Episode #111 "Freefall"

Ferrariman

On 5/16/2019 at 10:36 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, I think I’ve read before that one original idea was to ultimately have Crockett be killed at the end...but at least they had the “intelligence” to discard that idea. 

But the show was definitely done, and new producers & writers had all but destroyed it. They originally even still had 3 other episodes to air yet, after the so-called Freefall finale...going into June of 1989. Many think those 3 episodes were “lost” episodes never aired, as Freefall was aired as & considered the end. But that’s not true...they just didn’t know that 3 more episodes aired later, when everything else was in reruns by then. So even the organization and “flow” of things was cluster-chaos by then. :(

What a mess! Oh, well, at least we can look back today and connect all the dots. Back in 1989-90, we didn't have that luxury! 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

Just now, mjcmmv said:

What a mess! Oh, well, at leas can look back today and connect all the dots. Back in 1989-90, we didn't have that luxury! 

So true!! But the next year, in 1990, we did get to finally see the one true “lost” episode on the USA network. I’m grateful for my DVDs and being able to watch the entire show whenever I want! 

• Like 3

Just now, ViceFanMan said:

So true!! But the next year, in 1990, we did get to finally see the one true “lost” episode on the USA network. I’m grateful for my DVDs and being able to watch the entire show whenever I want! 

Agreed!!! :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

(snipped) Knowing about and even planning the shows end and finale—they still should have done much better than Freefall! The finale should not have been a “political”, out of the country, episode that left you depressed and hanging. :thumbsdown: Even “darker” or more gritty-realistic shows can, and even need, a good or positive end that gives the characters & viewers closure. CSI was a very dark and gritty  show for its time...and it planned out & had a superb 2hr finale TV movie, that ended everything (characters, plot lines, possible future reunions, etc...) perfectly!  For its time, MV should have done something like that. 

I agree with this and wish that NBC had given us a more satisfying ending. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MarsAutomatic said:

Should I watch the "lost" episodes before Freefall?

Yes. I would. And that's the order they're presented in on the dvd/blu ray sets.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

Yes. I would. And that's the order they're presented in on the dvd/blu ray sets.

Im on season 5 and I was just wondering if i should watch it the way they originally aired or in order.Ive seen all the seasons except 5 btw thanks

Edited by MarsAutomatic

On 5/17/2019 at 4:36 AM, ViceFanMan said:

They originally even still had 3 other episodes to air yet, after the so-called Freefall finale...going into June of 1989. Many think those 3 episodes were “lost” episodes never aired, as Freefall was aired as & considered the end. But that’s not true...they just didn’t know that 3 more episodes aired later, when everything else was in reruns by then. So even the organization and “flow” of things was cluster-chaos by then. :(

please bear with my ignorance but which are the 'lost' episodes? in the episode guide there are four listed with an original air date after Freefall

1 hour ago, daytona365 said:

please bear with my ignorance but which are the 'lost' episodes? in the episode guide there are four listed with an original air date after Freefall

Four episodes not aired until the show went into syndication. They included Miracle Man, Leap of Faith, World of Trouble and Too Little Too Late. The last one wasn't broadcast because, at the time, the topic of child molestation was considered unsuitable for television. This link explains it well: 

https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/"Lost"_Episodes

3 hours ago, daytona365 said:

1 hour ago, mjcmmv said:

Four episodes not aired until the show went into syndication. They included Miracle Man, Leap of Faith, World of Trouble and Too Little Too Late. The last one wasn't broadcast because, at the time, the topic of child molestation was considered unsuitable for television. This link explains it well: 

https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/"Lost"_Episodes

Actually, no...there is only ONE true lost episode: Too Little Too Late. It was not aired until the show was in syndication the next year, 1990, on USA.

The other episodes (Miracle Man, Leap of Faith, and World of Trouble) all aired on the network, in the show’s timeslot...but after Freefall, going into June of 1989. They are not ‘lost’ episodes as they did air. But many fans didn’t know that as they thought everything was done once Freefall aired.

I think the network basically ran out of time before the season was done and they had to air the series finale...but still had to air those other 3 episodes as probably by contract they legally had to. 

Too Little Too Late was considered too “dark” for the time, and not aired by the network...which is strange to me as other previous episodes were just as dark. ?(

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Actually, no...there is only ONE true lost episode: Too Little Too Late. It was not aired until the show was in syndication the next year, 1990, on USA.

The other episodes (Miracle Man, Leap of Faith, and World of Trouble) all aired on the network, in the show’s timeslot...but after Freefall, going into June of 1989. They are not ‘lost’ episodes as they did air. But many fans didn’t know that as they thought everything was done once Freefall aired.

I think the network basically ran out of time before the season was done and they had to air the series finale...but still had to air those other 3 episodes as probably by contract they legally had to. 

Too Little Too Late was considered too “dark” for the time, and not aired by the network...which is strange to me as other previous episodes were just as dark. ?(

Thanks! And yes, there were plenty of "dark" episodes that beat suffering the same fate, Junk Love being one of them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

Thanks! And yes, there were plenty of "dark" episodes that beat suffering the same fate, Junk Love being one of them. 

Exactly...Junk Love was one of the main ones I was thinking of! 

21 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

Nontheless, narratively speaking, you want to watch Freefall last because that truly is the end.

I agree...I rarely ever watch the last season in its original airing order. I hate Freefall but it is considered the finale. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Sorry about this random post. My name is Matt. I Just picked up the 'Complete Set' of this show for $25 and binge watched it. This was my first time seeing the show and I really enjoyed it.

Guess I posted here because...and this will sound stupid as well as random...I smiled at the final line of the show which was 'You consider a career in southern law enforcement?' 'Maybe...Maybe."

Yes, I do know they did that to reference the same line in the pilot episode...but I looked at it as a different wink to the audience. What I mean by that is...perhaps Tubbs one day will come to 'the Southern region' where Crockett is heading to...

'Maybe' One day.

So I like to think that did happen...and now they are somewhere sipping cold ones and enjoying their lives. Silly thought but one I am fine with leading my brain into.

I had heard so much of the show and it was fun to watch it for the first time. The music by Jan Hammer was fantastic, the usage of guest stars and notable songs were both astonishing & insanely fun, and the chemistry between Sonny & Crockett worked very well. I won't go too far into it since this threat is about the final episode but wanted to share some thoughts. I'm glad it didn't end on some dumb cliffhanger (like the series finale of ALF), ruin the show (like the X-Files revivals aka Season 10/11) or others.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ramboraph4life said:

Guess I posted here because...and this will sound stupid as well as random...I smiled at the final line of the show which was 'You consider a career in southern law enforcement?' 'Maybe...Maybe."

Yes, I do know they did that to reference the same line in the pilot episode...but I looked at it as a different wink to the audience. What I mean by that is...perhaps Tubbs one day will come to 'the Southern region' where Crockett is heading to...

I always thought these are reused lines from the Pilot.

Edited by Crockettt

Just now, Crockettt said:

I always thought these were reused lines from the Pilot.

Oh I get that...I just like to think they did that not ONLY to reference the Pilot...but perhaps under the radar give a wink to maybe one day Tubbs will see Crockett again.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

I always thought these were reused lines from the Pilot.

They were...in fact it’s the actual “scene” from the pilot thrown back in—with Crockett driving the Spyder down the freeway.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well, I finished rewatching the series after starting back in November.  What a ride!!  I'm kinda bummed, even though I know I can start over again.  Started the "Hunter" series again.

Anyway, "Freefall"....I enjoyed it better the second time around, but it's far from perfect.  Good amount of action, good music and scenery.  I love the scene of Sonny in Chief Highsmith's house.  You really get a sense at this moment that Sonny has checked out and that it's all ending.  I think that the series couldn't possible continue after this.  Love the scene where Sonny and Rico "suit up" at their lockers.  Felt like the early seasons again.  It's quite a somber moment when the look back at their desks.  I do like how the climax ends in the same place the series began.  The final moments gave me a little lump in my throat.  Last time to see the St. Vitus, and the last time our heroes speed off in the Ferrari.

I did not like how Castillo was absent for the entire first half.  When he finally shows up, his scenes are brief.  Same with Trudy and Gina.  Nice to see Switek get some more screen time, but his story is left hanging.  My guess is that he was either fired, resigned, or brought up on charges.  The recasting of former guest actors, some from just a few episodes prior still seemed lazy and by this point had become annoying.  Finally, I really believe had the finale ended with a proper group sendoff, it would get more love.  The montage is great, but the end needed all the cast together...even for just a moment.  I'm a sap for that kinda stuff. The way this is filmed makes me wonder if they couldn't get the entire cast on set at the same time.  Hard to believe it's been 30 years!!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I think by this point they just wanted the series to be over. 

Sadly I think you're right about this.  Never watched The Shield (although am wishing I had!) but I also like things to be tied up a bit more neatly.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Well, I finished rewatching the series after starting back in November.  What a ride!!  I'm kinda bummed, even though I know I can start over again.  Started the "Hunter" series again.

Anyway, "Freefall"....I enjoyed it better the second time around, but it's far from perfect.  Good amount of action, good music and scenery.  I love the scene of Sonny in Chief Highsmith's house.  You really get a sense at this moment that Sonny has checked out and that it's all ending.  I think that the series couldn't possible continue after this.  Love the scene where Sonny and Rico "suit up" at their lockers.  Felt like the early seasons again.  It's quite a somber moment when the look back at their desks.  I do like how the climax ends in the same place the series began.  The final moments gave me a little lump in my throat.  Last time to see the St. Vitus, and the last time our heroes speed off in the Ferrari.

I did not like how Castillo was absent for the entire first half.  When he finally shows up, his scenes are brief.  Same with Trudy and Gina.  Nice to see Switek get some more screen time, but his story is left hanging.  My guess is that he was either fired, resigned, or brought up on charges.  The recasting of former guest actors, some from just a few episodes prior still seemed lazy and by this point had become annoying.  Finally, I really believe had the finale ended with a proper group sendoff, it would get more love.  The montage is great, but the end needed all the cast together...even for just a moment.  I'm a sap for that kinda stuff. The way this is filmed makes me wonder if they couldn't get the entire cast on set at the same time.  Hard to believe it's been 30 years!!

I love Hunter, and have the entire franchise of it, too (including reunion movies and short lived revival series)! :thumbsup: 

As for “Freefall”...hated it. :thumbsdown:  The plot was kind of ridiculous, the episode seemed lifeless, and I did not like how they left us sort of hanging...did Crockett and Tubbs really just walk out & quit...what happened with Switek? ?( I also agree that Castillo and the rest of the cast were mostly absent. Very poor and disappointing finale...huge let-down! :( 

But like you said...I can start over again! :D 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Sadly I think you're right about this.  Never watched The Shield (although am wishing I had!) but I also like things to be tied up a bit more neatly.

It's on DVD and is worth watching for the writing alone. It had a seven season run and managed to tie up every plot line in the last couple of episodes. Having seen it and Justified I'm beginning to think there is something to be said for knowing ahead of time when a series will end and planning for it during the entire process.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I love Hunter, and have the entire franchise of it, too (including reunion movies and short lived revival series)! :thumbsup: 

As for “Freefall”...hated it. :thumbsdown:  The plot was kind of ridiculous, the episode seemed lifeless, and I did not like how they left us sort of hanging...did Crockett and Tubbs really just walk out & quit...what happened with Switek? ?( I also agree that Castillo and the rest of the cast were mostly absent. Very poor and disappointing finale...huge let-down! :( 

But like you said...I can start over again! :D 

I only made it thru midway of season 3 of Hunter.  I remember watching it in syndication as a kid, so I'm sure I saw some of the other seasons.  Looking forward to starting it again.

• Like 2