Miami Vice reboot happening for real now?

Daytona74

@Daytona74 I agree, that the new TV series should present/reflect Miami's society, how it is currently and the activity at OCB headquarters 30 years later. Welcome to Miami 2019. Of course with three new heroes Billy and Rico Jr. and a new Trudy or Gina like character. The supporting cast would be much more included. But in the first season or maybe 2, it would be expected that Crockett and Tubbs at least guest star, to catch up with the old characters and at the same time introducing the new ones. Where Crockett could be an advisor for his son with the different issues, he encounters at work. And likewise Tubbs would find out, he has a son and be involved in that away. Devoloping some of those stories, that weren't a closed chapter on the original show, that needed closure/follow up. Hence thinking of the fans. And would be fun, if Crockett and his son drew past and old location, where Crockett parks and reminiscens of an old bust with Tubbs and they actually show, that clip. Where he tells his son about it. A little nostalgia doesn't hurt. ;) One of PMT's sons could play the character of Rico Jr. would be cool. And EJO's son Bodie  (I believe it was) or daughter could be a part of the squad as well. Perhaps bring back one old memorable villain. Or girlfriend by Tubbs. Show current undercover operations like you see in real life. Make it authentic and realistic. And one important thing, these police officers wouldn't be undercover and at the same time making busts. :) The show shouldn't be a bad parody/old copy of it self, but definitely bring something new and refreshing in the same city although changed. Not just imitate the old stuff, of course. 

Edited by summer84

Like I keep saying... DJ could play Crockett in a couple of episodes...  living on a house boat in the 'keys, enjoying retirement, and still offering fishing tours, and giving indispensable advice to his son Billy who's a senior detective at the present day OCB. :thumbsup:

And I'm especially sure you could do a lot with a character of Rico Jr., after all, he would be both a vice cop and the grandson of one of the biggest South Florida druglords of the 80s. You could show him constantly torn between those two worlds, and always having to prove himself as being on the right side of the law. Very Michael Mann-like. Maybe Angelina had another lost half brother, whose sons now control the drug trade in Miami as "the Calderones". And Rico Jr. has to bring down his own cousins. A little bit like the Robert Cann/Cannata story in "Buddies". Maybe Rico Jr. was even raised by his half uncle, and then spent a lifetime running from his family because he didn't want to be a part of their life of crime. And then things come to a head in a final showdown.

There are dozens of great new stories you could tell. If you just get it right.

7 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Like I keep saying... DJ could play Crockett in a couple of episodes...  living on a house boat in the 'keys, enjoying retirement, and still offering fishing tours, and giving indispensable advice to his son Billy who's a senior detective at the present day OCB. :thumbsup:

And I'm especially sure you could do a lot with a character of Rico Jr., after all, he would be both a vice cop and the grandson of one of the biggest South Florida druglords of the 80s. You could show him constantly torn between those two worlds, and always having to prove himself as being on the right side of the law. Very Michael Mann-like. Maybe Angelina had another lost half brother, whose sons now control the drug trade in Miami as "the Calderones". And Rico Jr. has to bring down his own cousins. A little bit like the Robert Cann/Cannata story in "Buddies". Maybe Rico Jr. was even raised by his half uncle, and then spent a lifetime running from his family because he didn't want to be a part of their life of crime. And then things come to a head in a final showdown.

There are dozens of great new stories you could tell. If you just get it right.

That is insanely good right there. I like that, I wanna see that. I even wanna see Rico sometimes step in every now and then to help or something lol

And maybe Rico jr. was brought up as Ricardo Calderone, and the Calderones told him if he ever got in touch with his real dad, they would kill the both of them. But then when Rico turned 18, he ran away to New York to get in touch with Rico sr. after all, who inspired him to go into law enforcement. He changed his last name to Tubbs and ended up joining the DEA. In the early episodes of the new series, due to his intimate knowledge of the Calderone family clan, Rico jr. is sent to Miami to take down the Calderone empire for good, which has become increasingly violent in attempting to eliminate competition and achieve a monopoly in South Florida's drug import trade. A bit like in Calderone's Return. But taking after his dad, Rico jr. violates DEA procedure, they fire him, and he decides to transfer to the OCB after having made friends with Billy Crockett during the Calderone investigation.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

Well...it has not been canned. I just read an online entertainment article that just came out, and as of yesterday it was announced the new MV show is being produced & made, and Vin Diesel is making it. No actual date or cast list has been announced...but it’s supposedly scheduled to premiere for the 2018-19 season...which is this upcoming one. So, I guess we’ll find out. Why do I have this gut feeling I’m going to hate it? :( Here’s a link to the article:

https://www.southernthing.com/miami-vice-reportedly-headed-back-to-tv-and-we-have-our-pastel-jackets-ready-2594256993.amp.html

P.S. And why is half the text smaller than the other half? 

Edited by ViceFanMan

That article says nothing completely new and is only based on old news that are already known or are just an assumption.

When a project doesn't have its own IMDb page yet, then that is a good indication that things haven't come very far. And if they haven't even announced who will play which roles, that should also mean that they're still ways away from even filming any episodes.

Imaginary dialoge between Michael Mann and Vin Diesel:

- Michael Mann: "My Miami Vice movie really didn't do as well as I had hoped"

- Vin Diesel: "Hold my beer!"

Edited by Daytona74

On 8/10/2018 at 5:32 AM, Daytona74 said:

That article says nothing completely new and is only based on old news that are already known or are just an assumption.

When a project doesn't have its own IMDb page yet, then that is a good indication that things haven't come very far. And if they haven't even announced who will play which roles, that should also mean that they're still ways away from even filming any episodes.

Imaginary dialoge between Michael Mann and Vin Diesel:

- Michael Mann: "My Miami Vice movie really didn't do as well as I had hoped"

- Vin Diesel: "Hold my beer!"

I only posted a new article that I saw on Friday...it may be re-stating old news?? It had been so long since we’d heard anything about it, that when I saw this new one I figured maybe there was still something to it.

Personally I could care less about it, and prefer it not be done—unless it would be about say the now-grown children of Crockett and Tubbs, and they themselves (along with other original cast) would make periodic appearances, or even star along with the “kids”....sort of like the Dallas revival a few years ago.

But that’s not going to happen. I haven’t bothered to check IMDB, or other info sites, as I don’t really care. Just saw this newly posted article, so thought I’d post it here. 

I know I keep repeating myself, and I know I’m not with the vast majority of people here, which also happens to me in real life lol
but that’s what I think. It’s not gonna be Miami Vice at all, whatever they do.

Actors not being the same, and think about the music, the vibe, the colors, not even Miami is the same city anymore. A whole different world, actually. Would you shot a James Bond movie in a western setting? Or Middle Age?

But Bond is so strong as a character that no matter who’s leading his role. While Sonny, Rico, Castillo are tied to their respective actors. There’s no Castillo without EJO, and the same for the others. And there’s no MV soundtrack without Jan Hammer.

Call me radical, but I think Mann had the only chance and he wasted it.

Lastly, the original show was visionary and it was produced damn well, with a maniacal attention to tons of details that a guy like Diesel just can’t handle. Like it or not, time has only one direction, and everything on Earth has a birth, a life and a death. We get old, times change, mankind changes, That's it.

So it will be “Vicexploitation” at the most.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 11:48 AM, Daytona74 said:

Just found this...

Don Johnson's thoughts on what Sonny Crockett would be like today. :thumbsup:

Let's hope he will be part of the new series. You can just picture Crockett living on a house boat in the Keys, probably still offering fishing tours for tourists, and dispensing his invaluable advice to today's OCB personnel.

That's exactly how I always pictured him!!!

1 hour ago, king77 said:

With an 86 White TR under a car cover in the garage :)

that BADLY needs a maintenance service because he can’t afford it :) 

...unless Tommy gives him one for free in the dark on a bet. :p

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:53 AM, Jerry B. said:

I know I keep repeating myself, and I know I’m not with the vast majority of people here, which also happens to me in real life lol

I have to concur.  This may as well be a totally new/different show that happens to be about vice.  I doubt it will have much to do with the original, I hope!  :(

On 8/13/2018 at 5:53 AM, Jerry B. said:

Actors not being the same, and think about the music, the vibe, the colors, not even Miami is the same city anymore. A whole different world, actually. Would you shot a James Bond movie in a western setting? Or Middle Age?

But Bond is so strong as a character that no matter who’s leading his role. While Sonny, Rico, Castillo are tied to their respective actors. There’s no Castillo without EJO, and the same for the others. And there’s no MV soundtrack without Jan Hammer.

Call me radical, but I think Mann had the only chance and he wasted it.

Lastly, the original show was visionary and it was produced damn well, with a maniacal attention to tons of details that a guy like Diesel just can’t handle. Like it or not, time has only one direction, and everything on Earth has a birth, a life and a death. We get old, times change, mankind changes, That's it.

So it will be “Vicexploitation” at the most.

This!  This! This!

And one more time, THIS!

Even if Vin Diesel went full throwback and got the original actors to reprise their roles and Jan Hammer to do the music, there is too much time and life passed for it to be what we would really want it to be.  

“The vibe, the colors, not even Miami is the same city anymore.”   This is the real truth.  The 80’s were a unique period and place in history that cannot be replicated.  

I want it to be successful, and I want it to re-ignite the love for the original show and actors and that particular decade in people who have forgotten it/them.

And I really hope that maybe, on the far outside chance, it might turn out to be a fun, solid cop show set in Miami.

But it won’t be, it can’t be...  Miami Vice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vor 59 Minuten schrieb Marco Falcone:

Even if Vin Diesel went full throwback and got the original actors to reprise their roles and Jan Hammer to do the music, there is too much time and life passed for it to be what we would really want it to be. 

Like I have been saying, my real worry is that no matter what kind of effort Vin Diesel will put up to make it a success, he will very probably not see the things in the original Miami Vice that made it such a success and that would have to be drawn on to transform the franchise into a successful present-day entity. With him, we'll very likely get one-hour bonanzas of car chases, explosions, improbable stunts, some throwaway glamor shots of South Beach, and paper thin dialogue. There will be no neo-Noir, there will be no back stories like that of Castillo or even Crockett. There will be no Jan Hammer, or anybody like him. It's just going to be disposable popcorn television that you will have forgotten the next day.

Hard to say who would be a good show runner today. Michael Mann dropped the ball on his own remake with the movie. You'd need somebody with a proven track record of producing great looking thinking man's television. I'm just not sure who that could be. Vin Diesel himself is so far away from that, he's practically in a parallel universe.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

It's all going to boil down to the writers. If they get quality writing, the show could be interesting. If they get 'splosions and 'pew 'pew, and jiggly boobs on the beach then it will suck. Vice wasn't just the style and music; the writing was often times above average during the first few years and the characters of Crockett and Tubbs were well drawn. Give me good stories, interesting characters, then throw in music and set it in South Florida and you could be on to something. If they set out just to copy what Miami Vice was then it will fail. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 8/29/2018 at 2:42 AM, king77 said:

With an 86 White TR under a car cover in the garage :)

Kept his "stolen Ferrari" after all these years. :) 

1: If there is no Jan Hammer, it's not Miami Vice (sorry for Tim Truman's fans).

2: It can't be in the 80's. Impossible to recreate. The action should be contemporary.

3: Nobody else should play the main characters. They should play themselves, now, be guest stars or still main characters who evolved in their lives and jobs. 

4: Original young characters should be the center of the story now. Billy Crockett (Hire Jesse Johnson) or Rico Jr. Or a baby from Sonny's many love stories. Why not Rico and Valerie's daughter? 

5: They shouldn't do it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I’ll take 5 :p

there are lots of truly creative ideas and interesting suggestions in this thread, surely conceived in a heartfelt attempt to preserve the legacy, however I second Dadrian's choice above and continue to stick to my previous sentiment nevertheless:

CREEPS!

• Like 1

I also think that they shouldn't do it. My suggestions are more to avoid a sabotage like they did with the movie, if they really want to do it. I still can't believe Michael Mann did that to his own baby.

And who knows, Vin Diesel may take a look at the forum to pick some ideas...

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Caroline Crockett said:

And who knows, Vin Diesel may take a look at the forum to pick some ideas...

I wouldn't be surprised if Vin has come across this forum at least once during his research. We get 200 clicks from search engines daily. 

3 hours ago, James said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Vin has come across this forum at least once during his research. We get 200 clicks from search engines daily. 

It’s sure possible - and this is the most concise detailed resource for Miami Vice anywhere.:hippie::cheers:

• Like 2