T.V. shows you're watching!

cageyJG

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

I have Starsky & Hutch, and Streets of San Francisco too...both cool shows!! :thumbsup:  However, I’ve not really heard that, or considered, S&H as a ‘forerunner’ for MV. 

I have ‘tons’ of shows from all decades, but one I actually haven’t really watched much before is Kojak...although I know some about it.

SOF is definitely the most realistically written! Some other 70s shows I love & have are: Charlie’s Angels, VEGA$, and the original Hawaii Five-0-(started in 1968 but went to 1980). 

Kojak was realistic too, quite descriptive of what NYC was in the 70s. And it was quite accurate from a pure police procedural aspect. Burton Armus (former NYPD detective) was technical advisor. Telly Savalas was terrific for the part. I vaguely remember watching Charlie's Angels and Vega$ (Robert Urlich) from the 80s re-runs but never got into these shows. I know what Hawaii Five-0 is all about but I've never seen an episode. They even made a reboot of that classic show.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1

I have SOSF on DVD and enjoy it very much.  I’ve watched it through more than once.  I agree it is very well written.  I have watched many, but not all, Kojak episodes from my DVR and it is also well written.  I’ve seen less Starsky and Hutch, but I enjoy seeing locations in San Pedro, the port city right next to Long Beach, where I live. It is definitely more of an action oriented, buddy cop series, but it also far more hit and miss.  Highly Bear is great though!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, pahonu said:

I have SOSF on DVD and enjoy it very much.  I’ve watched it through more than once.  I agree it is very well written.  I have watched many, but not all, Kojak episodes from my DVR and it is also well written.  I’ve seen less Starsky and Hutch, but I enjoy seeing locations in San Pedro, the port city right next to Long Beach, where I live. It is definitely more of an action oriented, buddy cop series, but it also far more hit and miss.  Highly Bear is great though!

Huggy Bear was a great CI! I also liked captain Dobey as character. The stereotypical police captain of the 70s - 80s and comic relief at times.

1 hour ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Kojak was realistic too, quite descriptive of what NYC was in the 70s. And it was quite accurate from a pure police procedural aspect. Burton Armus (form NYPD detective) was technical advisor. Telly Savals was terrific for the part. I vaguely remember watching Charlie's Angels and Vega$ (Robert Urlich) from the 80s re-runs but never got into these shows. I know what Hawaii Five-0 is all about but I've never seen an episode. They even made a reboot of that classic show.

CA & VEGA$ were more entertainment & visuals, and were ‘fun’ shows to watch...not necessarily for realism. ;) S&H, too.

Typically I don’t care for reboots of past popular shows...they were popular & became iconic for a reason at their times, and trying to recapture that same effect/s with different people & a different show rarely ever works. However,  for various reasons I actually did really like the reboot of Hawaii Five-0!  

But, the original “5-0” was a lot like MV in its day. It actually went to the real exotic or tropical locations (was actually the first TV series to do so, even after the network said it couldn’t be done), utilized colors & visuals, but also tried to be more realistic, gritty, and/or “darker” with some of the plots/storylines. There wasn’t always a happy ending.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

But, the original “5-0” was a lot like MV in its day. It actually went to the real exotic or tropical locations (was actually the first TV series to do so, even after the network said it couldn’t be done), utilized colors & visuals, but also tried to be more realistic, gritty, and/or “darker” with some of the plots/storylines. There wasn’t always a happy ending.

Some sort of forerunner for MV!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Typically I don’t care for reboots of past popular shows...they were popular & became iconic for a reason at their times, and trying to recapture that same effect/s with different people & a different show rarely ever works. However,  for various reasons I actually did really like the reboot of Hawaii Five-0!  

It hasn't been quite the same for Magnum PI reboot

3 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

It hasn't been quite the same for Magnum PI reboot

Nope...nor for MacGyver. Nor did the reboots of Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, or Charlie’s Angels go over well in years past. However, one aspect of the “5-0” reboot that really helped was the chemistry, and connection the characters had with each other. They were also in-depth, relatable and like-able characters. 

Just now, ViceFanMan said:

Nor did the reboots of Knight Rider,

OMG! that really killed the classic show's legacy. Used to be a fan of the original show and I didn't even want to try watching the reboot. The Knighrider2000 movie was bad, hence the reboot had to be awful!

• Like 1

Just now, sdiegolo78 said:

OMG! that really killed the classic show's legacy. Used to be a fan of the original show and I didn't even want to try watching the reboot. The Knighrider2000 movie was bad, hence the reboot had to be awful!

Very true! I grew up with the original show, and was VERY disappointed in the reunion “2000” movie done in 91...as they killed Devin off (Edward Mulhare was still alive at that time), and the 2008 reboot focused WAY too much on unrealistic, over-the-top science fiction technology. The characters & even the new KITT were shallow and pathetic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

Very true! I grew up with the original show, and was VERY disappointed in the reunion “2000” movie done in 91...as they killed Devin off (Edward Mulhare was still alive at that time), and the 2008 reboot focused WAY too much on unrealistic, over-the-top science fiction technology. The characters & even the new KITT were shallow and pathetic. 

Was the Hoff even in the reboot as cameo or something? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Was the Hoff even in the reboot as cameo or something? :rolleyes:

He had a small cameo in the pilot of the reboot, but wasn’t in the rest of it. 

6 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I am watching Better Call Saul for the second time, great show.

Never seen that one but a friend swears by it :) I'm watching series 1 of Wiseguy, being a big William Russ fan- it's really good.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Team Knight Rider (1997-1998) was dreadful.  Most probably don't even remember it was a show ... for a short time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IA-SteveB said:

Team Knight Rider (1997-1998) was dreadful.  Most probably don't even remember it was a show ... for a short time.

I totally forgot about that...I remember hearing/reading about it back in 97, but I never saw any of it. It looked and sounded ridiculous, and not that much to do with the original show other than part of the title. 

1 hour ago, IA-SteveB said:

yeah not memorable at all...and it really deviates from the original concept

@IA-SteveB and @ViceFanMan, this is cool:

...we're nearing the 40th anniversary! PS: in the video the hoff he's asked about a reboot and he goes '...yeah, we'll see what;s happening'...it's been 10 years a remake or theatrical release is rumored but nothing yet...

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1

Great link, man.  That show was such a big part of my youth.  I had the action figure, the talking KITT car and all kinds of other Knight Rider stuff.  It had been my dream to build a replica until I researched the true cost to do it the right way.  Egads is it expensive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 1:41 PM, IA-SteveB said:

Great link, man.  That show was such a big part of my youth.  I had the action figure, the talking KITT car and all kinds of other Knight Rider stuff.  It had been my dream to build a replica until I researched the true cost to do it the right way.  Egads is it expensive.

Definitely part of my youth...as was Dukes of Hazzard, Magnum, Hunter, A-Team, and MV! I too had the talking KITT with Michael Knight action figure, the lunchbox, and board-game (still have them). Later as an adult I got the TVGuides off eBay. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the 7th -last - season of „Bosch“, only 8 episodes instead of 10. 

Great series although the ending was not fully satisfying in my perception as the sleazy Chief (Lance Reddick) got away. Great characters and a good combination of cases and plots throughout the seasons make it one of the best series of the last few years to me.

PS some interesting locations involved. Bosch‘s stilts home is real, at 1870 Blue Heights Drive, although doubtful whether an LA cop could afford it.

• Administrators

I'm watching Clarkson's Farm. Just Jeremy Clarkson f'ing about on his farm during lockdown and I question what I'm doing with my life because I'm literally watching a guy do some farming. I have no interest in farming, however I am a fan of Jeremy Clarkson. 

• Haha 1

Just watched the entirety of Mindhunter within like 48 hours and now my brains scrambled. I should've watched it way sooner. Incredible show.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished watching "Evil Genius" on Netflix, the true story of America's most diabolical bank heist that happened in 2003.

I don't remember this happening at the time, it really is one of the weirdest cases I have came across with a lot of unanswered questions.

Great watch.

Evil-Genius-1-e1525096204206.jpeg

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I’m still watching Miami Vice :) 

Me too! I’m actually going through two shows concurrently...MV and Criminal Minds, lol! I’ve never seen the entire series of CM (only originally watched the first 7 seasons), but have recently gotten the entire series’ DVD sets.

With MV, rather than just binge watching, this time I’m actually taking 3 episodes a time, and really re-focusing on each one...watching them twice. It’s been a lot of fun! :dance2: I’ve seen some things I’ve forgotten or didn’t notice before, and it’s elongated the show out for me...which lots of times anymore 5 seasons or less doesn’t take me long to get through. 

• Like 2