T.V. shows you're watching!

cageyJG

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Awesome info! SS filmed mostly in San Diego and Scottsdale, Arizona even though the show supposedly takes place in Palm Beach, Florida.  I do remember the episode “Red Flag”...cool memorabilia with the call sheet! If you visited the set back then, did you meet any of the actors? You should watch the show sometime. ;)

I never met any of the actors.  To be honest, I didn't know any of them.  Like I said, I hadn't watched the show before.  I remember getting there Friday afternoon and they were filming on the beach.  In looking at the call sheet, it seems they filmed inside a condo most of the day and finished the day shooting on the beach.  She wasn't sure when exactly they would wrap, so she gave my buddy and me the key to her place.  She was pretty busy so we watched a little while, got something to eat, and went to her house and hung with her brother until she got home.  They rented a cool house in Balboa Park with a pool table in the middle of the living room.  Why do I remember that???  He was an officer stationed at North Island NAS, attached to the carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, logistics, I think it was.  I got a cool leather navy jacket as a gift from him once, the kind with the fur collar.

You know, I've never been much into collecting memorabilia but I guess it's pretty cool to have.  I thought I had chucked all my call sheets from Baywatch, about 2 years worth!  I got one every day.  I was stunned my wife found the two.  She was just looking for some old sheet music.  I had forgotten all about the Silk Stalkings call sheet.  I remembered meeting my friend on location but how would I have known where they were shooting that day, duh?  Pre-cell phone days with paper directions.  LOL!

Is the show streaming on Hulu by chance?  If so, give me the name of a solid episode from the 1994 season of the call sheet and I'll give it a try.  It can't be too bad, it was created by Stephen Cannell who did The Rockford Files, my favorite show of all time! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

I never met any of the actors.  To be honest, I didn't know any of them.  Like I said, I hadn't watched the show before.  I remember getting there Friday afternoon and they were filming on the beach.  In looking at the call sheet, it seems they filmed inside a condo most of the day and finished the day shooting on the beach.  She wasn't sure when exactly they would wrap, so she gave my buddy and me the key to her place.  She was pretty busy so we watched a little while, got something to eat, and went to her house and hung with her brother until she got home.  They rented a cool house in Balboa Park with a pool table in the middle of the living room.  Why do I remember that???  He was an officer stationed at North Island NAS, attached to the carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, logistics, I think it was.  I got a cool leather navy jacket as a gift from him once, the kind with the fur collar.

You know, I've never been much into collecting memorabilia but I guess it's pretty cool to have.  I thought I had chucked all my call sheets from Baywatch, about 2 years worth!  I got one every day.  I was stunned my wife found the two.  She was just looking for some old sheet music.  I had forgotten all about the Silk Stalkings call sheet.  I remembered meeting my friend on location but how would I have known where they were shooting that day, duh?  Pre-cell phone days with paper directions.  LOL!

Is the show streaming on Hulu by chance?  If so, give me the name of a solid episode from the 1994 season of the call sheet and I'll give it a try.  It can't be too bad, it was created by Stephen Cannell who did The Rockford Files, my favorite show of all time! 

Pre cell phone days for us, lol! Rob and Mitzi used them on the show and it was one of the first shows where characters used cell phones—remember thinking that was so cool, lol! 

The majority of the show is good to watch (don’t know if it’s on Hulu...I have all the DVD sets so I can always have it & watch when I want ;)) but definitely the first 3-4 seasons are the best in my opinion. Most of Cannell’s shows were good, but SS was the ultimate in my opinion! :thumbsup: 

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Pre cell phone days for us, lol! Rob and Mitzi used them on the show and it was one of the first shows where characters used cell phones—remember thinking that was so cool, lol! 

The majority of the show is good to watch (don’t know if it’s on Hulu...I have all the DVD sets so I can always have it & watch when I want ;)) but definitely the first 3-4 seasons are the best in my opinion. Most of Cannell’s shows were good, but SS was the ultimate in my opinion! :thumbsup: 

I agree what you said about most of Cannell’s shows being good.:cheers:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 12:10 PM, pahonu said:

Here's those photos of the call sheet.

My friend is listed on the second page as the set location assistant, Heather Salter.  She was sort of a liaison between the production company and whoever was in charge of the location they were at, owners, managers, etc...  You can see her call time to be on set that day.  The other location crew are on call but aren't usually on set.  They usually do most of their work in pre-production, things like scouting locations, scheduling, and negotiating and arranging for payment for location use.  

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

Still going through my Silk Stalkings DVD sets, but referring back to these, FYI I’m getting ready to watch this episode now...“Red Flag”. Thanks again for sharing this memorabilia info. If I’d of been there, I’d of rushed down to the filming location and seriously hoped I got to see/meet Mitzi Kapture, lol! :happy: 

20 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Still going through my Silk Stalkings DVD sets, but referring back to these, FYI I’m getting ready to watch this episode now...“Red Flag”. Thanks again for sharing this memorabilia info. If I’d of been there, I’d of rushed down to the filming location and seriously hoped I got to see/meet Mitzi Kapture, lol! :happy: 

ViceFanMan,

I watched the pilot episode and it was alright.  You’re right about it being very obviously of the 90’s.  The final scene of the two leads walking on the beach caught my attention for two reasons.  First, I recognized the pier at Imperial Beach.  It’s the southernmost beach in SoCal, bordering Mexico.  Second, as they were walking along the beach, they passed several piles of sea kelp.  This isn’t the seaweed you see at most beaches, but from the huge kelp forests that grow in the much colder water along the west coast fed from the Alaska current.  You simply don’t see this in subtropical south Florida.

Also, the opening montage showed 42 Star Island from Little Prince.

05E27565-206D-4A88-BD99-5B8C59921398.png

Edited by pahonu

3 hours ago, pahonu said:

ViceFanMan,

I watched the pilot episode and it was alright.  You’re right about it being very obviously of the 90’s.  The final scene of the two leads walking on the beach caught my attention for two reasons.  First, I recognized the pier at Imperial Beach.  It’s the southernmost beach in SoCal, bordering Mexico.  Second, as they were walking along the beach, they passed several piles of sea kelp.  This isn’t the seaweed you see at most beaches, but from the huge kelp forests that grow in the much colder water along the west coast fed from the Alaska current.  You simply don’t see this in subtropical south Florida.

Also, the opening montage showed 42 Star Island from Little Prince.

05E27565-206D-4A88-BD99-5B8C59921398.png

Go beyond the Pilot episode! I’d say watch the 1st season & before even halfway through you’re hooked...but even the 2nd & 3rd episodes are actually better than the Pilot. I think it was used primarily just to introduce the characters & the idea of the show. ;) The show takes off, so-to-speak with almost episode 2, in my opinion.

Besides the wild 90s neon color scheme, fascinating opening theme & montage, sexual scenes & murders, and tropical backdrop, the best and most intriguing aspect of Silk Stalkings was the realistic & heartfelt chemistry between the characters/stars! SS was the highest rated & most popular original cable TV series during the years it was on. 

Although the show took place in Palm Beach, Florida (in the show), it actually was filmed in San Diego, California & Scottsdale, Arizona. There are many beach or beach-side scenes in episodes that I recognize from other shows set & filmed in California. Probably cheaper to film there, than Florida. No matter where on the reality-radar, you just have to use your imagination I guess. :radar: :D

Edited by ViceFanMan

3 hours ago, pahonu said:

I was planning on giving it a 3 or 4 episode chance.  I’ll keep you posted. :)

Each season gets better (at least 1-3) in my opinion. Season 4 is pretty good, too. First few episodes of 5 are awesome...the rest of that season sucks!! :thumbsdown: Probably one of the worst and most depressing exiting of a show’s stars/main characters in TV history! ;(  There was a short-lived new “team” or main stars for the last part of 5...but they lacked the on screen chemistry & ‘Chris & Rita’ had left fans devastated by how they left, so the new two stars were let go at the end of 5.

Seasons 6-8 are pretty good...new stars and characters that have good chemistry, too. However, by the end of season 8 back then, USA was under new management...and they unexpectedly cancelled several long running shows, including Silk. Therefore, the series ends leaving you hanging. :( So Seasons 1 thru first part of 5 (Till Death Do Us Part)—and 6 thru the 3rd to last episode of Season 8. Skip the series finale 2-parter. :done: 

(P.S. Don’t know why 2 different fonts appeared in my post...weird?? ?(

Edited by ViceFanMan

• 2 months later...

Currently watching Live PD.  Interesting to watch because one of the police departments the show follows is from NYE County.  The live there. 

Live_PD_Official_Logo.png

7 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

TV? what is a TV?

“Wrong! Don’t have a TV.” :) 

Edited by Dadrian

4 hours ago, Dadrian said:

“Wrong! Don’t have a TV.” :) 

I have a TV, but "open" tv here in Brazil is year after year getting absolutelly boring, sold, and politically correct. It lost his excellence. I prefer watch multimedia radio (with video on youtube), since i have a chromecast, than watch the regular tv grid...

The Boys from Amazon Prime is great. American Playboy is good. I was watching today "Heroes".. I know, i know im late...but til the second episode is great.

• 1 month later...

I’m currently going through the 70s crime drama The Streets of San Francisco—starring Karl Malden & a young Michael Douglas. I’ve never seen it before and recently got a Complete Series set off eBay. Very “gritty & raw” for its time...realistic and the acting for 70s TV was superb! The cinematography and Frisco locations were amazing, too. Lots of famous guest stars...many before they were famous. ;) But tonight I’m watching an episode (“A Collection of Eagles”-1973) that guest stars ‘Caroline Crockett’ herself—a very young Belinda Montgomery...as well as ‘Louis McCarthy’...a very young William Gray Espy—along with veteran actors John Saxon and Joseph Cotton! Not sure Crockett would be pleased with his ex in this, nor does the Great McCarthy fare too well :p,  but a few pics:

FF546436-A7FF-4314-BB79-5E2705C3265B.jpeg

8F0F5BF4-EB64-4357-82BB-37FEC21630DF.jpeg

24BCC11D-4B18-40DB-92CE-859BF9CC0E11.jpeg

4D028105-406C-42C6-963E-3652C14979BF.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’m currently going through the 70s crime drama The Streets of San Francisco—starring Karl Malden & a young Michael Douglas. I’ve never seen it before and recently got a Complete Series set off eBay. Very “gritty & raw” for its time...realistic and the acting for 70s TV was superb! The cinematography and Frisco locations were amazing, too. Lots of famous guest stars...many before they were famous. ;) 

I also enjoyed the show very much years ago. So I can´t remember anymore in detail. I always thought it was quite traditionell with a formula repeated every single episode? But it made a strong impression to me, so the acting had to be really good. I´d like to see some episodes again!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’m currently going through the 70s crime drama The Streets of San Francisco—starring Karl Malden & a young Michael Douglas. I’ve never seen it before and recently got a Complete Series set off eBay. Very “gritty & raw” for its time...realistic and the acting for 70s TV was superb! The cinematography and Frisco locations were amazing, too. Lots of famous guest stars...many before they were famous. ;) But tonight I’m watching an episode (“A Collection of Eagles”-1973) that guest stars ‘Caroline Crockett’ herself—a very young Belinda Montgomery...as well as ‘Louis McCarthy’...a very young William Gray Espy—along with veteran actors John Saxon and Joseph Cotton! Not sure Crockett would be pleased with his ex in this, nor does the Great McCarthy fare too well :p,  but a few pics:

FF546436-A7FF-4314-BB79-5E2705C3265B.jpeg

8F0F5BF4-EB64-4357-82BB-37FEC21630DF.jpeg

24BCC11D-4B18-40DB-92CE-859BF9CC0E11.jpeg

4D028105-406C-42C6-963E-3652C14979BF.jpeg

Would have been great if John Saxon was in the show, fantastic actor.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I loved this show!

Don Johnson was in it, too, in a later season. 

54519957_2188625737891416_1995353634337980416_n.jpg

68824818_2437663596320961_4913027332005953536_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjcmmv said:

I loved this show!

Thanks I didn't know that. My god Don's Moustache :D

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Glades said:

I also enjoyed the show very much years ago. So I can´t remember anymore in detail. I always thought it was quite traditionell with a formula repeated every single episode? But it made a strong impression to me, so the acting had to be really good. I´d like to see some episodes again!

It’s new to me because I’ve never seen it before...I usually enjoy a new show to experience. Actually this one doesn’t always have the same proverbial formula (other than 2 cops are usually trying to solve crimes in Frisco...kind of like 2 cops usually trying to solve crimes in Miami :p) as the crimes and/or cases differ, and how they solve them for early to mid 70s was pretty amazing for the time. The acting was superb—very “real” and raw for the time! It wasn’t “flashy” like MV...but the Frisco backdrop, cases/crimes, characters & acting performances helped “make” this show. :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Loved John Saxon...always an amazing actor! So was Joseph Cotton. But I gotta say, the young up-n-comers Belinda & William were pretty awesome, too! :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

I loved this show!

Awesome...haven’t gotten that far yet, but that’ll be a fun episode with Don! :D Don was also in an episode of the original Hawaii Five-0 back-when, too. But so far in SOSF, I’ve also watched a couple episodes guest starring Starsky & Hutch...David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser, Lol! There have been tons of awesome guest stars in every episode I’ve seen so far! 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

The Don Johnson episode is in the last season when Michael Douglas was gone.  The chemistry with the new partner just wasn’t  the same.  That being said, the episode with DJ called “Hot Dog” is one of the best of that season.

I have the whole series on DVD and have run through it twice plus replays of favorites.  It’s very well done.  I have friends in San Francisco going back to the 80’s and have visited there at least 30 times.  I’m really familiar with lots of the neighborhoods and it’s fun to spot locations I recognize.

One of the first season episodes was filmed in a BART tunnel before it was completed.  They also show a lot of the never-finished freeway at the embarcadero that was eventually torn down.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pahonu said:

The Don Johnson episode is in the last season when Michael Douglas was gone.  The chemistry with the new partner just wasn’t  the same.  That being said, the episode with DJ called “Hot Dog” is one of the best of that season.

I have the whole series on DVD and have run through it twice plus replays of favorites.  It’s very well done.  I have friends in San Francisco going back to the 80’s and have visited there at least 30 times.  I’m really familiar with lots of the neighborhoods and it’s fun to spot locations I recognize.

One of the first season episodes was filmed in a BART tunnel before it was completed.  They also show a lot of the never-finished freeway at the embarcadero that was eventually torn down.

I recently got the Complete Series on DVD, and I’m pretty much through 1st Season—few episodes left. I’m really liking it...very well done and realistic for the time! :thumbsup: I’d like to visit SF someday...never been.

I’ll be looking forward to the DJ episode once I get to last season. Yeah, the new partner was Richard Hatch as Dan Robbins in last season. Usually when already established actors leave a series & they bring in new ones, the show doesn’t fare as well. But, I haven’t even seen the show before so I can’t say anything about last season yet. ;)

I also a while back acquired the reunion movie Back to the Streets of San Francisco, they did in 1992. I’ve not seen it yet either but I know they supposedly killed off Douglas’ “character” of Steve Keller (don’t think the character is actually seen)...and Mike Stone comes out of retirement to solve it. I probably won’t like that aspect, but it’ll still be cool to see it! I know Darleen Carr returns in it as Stone’s daughter Jeannie, but I don’t think Richard Hatch comes back as Dan Robbins. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

2 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I recently got the Complete Series on DVD, and I’m pretty much through 1st Season—few episodes left. I’m really liking it...very well done and realistic for the time! :thumbsup: I’d like to visit SF someday...never been.

I’ll be looking forward to the DJ episode once I get to last season. Yeah, the new partner was Richard Hatch as Dan Robbins in last season. Usually when already established actors leave a series & they bring in new ones, the show doesn’t fare as well. But, I haven’t even seen the show before so I can’t say anything about last season yet. ;)

I also a while back acquired the reunion movie Back to the Streets of San Francisco, they did in 1992. I’ve not seen it yet either but I know they supposedly killed off Douglas’ “character” of Steve Keller (don’t think the character is actually seen)...and Mike Stone comes out of retirement to solve it. I probably won’t like that aspect, but it’ll still be cool to see it! I know Darleen Carr returns in it as Stone’s daughter Jeannie, but I don’t think Richard Hatch comes back as Dan Robbins. 

You’re correct about all those details about the reunion movie.  It was still pretty solid though.

A fun little detail about the series: in many episodes a detective called Sekulovich is seen or referenced.  I don’t remember the actor, but the character was based on Karl Malden’s birth name which was really Mladen Sekulovich.  I believe his family was Serbian or another Slavic group from the Balkans.  His wife just died this year at like 100!  He made it a long time too.  So talented!

• Like 1