other words ... maybe some subejcts are so sacred ... they should not be used for scene-scoring fodder. CRIPES.

get that it was about mood. I am fully aware that Evan was not an aparthied activist. Thanks for that info.

And thanks for your sarcasm.

MY POINT ... AGAIN ... was that perhaps it was inappropriate to use a song about a subject SO SERIOUS. On other words ... maybe some subejcts are so sacred ... they should not be used for scene-scoring fodder. CRIPES.

MY POINT...AGAIN...the lyrics have crap-all to do with a song's use on Vice or just about any other TV show and just used due to the atmosphere the song provides with or without it's lyrics. Oh, and double CRIPES.

• Administrators

This is a good thread and I would hate to have to lock it, so please guys, can we at least agree to disagree? Everyone has an opinion and on this site we welcome them all. Please don't make me get the padlock out.

• 2 months later...

Palm trees = ViceI love this thread and want to get it going again...I can't be the only one that gets a scent of something, or hears a song and thinks to an experience or moment you had in the '80s. Or more specific to this thread, a moment in the past OR present that makes you think of something from Miami Vice. Man, I just love when this happens to me. Like everyone else here, I've got a lot of 2012 stress in my head, so any time I can have a Miami Vice Experience, I'm grateful.Today, we had a bit of wind in Southern California. Nothing too major, just enough to keep the flags flying, but especially, sway the palm trees back and forth. When I look up and see this, I can imagine being in Vice, maybe walking around with Crockett and Tubbs. Palm trees: My Miami Vice Experience of the day. Small in the eye, but huge in the mind's eye.

I love this thread and want to get it going again...I can't be the only one that gets a scent of something' date=' or hears a song and thinks to an experience or moment you had in the '80s. Or more specific to this thread, a moment in the past OR present that makes you think of something from Miami Vice. Man, I just love when this happens to me. Like everyone else here, I've got a lot of 2012 stress in my head, so any time I can have a Miami Vice Experience, I'm grateful.Today, we had a bit of wind in Southern California. Nothing too major, just enough to keep the flags flying, but especially, sway the palm trees back and forth. When I look up and see this, I can imagine being in Vice, maybe walking around with Crockett and Tubbs. Palm trees: My Miami Vice Experience of the day. Small in the eye, but huge in the mind's eye.[/quote']Thanks CharlieGlide. I love reading your Vice Experiences.:thumbsup::thumbsup:When I walk along the water front, where I live, I constantly think "that would make a good scene for Miami Vice" or I can just see Crockett and Tubbs grilling Izzy, over there. The other week I was down at The Esplanade right on sun rise. As I was walking toward the beach I saw the first red rays of the sun comming through some clouds and stretching right across the water, to the beach. And the best thing was, as I stopped and looked, it was framed perfectly between a palm tree and another larger tree. Absolutely beautiful. And the first thing I thought, in that instant second, was "that would be an excellent shot for Miami Vice".Take me back to the 80s' and Miami Vice. None of that "2012 stress".Ahhhhhhh think I might go and watch an episode(or 2 or 3 now, with some JD and a nice monty#2.:thumbsup::cool::cheers: