T.V. shows you're watching!

cageyJG

Blake's 7 - a cult sci-fi action show from the late 70s/early 80s, which I can best describe as The Dirty Dozen in Space.

Red Dwarf - classic sitcom which introduced the world to the greatest swearword ever - "Smeg". :) 

Pingu - wordless Claymation kids' show about a penguin's misadventures. Noot noot! :) 

Alien TV - wordless CGI animated show (Netflix only) about a trio of alien journalists' attempts to learn more about human culture. :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Swevicus said:

Blake's 7 - a cult sci-fi action show from the late 70s/early 80s, which I can best describe as The Dirty Dozen in Space.

Red Dwarf - classic sitcom which introduced the world to the greatest swearword ever - "Smeg". :) 

Pingu - wordless Claymation kids' show about a penguin's misadventures. Noot noot! :) 

Alien TV - wordless CGI animated show (Netflix only) about a trio of alien journalists' attempts to learn more about human culture. :) 

Love Red Dwarf and Blake's Seven! (Especially Avon!)

• Like 1

The Waco: American Apocalypse Documentary on Netflix.

I heard of this incident vaguely because of the Timothy McVeigh connection but I didn't realize it was such a horrible tragedy. My conclusion is the law enforcement could have handle it much much better and there was no need for all those tanks and Black Hawk helicopters. The use of psychological tactics as well, playing weird sounds at night. How did that help? did they think they were back in Saigon?

Also I don't think the Davidians started that blaze either.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

On 3/27/2023 at 8:40 AM, RedDragon86 said:

The Waco: American Apocalypse Documentary on Netflix.

I heard of this incident vaguely because of the Timothy McVeigh connection but I didn't realize it was such a horrible tragedy. My conclusion is the law enforcement could have handle it much much better and there was no need for all those tanks and Black Hawk helicopters. The use of psychological tactics as well, playing weird sounds at night. How did that help? did they think they were back in Saigon?

Also I don't think the Davidians started that blaze either.

I've seen this on Netflix, but haven't watched it yet. I totally remember when this happened, and the whole David Koresh debacle & making national news...it was bad!! :o I don't think Koresh was some innocent, poor guy, and he caused a lot of the situation...but ultimately I don't think the FBI and/or law enforcement handled the situation very well, either. Lots of sad, unnecessary deaths & tragedy. ;( 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Only three episodes of Barry left to air, if you like the humour of of Miami Blues, Grosse Pointe Blank you'll really enjoy it.

I went back and searched the thread to see if it was already mentioned, not one person!

Always Sunny has a new season trailer out but that show has went off the boil.

White Lotus season one and two, best written show, solid characters. 10/10

Edited by Marc

Finished watching "Mindhunter"

Amazing show! shame it got cancelled for being too expensive.

Thing is goofy, nonsensical shows like Cobra Kai get backed season after season and this thought provoking series can't get backed for another season? real shame.

Watch MINDHUNTER | Netflix Official Site

Edited by RedDragon86

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

gave Dr Quinn a chance recently. and i'm quite surprised by the quality of that series. the stories are deep, and robust. a great watch actually. i never gave it a chance before because i was kinda repulsed by the kinda chippendale looking guy, the doctor husband. who made me think it was some commercial stuff. but apparently it's a very good series

• 2 weeks later...

HAWAII FIVE-0 & MV TIE-INS!

I’ve recently been going through the Hawaii Five-0 remake (2010-2020) series. I started out watching this when it originally aired & got up through around Season 6 or 7...then for various reasons bowed out (not because I didn’t like the show). I recently acquired the entire series on DVD & the last several seasons are new to me. :D

I’m a diehard fan of the original Jack Lord (1968-1980) series & VERY rarely do I ever like a remake of a past popular TV show or movie...but this series is a true exception! The characters, character depth, chemistry with the cast, plots, filming locations, plots & story/character archs, etc...are awesome! Plus there are many superb “Easter egg” odes & tributes to the original show throughout the series! The way they went about it was amazing, and there’s truly enough proverbial room to love & enjoy both shows! :clap:

But, a couple cool tie-ins with MV are...there were at least 2 references to MV throughout the show, sometimes referring to McGarrett & Danno as Crockett & Tubbs—in a snide/sarcastic way. :p But, tonight I was watching an episode in Season 10 (last season) from the fall of 2019: “Ne'e aku, ne'e mai ke one o Punahoa: That Way and This Way Shift the Sands of Punahoa”. A guest star caught my attention fairly quickly, and I kept thinking—man this guy reminds me so much of a young Don Johnson/Crockett when he was on MV!

Well, I looked it up, and there’s a reason for that...he’s Don’s son Jesse, lol! I’ll be honest and say I’m not that familiar with his kids & their acting projects, but Jesse definitely takes after his dad! A couple pics & captions below:

7D53AA1A-8F27-4A32-A1F8-4E0BC3007644.thumb.jpeg.b64104bc257c0549aaf5a6ad52ecc195.jpeg

Jesse Johnson on a Hawaii Five-0 episode...fall of 2019!

C1D6A404-7AE8-4052-947B-11B3028870CC.jpeg.6bf0d00b8e126bcd2e17f408859975df.jpeg

Publicity still of Don Johnson for MV (around 1985)! 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

image.jpeg.869d46b7ff20387d9d080cd6e68fee04.jpeg

Watching for the first time this series.  Anyone who is an X-Files fan will recognize these three faces. Only four episodes in and I must say I love it.  The comedic element to each show is hysterical.  I don't know how I missed this during its original tv run.  Just plain fun to watch. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

image.jpeg.869d46b7ff20387d9d080cd6e68fee04.jpeg

Watching for the first time this series.  Anyone who is an X-Files fan will recognize these three faces. Only four episodes in and I must say I love it.  The comedic element to each show is hysterical.  I don't know how I missed this during its original tv run.  Just plain fun to watch. 

Great show!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Some will not care about this :p…others will, but:

Most of the shows I love and have collected over the years are crime/detective/cop/mystery ones (from all decades of TV), with a few adventure or sci-fi ones thrown in as well. But, there are some drama ones I really enjoy, too.

Recently I’ve again been going through another popular realm of the 80s (besides MV)…with elaborate fashion & glamour, over-the-top plots of greed, power, corruption, sex, even murder, and plenty of back-stabbing & dysfunction—all deep in the heart of Texas. Yes…I’m about halfway through the still, larger-than-life original series DALLAS (1978-1991)!

I have the entire franchise on DVD, but a while back I all of a sudden started having issues with the original U.S. season DVD sets…with episodes freezing up & skipping. I believe this is mainly because the U.S. sets were the double-sided discs (although when I first got them they played just fine), which several shows that had double-sided disc releases later proved problematic with these issues…including MV (although my original DVD sets of it, that are double-sided so far still play just fine). That’s why the double-sided discs were eventually phased out.

There later was a U.S. Dallas complete series DVD set, but it too had the double-sided discs—basically just a repackaging of the season sets. :rolleyes: However, I recently learned about a UK complete series DVD set that used single-sided discs instead…and has said to have none of the problems the original double-sided ones did. I acquired it, and so far no problems or issues! :thumbsup:

The set also includes the prequel TV movie, and the two reunion TV movies…as well as the same special features & 2004 reunion documentary that the U.S. set/s had. I also have all 3 seasons of the 2012-2014 revival series…but those are separate releases by TNT & have had no issues.

Once in a while it’s fun to watch something about all these rich people who have more money & power than they know what to do with…yet, they make the dumbest & stupidest decisions & choices, lol! :)

Dallas also basically “invented” the idea of a season ending on a cliffhanger…and making viewers/fans wait till the next season premiere to find out what happened. Before that, television hadn’t really done that…and almost all shows didn’t have continuing storylines or continuing character arcs. Each episode would conclude & the next would be about something completely different.

But, Dallas changed all that…and many shows today still use the cliffhanger technique to try and keep/bring back fans. Of course the most famous cliffhanger in TV history was “Who shot J.R.?”!

The 80s was one of the best decades for television (“tons” of awesome shows), in my opinion…but two of the best & most influential shows for various reasons (although there were others as well) that even still impact TV today (even if some don’t realize it) were Dallas & MV! 

IMG_3945.jpeg

IMG_3946.jpeg

IMG_3947.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2023 at 10:39 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Some will not care about this :p…others will, but:

Most of the shows I love and have collected over the years are crime/detective/cop/mystery ones (from all decades of TV), with a few adventure or sci-fi ones thrown in as well. But, there are some drama ones I really enjoy, too.

Recently I’ve again been going through another popular realm of the 80s (besides MV)…with elaborate fashion & glamour, over-the-top plots of greed, power, corruption, sex, even murder, and plenty of back-stabbing & dysfunction—all deep in the heart of Texas. Yes…I’m about halfway through the still, larger-than-life original series DALLAS (1978-1991)!

I have the entire franchise on DVD, but a while back I all of a sudden started having issues with the original U.S. season DVD sets…with episodes freezing up & skipping. I believe this is mainly because the U.S. sets were the double-sided discs (although when I first got them they played just fine), which several shows that had double-sided disc releases later proved problematic with these issues…including MV (although my original DVD sets of it, that are double-sided so far still play just fine). That’s why the double-sided discs were eventually phased out.

There later was a U.S. Dallas complete series DVD set, but it too had the double-sided discs—basically just a repackaging of the season sets. :rolleyes: However, I recently learned about a UK complete series DVD set that used single-sided discs instead…and has said to have none of the problems the original double-sided ones did. I acquired it, and so far no problems or issues! :thumbsup:

The set also includes the prequel TV movie, and the two reunion TV movies…as well as the same special features & 2004 reunion documentary that the U.S. set/s had. I also have all 3 seasons of the 2012-2014 revival series…but those are separate releases by TNT & have had no issues.

Once in a while it’s fun to watch something about all these rich people who have more money & power than they know what to do with…yet, they make the dumbest & stupidest decisions & choices, lol! :)

Dallas also basically “invented” the idea of a season ending on a cliffhanger…and making viewers/fans wait till the next season premiere to find out what happened. Before that, television hadn’t really done that…and almost all shows didn’t have continuing storylines or continuing character arcs. Each episode would conclude & the next would be about something completely different.

But, Dallas changed all that…and many shows today still use the cliffhanger technique to try and keep/bring back fans. Of course the most famous cliffhanger in TV history was “Who shot J.R.?”!

The 80s was one of the best decades for television (“tons” of awesome shows), in my opinion…but two of the best & most influential shows for various reasons (although there were others as well) that even still impact TV today (even if some don’t realize it) were Dallas & MV! 

IMG_3945.jpeg

IMG_3946.jpeg

IMG_3947.jpeg

I became a DALLAS fan from the very first episode.  I remembered Larry Hagman from the series I Dream of Jennie.  His portrayal as the greedy, I'll step on anyone, to get ahead J.R. was brilliant.  He really did become the tv character we loved to hate.  Anytime he was stopped in his tracks in a story arc by one of the other characters I cheered.  When I went to college there would be a crowd in the TV lounge watching.  This show paved the way for other "rich people" shows like DYNASTY and FALCON CREST.  I still remember the hype of the "Who shot J.R." mystery. Las Vegas odds makers were even taking bets on who did it.  This was an enjoyable show. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I became a DALLAS fan from the very first episode.  I remembered Larry Hagman from the series I Dream of Jennie.  His portrayal as the greedy, I'll step on anyone, to get ahead J.R. was brilliant.  He really did become the tv character we loved to hate.  Anytime he was stopped in his tracks in a story arc by one of the other characters I cheered.  When I went to college there would be a crowd in the TV lounge watching.  This show paved the way for other "rich people" shows like DYNASTY and FALCON CREST.  I still remember the hype of the "Who shot J.R." mystery. Las Vegas odds makers were even taking bets on who did it.  This was an enjoyable show. 

DALLAS was a phenomenon all its own (just like MV)! I was a child when the whole “Who shot J.R.?” thing happened…but that whole summer I remember that’s all my great-aunts, my grandma’s sisters, were talking about, lol!

I was spending time that summer with my grandma, and she & her sisters were all widows. So they’d come over sometimes, and even though my grandma herself didn’t really watch Dallas, her sisters did & all of them knew about & were going nuts about who did it, lol!

Thats hilarious about Las Vegas bookies taking odds on who’d done it…I heard that when Victoria Principal was flying somewhere that summer & the pilot found out she was on board his plane, he refused to land for a while until she revealed to him who’d been the shooter. Of course he was not really serious, and ultimately landed the plane. None of the cast actually knew at that time, either.

Dallas definitely paved the way for other rich people drama shows, and I also love and have Dallas’ spinoff Knots Landing, Dynasty, Falcon Crest…and even the very first primetime drama from the 60s—Peyton Place. It was only a half-hour serial, and low budget television…but for 60s TV at the time, the storylines & acting were very well written & done!

But, in my opinion none of them were/are as captivating, awesome, and larger-than-life than Dallas!! :clap: :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

DALLAS was a phenomenon all its own (just like MV)! I was a child when the whole “Who shot J.R.?” thing happened…but that whole summer I remember that’s all my great-aunts, my grandma’s sisters, were talking about, lol!

The writers of the show filmed several suspects shooting JR.  I always enjoyed this video of his shooting.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

The writers of the show filmed several suspects shooting JR.  I always enjoyed this video of his shooting.  

Yeah, they purposely did not tell the cast which one did it, but filmed a scene with each one of them supposedly being the shooter. Many are hilarious & are obvious jokes :), even while filming…but it was to still make it unknown among staff & crew, to avoid leaks to the media at the time. 

• 4 weeks later...

Besides MV, another awesome, impactful TV show used to be a huge part of my Friday nights growing up…and 45 YEARS AGO TONIGHT, it all began (Pilot episode “One Armed Bandits”: 1/26/1979)! A few pics, some with captions, below:

IMG_4019.jpeg.05c62477d1795643e8ac19d3b69ff5e9.jpeg

“Just the good ‘ol boys, never meanin’ no harm…!”

IMG_4020.png.fe422247c0adc5577e5b79e0b65a6ee0.png

IMG_4021.thumb.jpeg.ab9cf654776da87c27e6213d769e9079.jpeg

Although this is not the first “filmed” jump, this is the very first jump by the General Lee we ever saw!

IMG_4022.thumb.jpeg.590cd2b50dc2968b7193d0f9674e9e5d.jpeg

It appears a Starsky & Hutch Ford Torino is in the background. However, this was not an actual Torino used in the S&H show. It was an imitation model Ford had  put out a few years before, and was owned by one of the Dukes crew members. They decided to use it in this ‘junk yard’ scene, as a car Cooter had been working on, and drove to meet the Duke boys.

IMG_4017.jpeg.d82062451ceeef4c09d210ee9a547b34.jpeg

This is actually not a scene from the pilot, but a couple years later. However, it perfectly illustrates the camaraderie of the town & area, as despite the day’s events, they all congregated at the town’s favorite watering hole—the famous (or ‘infamous’ :p) Boars Nest! 

IMG_4024.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 2:52 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Besides MV, another awesome, impactful TV show used to be a huge part of my Friday nights growing up…and 45 YEARS AGO TONIGHT, it all began (Pilot episode “One Armed Bandits”: 1/26/1979)! A few pics, some with captions, below:

IMG_4019.jpeg.05c62477d1795643e8ac19d3b69ff5e9.jpeg

“Just the good ‘ol boys, never meanin’ no harm…!”

IMG_4020.png.fe422247c0adc5577e5b79e0b65a6ee0.png

IMG_4021.thumb.jpeg.ab9cf654776da87c27e6213d769e9079.jpeg

Although this is not the first “filmed” jump, this is the very first jump by the General Lee we ever saw!

IMG_4022.thumb.jpeg.590cd2b50dc2968b7193d0f9674e9e5d.jpeg

It appears a Starsky & Hutch Ford Torino is in the background. However, this was not an actual Torino used in the S&H show. It was an imitation model Ford had  put out a few years before, and was owned by one of the Dukes crew members. They decided to use it in this ‘junk yard’ scene, as a car Cooter had been working on, and drove to meet the Duke boys.

IMG_4017.jpeg.d82062451ceeef4c09d210ee9a547b34.jpeg

This is actually not a scene from the pilot, but a couple years later. However, it perfectly illustrates the camaraderie of the town & area, as despite the day’s events, they all congregated at the town’s favorite watering hole—the famous (or ‘infamous’ :p) Boars Nest! 

IMG_4024.jpeg

I wanted to post about this show but you beat me to it! :)

I've been watching it after nearly four decades or so. Now i'm at mid season 2. I watched the "arrest uncle Jessie" episode last night, which is about a gang of female car strippers LOL :)

This show has a special place in my heart and it was the first ever live action series i ever watched. I was in preschool back then, and we had an old black and white TV without remote. You had to walk up the TV set to operate it.

Love the car chases, the humor and comedy from those halfwits of Sheriff Rosco, deputies Enos and Cletus Hogg...and the man in white himself JD Hogg:

I can't believe he was really eating that stuff, as confirmed in a commentary from John Schneider and Kathy Bach..yuk...

In hindsight, I find this show aged better than other contemporary series such as KnightRider or the A-Team. It had its WTF moments, but at the end of the day one can relate to the stories more. It was about a down to earth country family of former moonshine smugglers and everyone in the community was there for each other. Something you don't see much nowadays.

By the way, the Sheriff didn't really care about chasing the Duke cousins at first but scheming Boss Hogg forced him to in return of a share of the profits.:)

At least two cars (a charger and a police car) were destroyed per episode so by the later seasons they used models to film jumps (so cheap). After all, 1969 Dodge chargers were difficult to get.

Whenever I watch the MV episode 'Glades' , I can't help but think of the Dukes of Hazard...I get that southern country vibe :)

yiyyyaaaaaaaaaa

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

I wanted to post about this show but you beat me to it! :)

I've been watching it after nearly four decades or so. Now i'm at mid season 2. I watched the "arrest uncle Jessie" episode last night, which is about a gang of female car strippers LOL :)

This show has a special place in my heart and it was the first ever live action series i ever watched. I was in preschool back then, and we had an old black and white TV without remote. You had to walk up the TV set to operate it.

Love the car chases, the humor and comedy from those halfwits of Sheriff Rosco, deputies Enos and Cletus Hogg...and the man in white himself JD Hogg:

I can't believe he was really eating that stuff, as confirmed in a commentary from John Schneider and Kathy Bach..yuk...

In hindsight, I find this show aged better than other contemporary series such as KnightRider or the A-Team. It had its WTF moments, but at the end of the day one can relate to the stories more. It was about a down to earth country family of former moonshine smugglers and everyone in the community was there for each other. Something you don't see much nowadays.

By the way, the Sheriff didn't really care about chasing the Duke cousins at first but scheming Boss Hogg forced him to in return of a share of the profits.:)

At least two cars (a charger and a police car) were destroyed per episode so by the later seasons they used models to film jumps (so cheap). After all, 1969 Dodge chargers were difficult to get.

Whenever I watch the MV episode 'Glades' , I can't help but think of the Dukes of Hazard...I get that southern country vibe :)

yiyyyaaaaaaaaaa

Amen to everything you said! :dance2: The Laurel & Hardy act that Boss & Rosco had going, and being able to mix that in with action and stunts, and have it work was genius! The entire cast has always loved each other like family, both on & off the screen! What they went through back then, before CGI & AI, to get the stunts & episodes filmed was grueling…but they all showed & did it…and had a blast! You don’t have shows & cast members like that anymore. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Amen to everything you said! :dance2: The Laurel & Hardy act that Boss & Rosco had going, and being able to mix that in with action and stunts, and have it work was genius! The entire cast has always loved each other like family, both on & off the screen! What they went through back then, before CGI & AI, to get the stunts & episodes filmed was grueling…but they all showed & did it…and had a blast! You don’t have shows & cast members like that anymore. 

100%! And the camaraderie on and off the set is confirmed by John Schneider YouTube videos about the show.
Just beware of some book written by a former crew member who is trying to discredit the main cast out of jealousy (especially J.Schneider and Tom Wolpat).

Stunt work was top notch with the late Paul Baxley and son Craig, They did all those crazy 30 feet high car jumps :)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

100%! And the camaraderie on and off the set is confirmed by John Schneider YouTube videos about the show.
Just beware of some book written by a former crew member who is trying to discredit the main cast out of jealousy (especially J.Schneider and Tom Wolpat).

Stunt work was top notch with the late Paul Baxley and son Craig, They did all those crazy 30 feet high car jumps :)

Absolutely…the river-jump done in Season 2, and shown in the opening credits from then on, set a record that held for years…the highest & longest jump with a live stuntman & he lived! :eek: It’s been surpassed by now, though.

But, the Baxleys & stunt crew many times had broken bones, or fractured ribs, or concussions & they’d come back the next day, and do it all over again!

Tom Wopat once said that with all the legalities & ridiculous costs by Hollywood nowadays, they couldn’t afford to make “Dukes” today! But, back then they just all got together & DID IT! No one questioned, or refused.

They all, cast & crew, literally became like a family. To this day, most that are still living, still keep in touch & get together—and that includes the behind the scenes crew & stunt people.

I’ve actually not heard about the “discrediting” book…but, the there’s always one that has issues or problems & is angry when things don’t work out. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

I've been watching it after nearly four decades or so. Now i'm at mid season 2. I watched the "arrest uncle Jessie" episode last night, which I can't believe he was really eating that stuff, as confirmed in a commentary from John Schneider and Kathy Bach..yuk...

Yeah, they said that in order to truly get in character, Sorrell Booke (Boss Hogg) would actually eat the raw liver! :sick: Lol!

The other gross stuff he would eat too…although the unrealistic HUGE amounts he always had in front of him, he did not actually consume. ;)

Sorrell also wore a fat-suit underneath the Boss Hogg outfit, as in real life he wasn’t as overweight as the character Boss. 

I grew up with the show as it originally aired…and still love it to this day! :D

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, they said that in order to truly get in character, Sorrell Booke (Boss Hogg) would actually eat the raw liver! :sick: Lol!

Method acting school i suspect....

22 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

The other gross stuff he would eat too…although the unrealistic HUGE amounts he always had in front of him, he did not actually consume.

Last week or so I watched an episode from season 2 where Boss was having an entire chicken (or something like that) and was freaking huge :)
In another episode he took a plate from a drawer with a pile of sandwiches and bite it in front of Rosco. The poor sheriff never got any food from Boss :)
Had Sorrell  consumed even a quarter of what he had in front of him, he wouldn't have had to wear the fat suit!
I've read the actor himself was nothing like Boss Hogg in real life and he could speak 7 languages and build furniture from scratch. That's some interesting hobby.

• Like 1