T.V. shows you're watching!

cageyJG

On 5/14/2018 at 8:36 AM, Ferrariman said:

Nothing wrong with old classics. Lately my wife has been on a "Charlie's Angels" kick!  

I agree completely.  While channel surfing late night tv I admit I still will watch "I Love Lucy". 

1 hour ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I agree completely.  While channel surfing late night tv I admit I still will watch "I Love Lucy". 

That’s one great show - simpler times.:funky:

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

"The golden age of TV"

On 5/14/2018 at 10:36 AM, Ferrariman said:

Nothing wrong with old classics. Lately my wife has been on a "Charlie's Angels" kick!  

Thought I’d posted this before...but it seems to have disappeared? ?(   But, I too love and collect older shows—from all decades (50s-Present). Recently I’ve been going through the original Hawaii Five-0. :thumbsup:  But, I have and love Charlie’s Angels too! Haven’t watched it for several years...may have to go through it next. :happy:

Edited by ViceFanMan

Hill Street Blues looks great and never seen it.

I notice a lot of writers and directors worked on Miami Vice as well as Hill Street Blues. 

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

I notice a lot of writers and directors worked on Miami Vice as well as Hill Street Blues. 

Haven't seen the show either.

Yes Dick Wolf was a writer for Hill Street Blues for one season and then chose to work on Miami Vice, when that opportunity came about.  

Edited by summer84

8 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Haven't seen the show either.

Yes Dick Wolf was a writer for Hill Street Blues for one season and then chose to work on Miami Vice, when that opportunity came about.  

Yes there's a number of key producers and writers who worked on both shows. Robert Ward was a Producer on Hill Street Blues 1985-1987 till it ended - then ran Miami Vice in Season 5 from 1988-89.

Edited by Matt5

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Yes there's a number of key producers and writers who worked on both shows. Robert Ward was a Producer on Hill Street Blues 1985-1987 till it ended - then ran Miami Vice in Season 5 from 1988-89.

That's interesting! Didn't know, he was the new Vice co-producer after Dick Wolf. In a article Wolf mention's, he was taken off the show by Don Johnson that year. It doesn't say anything about it in details though. 

Edited by summer84

5 minutes ago, summer84 said:

That's interesting! Didn't know, he was the new Vice co-producer after Dick Wolf. In a article Wolf mention's, he was taken off the show by Don Johnson that year. It doesn't say anything about it in details though. 

I don’t think Dick Wolf was taken off the show by Don Johnson. But who knows.

Robert Ward was the new show runner in Season 5 and came from Hill Street Blues which had ended a year earlier in 1987. Robert Ward was appointed by the head of NBC- Universal television. Ward was the co-Executive Producer of Miami Vice that year from 1988-89 and also wrote eight or so of the episodes/ story in that year.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

It was right that Mr. Wolf was taken off the show. Missing Hours, Cows of October, The Big Thaw and a mostly weak season 4 happened under his watch so that was grounds for dismissal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt5 said:

I’ve never seen H.S.B. either...maybe some day. But for some reason it just doesn’t seem like a cop drama that entices me that much. But I’d need to see it before making a true judgement. 

Besides several producers and writers on HSB moving over to MV...if I remember right I heard or read once that the character name of ‘Sonny Crockett’ was first introduced on HSB—totally different character than Don Johnson’s on MV, but they used the same name. ;) 

Another piece of useless but interesting info, tying in with HSB, is I read once that while the show was on, star Veronica Hamel bought and moved into a Brentwood home that was once owned by...Marilyn Monroe! 

Hamel decided to do some remodeling and discovered a bunch of strange old wiring and other equipment in the attic area. She had phone company people come remove it all—thinking it was a bunch of old phone lines. The workers told her that it was not phone lines...but old professional wire-tapping and “bugging” surveillance equipment...that the house at one time had definitely been bugged and watched. :o

Basically proving that, whether FBI, mob, the Kennedys...or all of the above ;) poor Marilyn had definitely been watched and bugged. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

Hill street blues was a great show. I watched it when it aired(shows my age I suppose?)

I loved it as it was groundbreaking because most cop shows were so serious or on the other side of fence...so funny!

HSB combined fine drama and rolled stories around multiple characters and threw in a good laugh or two to break up the dramatic parts. Remember that at that time, no other show was doing this, so  it was a bit of a gamble but viewers, like myself, loved it. HSB later rolled into NYPD Blue which I favoured a bit more and watched it religiously year after year until it ended. I remember when jimmy Smits character died in the hospital. Holy cow you could hear the cries of a nation as millions tuned in to watch that one episode...and that was in the mid seasons, so it's strength allowed it to carry on for many more seasons with Sipowitz having multiple different partners.

There have been so many good cop or crime shows like Streets of San Francisco, or Manix, The FBI, Kojac and so many many more but the one thing they had in common was Bad guys does crime, good guy chases or detects or tracks down bad guy, then bad guy gets convicted and goes to jail...thus happy ending clean and neat. HSB turned that idea around and then when MV aired it's debut, the tv world was put on their a$$es, as the bad guys got away! Millions of people at home watching TV (including me) were saying "this can't be the end...what just happed?" MV certainly broke the mold!!!

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 5/18/2018 at 11:58 PM, Stinger390X said:

Hill street blues was a great show. I watched it when it aired(shows my age I suppose?)

I was a regular watcher too. HSB was part of NBC's "Must See TV" on Thursday nights.  It was "Cheers", "Night Court" and "Hill Street Blues"

I remember being shocked when Joe Coffey got blown away going to buy a pack of Garcia Vega cigars at a local bodega!

• Like 1

Well Ferrariman....every good series has it's shocking deaths. The unexpected always causes controversy, grief, disbelief...and most important - watercooler talk next day!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Has anyone seen "Snowfall"? Just saw an ad on TV for it and it looks interesting. It's a drama about the drug trade in 1980s LA. They're up to season 2 now so I might binge season 1. 

Still going through the original Hawaii Five-0 (1968-1980). I’d forgotten that a young Edward James Olmos guest-starred in a 1977 episode Ready...Aim!  He wasn’t the calm, no-nonsense Castillo in this! ;)

9BA5A413-295C-49D0-BC7A-C0DCD1B9680D.jpeg

74B733D6-155C-49D2-8CED-C8BDE6EE5C08.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Still going through the original Hawaii Five-0 (1968-1980). I’d forgotten that a young Edward James Olmos guest-starred in a 1977 episode Ready...Aim!  He wasn’t the calm, no-nonsense Castillo in this! ;)

9BA5A413-295C-49D0-BC7A-C0DCD1B9680D.jpeg

74B733D6-155C-49D2-8CED-C8BDE6EE5C08.jpeg

interesting! So young.

Anyone watching Animal Kingdom? I'm enjoying this season quite a bit.

I'm in Oregon visiting my parents and I have a strong desire to watch some MV. Unfortunately, my BR set is at home, 600 miles away. I'd appreciate your condolences. :)

My favorite "nightly" TV show is Family Guy, there is a TV channel here that shows a few old episodes back-to-back every night, and then after that usually some  American Dad episodes as well.

I know, Family Guy has really been slipping the last two or three seasons, to the point that I actually haven't really been paying attention anymore to the new season 16 episodes. They are just all over the place, and decent enough storylines or genuinely funny gags are few and far between. Seth McFarlane's factual absence as the show's boss due to his focus on a myriad other projects in recent years can really be felt sorely with every new season. It's almost as bad as when Michael Mann left Miami Vice. The show just doesn't "click" anymore.

But in a general kind of way, Seth McFarlane's sense of humor is right up my alley, and to watch two or three old Family Guy episodes every night has become one of my most loved evening routines... :thumbsup:

Edited by Daytona74

On 6/26/2018 at 4:49 PM, Daytona74 said:

My favorite "nightly" TV show is Family Guy, there is a TV channel here that shows a few old episodes back-to-back every night, and then after that usually some  American Dad episodes as well.

I know, Family Guy has really been slipping the last two or three seasons, to the point that I actually haven't really been paying attention anymore to the new season 16 episodes. They are just all over the place, and decent enough storylines or genuinely funny gags are few and far between. Seth McFarlane's factual absence as the show's boss due to his focus on a myriad other projects in recent years can really be felt sorely with every new season. It's almost as bad as when Michael Mann left Miami Vice. The show just doesn't "click" anymore.

But in a general kind of way, Seth McFarlane's sense of humor is right up my alley, and to watch two or three old Family Guy episodes every night has become one of my most loved evening routines... :thumbsup:

This is a very funny show.  I too watch repeats when channel surfing. On the IMDB website I posted a review.  Here it is: 

OMG! A show that pushes the limits of decency and I love it! As Americans we are so stuck up about political correctness in our TV shows. Censoring everything we can say and that is just wrong. This cartoon shows no mercy; black, white, Jewish, Catholic, Islamic, Native American, handicap, the homeless, etc are all fair game for the creators.

Stewie the baby is always coming up with ways to kill his mother and dominate the world population.

Lois and Peter really do love each other and their children.

The family dog is actually the smartest one in the house.

There is the strange neighbors. One who is only thinking about his next sexual encounter. Another who is an implied child molester.

Pay attention to the background as a lot is also happening.

This show does not disappoint in offending anyone it can and does with no need to apologize.

We all need laughter and this show delivers!

I'm firmly in the anti-Family Guy camp. I cant' stand it and don't think it belongs in the same league as King of the Hill, The Simpsons or even Futurama.

I use to like Archer, Bob's Burgers and Rick & Morty when they debuted but I don't follow them anymore or know where I quit.

The only show for me that stayed consistently good from start to finish was King of the Hill, bar some Lucky later eps.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 4:14 PM, Marc said:

I'm firmly in the anti-Family Guy camp. I cant' stand it and don't think it belongs in the same league as King of the Hill, The Simpsons or even Futurama.

I use to like Archer, Bob's Burgers and Rick & Morty when they debuted but I don't follow them anymore or know where I quit.

The only show for me that stayed consistently good from start to finish was King of the Hill, bar some Lucky later eps.

I got into King of the Hill not too long ago. Really enjoyed it. That, Archer, and The Simpsons(the early years) are my favorite animated shows.

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to re-watch the last two seasons of The Sopranos as I'd only watched them once. After the fourth season, I felt the show lacked spark and just got too depressing.

Season 5 was much better than I remember. Steve Buscemi was a great addition and apart from Rat Pack and In Camelot, pretty much every episode was solid.

Season 6 had a weak first half with the coma and Vito storylines. The second half was an improvement with some great episodes. I still loathe the final scene though.

I still rank it as the greatest series ever created, along with MV of course.

Edited by Remington
  • Like 1