Episode #78 "Love At First Sight"

Ferrariman

Just now, ViceFanMan said:

It’s fun to discuss, digress, and even debate. But, this has gotten pretty off-path, lol. I don’t think we’re all going to agree...and we’ve all stated our thoughts and opinions multiple times over. It now has become beating the proverbial dead/horse. 

Time to move on! :D

I agree! And yes, it was FUN!!! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bren10 said:

ViceFanMan, yes of course Sonny would have gotten another job, but how happy would he be day to day? Gina I think would have no problem leaving Miami or being in another department, but Sonny is a whole different deal. It wasn't just the literal work, but it was an entire lifestyle Sonny was living. There would be major withdrawal problems with that. Remember the long look at the St Vitus at the end of Freefall. That wasn't just sentiment.Plus, as a character, Sonny's entire identity as a person is tied to Miami, from college football onwards. It's like making Santa leave the North Pole. It just doesn't work. As far as law enforcement, he certainly wouldn't be a uniform cop and I don't see him as a regular NYPD blue-type detective in a trenchcoat. That type of environment would be suffocating to him and Sonny chafes under too much structure. He needs a certain amount of freedom to move, which he had on Vice. Those night drives and sailboat rides weren't just for show. That sort of thing is part of who he is and his spiritual communion with Miami itself, as well as the freedom he needs. Sonny being there for Billy basically amounts to every other weekend and holidays/special events visitation. He would probably be content with Castillo's role in the unit and occasionally mentoring the next generation as he did with Joey Hardin. At the end of the day Crockett needs purpose, but because he is self-centric it needs to be on his terms, as does any exit he takes from it. The Freefall ending appeared to be that, but upon further inspection it was a form of protest and spite, not actual closure. He hated certain aspects of the job and didn't know how or have the power to fix it, so he quit. He would not be a happy man.

Great insight! It makes me ask where Sonny went after the last case and if he could ever be content after leaving the force. But then, I guess that should be a discussion for another thread! Thanks for taking the time to make me think!! Later!!

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

Well that's part of what a forum is for, I believe. If I only wanted strict synopses, I'd just read Miami Vice Wikia. :thumbsup:

True...but I think we could all agree we’ve stated and digressed our thoughts multiple times over. We all know what we all think. I don’t think anyone is changing their mind, lol. ;)  Time to move on. :funky: 

4 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Great insight! It makes me ask where Sonny went after the last case and if he could ever be content after leaving the force. But then, I guess that should be a discussion for another thread! Thanks for taking the time to make me think!! Later!!

This would be a good topic for a new thread! :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...
On 4/1/2019 at 8:22 PM, vicegirl85 said:

Yes, he expected everyone else to understand.  He thought he wanted to take Billy for a month during the summer, but would he have done so?

Ah, no....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Ah, no....

He was already spending more time with Billy, by the 4th season and during his time with Caitlin. We didn’t necessarily see or hear about every time, as that didn’t necessarily fit in with the plots/episodes. But the point was he was in Billy’s life more, and spending more time with him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

He was already spending more time with Billy, by the 4th season and during his time with Caitlin. We didn’t necessarily see or hear about every time, as that didn’t necessarily fit in with the plots/episodes. But the point was he was in Billy’s life more, and spending more time with him. 

It's true we had to imagine what could have been happening and I'm definitely in favor of Crockett finally getting his priorities straight. I just din't see him spending a month with Billy when he was still on the job. After he left, maybe. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

It's true we had to imagine what could have been happening and I'm definitely in favor of Crockett finally getting his priorities straight. I just din't see him spending a month with Billy when he was still on the job. After he left, maybe. 

I think a month was mentioned at one point, and that Crockett would “like” to have Billy for a month...whether that was ever agreed on between Crockett & Caroline, and/or if that ever actually came to be—we weren’t privy to that particular aspect. But we were definitely shown Crockett was spending more time with his son. He was trying to be a better father and get his priorities straight.  I got the impression that Sonny meant he would take around a month off during the summer to try & spend that time with Billy.

If my memory doesn't fool me, there is a episode in season 5 in which it is reported in the OCB that Crockett is on holiday with Billy for these 4 weeks. But since nobody else seems to remember, I am probably wrong... Unfortunately I have no idea in which episode that was.

Edited by Glades
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I think a month was mentioned at one point, and that Crockett would “like” to have Billy for a month...whether that was ever agreed on between Crockett & Caroline, and/or if that ever actually came to be—we weren’t privy to that particular aspect. But we were definitely shown Crockett was spending more time with his son. He was trying to be a better father and get his priorities straight.  I got the impression that Sonny meant he would take around a month off during the summer to try & spend that time with Billy.

I think there were two events in Crockett's life that shook him enough to wake up and realize the time you have to spend with your kids is short. One was when he shot the boy in Child's Play and the other was when Caroline called him to talk to Billy after he got in trouble in school. Caroline was worried the new baby was going to alienate Billy even more and I remember her saying to Sonny, "The boy needs his father!" 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Glades said:

If my memory doesn't fool me, there is a episode in season 5 in which the OCB reports that Crockett is on holiday with Billy for these 4 weeks. But since nobody else seems to remember, I am probably wrong... Unfortunately I have no idea in which episode that was.

This would make sense with what was shown in the last season or two...but I can’t remember what episode it came from. I’ll have to go back and try and find it sometime.

2 minutes ago, Glades said:

If my memory doesn't fool me, there is a episode in season 5 in which it is reported in the OCB that Crockett is on holiday with Billy for these 4 weeks. But since nobody else seems to remember, I am probably wrong... Unfortunately I have no idea in which episode that was.

Really! Well I think there's only one episode Crockett didn't appear (Borrasca?) so maybe it was in that one. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Really! Well I think there's only one episode Crockett didn't appear (Borrasca?) so maybe it was in that one. 

No, not Borrasca. They say Crockett was in Pompano, testifying. I do remember an episode where Crockett is thanking Castillo for a fishing pole. I think Sonny brought the gift with him when he visited Billy, so maybe that was the time. "To Have and To Hold" maybe. 

Edited by mjcmmv

Just now, Glades said:

Rather in the middle of season 5. But as I said, maybe I got something completly wrong. Right now I'm in season 4. I'll report if I should find the scene!

Great! Thanks. I'd love to hear what was said. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glades said:

Rather in the middle of season 5. But as I said, maybe I got something completly wrong. Right now I'm in season 4. I'll report if I should find the scene!

Please do!  I don't recall it ever happening but I don't have a good memory for a lot of S5 episodes.  In To Have and To Hold, he just went to see Billy because Caroline called and asked him to come (because Billy was upset over the coming baby).  He went to their house but there was no implication he was going to stay for a visit in that episode. 

Honestly as I've said before, I didn't see any instances that indicated to me that Sonny was spending more time with Billy in S4-5.  He had Billy down to meet Caitlin and that seemed like a weekend thing.  I think he had good intentions of being more present but I never saw signs that it was actually happening, i.e. he didn't talk about visiting Billy, what they did together, nor were they ever shown to be doing any father-son activities (except for the visit to meet Caitlin, and I think Billy was at the wedding.  If he did start spending more time with his son, it would almost have to have been after To Have and To Hold, which was late-ish in S5.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think Hitchcock's "Psycho" had a big influence on this episode in the last 15 mins.

I never thought of that! Definitely see it when she attacks Sonny with the knife!

5 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

I never thought of that! Definitely see it when she attacks Sonny with the knife!

Exactly! What makes me think of Norman Bates in the conclusion is the way she pretending for just for a moment that her brother exists when she is in his bedroom at they end, picking up the knife like she has just seen it for the first time, in Psycho he would do the same at times, and on the phone to Sonny when she is upset saying how her brother was possessive of her when they were little, that's like a reference to Norman's mother.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Glades said:

It’d be cool to find the episode, but I don’t specifically remember it myself. But it’s definitely implied and shown that Crockett was spending more time with Billy, and was trying to be a better father. He was maturing and changing...family was meaning more to him than the so-called thrill of the job. 

5 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think Hitchcock's "Psycho" had a big influence on this episode in the last 15 mins.

I think I’ve read somewhere once that this is a take-off of Psycho...but even if I’m thinking of something else, this episode is very obviously MV’s own version of Hitchcock’s psychologically twisted tale of Robert Bloch’s novel. ;)  Ironically I’m currently going through A&E’s own version of: Bates Motel (2013-2017). I’d started it back when it was on, but after the first couple seasons I moved and didn’t have cable anymore at the time. So I never finished the rest of the show.  I’ve recently gotten the DVD sets. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

• 3 weeks later...

Heyo, I think I've landed the right page for this. So currently rewatching Season 4 again, finished up Love at First Sight. You know I won't lie, this kind of kept me on the edge of my seat. As ViceFanMan mentioned above it does seem like a take off on Psycho but I think it was done fairly well. Although I don't rank it as high as other episodes throughout the series itself, wasn't too bad. Kept the fear factor at bay and we see how this case is makin Crockett's paranoia go nuts when he ends up drawing his gun on Kaitlyn herself on the boat, for christ's sake he could have shot her! Yeah, as cool as Crockett is, I don't think I'd wanna be living his life haha.

But yeah, not too shabby. Fair episode but not the most stellar for me. It's good in its own regard, seeing Crockett get stabbed was a bit of a jolt. I mean, I knew it was coming, I knew it! But darn it, when it happened I did shudder a bit haha!

• Like 3