Miami Vice reboot happening for real now?

Daytona74

On 7/10/2018 at 12:48 PM, Daytona74 said:

Just found this...

Don Johnson's thoughts on what Sonny Crockett would be like today. :thumbsup:

Let's hope he will be part of the new series. You can just picture Crockett living on a house boat in the Keys, probably still offering fishing tours for tourists, and dispensing his invaluable advice to today's OCB personnel.

well...at last, Don is dealing with his past as Crockett more nicely.

• Like 1

was watching Borrasca yesterday. that episode is the perfect example to me of what MV should have turned into. not one character focused, and more importance given to other characters. Switek in undercover cop, is great. it really suggest M. Talbott has great actor skills. but well it was the era. in the 80s i don't think a 'team concept' would have worked. not in MV series at least

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 12:17 AM, Assasinge said:

Speaking of this thread...any news on the reboot? Haven't heard since August...

theres a link on imdb.com about miami vice reboot, but only available if you have imdbpro . But i bet theres nothing new...

• Administrators

Hey Mr. C!  Good to hear from you. I don't know what plans they have for this reboot but it should be interesting!

• Like 1

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

how cruel you are. give 'em a chance :)

Haha I'm just joking, of course I'll give it a chance.

I just hope and pray ol' Vin doesn't screw it up. 

• Like 3

Is this so-called reboot actually, officially in the works...or is all this still in the idea/planning stages? 

• Like 1

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Is this so-called reboot actually, officially in the works...or is all this still in the idea/planning stages? 

I recall reading something about it being "in the works", the articles said that. Probably writing and searching for actors, trying to come up with a style. 

It's strange how it's taking so long though, makes me think that maybe it's not going to happen. Because they announced Magnum PI after Miami Vice was announced and that's already ready to broadcast. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, jpm1 said:

was watching Borrasca yesterday. that episode is the perfect example to me of what MV should have turned into. not one character focused, and more importance given to other characters. Switek in undercover cop, is great. it really suggest M. Talbott has great actor skills. but well it was the era. in the 80s i don't think a 'team concept' would have worked. not in MV series at least

I personally wished the other Vice squad characters were included more in the episodes along with Crockett and Tubbs for instance, how you see in the TV series NCIS. There are those main characters, who are always in the forefront, but the supporting cast also gets enough airtime. I think it worked well on MV, when all of the Vice team were working together and not just appeared in one or two scenes. Felt it should have been like that from the beginning. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

I personally wished the other Vice squad characters were included more in the episodes along with Crockett and Tubbs for instance, how you see in the TV series NCIS. There are those main characters, who are always in the forefront, but the supporting cast also gets enough airtime. I think it worked well on MV, when all of the Vice team were working together and not just appeared in one or two scenes. Felt it should have been like that from the beginning. 

Agreed. I especially would have loved more love for Switek and Zito, I personally loved their comic relief at times and their ability to be good detectives too. Though Diehl did get fed up with his character, maybe because of how little involvement he was getting as the series progressed I think? Oh well. He was making like over 200k a year in that show LOL!

9 hours ago, James said:

I recall reading something about it being "in the works", the articles said that. Probably writing and searching for actors, trying to come up with a style. 

It's strange how it's taking so long though, makes me think that maybe it's not going to happen. Because they announced Magnum PI after Miami Vice was announced and that's already ready to broadcast. 

They’ve been talking about a Magnum reboot for couple years...I didn’t know it was actually in production, but I guess it is premiering this fall. We’ll see...I had serious doubts about the 5-0 reboot back in ‘10, but I ultimately have really liked the new 5-0! So, I guess I’ll give the new Magnum a chance...same with an MV reboot if it ends up happening. But there’s a reason the originals are just that—and became instant TV icons. It’s almost impossible to re-create that kind of impact. Except for 5-0, all other past TV show reboots have failed: Bionic Woman, Knight Rider, Charlie’s Angels, etc...

• Like 1

This is one of the latest articles from May 2018, where DJ gets asked about the Nash Bridges and Miami Vice reboot. https://torontosun.com/entertainment/television/don-johnson-sounds-off-on-miami-vice-and-nash-bridges-reboots

"In the works" doesn't necessarily mean the project has been greenlit, that's at least what I've read. But with all of these TV shows getting revived, it wouldn't make sense that MV didn't get that treatment as well. I mean shows older than Vice have gotten a reboot or remake. 

It feels Vice is always behind, that everything goes much slower when it comes to releases, reboot and reunions. 

I'm not for the reboot, but if it's going to be made than I can't help to not be curious about how a modern version will be like. :) 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

I think the reboot is not going to happen and I am happy about it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get MV revived with or without some original actors involved but only if it brings the spirit and the magic of the original back and that hinges on the chemistry between C&T (I know it would not be the same with different actors) and the team esp. Castillo interweaved with the stories, not just some cool guys in fast cars and bikini beauties under palm trees on Ocean Drive. I am not keen on seeing another uninspired fast-buck use-the-title-only remake like the 2006 movie was-and that was screwed up by the original MV mastermind Michael Mann himself. And bearing in mind that Vin Diesel is said to be working on the remake, this idea better stays buried in the studios vaults as it can only get much worse than that under these circumstances. I liked Diesel in XXX and the first Fast and Furious installment but he is definitely not the type of guy that would deliver what I outlined above as he is exactly the contrary of what MV stands for. Better that the original magic is kept without reboot instead of destroying the memory of a revolutionary series with a mediocre revival as it will happen with Magnum this fall on CBS when a guy without charisma and without a mustache (Jay Hernandez from "Hostel") in a red Ferrari will drive towards the sunset only to find out that without the unique chemistry of Rick, TC and Higgins characters and actors it will only manage to damage the original and the wallets of the producers.

This is not a hope but a prediction. I just saw a few old Magnum episodes after a long time and was surprised that the stories were much flatter (or let's say a bit arbitrary and the directing/editing very old school) but the chemistry of the actors was much stronger than I recalled and that defined the show as success. Same with Vice. Can you imagine Nick Nolte and Mark Harmon (were both on shortlist) as Crockett and Tubbs?

Sorry for the long posting but that "let's recycle everything we can" policy of the studios is annoying for me as it is not driven by craftsmanship or appreciation for hit series but just by lack of new ideas.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think the reboot is not going to happen and I am happy about it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get MV revived with or without some original actors involved but only if it brings the spirit and the magic of the original back and that hinges on the chemistry between C&T (I know it would not be the same with different actors) and the team esp. Castillo interweaved with the stories, not just some cool guys in fast cars and bikini beauties under palm trees on Ocean Drive. I am not keen on seeing another uninspired fast-buck use-the-title-only remake like the 2006 movie was-and that was screwed up by the original MV mastermind Michael Mann himself. And bearing in mind that Vin Diesel is said to be working on the remake, this idea better stays buried in the studios vaults as it can only get much worse than that under these circumstances. I liked Diesel in XXX and the first Fast and Furious installment but he is definitely not the type of guy that would deliver what I outlined above as he is exactly the contrary of what MV stands for. Better that the original magic is kept without reboot instead of destroying the memory of a revolutionary series with a mediocre revival as it will happen with Magnum this fall on CBS when a guy without charisma and without a mustache (Jay Hernandez from "Hostel") in a red Ferrari will drive towards the sunset only to find out that without the unique chemistry of Rick, TC and Higgins characters and actors it will only manage to damage the original and the wallets of the producers.

This is not a hope but a prediction. I just saw a few old Magnum episodes after a long time and was surprised that the stories were much flatter (or let's say a bit arbitrary and the directing/editing very old school) but the chemistry of the actors was much stronger than I recalled and that defined the show as success. Same with Vice. Can you imagine Nick Nolte and Mark Harmon (were both on shortlist) as Crockett and Tubbs?

Sorry for the long posting but that "let's recycle everything we can" policy of the studios is annoying for me as it is not driven by craftsmanship or appreciation for hit series but just by lack of new ideas.

When Magnum first started it literally went into using the studios and crew left over from Hawaii Five-0...so in the beginning some of the directing might seem somewhat “flat”...but in my opinion it didn’t take long for Magnum to delve into its own show & direction, and I never saw that the stories or plot lines were bad—as they were more about the personal cases or lives of a few select characters, rather than the case a full police force is working on (5-0). 

I agree, the MV reboot (as well as Magnum’s) probably should not happen...but creativity and class has long-left Hollywood years ago! They can’t do anything but try and reuse old ideas and hope they’ll work again, as well as pretend they’re politicians. So, we’ll see...time will tell. 

48 minutes ago, Tom said:

Sorry for the long posting but that "let's recycle everything we can" policy of the studios is annoying for me as it is not driven by craftsmanship or appreciation for hit series but just by lack of new ideas

I agree. They should come up with something new, although they apparently are, but it's not something that's caught my interest with science fiction, super heroes and series like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

if the reboot wants to be like the original, it has to be something new. this is where all the difficulty is. if a reboot wants to last long, it has to bring (new) good ideas. i hardly see the same background working nowadays. not the same era, not the same mentality, not the same bad guys. not sure a guy that will drive a 20L/100 km car will get a good press nowadays. personnally, i see a deep, noire atmosphere working. but it's just my 2c

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb jpm1:

if the reboot wants to be like the original, it has to be something new. this is where all the difficulty is. if a reboot wants to last long, it has to bring (new) good ideas. i hardly see the same background working nowadays. not the same era, not the same mentality, not the same bad guys. not sure a guy that will drive a 20L/100 km car will get a good press nowadays. personnally, i see a deep, noire atmosphere working. but it's just my 2c

I agree. Transform to the 2010s but keep the original feel at the same time is needed but nearly impossible to achieve. It will always fall off from the original. It's like recreating grandma's famous apple pie recipe from memory because the cookbook has got lost. That's supporting my original gut feel just to drop the idea of a reboot. It will never come close to the original anyway that was a product of its own time (80s, Miami as drug capital, music,...) and a special mix of actors and characters. Bottom line: never try to copy a game changer like MV. Try to invent your own new game changer series if you can. Amazon Prime and Netflix have been trying that recently with new concepts and lots of new series. Not that I see anything that comes close but I appreciate the effort and some of the outcomes.

• Like 1

If even Michael Mann himself couldn't make a Miami Vice movie that was up to scratch, then it could prove impossible to make a new Miami Vice series a lasting hit. In a way, he had the same kind of problem that people like Dick Wolf had when the original creative team left the show after S2 and going into S3.

It just might be that the magic formula of seasons 1 and 2 can never be recreated again.

That doesn't mean there is no chance for a successful modern-day show about vice cops in Miami (although the odds aren't good with Vin Diesel as producer). But it means it is going to be very difficult to make a show that will be enjoyed by the old fans and by new fans alike. And even if they pull out all the stops and throw all the money and fancy cars, boats, yachts, designer clothing and chart music at it that they can come by, none of that will be a unique selling point like the original seasons 1 and 2 were. It will just be another glamorous, pretty to look at show like so many others nowadays.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

Even if it’s horrible, at this point, I couldn’t be more curious about how the reboot will look, feel, and sound. Aside from the obvious elements (cast, locations, etc.), these sensual details have become the real substance of what made the original so completely unique for me. 

• Like 2

Okay...I watched and tried to like all the past reboots of previous popular TV shows: Bionic Woman, Knight Rider, Charlie’s Angels, etc... I will probably watch and at least try an MV reboot, if they do one. But not gonna lie...I doubt one would last. None of those other show reboots were anything like the originals, and were doomed from the start. :( 

But, I thought the same thing about the Hawaii Five-0 reboot back in 2010, as I’m a huge/avid fan of the (1968-1980) Jack Lord original. In fact, as I’ve stated in the “TV Shows You’re Watching” forum recently, I’m going through that show again this summer. 

But, I really like the new 5-0...can’t say exactly what it is, but there’s something about it that captivates me too, and it’s its own show...odes to the original, but enough differences to be able to respect and enjoy both series! I hope it keeps going and at least ties its predecessor with 12 seasons. So, I guess you never know. ;)

• Administrators
7 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Okay...I watched and tried to like all the past reboots of previous popular TV shows: Bionic Woman, Knight Rider, Charlie’s Angels, etc... I will probably watch and at least try an MV reboot, if they do one. But not gonna lie...I doubt one would last. None of those other show reboots were anything like the originals, and were doomed from the start. :( 

But, I thought the same thing about the Hawaii Five-0 reboot back in 2010, as I’m a huge/avid fan of the (1968-1980) Jack Lord original. In fact, as I’ve stated in the “TV Shows You’re Watching” forum recently, I’m going through that show again this summer. 

But, I really like the new 5-0...can’t say exactly what it is, but there’s something about it that captivates me too, and it’s its own show...odes to the original, but enough differences to be able to respect and enjoy both series! I hope it keeps going and at least ties its predecessor with 12 seasons. So, I guess you never know. ;)

The thing with 5-0, and even MacGyver is that they're trying to be their own thing, they're pretty much new series' based on the originals, like how you'd occasionally get a show or a movie based on a book, they base it on the thing and reinvent it. It even says in the credits "based on". Whereas the cheesy reboots tried to be too much like the original show but failed miserably, they're not based on the original show, they're actually trying to be the original show. 

Like Magnum PI, looks like they're having an identity crisis, don't know if they want to be like the original or brand new, that will fail for sure. 

• Like 1

I don't see how anything but an update one off original cast "one last case" made for TV movie would work.  Times have changed.  This fact would have to the very basis an update could be built off of.  The ideal life of 1984 is not the ideal life of 2018.  The materialistic "superficialism"  of the "ME" 1980's has been replaced by what appears to be a more human, more compassionate social norm.  No one gave a sh$# in 1981there were 621 murders because of the tidal wave of cash that flooded every cash register in Broward County.  Nowadays there would understandably be such huge media response the likes of which have never been seen before.  A modern day MV that would truly connect to its audience would have to reflect the social change that's occurred in the last 30yrs.  Otherwise it would be a pathetic out of date flop.

https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/issues-ideas/article2267678.html

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/1981-miamis-deadliest-summer-6565290

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article162757543.html

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 2