T.V. shows you're watching!

cageyJG

No, you're right.  The pastels and the Art Deco revival focus of buildings and sets was NOT true Miami (...yet, hahaha).  But I mean they got the "feel" of what kind of city it was right, the night-party invitations, and the slightly Cuban infusion in the arts, they got that right,...

and the COKE, heeheehee!

Streets of San Francisco---ROCK ON!  That was one of the best pairings of actors in that sort of show.  So good, that once they took Douglas out of the equation, it felt crippled.  Whoever was the technical team, they knew how to film the city, how to angle camera up and down so sky was in your eye or twisting street and steps were in the frame.  And there always SEEMED to be wind tossing on the audio track, if I remember.  All the right cues to make San Francisco "one of the principle characters", not just the place they are filming on.  
I HAD to get Rockford on DVD (the Mill Creek Box art was just too perfectly on target).  I am regularly tempted to search for a DVD Streets Of set.  But I just don't remember if Richard Hatch was worth enough watching...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Augusta said:

No, you're right.  The pastels and the Art Deco revival focus of buildings and sets was NOT true Miami (...yet, hahaha).  But I mean they got the "feel" of what kind of city it was right, the night-party invitations, and the slightly Cuban infusion in the arts, they got that right,...

and the COKE, heeheehee!

Streets of San Francisco---ROCK ON!  That was one of the best pairings of actors in that sort of show.  So good, that once they took Douglas out of the equation, it felt crippled.  Whoever was the technical team, they knew how to film the city, how to angle camera up and down so sky was in your eye or twisting street and steps were in the frame.  And there always SEEMED to be wind tossing on the audio track, if I remember.  All the right cues to make San Francisco "one of the principle characters", not just the place they are filming on.  
I HAD to get Rockford on DVD (the Mill Creek Box art was just too perfectly on target).  I am regularly tempted to search for a DVD Streets Of set.  But I just don't remember if Richard Hatch was worth enough watching...

I got the Complete Series set of “Streets” a couple years ago...totally worth it in my opinion! But, very well written for its time, and amazing locations & cinematography! 

So I am one of those who never watched BREAKING BAD during its original run.  Being on Netflix now my wife and I just finished binge watching the series.  Bryan Cranston is an Emmy award winner actor for this show and fully deserved it.  Going from being the goofy dad in Malcolm in the Middle to the serious drama of a high school chemistry teacher making the perfect Meth drug.  All I can say is WOW!!!  What a great show. Character development was fantastic.  The story lines phenomenal.  The ending was spectacular.  This show gets a solid 10 in my ratings. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@Vicefan7777 good for you! My wife and I loved this show, too! So great. 

Since you liked Breaking Bad, may I suggest Ozark now if you haven’t watched it already? 

A good friend of mine, she’s been going-on about Ozark to me, lately. I might have to check that one out. :thumbsup: 

4 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

A good friend of mine, she’s been going-on about Ozark to me, lately. I might have to check that one out. :thumbsup: 

If you like Jason Bateman, you’ll love it! You might enjoy it even if you hate him. :)  

The whole cast is great, really. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 12:00 PM, Augusta said:

and the COKE, heeheehee!

I agree with all your comments.  I have all five seasons on DVD and recommend the series highly.  Even the final Richard Hatch season has some very good episodes.   

On 2/27/2022 at 12:25 PM, wolfie1996 said:

Did anyone ever watch Wiseguy? I started watching it because William Russ was in it. The first season was terrific!

Yes!  I had totally forgotten that show.  I do remember it was very entertaining. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Yes!  I had totally forgotten that show.  I do remember it was very entertaining. 

The first series was nothing less than superb! Especially the finale with Vinnie and Sonny! Interestingly what most seemed to like about that was the psychological aspect- it dealt with love, betrayal guilt- far more so than the guns, action etc. It reminded me very much of an extremely popular MV episode,  Evan, my favourite, which was similarly based.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't stop watching Korean drama's on Netflix, I watch them one after they other and I am rarely disappointed.

"The Silent Sea" is wonderful starring Bae Doona, one of the best sci fi series in a longtime, a cross between 2001 and Alien and the cinematography is astonishing. 

Others that were impressive "All of Us Are Dead" "Stranger" AKA Secret Forest) "My Name" "Squid Games" "Kingdom" is the greatest Zombie show ever imo "Sweet Home" "Strangers from Hell" "Voice"

Currently I am watching "Juvenile Justice" so far it's very impressive.

Juvenile Justice (TV Series 2022– ) - IMDb

Edited by RedDragon86

• Administrators
On 2/25/2022 at 12:17 AM, Vicefan7777 said:

So I am one of those who never watched BREAKING BAD during its original run.  Being on Netflix now my wife and I just finished binge watching the series.  Bryan Cranston is an Emmy award winner actor for this show and fully deserved it.  Going from being the goofy dad in Malcolm in the Middle to the serious drama of a high school chemistry teacher making the perfect Meth drug.  All I can say is WOW!!!  What a great show. Character development was fantastic.  The story lines phenomenal.  The ending was spectacular.  This show gets a solid 10 in my ratings. 

Don’t forget him as Tim Watley the dentist on Seinfeld.  Great and very versatile actor!

• Like 1

Sometimes I literally go from “dark” & graphic shows, to fun & cheesy. :dance2: This show isn’t as cheesy as some...but the old 80s detective show Hart To Hart (1979-1984) is cheesy enough that cheddar might have to sue. :p  

Sort of a more modern take on the old 30s/40sThin Man movies with William Powell & Myrna Loy as Nick & Nora Charles—Robert Wagner & Stefanie Powers star as Jonathan & Jennifer Hart, a multi-million dollar jet-setter couple who of course always find themselves mixed up in murder & mayhem. They were aided by the loveable, gravely-voiced butler Max (played by veteran actor Lionel Stander), whose trademark was always a big long cigar.

By the way, Robert Wagner was very good friends in real life with William Powell, and the house used in the show as the Hart’s estate (exteriors only) was owned at the time by Powell. 

Another Aaron Spelling & Leonard Goldberg crime show with a catchy theme song, H2H was always an enjoyable delve into the adventures of a loving husband & wife who went to exotic locations & of course always got the bad-guys/gals, and always stuck by the other. Totally glamorized & unrealistic...but that’s what made shows like that an entertaining escape from reality. :glossy:

From 1993-1996, there were 8 reunion TV movies done, furthering the Hart’s crime adventures. Lionel Stander reprised his role of Max in the first 5 movies, before passing away from lung cancer in 1994—his last movie airing after his death. His life long cigar habit sadly finally caught up with him.

I always felt that if H2H, or Perry Mason that did the same, could have reunions...MV could have at least done one! But, alas, no ‘cigar’—as Max would probably say. :rauchen: 

33B7308D-6E92-4924-8D2B-02732CD41F09.jpeg

6394A5C7-0B98-43F6-BC6F-C9DAB62B8D4C.jpeg

D886A573-CDC4-49D0-B022-7DFC42B5783E.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Sometimes I literally go from “dark” & graphic shows, to fun & cheesy. :dance2: This show isn’t as cheesy as some...but the old 80s detective show Hart To Hart (1979-1984) is cheesy enough that cheddar might have to sue. :p  

Sort of a more modern take on the old 30s/40sThin Man movies with William Powell & Myrna Loy as Nick & Nora Charles—Robert Wagner & Stefanie Powers star as Jonathan & Jennifer Hart, a multi-million dollar jet-setter couple who of course always find themselves mixed up in murder & mayhem. They were aided by the loveable, gravely-voiced butler Max (played by veteran actor Lionel Stander), whose trademark was always a big long cigar.

By the way, Robert Wagner was very good friends in real life with William Powell, and the house used in the show as the Hart’s estate (exteriors only) was owned at the time by Powell. 

I admit i was a fan of this show.  It never occurred to me that it was similar to the the Thin Man films.  But I understand your point and agree.  I also enjoyed those films.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I admit i was a fan of this show.  It never occurred to me that it was similar to the the Thin Man films.  But I understand your point and agree.  I also enjoyed those films.  

Robert Wagner had liked the Thin Man movies & was friends with William Powell himself...so he’s the one that wanted to “gear” H2H as sort of a modern idea of the same thing. 

• 4 weeks later...

I recently watched the first installment of "Tokyo Vice", which is directed by Michael Mann. 

Very Mann-ish work: Beautifully crafted, slick visuals, music that evokes strong emotions and modern modern modern (even though it takes place in the late 90s). I don't believe he directed any other installment, but I plan on watching the rest of them based on the first episode.

Tokyo_Vice.thumb.jpg.cd8d38b275f6b77b0dab0418c4968659.jpg

Edited by OCBman
  • Like 2

I’m watching “Square Pegs” again on Crackle. I love the show and characters so dearly. I guess I’ve always been a weirdo, not an outcast, but not popular. There’s something about the show so special compared to other sitcoms. Even two years before MV, they used quite a few popular rock/new wave songs in the show, but many were replaced when remastered for DVD/HD. They had The Waitresses perform in the pilot, and they performed the theme music. Devo performed “That’s Good” on an episode (lipsynced) and we also hear “Jocko Homo” twice.

12 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I’m watching “Square Pegs” again on Crackle. I love the show and characters so dearly. I guess I’ve always been a weirdo, not an outcast, but not popular. There’s something about the show so special compared to other sitcoms. Even two years before MV, they used quite a few popular rock/new wave songs in the show, but many were replaced when remastered for DVD/HD. They had The Waitresses perform in the pilot, and they performed the theme music. Devo performed “That’s Good” on an episode (lipsynced) and we also hear “Jocko Homo” twice.

I remember watching the series while in middle school when it originally aired.  I also recall talking to my friends about it.  It was pretty edgy and, of course, had all of the popular music.  A bit of a sad ending though:

https://www.avclub.com/behind-the-scenes-chaos-derailed-square-pegs-new-wave-1798276020/amp

Strangely, I occasionally drive by the high school where it was filmed as it is roughly between home and the high school I work at.  A colleague of mine attended there before it closed down in the early 80’s.  It was built in the 20’s and doesn’t look like most schools around that were built after WWII.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, pahonu said:

I remember watching the series while in middle school when it originally aired.  I also recall talking to my friends about it.  It was pretty edgy and, of course, had all of the popular music.  A bit of a sad ending though:

https://www.avclub.com/behind-the-scenes-chaos-derailed-square-pegs-new-wave-1798276020/amp

Strangely, I occasionally drive by the high school where it was filmed as it is roughly between home and the high school I work at.  A colleague of mine attended there before it closed down in the early 80’s.  It was built in the 20’s and doesn’t look like most schools around that were built after WWII.

I wish I could have seen it new on TV, that must’ve been exciting! And MTV was just in its second year. I imagine I would have been heartbroken when I found out the show wasn’t coming back for another season, though. That’s a great article you posted. I’ve heard many accounts of why it was cancelled, it’s hard to imagine the drugs, but could be possible. I never thought the quality of the show was lackluster, especially for a sitcom.

There definitely are some edgy jokes and situations, mainly jokes about sexual orientation, weight, and marijuana. I was totally confused that Lauren was supposed to be overweight, she looks just like a slim person wearing baggy clothes. The fat jokes are really mean, but obviously people then and now make fun of people for their weight. I’ve been made fun of for being too fat and too skinny in my life, and also for wearing glasses… so you can imagine why I have a soft-spot for this show!

That’s neat you get to drive by that school, by the way!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

I remember when Square Pegs was on, but I’ll be honest and say I’ve never seen it. I didn’t remember it only lasted 1 season...I thought it was on 2 or 3 years. Although I occasionally liked & watched some sitcoms (such as Different Strokes, Facts of Life, Growing Pains, etc...) they’re usually not my kinda show. But, sometimes I’m surprised and end up really liking one. Maybe sometime I’ll check SP out, if episodes are available somewhere.

The high school where they filmed it was Excelsior High School...built in 1924 & closed in 1981. However, the school & campus are still used for other things, so they’re not abandoned—at least according to Wikipedia. :thumbsup: The movies Grease 2 and High School USA also filmed there. 

F79CBCC9-0327-4C07-801B-56865259B021.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I remember when Square Pegs was on, but I’ll be honest and say I’ve never seen it. I didn’t remember it only lasted 1 season...I thought it was on 2 or 3 years. Although I occasionally liked & watched some sitcoms (such as Different Strokes, Facts of Life, Growing Pains, etc...) they’re usually not my kinda show. But, sometimes I’m surprised and end up really liking one. Maybe sometime I’ll check SP out, if episodes are available somewhere.

The high school where they filmed it was Excelsior High School...built in 1924 & closed in 1981. However, the school & campus are still used for other things, so they’re not abandoned—at least according to Wikipedia. :thumbsup: The movies Grease 2 and High School USA also filmed there. 

Yes, Excelsior is still owned by the Norwalk-La Miranda SD, not abandoned, but has an adult school now and district office space.  My school district, similarly uses one of its closed high schools for district offices, a continuation high school, and staff trainings.  One of our other closed high schools was sold to the LA County Sherriff and is now used for deputy training.  Both of these closings came because of declining enrollment in the early 80’s, like Excelsior.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 12:02 PM, ViceFanMan said:

I like watching 80’s sitcoms and some 90’s ones. Seinfeld is all-time favorite comedy show. It’s nice to watch something a little more light-hearted and positive in contrast to the many dark endings of MV.

Most episodes of Square Pegs are available on YouTube but in terrible quality. I’d recommend watching on Crackle. There you can watch them all for free in HD. The only downside to Crackle is all the advertisements, but it’s not any worse than watching live TV.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

I like watching 80’s sitcoms and some 90’s ones. Seinfeld is all-time favorite comedy show. It’s nice to watch something a little more light-hearted and positive in contrast to the many dark endings of MV.

Most episodes of Square Pegs are available on YouTube but in terrible quality. I’d recommend watching on Crackle. There you can watch them all for free in HD. The only downside to Crackle is all the advertisements, but it’s not any worse than watching live TV.

I like a few of the 80s sitcoms, as well as some classics...such as Donna Reed Show & Leave It To Beaver, Lol! They sometimes are a nice change from the “dark” plots of crime shows. 

• Like 1

ViceFanMan is a FanMan for all seasons, all eras.  Your knowledge and interest base wraps around an entire 80 years of tv/film art.  Jeez, ViceFanMan!!  
Nice to see people out there really LIVING my point of view about 21st Century technology--it enables you to cross all time periods, so that no one has to say "that's our grandfather's music", or "those films are way past your age bracket".  
If I am alive in the 2020's, ALL music is MY music.  Any music at all, with no age anymore. All motion pictures are fresh and current for me to see, no matter what year they were made.  That is one thing I think I can thank the Internet for providing a time portal for accessing. 

I watch the Robert Lansing episodes of 12 O'clock High (1964).  But not the Paul Burke episodes at all, yuck.  

I like all episodes of Combat (1962), and try to catch Route 66 (1961 or so?), yet I can't stand Dragnet or Adam-12.

Loved The Outer Limits .  Didn't much like the Twilight Zone.  Found Humans (2015) to be the most astounding and smart tv series of today's era. 

Love JAG (salutes, forever!).  Yet, couldn't stand Perry Mason (1950's).  

Hated Rat Patrol (1960's) and wonder why it's still on one of my cable tv stations.  

Loved a British comedy show called One Foot in the Grave (1990's).  

Love Emergency (1972 or so?).  Still better and more unpretentious acting in those two performers than anything I'd have to tolerate from the rescue/firefighting shows they have on tv today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Augusta said:

ViceFanMan is a FanMan for all seasons, all eras.  Your knowledge and interest base wraps around an entire 80 years of tv/film art.  Jeez, ViceFanMan!!  
Nice to see people out there really LIVING my point of view about 21st Century technology--it enables you to cross all time periods, so that no one has to say "that's our grandfather's music", or "those films are way past your age bracket".  
If I am alive in the 2020's, ALL music is MY music.  Any music at all, with no age anymore. All motion pictures are fresh and current for me to see, no matter what year they were made.  That is one thing I think I can thank the Internet for providing a time portal for accessing. 

I watch the Robert Lansing episodes of 12 O'clock High (1964).  But not the Paul Burke episodes at all, yuck.  

I like all episodes of Combat (1962), and try to catch Route 66 (1961 or so?), yet I can't stand Dragnet or Adam-12.

Loved The Outer Limits .  Didn't much like the Twilight Zone.  Found Humans (2015) to be the most astounding and smart tv series of today's era. 

Love JAG (salutes, forever!).  Yet, couldn't stand Perry Mason (1950's).  

Hated Rat Patrol (1960's) and wonder why it's still on one of my cable tv stations.  

Loved a British comedy show called One Foot in the Grave (1990's).  

Love Emergency (1972 or so?).  Still better and more unpretentious acting in those two performers than anything I'd have to tolerate from the rescue/firefighting shows they have on tv today.

Absolutely...I love shows, movies, music, and things from all decades! In fact, I tend to like or prefer things from past decades over brand new—depending on what it is. This is long...but here’s a list of the TV shows I have and/or plan to eventually acquire. I’ve tried categorizing them into genre & listing them starting with oldest first, and up to more current shows. This list was copied and pasted in, so it looks “wonky” or weird on here, but you get the idea:

Crime/Mystery/Cop:

*Perry Mason-(original series & reunion movie series)

*Peter Gunn

*77 Sunset Strip

*Hawaiian Eye

*Surfside 6

*The Untouchables-(original Robert Stack 

series)

*Ironside

*Mannix

*Hawaii Five-0-(original series & reboot series)

*Streets of San Francisco-(original series & 

reunion movie)

*Charlie’s Angels-(original series only)

*Vega$

*Hart to Hart-(original series & reunion movie series)

*Magnum, p.i.-(original Tom Selleck only)

*Matt Houston

*Scarecrow & Mrs. King

*Remington Steele

*Hunter-(original series, reunion movies, & 

revival series)

*Miami Vice

*Silk Stalkings

*One West Waikiki

*CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

*CSI: Miami

*CSI: NY

*Criminal Minds

*Bones

Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi:

*Mission Impossible-(original series & 80s 

revival series)

*Six Million Dollar Man

*Bionic Woman

*Wonder Woman

*Dukes of Hazzard

*Knight Rider

Drama/Psychological:

*Peyton Place-(original series & reunion 

movies)

*Dallas-(original series, reunion movies, & 

revival series)

*Knots Landing-(original series & reunion mini-series)

*Dynasty-(original series & reunion mini-series only)

*Falcon Crest

*L.A. Law

*Mad Men

*Bates Motel

Family/Sitcom:

*The Donna Reed Show-(seasons 1-5...only 

ones available so far)

*The Brady Bunch-(original series, reunions, The Bradys revival series, The Brady Brides spin-off series, & spoof movies)

Still Planning to Acquire:

*The A-Team

*Rockford Files-(original series & reunion 

movie series)

*Simon & Simon

*Nash Bridges

*CSI: Vegas

I’m sure there are a couple shows I forgot in my list, as I did this by memory...but this is primarily my collection so far. 

Edited by ViceFanMan