Miami Vice reboot happening for real now?

Daytona74

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Hey guys, friendly reminder that in 2013, it was reported a Remington Steele reboot was in the works.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/nbc-is-rebooting-remington-steele-as-a-comedy.html

It died.

Due to how long it's been since we've heard anything, I think it's safe to say that Miami Vice reboot suffered the same fate and has died too.

Thank God. :dance:

• Like 3

On 7/20/2018 at 11:07 PM, Ferrariman said:

Hey Mr. C!  Good to hear from you. I don't know what plans they have for this reboot but it should be interesting!

Same from you, pal...i hope everything is all right with you :)  Love this .org coup icon lol

On 7/21/2018 at 12:54 PM, ViceFanMan said:

They’ve been talking about a Magnum reboot for couple years...I didn’t know it was actually in production, but I guess it is premiering this fall. We’ll see...I had serious doubts about the 5-0 reboot back in ‘10, but I ultimately have really liked the new 5-0! So, I guess I’ll give the new Magnum a chance...same with an MV reboot if it ends up happening. But there’s a reason the originals are just that—and became instant TV icons. It’s almost impossible to re-create that kind of impact. Except for 5-0, all other past TV show reboots have failed: Bionic Woman, Knight Rider, Charlie’s Angels, etc...

I watched a trailler or anything like that, about the new Magnum. Well...the new magnum in my humble opinion has no physique du role for the job. This is what scare me in a Vice reboot. By the way, Colin Farrel has no physique du role to be Crockett. Maybe for a door role. Jammie Foxx wasnt good as Tubbs too.

Edited by Mr. Calderon
  • Like 1

• Administrators

They can't even play the "next generation" card with Magnum because how can Thomas Magnum have a Mexican son...

Why is a Mexican named Magnum anyway... Should be Magnumez or some shit. And he looks un-manly. 

They should've hired a Magnum who looks manly, built, and has chest hair and possibly a moustache but maybe not seeing how it's the 21st century. Magnum should be making the girls wet with his macho looks and charm. Hernandez doesn't have any of these features.

8 hours ago, James said:

Why is a Mexican named Magnum anyway... Should be Magnumez or some shit. And he looks un-manly. 

Oh that made my morning...

LMAO

• Haha 1

I've watched a few of the all time best episodes lately, including The Home Invaders, No Exit, and Bushido.

On a good day, Michael Mann is and was an absolute genius when it comes to understanding a character's psychology, what drives them, and how they see the world. What they live for and what their struggle is.

Vin Diesel has never made a film where that entire layer was believably examined, besides some throwaway heart strings scenes for good measure in between stunts. He is a popcorn action flick director, and not somebody who has any interest in the finer points. And that's what worries me. He will probably end up taking all the gratuitous fluff that Miami Vice was criticized for back in the day and create his reboot based on that, with paper thin storylines thrown in so it's not all just a one-hour stunt show. And that's why the reboot will be a disappointment for anybody who expects to see more than just a Fast&Furious:Miami.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 9:37 PM, summer84 said:

This is one of the latest articles from May 2018, where DJ gets asked about the Nash Bridges and Miami Vice reboot. https://torontosun.com/entertainment/television/don-johnson-sounds-off-on-miami-vice-and-nash-bridges-reboots

"In the works" doesn't necessarily mean the project has been greenlit, that's at least what I've read. But with all of these TV shows getting revived, it wouldn't make sense that MV didn't get that treatment as well. I mean shows older than Vice have gotten a reboot or remake. 

It feels Vice is always behind, that everything goes much slower when it comes to releases, reboot and reunions. 

I'm not for the reboot, but if it's going to be made than I can't help to not be curious about how a modern version will be like. :) 

I posted this a few threads back. Whether it becomes a reality is yet to be seen. It was supposed to be scheduled for the 2018/19 year. Maybe we'll hear something new by the end of the year. 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

And that's why the reboot will be a disappointment for anybody who expects to see more than just a Fast&Furious:Miami.

I do love 2 Fast 2 Furious, but Vin Diesel didn't have anything to do with that, so... :) 

• Haha 1

I dunno...after the vice movie...Michael Mann deserves much less than he used to get. At same time...i think Universal NEVER accepted the crappy results for that crappy flick and still thinks Miami Vice can make money.

On 8/6/2018 at 12:57 AM, Assasinge said:

Good chance this reboot has been canned to be honest. We haven't heard squat since last August lmao

No it hasnt been canned its still in development.

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

No it hasnt been canned its still in development.

Well that's what we thought about Remington Steele too. But nothing came of it. Doesn't mean this is the case but that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

Didn't they originally want episodes ready to broadcast for the 2018/2019 TV season?

And yet, nobody has heard of any filming going on...

49 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

Didn't they originally want episodes ready to broadcast for the 2018/2019 TV season?

Yes it was scheduled for the 2018/2019 year and Vin Diesel had been in Miami doing research for the show. Weird that the clip it's not up now on YT. DJ got asked this May about the reboot, said he had heard something about it going on at Universal. 

Edited by summer84

I didn't know this is still in the works. I only heard about it in August and have read/saw nothing about it since. Do you have that clip of DJ talking about it summer? Does anyone have anything at all actually? lol

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Never heard of any casting either. They definitely would've had to have gotten actors by now, they should be filming the pilot right now if they want to make the schedule. 

--

Transcriptions of an interview of DJ talking about reboots. I can't seem to be able to find the video either, must've gotten removed from YouTube.

https://torontosun.com/entertainment/television/don-johnson-sounds-off-on-miami-vice-and-nash-bridges-reboots

5 hours ago, Assasinge said:

I didn't know this is still in the works. I only heard about it in August and have read/saw nothing about it since. Do you have that clip of DJ talking about it summer? Does anyone have anything at all actually? lol

I reposted the article regarding DJ being asked about the reboots on this page, 10 posts up. But here it is again. There were no video to this, that I know of. There used to be a clip on YouTube of Vin Diesel with some woman in Miami doing research for the show. 

https://torontosun.com/entertainment/television/don-johnson-sounds-off-on-miami-vice-and-nash-bridges-reboots

vor 2 Stunden schrieb summer84:

from the article:

Zitat

I hear there’s something going on with it at Universal, with Vin Diesel, and Vin is a great guy. Like I said, they’ll do a version of it, but it won’t be Miami Vice.

It kind of sounds like the "Hollywood nice" way of saying that he thinks it's going to be a trainwreck... ;)

Edited by Daytona74

39 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

from the article:

It kind of sounds like the "Hollywood nice" way of saying that he thinks it's going to be a trainwreck... ;)

Haha. Yeah maybe something like that. What most of us probably fear/expect. I have very low expectations about the reboot becoming a succes. I guess, I have thought, that maybe it could become interesting, if they created really good strong stories, mixing in something old with new, great chemistry between actors, continuing on relevant issues/headline stories in Miami currently and also one of the most important things to give what the fans are asking for. As I watched another reboot of a TV series made 9 years, after the original series ended and it was made on Netflix with the shows creator on board, all of the original cast, surroundings, but the shows creator Amy was criticized by the fans for ruining their beloved and known character making her something that the even the actress couldn't recognize and of creating stories for herself, how she wanted it to be and not in the interest of the fans. 

2 hours ago, summer84 said:

Haha. Yeah maybe something like that. What most of us probably fear/expect. I have very low expectations about the reboot becoming a succes. I guess, I have thought, that maybe it could become interesting, if they created really good strong stories, mixing in something old with new, great chemistry between actors, continuing on relevant issues/headline stories in Miami currently and also one of the most important things to give what the fans are asking for. As I watched another reboot of a TV series made 9 years, after the original series ended and it was made on Netflix with the shows creator on board, all of the original cast, surroundings, but the shows creator Amy was criticized by the fans for ruining their beloved and known character making her something that the even the actress couldn't recognize and of creating stories for herself, how she wanted it to be and not in the interest of the fans. 

Great points Summer.:hippie:

• Thanks 1

In response to what summer84 said, I think they already went a bit off course with the way they redrew the characters for the Miami Vice movie. Granted, if you've got different actors playing the roles, and 20 years later no less, they will always bring out something different in the character that the original actor of an original series will not have put into the role originally. But for example, Jamie Foxx kind of played Tubbs more like a Will-Smith-with-attitude kind of guy, and not like the sleek big city guy that PMT was as Tubbs. And did we really need Tubbs flying an airplane?

I actually half liked Colin Ferrell as Crockett, but he was still different. No match for DJ's seasoned, suave, streetwise Crockett.

It would really, really be better to leave the old characters the way they were, and do something like "Miami Vice: The Next Generation". Create characters who are the kids of Crockett, Tubbs, and maybe even Castillo. Why not.

Don Johnson is right in saying that it will never be (the original) Miami Vice, but I kind of think you'd have a fair shot at something equally compelling if you play it right, and that means not trying to deliver a reimagining of the original series, but to really get the franchise into the present and show vice cops dealing with crime in Miami as it actually is nowadays. And not with Sonny and Rico, but with Billy and Rico jr.  as lead characters. If you know what I mean.

But of course still with all the fast cars and boats, the fashion and the music... :)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2