Episode #76 "Like A Hurricane"

Ferrariman

I'm rather ambivalent toward Wolf myself.  I guess what he brought was the "ripped from the headlines" sensibility.  I don't think S3 was really weaker per se.  S1 and S2 definitely had their weak eps too, but that doesn' negate the entire season.  Some of the best eps imo are in S3.

• Like 1

As far as Wolf--I'm not an expert in any sense, but I definitely enjoyed the first several seasons of the original Law and Order, including the "ripped from the headlines" storylines.  For me, that was something new and different at the time.   I also liked a lot of the S3 MV stories, such as Stone's War.  The topical sensibility appealed to me.

The main point (IMO) about S3--Michael Mann did not want to focus his creative energies on MV any more.  I wish he had, because I felt like he brought a unique vision to the show and characters.  But regardless of who was running the show, it was going to be different because MM wanted out in order to pursue different projects.  No one forced him out, he just wanted to move on.  Obviously in light of succeeding events, that move was less financially successful than staying with MV may have been, but it was his choice.

If the network, Universal, or whoever owned the rights, was going to keep broadcasting new eps of one of their most popular shows, someone else had to be brought in to lead the show.  At the time, a cancelled show with only 2 seasons' worth of episodes was basically a dead duck and was difficult to syndicate (the way the network would recoup its investment).  So any thoughts of dropping the show with Mann's exit were probably not considered.  Today, we might have seen a different result and a show with only 44 episodes could have been shopped out to various streaming services at a profit (ultimately).

On 11/23/2018 at 10:38 PM, Bren10 said:

I'm rather ambivalent toward Wolf myself.  I guess what he brought was the "ripped from the headlines" sensibility.  I don't think S3 was really weaker per se.  S1 and S2 definitely had their weak eps too, but that doesn' negate the entire season.  Some of the best eps imo are in S3.

Season 1 probably has the best episodes. Such a great season.

Edited by RedDragon86

• 3 weeks later...

I still really like this episode.  I like the way it was shot and the color palette.  I also like Sonny's demeanor in this episode.  He starts off like an antagonistic teenager, then he gets way off balance with these new feelings.  It's funny to watch him fumbling.  Props to DJ here.  I have good memories of watching it when it first aired, with all the accompanying publicity.  I think the romance was handled well and not overly obvious.  I think Kevin Costner got a thing or two from this ep.  I'll always remember the boat scene and the night air.  That's the sort of thing that made MV special, even here in the later seasons.  The only problem is the shortness of time that it all happens in.  But I think Sonny and Caitlyn both wanted an insurance policy that they would ultimately be together and not lose each other so what better incentive than marriage?  One thing I've noticed  here on the forum is that a lot of people have more of a problem with Caitlyn than with Sonny turning heel (to use wrestling parlance) and becoming Burnett and slaughtering everyone.  I'm not quite sure what that says about us.  ?(

• Like 2

On 12/14/2018 at 11:15 PM, Bren10 said:

I still really like this episode.  I like the way it was shot and the color palette.  I also like Sonny's demeanor in this episode.  He starts off like an antagonistic teenager, then he gets way off balance with these new feelings.  It's funny to watch him fumbling.  Props to DJ here.  I have good memories of watching it when it first aired, with all the accompanying publicity.  I think the romance was handled well and not overly obvious.  I think Kevin Costner got a thing or two from this ep.  I'll always remember the boat scene and the night air.  That's the sort of thing that made MV special, even here in the later seasons.  The only problem is the shortness of time that it all happens in.  But I think Sonny and Caitlyn both wanted an insurance policy that they would ultimately be together and not lose each other so what better incentive than marriage?  One thing I've noticed  here on the forum is that a lot of people have more of a problem with Caitlyn than with Sonny turning heel (to use wrestling parlance) and becoming Burnett and slaughtering everyone.  I'm not quite sure what that says about us.  ?(

Good review - a fine fall 1987 episode.

9.5/10

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I actually like this entire arc, as well as the chemistry between Sonny and Caitlyn. There was a cloying air about the whole thing, and after the series of train wrecks Sonny had dated I think he deserves some happiness. And so did Caitlyn based on the background we're given. Concur with Matt5 on the rating and Bren10's comments. Given how hard he fell for her, it's easy to understand the break that led to him 'becoming' Burnett.

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I wanted to like it but between it being a bit too formulaic, Sonny being out of character and his endangering his son (bringing a kid to a safehouse? Really?) it just felt forced. It's almost like they were trying to set up his break. Thing is all throughout season 3 they'd been pushing Sonny more and more towards bleakness. It feels like at the beginning of season 4 they tried to pull away from the darkness. After season 2 this show had so much trouble with consistency and tone. Screwing up the order of episodes didn't help. Even if you watch them according to this https://www.imdb.com/list/ls064001008/ it's still inconsistent. I give this episode a 4/10 and that's only because I made it 35 minutes in.

Edited by zidders
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I really like this episode! I like Caitlin (and Sheena Easton). She’s smart, a good singer, a little bit sassy and quick-witted... So it doesn’t seem so odd to me that Sonny wanted to marry her so quick! On my first date with my wife I knew I wanted to marry her. It hurt so much to keep that desire for marriage inside. I did wait six months to propose though! Some people wait years to get married, but I think that if they’re the right one you know right away! I believe in love at first sight 100%!

I suppose it would have made more sense to stretch out their courtship a bit, but with this episode it’s not very clear how long it was from them first meeting until marriage.

Anyway, I really like this episode. To me, love and faith are all that matter in life. I think Sonny and Caitlin were great together, but I also really liked Caroline as well.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

I’ve heard some people think that Sheena Easton was practically a nobody, but that’s definitely not true. In the US, she had fifteen Top 40 hits. Eight Top 10 hits! That’s nothing to shrug off. She also won the Grammy Award for Best New Artist in 1982.

Also, her song “Sugar Walls” caused quite a stir back in the 80’s. The song made it to #9 on the Billboard Hot 100. It was also a part of Tipper Gore’s “Filthy Fifteen” music list.

Edited by AndrewRemington

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, ivoryjones said:

Any idea of who this guy is? I doubt this was not previously discussed, but I couldn't find anything about him.

1659266058_MiamiVice_S4_E08.LikeaHurricane.mkv_snapshot_45.17_2020_09.29_19_04_16.thumb.jpg.7f4368b29dbb81e9288673d4bb9ebf05.jpg

We have discussed it somewhere. 

If it helps you find his name, he usually plays a uniformed cop in MV. He even has a speaking part in “Red Tape” right after Crockett talks to Tubbs in “Red Tape”—something like “I think this guy’s gonna have to come back on his own”. 

Edit: if you’re asking about his role in this episode, I have no idea. Maybe a trusted friend from her music world?

Edited by Dadrian
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2018 at 7:27 PM, RedDragon86 said:

True, here she is on the set with Don, very good actress.

image.png.68b017ab6544e93c95ca90be78d6be6f.png

Thanks God there are diseases out there....

I really like this episode. Crockett and Caitlin have chemistry. Well, this is easy with Sheena Easton being the "Miss Miami Vice" those days. -sigh-

Edited by Mr. Calderon

An actress like Bracco who can act would have made the Caitlin/Sonny arc watchable. Easton acting and the way she ends every sentence with her high pitched Scottish accent is truly unbearable. Her clichéd early 90's black friend/assistant was even worse and equally annoying as well.

Just my view but she was the worst part of the entire show. 

Edited by RedDragon86

8 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Have you ever noticed this episode is right after “Missing Hours”? Maybe Caitlin was beamed down, and Sonny was brainwashed.  :) 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

An actress like Bracco who can act would have made the Caitlin/Sonny arc watchable. Easton acting and the way she ends every sentence with her high pitched Scottish accent is truly unbearable. Her clichéd late 90's black friend/assistant was even worse and equally annoying as well.

lol...seems you didnt watch the 5th season....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

An actress like Bracco who can act would have made the Caitlin/Sonny arc watchable. Easton acting and the way she ends every sentence with her high pitched Scottish accent is truly unbearable. Her clichéd late 90's black friend/assistant was even worse and equally annoying as well.

And I get annoyed by how Bracco stretches her words out and slows down at the end of her s e n  t  en  ces.

At least Easton had star power on her own, which was needed to match DJ's. Plus she wasn't whiny like Bracco can also be at times.

• Like 1

Bracco can act, that's what I think matter's. Easton wouldn't even be good enough for a soap opera like Eastenders here back in the UK.

I don't mind actors who are annoying in their character as long as they can put in a convincing performance. 

Not every guest star on this show could act. And that's an understatement Even some of the principal cast wasn't always great 100% of the time. Easton held her own enough to be believable in who her character was and improved with each successive appearance, especially in DUFE which was most important.The plot with Bracco as an actress simply would not have worked as well as Easton's pop star persona and wouldn't have grabbed the ratings it was admittedly going after.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

Not every guest star on this show could act. And that's an understatement Even some of the principal cast wasn't always great 100% of the time. Easton held her own enough to be believable in who her character was and improved with each successive appearance, especially in DUFE which was most important.The plot with Bracco as an actress simply would not have worked as well as Easton's pop star persona and wouldn't have grabbed the ratings it was admittedly going after.

Agree completely. Easton physically also types well with the kind of women they usually paired Crockett with. 

• Like 2

Theres a part of sheena´s acting that really makes me surprised every time i watch it...its when she talks on the phone (something about bad news travel fast..)...she doesnt allow the guy on the other side of the phone to say anything hahahha... But its okay...when MV started there were some cheese or not sooooo natural parts of acting from Don and Philip too...but it´s okay... 

Edited by Mr. Calderon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Bracco can act, that's what I think matter's. Easton wouldn't even be good enough for a soap opera like Eastenders here back in the UK.

I don't mind actors who are annoying in their character as long as they can put in a convincing performance. 

Well...seems we have a Frank Hackman fan here lolol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

An actress like Bracco who can act would have made the Caitlin/Sonny arc watchable. Easton acting and the way she ends every sentence with her high pitched Scottish accent is truly unbearable. Her clichéd early 90's black friend/assistant was even worse and equally annoying as well.

But was it a cliché in the late 80’s?  I don’t know the answer, but at some point all cliches were a new idea before being overused.

1 hour ago, pahonu said:

But was it a cliché in the late 80’s?  I don’t know the answer, but at some point all cliches were a new idea before being overused.

Well it was a trend, The Candy Man, The Silence Of The Lambs, Timecop, Commando, Above the Law etc.