Episode #76 "Like A Hurricane"

Ferrariman

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Well it was a trend, The Candy Man, The Silence Of The Lambs, Timecop, Commando, Above the Law etc.

Kind of trailing off here, but as even a small child, I remember being impressed by shows/movies that promoted/embraced cultural (and racial) equality or acceptance, and really being enthused by it--especially Miami Vice!

Remember: I lived in a small, rural, ALL WHITE town in the southern USA with 3 TV channels for the first 10 years of my life. I was always ready for something different. I am basically the product of PBS and public radio! :) 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

Well it was a trend, The Candy Man, The Silence Of The Lambs, Timecop, Commando, Above the Law etc.

Those are movies, though. Not TV. And the original? Angela Chiswick? Terrible. Not to mention Caitlin's original name - Erica McBride.

3 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Kind of trailing off here, but as even a small child, I remember being impressed by shows/movies that promoted/embraced cultural (and racial) equality or acceptance, and really being enthused by it--especially Miami Vice!

Remember: I lived in a small, rural, ALL WHITE town in the southern USA with 3 TV channels for the first 10 years of my life. I was always ready for something different. I am basically the product of PBS and public radio! :) 

Kinda the same thing here, except the PBS came out of Salt Lake City and at least one of the TV channels was Canadian. And that was WITH cable. The saving grace was WGN out of Denver.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I agree that it became overused, but all of those examples, except Commando, came after 1987 when Sheena Easton debuted on the show.  Seeing it as a character trope today is completely understandable but I don’t think that would be a fair judgement for 1987.

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Kinda the same thing here, except the PBS came out of Salt Lake City and at least one of the TV channels was Canadian. And that was WITH cable. The saving grace was WGN out of Denver.

I had a little bit of different experience growing up in the LA area.  I’m in Long Beach which is one of the more racially diverse cities in California.  I honestly do not remember taking any special notice of the cast of Miami Vice when it first aired while I was in high school.  The cast didn’t look much different than my classmates.  My friends and I all liked it for the music and style, the car and boat chases, and the unique, for the time, stories.  Interesting to hear all the different experiences.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Well...seems we have a Frank Hackman fan here lolol

Seriously I loved the moment he blew her away :)

I am grateful to old Frank for getting rid of that excruciating soap opera.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Seriously I loved the moment he blew her away :)

I am grateful to old Frank for getting rid of that excruciating soap opera.

Savage! :) :) :) 

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

The film "The Bodyguard" did this type of situation in a much more believable way.

Yes—and with WAY better songs! :) 

• Like 1

I don't know the fact that Whitney Houston in her debut can act and the romance is working in small doses.

Edited by RedDragon86

Just now, RedDragon86 said:

Easton cannot act though.

Neither can Costner. That's why I said I considered it a wash. One half of the couple can act, the other can't.

Although, honestly, in the scope of '70s and '80s celebrity guest stars I thought Easton did ok.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Neither can Costner. That's why I said I considered it a wash. One half of the couple can act, the other can't.

Although, honestly, in the scope of '70s and '80s celebrity guest stars I thought Easton did ok.

The expressions of her eyes were a big give away throughout. She did that so poorly, for example the way she twisting her face in "The Rising Sun Of Death" to Sonny for not agreeing with the real estate agent but, Caty you are doing that right in front of her honey.

She can see you.

Edited by RedDragon86

As far as I'm concerned she was just as believable as Theresa. Or Caroline with her "complaining cop wife" bit (which hasn't EVER been beaten to death in a cop show...at least Blue Bloods breaks with that pattern to a big degree). Or Melanie Griffith...the horror....

9 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Pretty that way, i dont even care if she could talk or sing.

Ugly that way, i care why Helena bonham carter was on the show.

Edited by Mr. Calderon

vor 9 Stunden schrieb RedDragon86:

I don´t know what your scale is for that judgment, but mine is (apart from the fact that my daughter is an actress and I often meet and observe actors and singers back stage and on stage/on camera) the comparison to other non-actor celebrities on the show. And, in that scale she was great (and she is likeable and fits to Crockett, did you consider that Lorraine Bracco - EJOs - ex-wife - was selected and she only dropped out after first day of filming because she got sick? I have a photo of that scene below and she is a total type misfit! Please don´t tell me you would have preferred her?). Ever compared Sheena to Danny Sullivan, Miles Davis, Leonard Cohen, James Brown or the (real) actress who played Tommy the mechanic?

These guys really sucked because they could not even say one sentence that made the viewers believe in their roles. Sheena Easton did a decent job and was the right type for that part and there was really a chemistry with DJ (just disregard for a moment whether we agree with the whole marriage idea overall).

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-08 um 01.11.41.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

All valid points @Tom.

There are scenes where her acting is believable.

Case-in-point for what I can’t stand about her (just one example) is when she answers the phone to her ex-producer(?) while sitting at the piano. She almost says all her lines (statements, questions, everything) in one sentence. How could nobody on the set say, “hey, shouldn’t she allow at least one second between those lines to allow time for the question being asked that she’s answering?”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

I don´t know what your scale is for that judgment, but mine is (apart from the fact that my daughter is an actress and I often meet and observe actors and singers back stage and on stage/on camera) the comparison to other non-actor celebrities on the show. And, in that scale she was great (and she is likeable and fits to Crockett, did you consider that Lorraine Bracco - EJOs - ex-wife - was selected and she only dropped out after first day of filming because she got sick? I have a photo of that scene below and she is a total type misfit! Please don´t tell me you would have preferred her?). Ever compared Sheena to Danny Sullivan, Miles Davis, Leonard Cohen, James Brown or the (real) actress who played Tommy the mechanic?

These guys really sucked because they could not even say one sentence that made the viewers believe in their roles. Sheena Easton did a decent job and was the right type for that part and there was really a chemistry with DJ (just disregard for a moment whether we agree with the whole marriage idea overall).

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-08 um 01.11.41.png

Annie Golden the singer? she was good and funny too, I saw nothing wrong with her and I know about that photo, posted it a while back. How is Bracco not a fit if she didn't even get a chance? like how do you know, at least she can act.

Just because you think those guys didn't perform well doesn't mean she was any good.

Soap actors here in the UK who are generally rubbish or average are 10 times better than Easton, that scene at the beginning of one her episodes where she calls that guy a bastard was excruciating. I suppose she did OK when she was in scene with her assistant because she was even worse.

Edited by RedDragon86

vor 7 Minuten schrieb RedDragon86:

Just because you think those guys didn't perform well doesn't mean she was any good.

I don´t think anyone believes that Danny Sullivan and the other celebrities mentioned were performing well or could act in any way at all. If you think they did but Sheena was bad then you have a very distorted assessment scheme for sure.

I at least tried to come up with some arguments why I think she was decent enough whereas you simply say she is bad. Hard to argue with that non-argument.  

11 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

As far as I'm concerned she was just as believable as Theresa. Or Caroline with her "complaining cop wife" bit (which hasn't EVER been beaten to death in a cop show...at least Blue Bloods breaks with that pattern to a big degree). Or Melanie Griffith...the horror....

The complaining cop wife will go on forever, you see it in shows today, Breaking Bad for example, its their lives. I bet there are thousands of those women in the US today worried about their husbands, its not really a cliche it just part of life.

Edited by RedDragon86