Miami Vice reboot happening for real now?

Daytona74

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

Somehow this angers me more than the Magnum reboot did.

Magnum was never really awarded decade "icon" status in the same way Vice was. I tend to dislike reboots in general UNLESS they're done as a continuation of some kind, but it's next to impossible to reboot a show that was popularly considered to represent an entire decade. The same goes for shows that made it based on character charisma or things like that. Better, in my view, to just leave them alone. They can just churn out another "lawyer" or "hospital" show, or one of Dick Wolf's totally forgettable genre pieces (his whole Chicago franchise is in my view a waste of footage).

• Like 1

That is true, Magnum, whilst I think it remained more successful than Vice because of consistency for so many years, isnt remembered the same way Miami Vice is even today for sure. And I agree, churning out reboots of anything is pretty pathetic and goes to show that Hollywood may be rich in money, but bankrupt in creativity.

• Administrators

Sort of agree with what Robbie C. said. It most likely just won't work. Or be Dick Wolf Law & Order Miami. 

Reboots are better than remakes. Hopefully for their sake of going longer than 1 season that it's a continuation reboot. You can't replicate Sonny and Rico, Michael Mann himself learnt this in 2006. The only way the show would succeed if it's a new/different Miami Vice. Pay some homages to the original, but don't try to be the original. Be unique, something new that hasn't  been done before. 

But I do have a gut feeling it's just gonna be forgettable generic crap, like all the other reboots. I don't see people watching them in 30 years from now. However with a continuation, something fans can enjoy and go from season 5 to the new one during a binge. That could work.

In a perfect world...

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:58 AM, Matt5 said:

Yes I saw the Miami Heat- NBC Trailer saying Miami Vice 2020.

Wow....I was really hoping this wouldn't happen.  The movie was bad enough ;(  

Seeing that confirmation for 2020 broke my heart as well. Last I heard any updates on it was sometime in August of 2017 but apparently they didn't can it. 

Well time to pack up boys, it's gonna be some awful fast and furious attempt to be the original and smear its legacy for sure. Rip.

Because you know, when Michael Mann himself couldn't replicate it in 2006, we all know Vin Diesel can save it right?...

Edited by Assasinge

On 9/15/2019 at 8:42 AM, Assasinge said:

Somehow this angers me more than the Magnum reboot did.

As a big 80's Magnum fan, I watch the reboot solely for Higgins.  She's worth it.  :)

When I was a kid, my mom bought me a Detroit Tigers hat because I used to like to pretend I was Magnum.  I also had a VM02 Da Nang hat.

• Like 1

I too, am grateful they have kept the new Higgins as an elderly battle worn man who tells sordid tales of his days in MI6 and bores Magnum and co. to death like he always did and fine upkeeps his fine English posture and language.

• Administrators
On 9/18/2019 at 1:25 AM, IA-SteveB said:

As a big 80's Magnum fan, I watch the reboot solely for Higgins.  She's worth it.  :)

When I was a kid, my mom bought me a Detroit Tigers hat because I used to like to pretend I was Magnum.  I also had a VM02 Da Nang hat.

I agree with you there. She has a nice set of legs. :) 

They should replace Jay Hernandez with David Harbour to play Magnum. Then it would be perfect.

rs_1024x759-190709153016-1024x759.strang

That's the type of macho looking man that should be a Thomas Magnum. =)

• Haha 1

Even if David Harbour would be a much better and more sympathetic choice....I don't think anyone could ever replace Tom Selleck as Magnum. Same as Colin Farrell (even though he did a decent job) or anyone else can't replace DJ as Sonny Crockett. Selleck is Magnum. DJ is Crockett. Savalas is Kojak. Garner is Rockford. Lord is McGarrett. Majors is Seavers. Shatner is Kirk. Don't piss on historical monuments of TV culture. Just don't. It's a no-no.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 5

vor 1 Stunde schrieb daytona365:

Selleck is Magnum. DJ is Crockett. Savalas is Kojak. Garner is Rockford. Lord is McGarrett. Majors is Seavers. Shatner is Kirk. Don't piss on historical monuments of TV culture. Just don't. It's a no-no.

I agree fully with you. As I read this, I suddenly remembered that there was also a reboot planned of Rockford Files. Even a pilot was made, which was never aired and the project was cancelled. Thankfully! But Vince Vaughn still wants to make a movie...

Was there ever a good reboot of a TV series?

Edited by NoDayWithoutVice

5 minutes ago, NoDayWithoutVice said:

Was there ever a good reboot of a TV series?

A hate the thought of a MV reboot. I'd just be comparing and wishing the original cast was there. There were a few reboots that met with mild success. One Day at a Time comes to mind. Will and Grace also, but I think they had the original cast. 

Edited by mjcmmv

1 hour ago, daytona365 said:

Same as Colin Farrell (even though he did a decent job) or anyone else can't replace DJ as Sonny Crockett.

I absolutely loved the 2006 movie, including Colin Farrell's alcohol-induced performance which made him unhinged. I own all versions and watch it at least twice a year. However, it had nothing to do with "Miami Vice." Jamie Foxx couldn't replace Philip Michael Thomas in his wildest dreams. Gina, Trudy, Switek, and Zito were fantastic... but they weren't Gina, Trudy, Switek, and Zito. It's like whenever an actor tries to play Elvis (the singer, not the reptile :)) in a movie. It never works, not once, not ever. The movie should have been titled something else with different names for the characters.

• Like 1

Hah, interesting. I had a discussion with my video production teacher a few days back about the movie and we both hate it, partially as filmmakers the technical aspects were abysmal by even Mann's standards and as Vice fans we just hated the fact that it was called MV to begin with.

I'd rather drag my face across sandpaper than have to see that abomination again.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

I had a discussion with my video production teacher a few days back about the movie and we both hate it, partially as filmmakers the technical aspects were abysmal by even Mann's standards

I agree about the abysmal production standards. Not to mention the script is a complete mess. I just get lost in it whenever it's on.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Titus said:

I absolutely loved the 2006 movie, including Colin Farrell's alcohol-induced performance which made him unhinged. I own all versions and watch it at least twice a year. However, it had nothing to do with "Miami Vice." Jamie Foxx couldn't replace Philip Michael Thomas in his wildest dreams. Gina, Trudy, Switek, and Zito were fantastic... but they weren't Gina, Trudy, Switek, and Zito. It's like whenever an actor tries to play Elvis (the singer, not the reptile :)) in a movie. It never works, not once, not ever. The movie should have been titled something else with different names for the characters.

Dont forget the logo....from art deco to that crap...

• Like 1

Isnt on that rollling stone interview where don johnson says he would be interested about a paid version of vice? Well, i bet he moved to nash bridges revival since he cant give the shots at universal..

Edited by Mr. Calderon

11 hours ago, Titus said:

I agree about the abysmal production standards. Not to mention the script is a complete mess. I just get lost in it whenever it's on.

And he wrote it. Maybe we should be glad Mann didn't write anything major on the series...

• Like 2

Well the thing is, it's that Mann tried to take the success with Heat or Collateral even for that instance and apply it to Miami Fake and thought cookie cutter pasting the formula was bring in the same results. So, you know.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Hah, interesting. I had a discussion with my video production teacher a few days back about the movie and we both hate it, partially as filmmakers the technical aspects were abysmal by even Mann's standards and as Vice fans we just hated the fact that it was called MV to begin with.

I'd rather drag my face across sandpaper than have to see that abomination again.

Could not agree more...the 2006 movie was horrible, an unbelievable disappointment, and a disgrace to the MV franchise!! :thumbsdown: The filming was so bad & was out of focus and “grainy”...gave several people in the theater I was in, a headache halfway through. :eek: The plot, the actors (for this movie...not necessarily in other projects they’ve been in) were terrible choices, the characters were written terribly, the locations were stupid (since the majority of the movie didn’t even take place in Miami), and the whole thing sucked...and sometimes was even boring! :evil: Definitely an abomination, and Ill never watch it again—so I’ll never have to worry about sand paper on the face, lol! :)

3 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

And he wrote it. Maybe we should be glad Mann didn't write anything major on the series...

Interesting...this could very well be true! :baby: I think Mann could definitely create & produce...but maybe the writing itself wasn’t his strong point. ;)

• Like 1

I didn't even finish the movie, started watching it, 12 minutes in and I put on an episode of Vice instead. Had to throw water in my face and rinse for a while after seeing the atrocity that was the "movie". Movie, hah. Good one Mann, good one.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

I didn't even finish the movie, started watching it, 12 minutes in and I put on an episode of Vice instead. Had to throw water in my face and rinse for a while after seeing the atrocity that was the "movie". Movie, hah. Good one Mann, good one.

The problem I have with the movie in general is the casting. Leonardo Di Caprio and Terrence Howard would have been so much better than Farrell & Fox.

Apparently Don Johnson recommended Farrell to Mann. It was a mistake.

Edited by RedDragon86

16 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

And he wrote it. Maybe we should be glad Mann didn't write anything major on the series...

He also wrote Heat and Thief, two of the greatest crime films of all time. Thing is 35 years ago he was in his prime and his writing in his movies were top notch, so he was more than capable of writing episodes, just didn't want to. As the years went by his ability dipped, and that's natural with all great directors.

Edited by RedDragon86