Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

58 minutes ago, Kladdagh said:

My best "character" from the movie is ... PALOMA :)

Ok ... I mean, it is a good movie, but not a typical Bond Movie ... 

And, of course, the ending ... :evil:

yeah Paloma is a cool character

22 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I didn’t care for the new 007 movie at all! The stunts were cool...but other than that the plot was weird/bizarre, and the ending sucked!! :thumbsdown: 

agreed. that DNA targeting virus sends Bond series into a sci-fi dimension i don't get. nanobots, how where? where do they get all these DNAs to propagate the thing. this is sad, because apart from the plot, there were also really cool stuff in that Bond

• Like 1

Didn't like the ending of the latest Bond film either, but it was more believable than the ending of a recent Bond film where he shoots down a helicopter with his Walther PPK 380.

• Like 3

that Bond will have the benefit to have me wanting to watch the Moore again. And got lucky, all the Bond episodes were on sale on a famous french PPV site. got all the Moore in HD for a bit more than 40€, which is gifted

Been watching Octopussy tonight, and even if i noticed few goofs. there are no huge unrealistic moments. everything is more or less plausible

434252248_Capturedcran2021-10-16223624.thumb.jpg.cb4a454a0170b212230e8efd3a9016a1.jpg

the ending soundtrack is quite amazing. one of the best, if not the best of the series

this being said i found L. Lynch really great into the 007 agent role. I could see her in the main role. if there wasn't all that racist, and misogynic bashing

• Like 1

Tonight Halloween (1978).  What more needs to be said.  One of my and ViceFanMan's all time favorite horror film. I remember my High School American Literature teacher Mr. Jason telling us in class he had seen this film and highly recommended we all go see it.  A lot of us did and it was the talk of the the school.  Great movie.  I have to watch it every October. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Tonight Halloween (1978).  What more needs to be said.  One of my and ViceFanMan's all time favorite horror film. I remember my High School American Literature teacher Mr. Jason telling us in class he had seen this film and highly recommended we all go see it.  A lot of us did and it was the talk of the the school.  Great movie.  I have to watch it every October. 

Amen!! One of the best suspenseful & actually scary & believable (everything except Michael Myers not dying) films I’ve ever seen! It didn’t require graphic gore, blood-n-guts, wild special effects, etc...

One of the best & most fascinating aspects of this movie, for me, is its beautiful simplicity! I grew up in small towns like the fictional Haddonfield, and the teens & people were just like the movie...taking the so-called “safety” of a small town for granted, and caught up/preoccupied with their own goofy lives, to where they’re not paying attention. They’re not being observant of what’s going on around them...until it’s too late! 

Evil does exist, although not necessarily in the form of Michael Myers....but Carpenter did a masterful job of personifying evil in that character! The original Halloween will always be superb compared to these new ones! 

• Like 2

I watched Pour Elle (2008). It's a French movie that was really enjoyable.

Two years later, the American remake was titled The Next Three Days (2010) and it was equally thrilling. 

Brian Dennehy from "Amen...Send Money" has a small role in the American version.

1427058892_pourelle.thumb.jpg.7fdb34b8ca3b95edcb719fb242c02058.jpg

945740859_thenextthreedays.thumb.jpg.384caa27a4e9412e4972116d242a2ce7.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

One of the best & most fascinating aspects of this movie, for me, is its beautiful simplicity!

The same can be said for its original score, also by Carpenter. Brilliant stuff.

Edited by OCBman
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Amen!! One of the best suspenseful & actually scary & believable (everything except Michael Myers not dying) films I’ve ever seen! It didn’t require graphic gore, blood-n-guts, wild special effects, etc...

One of the best & most fascinating aspects of this movie, for me, is its beautiful simplicity! I grew up in small towns like the fictional Haddonfield, and the teens & people were just like the movie...taking the so-called “safety” of a small town for granted, and caught up/preoccupied with their own goofy lives, to where they’re not paying attention. They’re not being observant of what’s going on around them...until it’s too late! 

Evil does exist, although not necessarily in the form of Michael Myers....but Carpenter did a masterful job of personifying evil in that character! The original Halloween will always be superb compared to these new ones! 

I too grew up in a small town.  Population 10,000.  I honestly do not remember my parents ever locking the doors of the house at night or even the car doors.  And if we kids ever needed help we could knock on any door and not feel any danger is lurking behind that door. That's what life was really like when I was a kid. Plus I too did babysitting on Halloween night so I can totally relate to what Laurie went through to keep the kids occupied. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I too grew up in a small town.  Population 10,000.  I honestly do not remember my parents ever locking the doors of the house at night or even the car doors.  And if we kids ever needed help we could knock on any door and not feel any danger is lurking behind that door. That's what life was really like when I was a kid. Plus I too did babysitting on Halloween night so I can totally relate to what Laurie went through to keep the kids occupied. 

I grew up in three different small towns...I don’t think any of them even had 10,000. The town I graduated high school from had a population of 978, lol! But, the first town I grew up in was a little bigger...however, I still was able to ride my bike home from school, across town, starting in 1st grade!

As I got older, my friends and I still rode our bikes everywhere all day long during the summer...and my parents probably didn’t know “exactly” where I was at all times. Nowadays there’s no way on God’s green earth you’d let your kids do that!

With drugs and perversion regularly at our reach much easier (sadly even promoted or encouraged) than they used to be...there’s way too many psychos, predators, perverts...and just pure evil! 

Unlike the people in Halloween, be observant...pay attention to what’s going on around you! There was danger & evil around in my towns...just not as prevalent or as much as they are now. But, they were there. When I was around 9 or 10 I had trouble sleeping. I continually felt like someone was watching me. Not as much during the day, but definitely more at night. I was afraid & always felt like someone was somehow looking in the window, watching us. I never actually saw anyone or anything...but I still felt it.

My parents just thought I had an over active imagination, which I did...and probably still do, lol. :p Meanwhile, in my town there became known some weirdo was running around town at night in some kind of ninja outfit (at least that’s what my town’s people called it...who knows what it really looked like?), looking in people’s houses. He’d been seen, chased off, but never caught. Sounds goofy & kind of funny...until he “graduated” to chasing & trying to actually attack people (mainly teen or young girls...but there had been some boys & adults as well) walking home from ballgames on Friday or Saturday nights. 

I’ll never forget one night during that time that all of a sudden about 10:00 at night there was a screaming and pounding at our front door! My dad answered it and a young girl threw herself into his arms screaming and crying and saying “he’s after me, he’s after me, I think he’s trying to kill me!” Meanwhile my mom had taken myself & my younger brother to a back bedroom & wouldn’t let us stay out there.

I found out years later, that the psycho had chased this girl, who was walking to her older sister’s house after a high school football game. She saw our lights on and came there. My dad said he looked out and could see the figure standing there staring at them under the street light partway down the block. But, when the guy realized that a person had come to the door, and she was going to get help he took off running. I always felt like that would’ve been really creepy having that guy just stand under the street light looking at you! :eek: However, with the crazy outfit or get-up he had on my dad couldn’t identify who it was. 

Later, the psycho was finally caught. When police searched his house they found a list of houses he liked to stalk & watch the most...ours was one of them! Do I think my feeling of someone watching me was because this whack-job actually was out there sometimes? Yes. Would he have attacked me or someone else in my family at some point? Who knows...as a child I wasn’t allowed to do much or go somewhere after dark. But, the whole thing is pretty wild and scary to me...even as an adult 35-40 years later! 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I grew up in three different small towns...I don’t think any of them even had 10,000. The town I graduated high school from had a population of 978, lol! But, the first town I grew up in was a little bigger...however, I still was able to ride my bike home from school, across town, starting in 1st grade!

As I got older, my friends and I still rode our bikes everywhere all day long during the summer...and my parents probably didn’t know “exactly” where I was at all times. Nowadays there’s no way on God’s green earth you’d let your kids do that!

With drugs and perversion regularly at our reach much easier (sadly even promoted or encouraged) than they used to be...there’s way too many psychos, predators, perverts...and just pure evil! 

Unlike the people in Halloween, be observant...pay attention to what’s going on around you! There was danger & evil around in my towns...just not as prevalent or as much as they are now. But, they were there. When I was around 9 or 10 I had trouble sleeping. I continually felt like someone was watching me. Not as much during the day, but definitely more at night. I was afraid & always felt like someone was somehow looking in the window, watching us. I never actually saw anyone or anything...but I still felt it.

My parents just thought I had an over active imagination, which I did...and probably still do, lol. :p Meanwhile, in my town there became known some weirdo was running around town at night in some kind of ninja outfit (at least that’s what my town’s people called it...who knows what it really looked like?), looking in people’s houses. He’d been seen, chased off, but never caught. Sounds goofy & kind of funny...until he “graduated” to chasing & trying to actually attack people (mainly teen or young girls...but there had been some boys & adults as well) walking home from ballgames on Friday or Saturday nights. 

I’ll never forget one night during that time that all of a sudden about 10:00 at night there was a screaming and pounding at our front door! My dad answered it and a young girl threw herself into his arms screaming and crying and saying “he’s after me, he’s after me, I think he’s trying to kill me!” Meanwhile my mom had taken myself & my younger brother to a back bedroom & wouldn’t let us stay out there.

I found out years later, that the psycho had chased this girl, who was walking to her older sister’s house after a high school football game. She saw our lights on and came there. My dad said he looked out and could see the figure standing there staring at them under the street light partway down the block. But, when the guy realized that a person had come to the door, and she was going to get help he took off running. I always felt like that would’ve been really creepy having that guy just stand under the street light looking at you! :eek: However, with the crazy outfit or get-up he had on my dad couldn’t identify who it was. 

Later, the psycho was finally caught. When police searched his house they found a list of houses he liked to stalk & watch the most...ours was one of them! Do I think my feeling of someone watching me was because this whack-job actually was out there sometimes? Yes. Would he have attacked me or someone else in my family at some point? Who knows...as a child I wasn’t allowed to do much or go somewhere after dark. But, the whole thing is pretty wild and scary to me...even as an adult 35-40 years later! 

you killed me man. a ninja stalker. should have bee terrifying for a little kid though. But i nearly peed onto myself. what was the story end. did the pal commit any serious crime

38 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

you killed me man. a ninja stalker. should have bee terrifying for a little kid though. But i nearly peed onto myself. what was the story end. did the pal commit any serious crime

I’m actually not sure how it totally ended...other than he went to jail (probably eventually prison). He assaulted and/or attempted to assault/attack (sexually, I’m not sure??) people...so I’d assume those would have been prison warranted crimes. I never heard anymore about it after the guy was arrested, and I have no idea whatever became of him.

• Like 1

In other countries, like England or anywhere small, it is SO easy for one person to do the most lurid crime, and stay under the public or authority's radar.  That was back before we had an internet or computer socializing.
In the US, you easily overlook how ENORMOUS the continent is, so wide that people speak American in more than 30 distinct accents.  So a ninja-stalker or similarly creepy individual,... sadly is probably multiplied compared with smaller area countries, with thousands of individual murderer-kooks who claimed lives across this big country without ever getting the press spotlight that they get today.  Many without ever getting traced by the authorities and finally discovered.  So many small towns, so many reasons NOT to imagine such a thing in your neighborhood growing up, so SO many opportunities to easily become victim to one of those nutters.  

Like M. Night Shallyman (sorry about the bad spelling), Carpenter knows how to simply layout a thing that scares you.  As a child, we each know what some things are--it's clear in our minds that this thing scares us--but it's just so darn hard for most film creators to LAY IT OUT clear and simply on film.  
Unlike Carpenter, M. Night DOESN'T know how to CONCLUDE a scary story very well.  Most of his good premises... have wretchedly unsatisfying endings to the story.  It's a sin not to be able to END a groovy story properly for the audience.  
Carpenter does good endings on hie movies.  By good, I mean he doesn't leave the audience feeling like they got short-changed, or received an ending that wasn't on the same clever level as the rest of the movie.

It's a little bit of a shame when a franchise takes over a good movie, and a whole batch of sequel/prequel movies have to follow.  Carpenter's Halloween all on its own, would have been a gem in history.  Nowadays, only those of us who grew up in that period, remember and give it the salute that movie deserves.

Tonight I watched the film Carrie (1976).  Sissy Spacek is fantastic as the bullied high schooler with telekinetic powers who is tricked to come to the school prom and a horrible joke is played on her.  She gets her revenge in her own special way.  There is one major jump scare near the very end that still makes me freak out. A highly recommended horror film. 

• Like 2

Midnight express. even if different from the book (from what i read. just purchased the book, but didn't read it yet) still very enjoyable916131218_Capturedcran2021-10-23215823.thumb.jpg.5fd18932c2a6558d374b6eeff7595f7b.jpg

• Like 1

Miracle-Mile-Cherry-2000.jpeg.984c7fda176abfd649182a18a622221d.jpeg

I watched both of these cult movies by Steve De Jarnatt this week.

The first one Miracle Mile was from a 4chan post recommendation and I struggle to find words for this movie. I'm kinda annoyed it's such a disorienting and tonal mess with a poorly cast female lead. It had such a promising start and great potential. If you see it like I did blind you won't believe what's going on. Also worth noting a Tangerine Dream score.

Cherry 2000, I knew what the director was about and this was his debut so was prepared for the wackiness. It never pretends anything more than a silly b-movie. Searching for a replacement female companion robot out in the desert. It's elevated by another talented composer Basil Poledouris. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 2:23 PM, OCBman said:

I watched Pour Elle (2008). It's a French movie that was really enjoyable.

Two years later, the American remake was titled The Next Three Days (2010) and it was equally thrilling. 

Brian Dennehy from "Amen...Send Money" has a small role in the American version.

1427058892_pourelle.thumb.jpg.7fdb34b8ca3b95edcb719fb242c02058.jpg

945740859_thenextthreedays.thumb.jpg.384caa27a4e9412e4972116d242a2ce7.jpg

I saw this on Netflix a couple of nights ago too. It starts off believable then becomes a farce. There's something about Elizabeth Banks I've always found really dislikable so had no sympathy for that character. It predates her Charlie's Angel's directorial work when she made some ridiculous comments defending that box office bomb.

738329252953.thumb.jpeg.abe3949a843d3c2708694045bd1f3ec9.jpeg

watched this tonight, Don Johnson, came out in 1990. Somehow went under my radar.

I loved it and he's great in it. Essential viewing and I assume most have seen it already.

• Like 3

:hot:I had a laserdisc of this, when I still had a laserdisc player.  

I think it was Jennifer Connelly in the credits that made me buy it (cheap at the Laserland store).  But it didn't thrill me when I saw it.  Then later I saw it was directed by Dennis Hopper, and... I figured it's just my lack of enthusiasm for Dennis Hopper's directed pictures that is making me give this a thumbs down.  

Maybe I'll watch it again sometime.  

Ironically, it's hard for me to say Don Johnson is a very good actor.  I've seen him in more poorly done work than I have in well-fitted roles like Crockett or Nash.  Maybe that's it: maybe he's the kind of actor who needs to be "fitted" to the right role, not an actor who can shape up into the role as a challenge to his abilities

• Like 1

I returned to the cinema last week seeing The French DispatchDune and Last Night in Soho.  Dune really isn't my sort of thing - it's certainly watchable, but I still prefer David Lynch's nutty 1984 version. 

The French Dispatch and Last Night in Soho are fun, clever thrill rides.  I imagine they'll end up in my 5 best films of the year list. 

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 1

been watching death race 2000 yesterday. And personally i find that movie underrated. love that kind of movies like soilent green, or Rollerball. where Men/Women find themselves into a s..y situation, and raise the question of the masses inertia

Tis the season for Christmas movie watching.  Started my viewing by watching the classic A ChristmasCarol.  The 1951 version.  Alastar Sim gives a riveting performance as the penny pinching Ebenezer Scrooge.  Starting out in the film as a cold man who despises that Christmas takes away his only employee for a day of non work.  He is visited by the ghost of the only friend he ever had and three Christmas Ghosts who teach him the true meaning of Christmas.  By the end of the  movie he becomes a jolly giving man.  What is truly amazing is the fact it was filmed on an English soundstage and the special effects are believable.  I know there have been many remakes but this is my personal favorite. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Tis the season for Christmas movie watching.  Started my viewing by watching the classic A ChristmasCarol.  The 1951 version.  Alastar Sim gives a riveting performance as the penny pinching Ebenezer Scrooge.  Starting out in the film as a cold man who despises that Christmas takes away his only employee for a day of non work.  He is visited by the ghost of the only friend he ever had and three Christmas Ghosts who teach him the true meaning of Christmas.  By the end of the  movie he becomes a jolly giving man.  What is truly amazing is the fact it was filmed on an English soundstage and the special effects are believable.  I know there have been many remakes but this is my personal favorite. 

Amen!! :thumbsup: It’s a little early for me to start watching Christmas movies ;), but when I do this one is always a must with me! In my opinion it’s the best version, and captures & portrays the classic tale perfectly! :clap: 

I have both the original black-n-white & colorized versions. I don’t always like a colorized version of an original B&W movie...but this was done in a way to look like an old fashioned Christmas card...it’s amazing! :glossy:

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve somehow made it almost 42 trips around the sun without seeing “Apocalypse Now”. 

I watched it on Netflix last night. 

Here’s my review:

HOLY $H!T

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Haha 2