BEHIND THE SCENES PHOTOS!

COOPER&BURNETT

40 minutes ago, Tom said:

You won the big price in Phil´show and may come back next week for the bonus round...oh wait, the show has been cancelled :p

That damn Mrs. Opalaka!

• Haha 1

This has probably been posted here before, so if so, I apologize. But, I ran across this picture of Don Johnson & the Mann (Michael Mann) himself! It must not have been all drama & fits behind-the-scenes ;), as they're enjoying some laughs while having a smoke. :rauchen: :funky: 

Also, just as a side-note I saw an older interview with Michael Mann (mid 90s) where he said that the network (NBC) and some others were actually wanting & hoping to get a Season 6 out of the show...but both he and Don didn't want to, as they both wanted to move on to other things. 

MV.jpg

• Like 7

On 3/31/2023 at 8:19 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Also, just as a side-note I saw an older interview with Michael Mann (mid 90s) where he said that the network (NBC) and some others were actually wanting & hoping to get a Season 6 out of the show...but both he and Don didn't want to, as they both wanted to move on to other things. 

You refer to the interview Michael Mann gave for elephant in 1994? That's also a bonus on the Koch blueray set. I transcribed it because I thought it is so interesting, so everyone can read it.

Here are the links:
Part one: https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/15194-michael-mann-tells-how-it-happened-that-he-became-a-director-instead-of-a-literature-professor/#comment-264330
Part two: https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/15218-michael-mann-and-his-interpretation-of-miami-vice/#comment-265085

Edited by Glades
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 7:19 AM, ViceFanMan said:

This has probably been posted here before, so if so, I apologize. But, I ran across this picture of Don Johnson & the Mann (Michael Mann) himself! It must not have been all drama & fits behind-the-scenes ;), as they're enjoying some laughs while having a smoke. :rauchen: :funky: 

MV.jpg

"The best-kept secret about Don Johnson is the fact that he is a terrific actor" - Michael Mann.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Glades said:

You refer to the interview Michael Mann gave for elephant in 1994? That's also a bonus on the Koch blueray set.

Yes, the 1994 interview that's included on the Elephant Films Blu-ray set is what I was talking about. It could be included in other sets too. 

It was interesting that Anthony Yerkovich had written the idea for the pilot before Michael Mann got involved. But, once Mann took the reins the show really took form. This part is not in the interview, but I think that's when Mann decided to use his former ideas for the character of Dan Tanna in the 70s detective drama VEGA$ with Robert Urich...and now create Crockett around them, as previously producer Aaron Spelling took over VEGA$ and discarded most of Mann's ideas. 

I also found it interesting that neither Mann, Yerkovich, or anyone had heard of the idea "MTV cops"...as many times that's what MV is referred to as. It was Brandon Tartikoff that thought of that phrase, and threw it out there (probably for publicity at the time, as MTV was so popular). But, whatever the case, it worked!

I had always thought/heard/read that NBC and everyone wanted out towards the end of MV...but I guess despite flailing ratings & bizarre plots NBC, some of the other cast & producers, etc...were wanting and trying to get at least a Season 6 out the show, if not more. But, it was Mann and Don that mainly wanted out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

"The best-kept secret about Don Johnson is the fact that he is a terrific actor" - Michael Mann.

Agreed! :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 1:19 AM, ViceFanMan said:

MV.jpg

Referring back to my previous post above...I might be wrong about this, but going by Don's blue T-shirt in the photo, this could have been taken behind-the-scenes during filming of the Season 1 episode "The Maze"...as he wears a shirt that looks just like it, in the episode. 

3 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Referring back to my previous post above...I might be wrong about this, but going by Don's blue T-shirt in the photo, this could have been taken behind-the-scenes during filming of the Season 1 episode "The Maze"...as he wears a shirt that looks just like it, in the episode. 

He wears that shirt at OCB near the end of One-Eyed Jack also. 

• Like 2

That video clip is awesome. Great insight into their comradery, before their respective ego's complicated things.

First season production wrapping up. Even though the show only really took off during the summer re-runs, they must've known they were onto something special at this stage.

• Like 1