Songs that should've played on VICE

MTVcops

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

This song has been on my 80s playlist for years. 

Interesting note: the distortion guitar sound heard at the beginning (and throughout) comes from the Rockman X100 that Jan Hammer used throughout his run on the series! 

Even then lyrics to this would've worked well in Vice.  I've been YouTubing many 1980s singles that are lesser-known the last couple of days and have been finding some gems like this one. 

11 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I've been YouTubing many 1980s singles that are lesser-known the last couple of days

Have you checked out @Marc’s posts in this thread? He is sort of the king of this. :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Here's an obscure quirky one that might have worked in an outdoor montage scene.  

Or lots of scenes from season 2!

Nice find, Jack! :clap:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Or lots of scenes from season 2!

Nice find, Jack! :clap:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this one. 

Heh.  My YouTube journey of finding 1980s deep cuts is retrieving some oddball stuff. 

I’m not sure if this song could have ever been used as a deep mood-setter, per-say...but I always thought that the 1982 song “Der Kommissar”, by After the Fire, would have been perfect in a dance/club scene in some episode somewhere! :radio::D 

BCED922A-CA35-4E50-9C18-725E4FDB1576.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

If the finale was done differently I think this would have been very touching towards the end of the feature length episode. 

Released in 1984.

I love this song! It always makes me think of "Lost Highway." "You'll never have me." That scene is like a knife to the heart with this song playing.

Elizabeth Fraser has such a beautiful voice! It's kind of odd to hear her words so clearly compared to her Cocteau Twins songs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I love this song! It always makes me think of "Lost Highway." "You'll never have me." That scene is like a knife to the heart with this song playing.

Elizabeth Fraser has such a beautiful voice! It's kind of odd to hear her words so clearly compared to her Cocteau Twins songs.

I think David Lynch wanted this wonderful song in Blue Velvet but he didn't have enough money for the license. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think David Lynch wanted this wonderful song in Blue Velvet but he didn't have enough money for the license. 

Yeah, I think you are right! I also heard when he hired Julee Cruise to sing for Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks, he wanted someone to sing similar to Elizabeth Fraser. I love Julee Cruise’s work too.

• Like 1

This is new music. Posted about 20 minutes ago by one of my synthesizer friends on YouTube. 

Maybe season 4 or 5 vibes: 

• Like 3

On 10/4/2021 at 11:55 PM, Dadrian said:

This is new music. Posted about 20 minutes ago by one of my synthesizer friends on YouTube. 

Maybe season 4 or 5 vibes: 

Cool song! SynthMania is great! When I first started playing synths, about 6-7 years ago, I looked on his site and YouTube page a lot to learn about all the classics.

As far as shoegaze, I love My Bloody Valentine and Cocteau Twins especially. Cocteau Twins may be labeled more dream pop, but I’d definitely call them shoegaze. Jesus and Mary Chain are another one that are shoegaze at times, but I don’t know… genres are complicated. :)

This is my absolute favorite My Bloody Valentine song, released in August 1988, I guess it might work in Season 5! I love the songs where Bilinda sings, her voice is so shy, innocent and heartbreaking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They should have also included another Fashion track in "The Prodigal Son"

Cool, stylish song, which was the core spirit of the 1 and 2 era.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2