Episode #111 "Freefall"

Ferrariman

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

I just noticed a goof at the end when Castillo pulls up after C&T toss their badges on the ground. Castillo pulls up in his Plymouth Gran Fury but the car changes. It’s the same model and color, but the license plate changes and the metal emblems disappear. Maybe this happens more often, but just noticed it watching a clip of the final scene on YouTube. 

1A8C4305-47C7-49EF-BD81-306E40DAC510.jpeg

37ABFCD8-39AA-474C-B0EC-31533184FE48.jpeg

Awesome catch! The bumper is different as well. They used both early to mid 1980s Plymouth Gran Furys & Dodge Diplomats (which were almost mirrors of each other) on the show. However, both of these cars could have been Furys...just a different model year maybe? 

I understand that different scenes in episodes are filmed at different times, but you would think whatever vehicles and wardrobe they have in place for those scenes they would continue to use them until they’re done with them. However, especially on older shows, sometimes you’ll notice different vehicles or slight changes in wardrobe for supposedly the same scene. ?( 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Paul Michael Glaser should have directed the finale because on the show he was capable of doing things on a big scale.

I never like this story, at this point I was so burnt out with the amount of Latin generals.

Agreed...Freefall was a disappointment & was not worthy of a 2hr episode...nor should it have been used as the series finale. :o 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Agreed...Freefall was a disappointment & was not worthy of a 2hr episode...nor should it have been used as the series finale. :o 

One of my gripes with it is Don Johnson didn't seem motivated into doing it, he looked like he was about to doze off at any moment.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Awesome catch! The bumper is different as well. They used both early to mid 1980s Plymouth Gran Furys & Dodge Diplomats (which were almost mirrors of each other) on the show. However, both of these cars could have been Furys...just a different model year maybe? 

I understand that different scenes in episodes are filmed at different times, but you would think whatever vehicles and wardrobe they have in place for those scenes they would continue to use them until they’re done with them. However, especially on older shows, sometimes you’ll notice different vehicles or slight changes in wardrobe for supposedly the same scene. ?( 

Thanks, I didn’t notice the bumper until you pointed out, that is different too! I’m not an expert, but yeah, the one without the emblems could be a Diplomat. My friend’s dad had a Diplomat of the same style when I was younger (unsure of the year). I love vintage cars up until the early 90s or so.

35 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

One of my gripes with it is Don Johnson didn't seem motivated into doing it, he looked like he was about to doze off at any moment.

He does look really sleepy or worn out at times.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

By this point, everything seemed very disjointed & disorganized. They couldn’t even get all the episodes aired in proper order—with 3 more airing after Freefall & resulting in the “lost episodes” myth. The show had also already been officially cancelled after that season was done, and sadly I think a lot of the motivation was gone with everyone. 

However, as I’ve stated before the episode World of Trouble was a Season 5 gem! It was very reminiscent of Seasons 1&2, dealt with a character from the beginning (aka MV glory days), and in my opinion all the motivation & original “MV power” was still there. It should have been tweaked & elongated out, and used as the 2hr finale instead! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

Thanks, I didn’t notice the bumper until you pointed out, that is different too! I’m not an expert, but yeah, the one without the emblems could be a Diplomat. My friend’s dad had a Diplomat of the same style when I was younger (unsure of the year). I love vintage cars up until the early 90s or so.

I love cars...especially vintage or classic ones! So, in any TV show or movie I’m always looking at and paying attention to the vehicles, lol! They could have used a Fury & a Diplomat for whatever reasons...but, again it just seems strange that they would not use the same vehicle until they were done filming the scene? Oh well...the uniqueness of vintage television! :p

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I just noticed a goof at the end when Castillo pulls up after C&T toss their badges on the ground. Castillo pulls up in his Plymouth Gran Fury but the car changes. It’s the same model and color, but the license plate changes and the metal emblems disappear. Maybe this happens more often, but just noticed it watching a clip of the final scene on YouTube. 

1A8C4305-47C7-49EF-BD81-306E40DAC510.jpeg

37ABFCD8-39AA-474C-B0EC-31533184FE48.jpeg

Yes this scene was shot at two different times with Olmos shooting his scenes separate to Don and Philip. Don, Philip and Olmos never actually filmed any scenes together in Freefall. The last episode in which they all appear together on screen is “Over The Line”. Olmos left the show after that and shaved his hair off. I can only assume he had no intention of returning until producers requested him to come back so they could insert him into the final episode. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

By this point, everything seemed very disjointed & disorganized. They couldn’t even get all the episodes aired in proper order—with 3 more airing after Freefall & resulting in the “lost episodes” myth. 

What do you mean, episodes not in proper order?  It was exactly the correct order, as intended.  Freefall was supposed to come before the Trouble, the Miracle and the Too Little episodes.  Tubbs and Crockett threw down their badges and sold the boat,... but came back to work and continue Miami Dade as normal.
You, know,... it's like when the employee and the boss have a bad spat, and they all had too much coffee to drink and he says "Screw this dumb job--I quit!"  And the guy says "Oh yeah?--well you can't quit, cuz you're fired--I'm firing you right now!"  And HE says "You can't fire me, cuz I just quit. Too late, Pal!  Sport!!"  And the next day they both come to work and it's business as usual---morning briefing, grab the car keys, and go after some guy who's carrying a chocolate gun.

And go pick up your boat, cuz the guy knew were going to come round to buy it back.:p

4 minutes ago, Augusta said:

What do you mean, episodes not in proper order?  It was exactly the correct order, as intended.  Freefall was supposed to come before the Trouble, the Miracle and the Too Little episodes.  Tubbs and Crockett threw down their badges and sold the boat,... but came back to work and continue Miami Dade as normal.
You, know,... it's like when the employee and the boss have a bad spat, and they all had too much coffee to drink and he says "Screw this dumb job--I quit!"  And the guy says "Oh yeah?--well you can't quit, cuz you're fired--I'm firing you right now!"  And HE says "You can't fire me, cuz I just quit. Too late, Pal!  Sport!!"  And the next day they both come to work and it's business as usual---morning briefing, grab the car keys, and go after some guy who's carrying a chocolate gun.

And go pick up your boat, cuz the guy knew were going to come round to buy it back.:p

Yeah...sure...that’s it. :p Actually Leap of Faith was the other one, Too Much Too Late was the only true lost episode. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I agree... Dang it, after all the "cool" you have all been through, Brown and Thomas and Santiago, and losing Zito, and the Noogies, and all the guest stars, the hard work---Don, if this is your last filmed episode, no matter what money arguments or production weariness, give this one your all!  Deliver your 100% Sonny Crockett--summon the last drops of commitment out of yourself, like a good actor like you would want to do.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a recent analysis video I posted on my channel. Since rediscovering the series back in 2019, I’ve always wondered what happened after Freefall. Upon multiple rewatches of the show, I concluded this theory. I know some won’t agree and that’s totally fine. In my eyes, due to the multiple references within the show, this is what I feel actually happened in the immediate aftermath of Freefall.

Edited by Miami Beau
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

That was good .. I like some ideas, specially about Tubbs's plans.

About Sonny, hum ... I don't agree, but, it is just me :)

Thanks for this @Miami Beau :thumbsup:

Hey @Kladdagh, no worries buddie, glad you liked the video. As mentioned, I know not everyone might agree but for me, this is what I tend to go with.
So upon rewatching the show from the start, in the back of my mind, im now always thinking Crockett ends up with Kathleen and Tubbs with Valerie ect…which gives me as a viewer, a different perspective on things. 

Edited by Miami Beau
  • Like 1

Well done, Beau. I could see that happening.

My big question is, what path do you think Switek takes? He clearly has a vicious dark side.

image.thumb.jpeg.dfd3b22d7e674d3d7dd9b04eddcb408e.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OCBman said:

Well done, Beau. I could see that happening.

My big question is, what path do you think Switek takes? He clearly has a vicious dark side.

image.thumb.jpeg.dfd3b22d7e674d3d7dd9b04eddcb408e.jpeg

That's true @OCBman !! Stan were never the same after Larry's death ... Would be interesting to think about his path ;(

Stan's trajectory might have changed with the departure of Sonny, honestly. I already explored some of this, but there are many options.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Stan's trajectory might have changed with the departure of Sonny, honestly. I already explored some of this, but there are many options.

I remember thant @Robbie C. ... I just stayed in the work of @Miami Beau :thumbsup:

On 7/16/2022 at 10:55 AM, Miami Beau said:

This is a recent analysis video I posted on my channel. Since rediscovering the series back in 2019, I’ve always wondered what happened after Freefall. Upon multiple rewatches of the show, I concluded this theory. I know some won’t agree and that’s totally fine. In my eyes, due to the multiple references within the show, this is what I feel actually happened in the immediate aftermath of Freefall.

Interesting analysis! For Tubbs, sadly you’re probably right. Valerie was toxic and I don’t believe could contribute to a relationship with any man...she was about herself & her own agenda only. But, Rico could never get her out of his system...she was like Tubbs’ drug. Seemed really pleasurable & exciting to him, but in reality was destructive & ultimately offered nothing but heartache. However, if he did go back to NYC, he probably did go to try and reconnect with her...for more heartache. :rolleyes:

As for Crockett...interesting take, but I’ll be honest and say that I don’t see the things that Sonny said in “Freefall” as references back to “Bad Timing”. River water is usually colder than ocean water...at least down in Florida area, and Crockett had cold beers in multiple episodes. ;) 

Kathleen was just a nice bar lady that Sonny met while trying to take a vacation (after being allowed to return to his job of a cop, after previously supposedly losing his memory & turning into a drug dealer-killer :p), and having the “bad timing” of showing up at the bar the same time as criminals...hence the episode title.

However, you are right, she is the first lady to get Crockett to dance...at least that we saw! :) But...no one else was there or around. It was just him & Kathleen. In all the other episodes where women asked him to dance, it was always in clubs of some kind and tons of other people were around. I don’t know if he really considered Kathleen to be that much more special than any of the other ladies he’d been with, maybe he was just embarrassed to dance in front of other people? 

If what Crockett says in the finale is to be taken literally, and not just a figure of speech meaning to get out of Miami and/or Florida, then I think he’s probably referring to the Bahamas or Caribbean somewhere, or maybe Mexico. 

But, cool video and thoughts on possible theories of what might have happened. :thumbsup: I have always been greatly disappointed with “Freefall” as the finale for it all. To me “World of Trouble” should have been tweaked & elongated out, and used as the finale instead. But, that’s just me! :dance2:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The worst thing about the finale for me is how Stan, Gina and Trudy are just ignored for the final part of the episode. Even Castillo after how close Crockett and Tubbs were with him just essentially throw their badges at him and walk away. Such an unsatisfying ending. They should have at least had a scene with the other main characters on the boat or at OCB for the final scene.

• Like 5

On 7/16/2022 at 12:55 PM, Miami Beau said:

Interesting perspective.

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2022 at 4:55 PM, Miami Beau said:

Great piece - thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 5:50 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Interesting analysis! For Tubbs, sadly you’re probably right. Valerie was toxic and I don’t believe could contribute to a relationship with any man...she was about herself & her own agenda only. But, Rico could never get her out of his system...she was like Tubbs’ drug. Seemed really pleasurable & exciting to him, but in reality was destructive & ultimately offered nothing but heartache. However, if he did go back to NYC, he probably did go to try and reconnect with her...for more heartache. :rolleyes:

As for Crockett...interesting take, but I’ll be honest and say that I don’t see the things that Sonny said in “Freefall” as references back to “Bad Timing”. River water is usually colder than ocean water...at least down in Florida area, and Crockett had cold beers in multiple episodes. ;) 

Kathleen was just a nice bar lady that Sonny met while trying to take a vacation (after being allowed to return to his job of a cop, after previously supposedly losing his memory & turning into a drug dealer-killer :p), and having the “bad timing” of showing up at the bar the same time as criminals...hence the episode title.

However, you are right, she is the first lady to get Crockett to dance...at least that we saw! :) But...no one else was there or around. It was just him & Kathleen. In all the other episodes where women asked him to dance, it was always in clubs of some kind and tons of other people were around. I don’t know if he really considered Kathleen to be that much more special than any of the other ladies he’d been with, maybe he was just embarrassed to dance in front of other people? 

If what Crockett says in the finale is to be taken literally, and not just a figure of speech meaning to get out of Miami and/or Florida, then I think he’s probably referring to the Bahamas or Caribbean somewhere, or maybe Mexico. 

But, cool video and thoughts on possible theories of what might have happened. :thumbsup: I have always been greatly disappointed with “Freefall” as the finale for it all. To me “World of Trouble” should have been tweaked & elongated out, and used as the finale instead. But, that’s just me! :dance2:

Some good comments here, VFM.   To me, the best bit of Freefall was that it was  so inevitable. "Been a long time coming" Crockett said, and he was right. I wish they'd done a few more seasons before it did come of course! However (to me anyway) it'd have been more satisfying if the two of them hadn't parted and gone separately into limbo. That didn't seem acceptable after all the time they'd  spent together, closer than brothers. Someone on here made a good point which is pertinent to this ending, and this was that (I think) Tubbs seemed as if he would have an existence outside his job but Crockett didn't. Crockett was essentially defined by his job-I've always felt this myself-so much so that it's hard to imagine him not being in it. What else would he do? No wonder they didn't specify, when I think about it! As for it truly being the finale, I do think it was the best choice.

Edited by wolfie1996
detail amended!
  • Like 3

As cool and Crockett-ish as the line is about "somewhere where the water's warm and drinks are cold", I'd have rather him said, "Hell, I'll find somethin to keep me busy when I get to Atlanta.  At least I'll get to see more of Billy."  And as corny as it may sound, It would've been nice to see the group having a last meal together.  But....at least we got a finale.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

Some good comments here, VFM.   To me, the best bit of Freefall was that it was  so inevitable. "Been a long time coming" Crockett said, and he was right. I wish they'd done a few more seasons before it did come of course! However (to me anyway) it'd have been more satisfying if the two of them hadn't parted and gone separately into limbo. That didn't seem acceptable after all the time they'd  spent together, closer than brothers. Someone on here made a good point which is pertinent to this ending, and this was that (I think) Tubbs seemed as if he would have an existence outside his job but Crockett didn't. Crockett was essentially defined by his job-I've always felt this myself-so much so that it's hard to imagine him not being in it. What else would he do? No wonder they didn't specify, when I think about it! As for it truly being the finale, I do think it was the best choice.

I agree, leaving Crockett & Tubbs sort of in “limbo” wasn’t the greatest...and the rest of the cast was all but ignored. 

I think that both Crockett & Tubbs would have found other jobs...but probably both still in law enforcement of some kind. Crockett may have taken a “breather” or break from it for a while...but, I agree, it’s who he was. He’d of eventually found cop work somewhere. 

• Like 2