Miami Vice reboot happening for real now?

Daytona74

vor 4 Stunden schrieb James:

I wouldn't be surprised if Vin has come across this forum at least once during his research. We get 200 clicks from search engines daily. 

Well then at least he will know what he is up against. If he's going to turn it into a Fast&Furious:Miami, then there probably isn't going to be a single fan of the original series who will give him a thumbs up. And you need to have the old fans on board to turn something like this into a success.

He will do well to hire top class writers who can deliver stories on par with "Golden Triangle" or "The Home Invaders". Everything else just isn't going to cut it.

• Administrators

I'm sure he realises that he can't just make Fast & Furious as a TV show and slap the Miami Vice name on it... If he wanted to reboot Miami Vice, then it had to be something specific about the show that he liked. If he wanted to make Fast & Furious into a TV show, wouldn't he just come up with an original show? 

But then again, the Magnum PI reboot looks like they went a "Fast and Furious" direction... :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 4:44 AM, Caroline Crockett said:

1: If there is no Jan Hammer, it's not Miami Vice (sorry for Tim Truman's fans).

2: It can't be in the 80's. Impossible to recreate. The action should be contemporary.

3: Nobody else should play the main characters. They should play themselves, now, be guest stars or still main characters who evolved in their lives and jobs. 

4: Original young characters should be the center of the story now. Billy Crockett (Hire Jesse Johnson) or Rico Jr. Or a baby from Sonny's many love stories. Why not Rico and Valerie's daughter? 

5: They shouldn't do it.

I'm with you, my dear former wife ;-)

• Haha 3

Well if VIN DIESEL is trolling about on this site...

An open letter:

Dear Mr. Diesel,

Please consider hiring some of us (me!) here at MiamiViceOnline as consultants on your upcoming re-make of Miami Vice.

I was a cop for almost 25 years in a combination of very affluent suburbs and a dirty, drug-filled big City.  I worked Investigations, SWAT, some undercover/Vice, etc.  Was also a Theater Major in college and have worked as a personal bodyguard for a few A-lister/Hollywood types. 

MOST IMPORTANTLY,:  I LOVE Miami Vice.  I love what it represented at the time, and more importantly what it means to so many people today.  The show did some things with network television and the police procedural format that was never done before and has never been done as well again.

We at MiamiViceOnline love the original show, and everything it represents in it’s pastel-tinted, synthesizer-swirling nostalgic glory.  

As such, the original actors must be included in their original roles, even as occasional guest stars.  Then go forward with new characters played by actors who have the ability to define the role in a way no one else has.  

Find a young, hungry, incredibly talented composer to break new ground on what and how a T.V. Show’s score can be, and how it can be  so good that it becomes a character in the show in and of itself.

Find a creative/visual team who can see the darkness and grittiness and evil that lurks in a city like Miami, but can capture the phoenix struggling to rise from the ashes and with the images you recreate re-invent an entire region.

Do the work to bring a detailed , well-researched realism to be the foundation of all the “Fast and Furious/music video” flash and bling.

Most importantly, understand the almost sacred canon upon which you will be building on and bringing back to life.

I/we at MiamiViceOnline truly wish you great success in this endeavor, and humbly offer any services and insight you may require.

Respectfully, and awaiting your contact,
Marco Falcone.

• Like 5

On 7/24/2017 at 1:04 PM, vicegirl85 said:

My opinion is that the MV ship has sailed, for all of the reasons listed above.  I didn't want the series to end when it did and at the time I found the ending unsatisfactory:  I didn't like the way loose ends were left hanging--Tubbs' son, Switek's struggle to overcome his gambling addiction, the Crockett-Gina chemistry (left dead on the vine by the writers but not, I think, by the characters).  Poor Trudy got even less character development than Switek.  However, it is what it is, and the show was given a defined ending.  In the past couple of years I have been able to view Season 5 in a new way and appreciate the way a certain storytelling arc was fulfilled, and in a way that was almost inevitable. (even if I'm still not satisfied with it!) 

The original actors are all too old to recap their characters as active-duty police officers, and while one or two could be brought back in departmental leadership roles, I feel that the main thrust of the stories would necessarily be focused on younger characters due to demographics.  Miami is not the fresh new venue it was in 1984.  

On the positive side:  The current opioid crisis would provide a potential gold mine of material and would fit the noir theme of MV.  If music was used with the same sensitivity as it was in the original, it could draw viewers (that said, I am no music-head and don't really listen to new music).  While there could never be another Crockett, Tubbs, or Castillo, there could be new characters who would become iconic.  Miami itself as a multinational melting pot and entry point to the US still has potential to provide rich story material.     

Great post and opinion Vice girl!

Interestingly on Don Johnson’s official Instagram page in the last few days he posted a throwback picture of him and Frank Zappa from Season 2s “Payback”. 

Appears he and his wife and at least one of his sons have been vacationing in Corsica, Italy and the South of France this August.:hippie:

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Marco Falcone:

Well if VIN DIESEL is trolling about on this site...

An open letter:

Dear Mr. Diesel,

Please consider hiring some of us (me!) here at MiamiViceOnline as consultants on your upcoming re-make of Miami Vice.

I was a cop for almost 25 years in a combination of very affluent suburbs and a dirty, drug-filled big City.  I worked Investigations, SWAT, some undercover/Vice, etc.  Was also a Theater Major in college and have worked as a personal bodyguard for a few A-lister/Hollywood types. 

MOST IMPORTANTLY,:  I LOVE Miami Vice.  I love what it represented at the time, and more importantly what it means to so many people today.  The show did some things with network television and the police procedural format that was never done before and has never been done as well again.

We at MiamiViceOnline love the original show, and everything it represents in it’s pastel-tinted, synthesizer-swirling nostalgic glory.  

As such, the original actors must be included in their original roles, even as occasional guest stars.  Then go forward with new characters played by actors who have the ability to define the role in a way no one else has.  

Find a young, hungry, incredibly talented composer to break new ground on what and how a T.V. Show’s score can be, and how it can be  so good that it becomes a character in the show in and of itself.

Find a creative/visual team who can see the darkness and grittiness and evil that lurks in a city like Miami, but can capture the phoenix struggling to rise from the ashes and with the images you recreate re-invent an entire region.

Do the work to bring a detailed , well-researched realism to be the foundation of all the “Fast and Furious/music video” flash and bling.

Most importantly, understand the almost sacred canon upon which you will be building on and bringing back to life.

I/we at MiamiViceOnline truly wish you great success in this endeavor, and humbly offer any services and insight you may require.

Respectfully, and awaiting your contact,
Marco Falcone.

If I was in HR at NBC, I would hire you on the spot after reading this... :thumbsup:

Seriously though, a veteran police officer with decades of relevant experience should be one of their top picks as an advisor on the show.

Maybe you will become the next Bob Hoelscher ;)

Also, IF somebody at NBC is reading our ramblings on this forum... how about we suggest some episodes for them to watch so that they can get a feel for what it is that we loved and continue to love so much about the show.

1. Brother's Keeper - as an example of how to knock a pilot out of the ballpark and hit the ground running

2. Calderone's Return and Sons and Lovers - how to portray druglord kingpins like Calderone, and good versus evil, and the two becoming so intertwined you don't know which way is up anymore

3. Golden Triangle and Bushido - some of the finest Miami Noir that the show could ever muster

4. Made For Each Other - how to make a fun, light hearted MV episode without it becoming a silly trainwreck

5. Prodigal Son - for a Vice-style portrayal of global capitalism and its hand in the drug trade

6. Killshot - pretty dark episode, one of the best season 3 scripts... but please give it some pastels... ;)

Add your suggestions...

Edited by Daytona74

• 11 months later...

Has anything happened with this since it was announced, or did it get sidelined because of all of the fast and furious movie shinnangans they had going on with Vin and the like

and personally if they ever do remake this, I hope they change it so that Crockett is DEA and ex street cop on loan to the Miami Vice to help with the drug problems, and is using that as a way to track a bigger drug dealer, ala Calderone that way you could do the longer take heavier cover episodes, along with the normal policing episodes, and explain away why he had access to such high end stuff with ease in both.

as I remember that being a point of contention with people in the latter seasons, so much so that I half think they wrote him getting married to a starlet to explain away the cost of everything.

as the boat and the cars, I think most people could accept, but the over the top fashion, and the watches, and the sunglasses got abit much for people when the show got the bigger budget that it did in S2, as it kinda removed the need for them to buy the stuff on the cheap that kinda gave S1 its charm, as art thrives on limitations and they did go abit overboard in S2, which lead to it going too much the other way with S3, and then S4 happened lol

where I swear Dick Wolf actively did his best to sabotage the show as much as he could so he could do other projects like Law and order, where it was more about the politics of crime and trying people for them, than the crime and the actions themselves.

Edited by Kavinsky

I sent a letter to Vin Diesel too.

Mr. Vin Diesel,

Im much better than Colin Farrel. Im almost a Don Johnson look a like. But i do accept to be the new Miguel Pinero or even the new Noogie. With a dyed hair i can be the Noogie albino. What about Izzy?

Im from South America, and here, Crockett and Tubbs wouldnt survive the first commercial gap/slot. The ferrari would be stolen and disassembled. The parts would be sold for a junkyard. And this will be happen right on the first episode.  This sh*thole i live is not designed for mtv cops.

Yes, dont forget to hire a "gostosa" actress to be my kaitlin davies. No, i wont accept Sheen Easton old in a wheel chair. Well...wait...who knows...?

Hire me. My english sux, but you wont get disapointed.

Your pal,

Mr. Calderon

Edited by Mr. Calderon
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kavinsky said:

Has anything happened with this since it was announced, or did it get sidelined because of all of the fast and furious movie shinnangans they had going on with Vin and the like

and personally if they ever do remake this, I hope they change it so that Crockett is DEA and ex street cop on loan to the Miami Vice to help with the drug problems, and is using that as a way to track a bigger drug dealer, ala Calderone that way you could do the longer take heavier cover episodes, along with the normal policing episodes, and explain away why he had access to such high end stuff with ease in both.

as I remember that being a point of contention with people in the latter seasons, so much so that I half think they wrote him getting married to a starlet to explain away the cost of everything.

as the boat and the cars, I think most people could accept, but the over the top fashion, and the watches, and the sunglasses got abit much for people when the show got the bigger budget that it did in S2, as it kinda removed the need for them to buy the stuff on the cheap that kinda gave S1 its charm, as art thrives on limitations and they did go abit overboard in S2, which lead to it going too much the other way with S3, and then S4 happened lol

where I swear Dick Wolf actively did his best to sabotage the show as much as he could so he could do other projects like Law and order, where it was more about the politics of crime and trying people for them, than the crime and the actions themselves.

One thing is sure...Don already said hes not into that. Well...til now..it seems Cheech wouldnt be on the new Nash Bridges revival. I think the Nash Bridges true fans wouldnt like this. Its like to do a Miami Vice reboot without Tubbs. Im usually checking the imdb, but its always on production. Remember when producers were doing superhero movies in the 90s. Almost 10 years to show something new...

On 8/4/2019 at 2:16 PM, Kavinsky said:

I think it’s something they were considering a couple years ago, but it’s never really gone anywhere or moved forward. If it hasn’t been dropped or abandoned, it’s most likely been “shelved”...indefinitely.

Personally I hope the remake project is not revived or carried out. The movie was horrible enough back in ‘06, that a TV remake would more than likely end up being ridiculous too. However, Hawaii Five-0’s remake is awesome and I’m a huge fan of the Jack Lord original. Haven’t seen or checked out the new Magnum, p.i...so don’t know if it’s any good?? But Tom Selleck will always be the “real” Magnum! TV remakes usually flop...revivals of originals are a different story (Hunter, Dallas, etc...), but remakes don’t usually fare well. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

I think it’s something they were considering a couple years ago, but it’s never really gone anywhere or moved forward. If it hasn’t been dropped or abandoned, it’s most likely been “shelved”...indefinitely.

Personally I hope the remake project is not revived or carried out. The movie was horrible enough back in ‘06, that a TV remake would more than likely end up being ridiculous too. However, Hawaii Five-0’s remake is awesome and I’m a huge fan of the Jack Lord original. Haven’t seen or checked out the new Magnum, p.i...so don’t know if it’s any good?? But Tom Selleck will always be the “real” Magnum! TV remakes usually flop...revivals of originals are a different story (Hunter, Dallas, etc...), but remakes don’t usually fare well. 

The Magnum PI reboot is okay, but it ain't Magnum PI. Don't go in there expecting Magnum. Putting that aside it's actually a cool show, I like it better than Hawaii Five-O. It sort of has a holiday feel to it. It's a good show if you want to just kick back and watch something to kill some time and watch some palm trees in the wind. 

Edited by James
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, James said:

The Magnum PI reboot is okay, but it ain't Magnum PI. Don't go in there expecting Magnum. Putting that aside it's actually a cool show, I like it better than Hawaii Five-O. It sort of has a holiday feel to it. It's a good show if you want to just kick back and watch something to kill some time and watch some palm trees in the wind. 

Thanks for the info...might eventually check it out. :thumbsup: 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

Thanks for the info...might eventually check it out. :thumbsup: 

Oh, and I must warn you, the pilot episode is cringe as hell. But it gets better afterwards in the proper episodes.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 3:47 AM, Mr. Calderon said:

I sent a letter to Vin Diesel too.

Mr. Vin Diesel,

Im much better than Colin Farrel. Im almost a Don Johnson look a like. But i do accept to be the new Miguel Pinero or even the new Noogie. With a dyed hair i can be the Noogie albino. What about Izzy?

Im from South America, and here, Crockett and Tubbs wouldnt survive the first commercial gap/slot. The ferrari would be stolen and disassembled. The parts would be sold for a junkyard. And this will be happen right on the first episode.  This sh*thole i live is not designed for mtv cops.

Yes, dont forget to hire a "gostosa" actress to be my kaitlin davies. No, i wont accept Sheen Easton old in a wheel chair. Well...wait...who knows...?

Hire me. My english sux, but you wont get disapointed.

Your pal,

Mr. Calderon

Should I send a similar letter to Mr. Diesel? I wonder which role he would choose for me  ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry B. said:

Should I send a similar letter to Mr. Diesel? I wonder which role he would choose for me  ;-)

“Music Composed and Perfomed By”

:p

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry B. said:

Isnt "el gato", right? :)

• Like 1

Actually I've heard mixed feelings from my friends about the Magnum PI reboot, partly because of higgins's recasting, as they went that cheap pandering route that everyone's been doing as of late, mind you its the first season and those are always rocky, but still its not exactly a nice thing to wreck an icon of the show like the ferrari 308, and then show all of it in the trailer for the pilot of the show itself, while doing that, and killing off someone who was a key character in the old show to drive the plot forward

resulting in one of the reactions literally being, well now I dont have to watch the pilot as it spoiled the whole damn thing from an outside critic trying to do a first reaction to it for a video

like it smacks of how people reacted to them wrecking a classic corvette in the star trek 09 reboot, as the car was made in the same year as the tv show came out, and people took it as them saying were gonna take your classic tv show and drive it off a cliff

which with Alex Kurtzman is EXACTLY what' he's did to star trek and robert Orci's attempt to make it actually star trek like, and unrelated, but apparently they dont have phones that have redial features in the future for emergencies like they had in the pilot of star trek discovery.

which resulted in one of the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life, dumber than batman and robin and the bat credit card, unbelievably so, but their it lies.

like all you had to do was call him back infront of the captain and have him repeat what he just told you to her, and you call yourself a vulcan lol

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Kavinsky said:

Actually I've heard mixed feelings from my friends about the Magnum PI reboot, partly because of higgins's recasting, as they went that cheap pandering route that everyone's been doing as of late, mind you its the first season and those are always rocky, but still its not exactly a nice thing to wreck an icon of the show like the ferrari 308, and then show all of it in the trailer for the pilot of the show itself, while doing that, and killing off someone who was a key character in the old show to drive the plot forward

resulting in one of the reactions literally being, well now I dont have to watch the pilot as it spoiled the whole damn thing from an outside critic trying to do a first reaction to it for a video

I felt the same way after the pilot, the wrecking of the 308 (although it was CGI)... Actually all the CGI, and originally wasn't a fan of the new Higgins, watching the whole episode I was full of cringe thinking "I hate this" - But once I watched episode 2, and episode 3 it grew on me. Because they actually stopped doing most of the cringe stuff and the rest of the season was actually watchable. They don't even have much CGI, maybe just in a couple of episodes. The pilot is NOTHING like what the rest of the season turned out to be. I can understand people being turned off by the pilot though, it was a terrible pilot. 

Higgins was done for the sake of having a woman, however she becomes a decent character as an ex-MI6 agent who gets involved in Magnum's cases. The flirting between them is kind of weird though. 

hmm so they did actually straighten it out post the pilot then, do they do anything like they did with the old one where they used the music in a very miami vice esque fashion like they did with Geneis's Mama for death and taxes and the like, or is it much more modern scoring and kinda background noise?

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Its set to 2020.

Yes I saw the Miami Heat- NBC Trailer saying Miami Vice 2020.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1