Miami Vice reboot happening for real now?

Daytona74

47 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

The problem I have with the movie in general is the casting. Leonardo Di Caprio and Terrence Howard would have been so much better than Farrell & Fox.

Apparently Don Johnson recommended Farrell to Mann. It was a mistake.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Maybe he was more interested in the visuals of Vice and not its content. Compare his approach to it with Crime Story, which I believe he was much more involved with. I always thought his main goal with Vice was visual and production. Writing? Not so much. Which could explain some of the shifts in later seasons. And Leo as Crockett? Billy, maybe, but not Sonny. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Apparently Don Johnson recommended Farrell to Mann. It was a mistake.

Really? I heard Farrell approached DJ for advice on playing the roll and DJ turned him down flat. He said something like, "You'll never pull it off." Could be a rumor, but it wouldn't surprise me. DJ thought it was his part and his part only. He wasn't about to give away the "keys to the kingdom". 

Edited by mjcmmv

19 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

Really? I heard Farrell approached DJ for advice on playing the roll and DJ turned him down flat. He said something like, "You'll never pull it off." Could be a rumor, but it wouldn't surprise me. DJ thought it was his part and his part only. He wasn't about to give away the "keys to the kingdom". 

I got this from IMDB - "When the film version was still being developed by Michael Mann, Don Johnson was asked who he would pick to play Sonny Crockett. Johnson suggested Colin Farrell"

there's a story that Farrell tried to contact him and Don wouldn't call him back and that later Jamie Foxx ran into Don somewhere and Don told him to tell Farrell to 'send his jock strap back' . i read that way back when the movie came out.

who knows if it's true

Edited by AzVice

14 minutes ago, AzVice said:

there's a story that Farrell tried to contact him and Don wouldn't call him back and that later Jamie Foxx ran into Don somewhere and Don told him to tell Farrell to 'send his jock strap back' . i read that way back when the movie came out.

who knows if it's true

This must be true because I remember Colin Farrell getting interview after the movie and made and he made a reference about this.

I got this from IMDB - "When the film version was still being developed by Michael Mann, Don Johnson was asked who he would pick to play Sonny Crockett. Johnson suggested Colin Farrell"

Okay. It sounds like I read a rumor. Thanks! 

I did find the article I read about DJ snubbing Farrell. It doesn't make DJ look good, for sure. 

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/don-johnson-shuns-farrell-270471.html

I think I like your version of the story a lot better! :(

Edited by mjcmmv

The same thing, more or less, happened with the Wild, Wild West movie, too. Except Robert Conrad wasn't at all shy about his dislike of the project. Given the outcome I can't say I blame him. If anything it was worse than the Vice atrocity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

The same thing, more or less, happened with the Wild, Wild West movie, too. Except Robert Conrad wasn't at all shy about his dislike of the project. Given the outcome I can't say I blame him. If anything it was worse than the Vice atrocity.

Glad I missed that one. I loved the original Wild Wild West!

Just now, mjcmmv said:

Glad I missed that one. I loved the original Wild Wild West!

As did I. It's the only other show I've even bothered with story ideas for. The chemistry between Jim and Artie was spectacular.

• Like 1

Well DJ ain't exactly known to be the most noble saint in history, to say the least. I mean, I guess if I was him and became a star as big as him because of Vice, my head might be a lil' in the clouds too.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Assasinge said:

Well DJ ain't exactly known to be the most noble saint in history, to say the least. I mean, I guess if I was him and became a star as big as him because of Vice, my head might be a lil' in the clouds too.

Oh, he admits he was arrogant back then! Didn't make him popular in the industry and it didn't help his career, either. 

1 hour ago, Assasinge said:

1 hour ago, mjcmmv said:

Oh, he admits he was arrogant back then! Didn't make him popular in the industry and it didn't help his career, either. 

Yeah, I think he had had several failed pilots for TV shows prior...so when MV instantly catapulted to icon status & made instant “stars” out of him and Philip Michael Thomas, I’m sure the ego flared up some. ;)  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, I think he had had several failed pilots for TV shows prior...so when MV instantly catapulted to icon status & made instant “stars” out of him and Philip Michael Thomas, I’m sure the ego flared up some. ;)  

Well I think PMT largely remained a good dude during and after the tenure of the show as far as I can tell, I mean I'm pretty sure Crockett's bully like attitude was reflective of him in real life or something lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

As did I. It's the only other show I've even bothered with story ideas for. The chemistry between Jim and Artie was spectacular.

Agreed. One of my favorites. The actors were perfect for the roles. 

47 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

Well I think PMT largely remained a good dude during and after the tenure of the show as far as I can tell, I mean I'm pretty sure Crockett's bully like attitude was reflective of him in real life or something lol

As far as I know I never really heard of PMT being cocky or arrogant (although they all could have been at some point)...I just meant the show itself made instant stars out of both of them at the time, and it seemed as if DJ’s ego was the one that got a little bigger than the others. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

As far as I know I never really heard of PMT being cocky or arrogant (although they all could have been at some point)...I just meant the show itself made instant stars out of both of them at the time, and it seemed as if DJ’s ego was the one that got a little bigger than the others. 

I don't think there's a 'seemed' about it, actually. And it hurt both the long-term viability of the show and his career afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Right, I was sort of making a point off of that in that, we know DJ's ego also blew up with the show and there have been instances of him being a less than stellar human, but none I can think of that have been documented of PMT. Though like you say he could have been too but, we'll probably never know then if he was.