Episode #111 "Freefall"

Ferrariman

4 hours ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

When it comes to Vice, a lot of the time I like to bolster some of the narratives that the show presented in my mind (like picturing the working relationship between Tubbs & Clarence Batisse or the early rowdiness of Crockett, Evan Freed, and Mike Orgel), so many times what the show has alluded to but not displayed gets me thinking.

LOL! Me too, you aren't alone. I've never wrote any fan fiction story. I have had some ideas just popping into my mind (even a crazy crossover with a short lived series from J.Cannel) but some are left forgotten. I jotted down a couple of them and I need the others to get back in :). Time to sit down and just start writing whatever.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

There's a strong reminder of the Sonny Burnett arc for me in 'Freefall' when Crockett interacts with Highsmith, and knowing that at one time Crockett really had lost it.

That's when Crockett asks Highsmith about Tubbs and threatens to shoot him so the blood coming out his head would make the background wall look like an impressionist painting :).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sdiegolo78 said:

That's when Crockett asks Highsmith about Tubbs and threatens to shoot him so the blood coming out his head would make the background wall look like an impressionist painting :).

Yeah, I love that line from Crockett:).

26 minutes ago, Adrian321 said:

Not biology as a whole. But arguments from it. I used it earlier to support my argument that Crockett didn't ruin his character. 

And yea........ the last part, being allowed to return is ridiculous. I can't dissagree with you on this one.

22 minutes ago, Adrian321 said:

And yes, I think we should end the topic now..... We made like 2-3 pages on "Freefall" about the Burnett saga. That is funny somehow when I think about it. How carried away we get when we want to proove/disproove something.

Maybe a few aspects, but it was mostly unrealistic, unbelievable, and what Crockett became is what I think ruined his character in most fan’s minds. In all honesty all that Burnett stuff was just created for shock value...to try and get people to watch again. It wasn’t based on reality at all. 

Its very easy to get caught up in all kinds of discussions and thoughts on this show/episodes/characters in almost any thread...that’s one thing I find fun about MV! :dance2: But, then I realize if the majority of it is not about the actual episode or character that the thread was initially about...it probably is not relevant for that thread. I find myself doing that all the time. :funky: 

• Haha 1

This is a pic from somewhere else on the site...but one of the few aspects of Freefall that I actually like! This would be Crockett’s KU T-shirt, LOL! 

7E01B0E8-750A-407E-AA25-D031501CDB04.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan

4 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

I know fanfics are not canon but they do illustrate  there are possibilities that weren't explored.

Yes, that's what are written for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Titus said:

(Maybe they were just a dream Crockett had... anyone ever thought of that? I'm sure someone has.)

If they were a dream, then Hackman too in 'deliver us from evil'?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

If they were a dream, then Hackman too in 'deliver us from evil'?

Yes. I'd be willing to accept everything from when he met Caitlin right up to "Bad Timing" was a dream Sonny had while he was under after getting shot in "A Bullet for Crockett" and the motorcycle trip was something he did on his recovery leave... so Hackman never actually returned to Miami and is still out there somewhere.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Maybe a few aspects, but it was mostly unrealistic, unbelievable, and what Crockett became is what I think ruined his character in most fan’s minds. In all honesty all that Burnett stuff was just created for shock value...to try and get people to watch again. It wasn’t based on reality at all. 

Its very easy to get caught up in all kinds of discussions and thoughts on this show/episodes/characters in almost any thread...that’s one thing I find fun about MV! :dance2: But, then I realize if the majority of it is not about the actual episode or character that the thread was initially about...it probably is not relevant for that thread. I find myself doing that all the time. :funky: 

I think for the invention of the full Sonny Burnett Vice performed a soap opera stunt there (like "Dallas" with bobby in the shower), which definitely was intended for shock value & a ratings boost. For me, the saving grace is that the show set it up a little by Crockett saying to Gina in the Pilot that somedays he REMEMBERS who he is, and the whole ordeal with 'Shadow in the Dark' (Crockett desperately telling the victim of The Shadow, "I'm a cop, I'm a cop"; Crockett's dream at the end there dealt with a police two-way mirror, then here comes 'Mirror Image').

18 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

This is a pic from somewhere else on the site...but one of the few aspects of Freefall that I actually like! This would be Crockett’s KU T-shirt, LOL! 

7E01B0E8-750A-407E-AA25-D031501CDB04.jpeg

I love that shirt; my favorite college basketball team:-).

• Like 1

Due to the introduction of "Captain" Highsmith (oh captain, no captain as far as I'm concerned) in 'Over the Line', I like to view that episode before viewing 'Freefall', since Highsmith is in both (I'd say he was killed by friendly fire, but no one on either side was friends with Highsmith at the trailer shootout:)); I don't always need Vice continuity, but I like it there (I also liked viewing the three main Catlin episodes in a row). What a piece of work his character was though, he had a lot of things he was involved in that were flat corrupt.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Titus said:

Yes. I'd be willing to accept everything from when he met Caitlin right up to "Bad Timing" was a dream Sonny had while he was under after getting shot in "A Bullet for Crockett" and the motorcycle trip was something he did on his recovery leave... so Hackman never actually returned to Miami and is still out there somewhere.

Interesting take. But he gets shot in "A Bullet for Crockett" after meeting Caitlin though...

19 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

What a piece of work his character was though, he had a lot of things he was involved in that were flat corrupt.

Miami Police had a serious corruption problem back in the 80s. That especially in the first part of the decade during the war on drugs.

• Like 1

Just now, sdiegolo78 said:

Miami Police had a serious corruption problem back in the 80s. That especially in the first part of the decade during the war on drugs.

Yeah, that's true: I ended up learning a fair amount about the Miami Police department corrupt case (the basis for Vice's 'Badge of Dishonor') from shows like "The F.B.I. Files" and a segment of "Unsolved mysteries", along with reading more about it online. The character of Highsmith was really right in line (or 'Over the Line') with that level of corruption (a lot of the corruption was attributed to the Mariel boat lift and the McDuffie riots, so the force ended up hiring marginal officer candidates to assist in those matters, and that's when things really went sideways).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Yeah, that's true: I ended up learning a fair amount about the Miami Police department corrupt case (the basis for Vice's 'Badge of Dishonor') from shows like "The F.B.I. Files" and a segment of "Unsolved mysteries", along with reading more about it online. The character of Highsmith was really right in line (or 'Over the Line') with that level of corruption (a lot of the corruption was attributed to the Mariel boat lift and the McDuffie riots, so the force ended up hiring marginal officer candidates to assist in those matters, and that's when things really went sideways).

True, and more of that is covered in the Cocaine Cowboys docufilm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

True, and more of that is covered in the Cocaine Cowboys docufilm.

Wow, I forgot to mention "Cocaine Cowboys" (oh, how many times I've viewed that, and I had Showtime back in the day, which aired it plenty!); definitely, the corruption is spoken of on that docufilm as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Wow, I forgot to mention "Cocaine Cowboys" (oh, how many times I've viewed that, and I had Showtime back in the day, which aired it plenty!); definitely, the corruption is spoken of on that docufilm as well.

And I actually was surprised to hear one of the former detectives being interviewed (Al Singleton), when he mentioned the inadequate fire power (police standard issued .38) to counter the Colombians and Cuban gangs. They then switched to 9mm semi automatic pistols. Furthermore, a special police detectives bureau called Centac 26 was set up in 1980 to deal specifically with drugs related shootings. I think that is what partly inspired the fictitious 'OCB' for MV.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sdiegolo78 said:

And I actually was surprised to hear one of the former detectives being interviewed (Al Singleton), when he mentioned the inadequate fire power (police standard issued .38) to counter the Colombians and Cuban gangs. They then switched to 9mm semi automatic pistols. Furthermore, a special police detectives bureau called Centac 26 was set up in 1980 to deal specifically with drugs related shootings. I think that is what partly inspired the fictitious 'OCB' for MV.

Sadly, the lack of firepower also affected the F.B.I. in the 1986 shootout between them & two violent bank robbers in Dade county. After that, they were equipped with weapons that had more stopping power, but lives were lost.

Yeah, I thought Al Singleton was a fountain of information on "Cocaine Cowboys", and he was onscreen when the Centac 26 room was displayed via reenactment on the Miami corruption case for that "The F.B.I. Files" episode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I love that shirt; my favorite college basketball team:-).

Mine too. I don’t think Don acknowledges his Kansas ties much anymore (although Wichita & Salina both are referenced in different episodes of MV), but he grew up & went to high school in Wichita. Then went to KU...where he first became interested in acting & theater. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Sadly, the lack of firepower also affected the F.B.I. in the 1986 shootout between them & two violent bank robbers in Dade county.

Didn't know about this incident...I must look for that "The F.B.I. Files" episode and watch it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

Mine too. I don’t think Don acknowledges his Kansas ties much anymore (although Wichita & Salina both are referenced in different episodes of MV), but he grew up & went to high school in Wichita. Then went to KU...where he first became interested in acting & theater. 

The last time I saw Don Johnson mention Kansas directly was for the TV intro for the 2008 Orange Bowl between Kansas & Virginia Tech (he did a little bit of his Crockett thing there).

I always thought it was cool that DJ did some theater work with Sal Mineo's company early in his start and living in San Francisco. Mineo struck me as a guy who knew what he was doing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Didn't know about this incident...I must look for that "The F.B.I. Files" episode and watch it.

The episode is called "Firefight", and if you can't find it on TV it's currently on YouTube.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

The episode is called "Firefight", and if you can't find it on TV it's currently on YouTube.

Cheers buddy! Will watch it over the weekend...for the FBI to intervene, these guys must have been serious robbers and operating in different states, I'd suspect.

By the way, I found "cocaine cowboys 2" online which deals with Griselda Blanco in greater details. Will have a look at that too!

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Cheers buddy! Will watch it over the weekend...for the FBI to intervene, these guys must have been serious robbers and operating in different states, I'd suspect.

By the way, I found "cocaine cowboys 2" online which deals with Griselda Blanco in greater details. Will have a look at that too!

These robbers were former military men and loaded to bear; oh, and both men had wives who were suspiciously murdered. These two were serious threats, although they had clean records beforehand. The F.B.I. got involved due to the pair robbing multiple banks (they were very violent about it), but it was contained to Florida.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

The last time I saw Don Johnson mention Kansas directly was for the TV intro for the 2008 Orange Bowl between Kansas & Virginia Tech (he did a little bit of his Crockett thing there).

I always thought it was cool that DJ did some theater work with Sal Mineo's company early in his start and living in San Francisco. Mineo struck me as a guy who knew what he was doing.

True! :thumbsup:

• Like 1