T.V. shows you're watching!

cageyJG

1 hour ago, pahonu said:

The first time I remember seeing Max Headroom as a kid was in ads for Coke.

i first saw him as a kid too...and it kinda freaked me out. Couldn't make what it was, real or fake. I remember someone told me must have been computer generated :)....

• 2 weeks later...

NCIS New Orleans and, oddly enough, Chicago Fire. For a Dick Wolf show Fire actually isn't bad. That and I've been a fan of Eamonn Walker since Oz and Tears of the Sun.

• 4 weeks later...

Over the decades, certain TV shows have definitely left their proverbial mark, and for different reasons became immensely popular icons that will forever be remembered. Obviously one was MV. ;)

But, a more ‘current’ one was CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2000-2015). I was and am a die-hard fan, and recently have been immensely enjoying its revival/sequel series, now called CSI: Vegas (2021-Present)! It’s been awesome seeing Grissom & Sara back in the “game” together :dance2:, and I’m hoping the show continues (from what I’ve read/heard, sounds like it will).

The new revival show got me in the mood, and I’ve been going through the original series again after about 5 years. So, right now I’ve been joyfully wallowing in both! A07B93A5-6A24-499C-9890-4A572E15C06F.jpeg.01d1f3629e89199896ac3418d3ae2afe.jpeg

Cast photo from around Season 288E975E7-E183-423C-9394-74AEAC2B5EAF.thumb.jpeg.8d23bc2741dfc5a07a6997464ea351b3.jpeg

New promo poster for Revival/Sequel Series!5D49DD4A-5847-408C-BDF2-394E456FF083.thumb.jpeg.7491e5b4f97dd96495164c3420c1ba1a.jpeg

Jorja Fox & William Petersen in a cast promo for CSI: Vegas!

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Just finished re-watching Mad Men (and season 7 for for the first time.)

Damn that was a great show. :rauchen: 

I have the show...it was fun till the last season. For some reason I didn’t care for it, or how the show ended. But, that’s just me. :funky: Overall I found the characters interesting and the vintage details production went to, to make it authentic superb! :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

It was a little "late" but I just finished "Stanger Things" ... It is a great tv show with lots of references ... Can't wait for the next season :cool:

Great show. They filmed a lot for the upcoming season in my town last year—including some just down the street from my house!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

It was a little "late" but I just finished "Stanger Things" ... It is a great tv show with lots of references ... Can't wait for the next season :cool:

My wife and I were totally immersed in this series from the first episode.  Plus I had so many flashbacks of being a young man in the 80s.  Eagerly awaiting the next season!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been watching the original Twilight Zone and It's really fantastic. It's cool to see all the guest stars before they were famous. I love the time travel/western/alien stories the best.

The last episode I watched was the one where a plane travels back in time, the passengers look out the window at what's supposed to be NYC and instead they see a brontosaurus. :wuerg:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Been watching the original Twilight Zone and It's really fantastic. It's cool to see all the guest stars before they were famous. I love the time travel/western/alien stories the best.

The last episode I watched was the one where a plane travels back in time, the passengers look out the window at what's supposed to be NYC and instead they see a brontosaurus. :wuerg:

I’ve not seen the entire show, but I’ve seen several episodes before...amazingly creepy & bone-chilling, even today! I remember one episode where a girl is in a department store & appears to be tormented by mannequins...and another where a husband & wife suddenly find themselves in a small town where nothing is real—buildings, houses, cars, etc...everything is a facade. But, as it is with “Twilight” not everything is as it appears. I don’t want to give spoilers. ;) 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’ve not seen the entire show, but I’ve seen several episodes before...amazingly creepy & bone-chilling, even today! I remember one episode where a girl is in a department store & appears to be tormented by mannequins...and another where a husband & wife suddenly find themselves in a small town where nothing is real—buildings, houses, cars, etc...everything is a facade. But, as it is with “Twilight” not everything is as it appears. I don’t want to give spoilers. ;) 

I had seen like 30 episodes previously but now I'm going through all of them on Blu-ray. There's been so many classic ones and haven't even finished season 2 yet. :rauchen:

It's so beautifully filmed for a TV show. It looks better than a lot of movies from the early 60s.

• Like 3

I am one who has seen every episode of The Twilight Zone.  Many times I have binged watched this show.  It is one show my wife and I agree is worth watching over and over again. There are some truly terrifying episodes that creeped me out, and that is a good feeling.  This has been a show that can start a great conversation with total strangers.  Great writing.   Enjoy!!!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I am one who has seen every episode of The Twilight Zone.  Many times I have binged watched this show.  It is one show my wife and I agree is worth watching over and over again. There are some truly terrifying episodes that creeped me out, and that is a good feeling.  This has been a show that can start a great conversation with total strangers.  Great writing.   Enjoy!!!

Great show and way ahead of it time.

"A Nice Place to Visit" is exceptional.

It's where Night Shyamalan got all his ideas from.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 9:00 PM, Vincent Hanna said:

Whenever they do the marathons, I’ll DVR several of my favorites and pick a few I haven’t seen in a while.  I have the final episode, The Bewitchin’ Pool with the little girl from To Kill a Mockingbird, still waiting for me.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned here, but has anyone seen the detective series Terriers?  It was just a short run about 10 years ago but  I just finished streaming it last week.  It’s well done and strikes me as the kind of show that would have been picked up for another season by a streaming service today, but it was before they made their own content and was canceled by one of the cable networks.

• 5 weeks later...

Recently I’ve been going through CSI: NY. I watched the show when it was originally on, but didn’t get the DVD sets until a couple years ago—and I’m just now deciding to watch them. I’ve forgotten a lot, and it’s been awesome seeing the show again...a lot of it seems new to me once again. However, I’ve noticed a few tie-ins (as minor as they might be) with MV that I think are kinda cool. :cool:

First, the song “Baba O’Riley” by The Who is CSI: NY’s actual theme song (all of the theme songs for the CSI shows are by The Who). It of course was earlier featured in the opening of the famous MV episode “Out Where the Buses Don’t Run”. The famous song “In the Air Tonight” by Phil Collins will always be associated & ‘icon-icised’ with MV. It was used in the opening of the Season 7 Episode 3 of CSI: NY. But, whether it’s on the radio or somewhere else on TV, I cannot help but immediately think of MV when I hear that song. :radio:

Actor Mykelti Williamson was of course Leon Jefferson in the MV Pilot TV movie, as well as Sylvio Romulus in “Tale of the Goat”. I believe he was even married to Olivia Brown (Trudy) at that time! He later played a recurring character on CSI: NY from 2007-2009 (corrupt Chief of Detectives Brigham Sinclair). 

And last but NOT least...I’d forgotten that Edward James Olmos had guest-starred in Season 7 Episode 4 (“Sangre por Sangre”) of CSI:NY. He played a gang leader/founder Luther Devarro. He was superb...very “dark” and tragic episode, but amazing performance by EJO, as always! :clap: Even if you don’t like the show, that episode is worth seeing just for his part!  

Pictures below: 

7E57D1EF-78AB-4448-9C6A-7CC0882D36AA.jpeg

Mykelti Williamson as Leon Jefferson in the MV Pilot.

5591A5AE-A34D-48FE-952F-385C40B4BEEC.png

Mykelti Williamson as Brigham Sinclair on CSI: NY.

ED6F14E6-C7AF-4FF2-A7D2-9964DC860A57.jpeg

Edward James Olmos as Luther Devarro on CSI: NY. (2010)

E39377A9-D1C3-4F49-80BA-123E6B7CC214.jpeg

Edward James Olmos & star Gary Sinise on CSI: NY—2010.

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

Can't do the Law and Order or NCIS thing.  I just never got truly addicted to those two franchises  And most of today's series are just too over-involved in trying to be gun-honcho and badass with all their characters.  My lord, it's like a superhero comic----nearly every episode one of the buildings in the city blows up,... and all the city just takes it in stride, and the superhero Hawaii 50/Chicago Fire/911/The Rookie/ trip all the way to Cambodia/HongKong/Honduras/Cuba/Senegal to thwart the villain.  LOL!

I'm surprised how impressive some "oldie" shows look when I'm watching them these days:
The same way Miami Vice is hands down the best visual of what the REAL Miami was like in the 80's, if you want to REALLY see what the real New York was like (felt like, sounded like, was colored like) in the 70's, nothing shows it better than Kojak. His show BLEEDS and sweats NYC (and I know because I lived there in the 70's).
In its short lifespan, Edward Woodward's original The Equalizer series actually showed the landscape and feel of N.Y. way better than the entire Law and Order franchise ever did. (Law and Order makes NYC look just too polished and sterile somehow---and that's NOT really what routine NYC is at all).
Nothing gives you a better visual of 70's Los Angeles than James Garner's Rockford Files.  The brightness of the sun, the white-noise of the freeway and nearby coastline, the funny disorganization of the street layouts---that's what REAL L.A. was like (maybe still is--I haven't revisited in years).  
...And all these shows I mentioned were so competently scripted and handled.  A few episodes boring, but the majority of episodes SO on-target and smart through most of the show's lifespan.  

I really miss the shows that you felt addicted to watching because the main character's habits really get you pissed off, or because the consistent personality of the main character just lovably endears you to them,... and not because the main character looked so cool pulling her gun out all over the place (...or HIS gun, whatever).  

True Equlizer.JPG

rockford.jpg

Kojak at Lincoln.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Augusta said:

Can't do the Law and Order or NCIS thing.  I just never got truly addicted to those two franchises  And most of today's series are just too over-involved in trying to be gun-honcho and badass with all their characters.  My lord, it's like a superhero comic----nearly every episode one of the buildings in the city blows up,... and all the city just takes it in stride, and the superhero Hawaii 50/Chicago Fire/911/The Rookie/ trip all the way to Cambodia/HongKong/Honduras/Cuba/Senegal to thwart the villain.  LOL!

I'm surprised how impressive some "oldie" shows look when I'm watching them these days:
The same way Miami Vice is hands down the best visual of what the REAL Miami was like in the 80's, if you want to REALLY see what the real New York was like (felt like, sounded like, was colored like) in the 70's, nothing shows it better than Kojak. His show BLEEDS and sweats NYC (and I know because I lived there in the 70's).
In its short lifespan, Edward Woodward's original The Equalizer series actually showed the landscape and feel of N.Y. way better than the entire Law and Order franchise ever did. (Law and Order makes NYC look just too polished and sterile somehow---and that's NOT really what routine NYC is at all).
Nothing gives you a better visual of 70's Los Angeles than James Garner's Rockford Files.  The brightness of the sun, the white-noise of the freeway and nearby coastline, the funny disorganization of the street layouts---that's what REAL L.A. was like (maybe still is--I haven't revisited in years).  
...And all these shows I mentioned were so competently scripted and handled.  A few episodes boring, but the majority of episodes SO on-target and smart through most of the show's lifespan.  

I really miss the shows that you felt addicted to watching because the main character's habits really get you pissed off, or because the consistent personality of the main character just lovably endears you to them,... and not because the main character looked so cool pulling her gun out all over the place (...or HIS gun, whatever).  

True Equlizer.JPG

rockford.jpg

Kojak at Lincoln.JPG

Yeah, I can’t do much with the Law & Order shows, either...they’re either too boring, or too depressing to me. 

However, I love the CSI shows, as they (much like MV for its day) focused on captivating & even shocking visuals, that hadn’t been done before. Different kinds of visuals for sure, but same “idea”. As far as proper procedures, cop shows today also tend to be more realistic, than older shows. In all honesty, older crime shows (including MV) tend to have more of the “superhero” idea, than more current shows. 

But, yeah I love and have a lot of the older shows! Streets of San Francisco is also a very realistic and well written show for the 70s, filmed on location in Frisco. :thumbsup:

But, although MV was very visual and amazing for its time & it’s one of my favorite shows ever...it was not realistic for Vice cops in Miami in the 80s. Real Vice cops did not have $1200 suits, Ferraris, boats, etc...to go undercover with. All of that was created for the show...glad it was, though, as it was a superb escape from reality! :dance2: 

They filmed on location for sure, but the teal & pink color scheme was brought in & created by Michael Mann. A lot of buildings he had to get permission to paint them those colors. The city at that time was not necessarily full of these rich millionaires either...it was more retirees on social security or pension. However, MV helped revitalize & create what Miami is today...and brought attention to preserving the Art Deco history, colors still used, and helped bring in a more tourist & high-end feel. Of course drugs have always been present. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1