Miami Vice review series by Morgan Richter

Rattlehead

• 2 weeks later...

Once again she makes good points about Mann and Wolf here. But I think that stopping short of the ending that we got would be robbing us of the full repercussions of this case and yet another contributing factor to Sonny's eventual burnout. Plus it would leave us without the titular line being spoken, which is something this episode seems built to get in. To stop the show right after Archie gets shot would rob us of Sonny's cathartic outburst, and to stop it after the outburst itself I feel would just be awkward. In short, I largely agree with what she says about Mann's presentation but not as it pertains to this episode. It will be interesting, however, to see how she handles Shadow In the Dark.

• Like 3

Totally disagree with her on all scenes after Archie‘s death being unnecessary because overexplaining. Maybe she did not watch the last two minutes properly. There are three key messages contained at the end that must not be dropped: 1) Crockett leaning on the wall, completely shattered by Archie‘s death while Switek and Peppin walking by smiling and whistling like nothing happened. Key message: the others can turn off when going off duty, Crockett cannot. This will be important later in the series. 2) Atkins‘ statement: „It was a good collar Crockett“ and „nobody in my unit wanted Walker more than Ramirez“ underlines that and gives the episode its name. Atkins feels a lot when Ramirez dies but even he accepts the collateral damage number two in this case for „the greater good“. 3) the football given back to Crockett who dumps it. Symbol as he gave it to Archie for a new start and to show himself that his work is not useless. When he dumps it, he is broken for the first time in the series as he dumps not just the ball but his own past. He had kept the ball for a long time.

cutting out these scenes would have diluted the message and removed the character build up that let to Crockett’s disenchantment later on. Part of good storytelling in VICE is to show the consequences not just the impact. 

• Like 5

Has anyone ever thought of this?:

When Crockett puts the flour on his face, that’s creepy enough alone, but the real significance is that no one except the viewer has seen the cat do this. So Crockett was, indeed, dialed into this guy. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Agree with Morgan, one of the best episodes, seems like it belongs in season 2.

But the S3 colors really help with the mood

If she had not talked that fast she would have recognized that Alan Moskowitz was not director of this episode (and Aaron Lipstadt not the writer) and that Pierson did not die of a heart attack at the end. He clearly caught a bullet.

:)

On 10/8/2019 at 11:57 AM, Dadrian said:

Has anyone ever thought of this?:

When Crockett puts the flour on his face, that’s creepy enough alone, but the real significance is that no one except the viewer has seen the cat do this. So Crockett was, indeed, dialed into this guy. 

The victims were always asleep, until the last break in! Good catch!  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Thanks, she is a real Vice fan and talented  I sent a link to her review of Little Miss Dangerous to Fiona and she loved it.

Wow, you did? That's great to hear Fiona's reaction! I'll bet Morgan loved that!

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 7:54 PM, Bren10 said:

In case anybody missed it, season 2 is being reviewed.

I consider this episode, the most mtvesque episode of all. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

I consider this episode, the most mtvesque episode of all. 

Even though it's filmed mostly in New York, I agree! Just as Morgan points out, great style, music, and terrific guest stars.

Also, for me, the helicopter take down is one of the best MV action scenes ever!

This episode's in my top five! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Even though it's filmed mostly in New York, I agree! Just as Morgan points out, great style, music, and terrific guest stars.

Also, for me, the helicopter take down is one of the best MV action scenes ever!

This episode's in my top five! 

It certainly is a superb episode - MV really featured NY brilliantly. 10/10

• Like 2

lol...you gonna kill me but i think this episode kinda boring....I usually sleep when they are on the swamp part ("what a mess") but it has some good moments ( "are you the legendary jimmy borges?, ""and my mother knows it")....but when i say about mtvesque...its simply about more about voyeuristic style than a story and a tight script.

to be honest, i dont like the season two a lot.

Edited by Mr. Calderon
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

lol...you gonna kill me but i think this episode kinda boring....I usually sleep when they are on the swamp part ("what a mess") but it has some good moments ( "are you the legendary jimmy borges?, ""and my mother knows it")....but when i say about mtvesque...its simply about more about voyeuristic style than a story and a tight script.

to be honest, i dont like the season two a lot.

Naw, I won't kill ya. As Gina would say, "I'll just hang ya up by your thumbs"! 

• Haha 2

I actually prefer season 2 to season 1. There are a handful of strong episodes in season 1, but they don't compare IMO to season 2. At least as far as the writing's concerned. The fashion stuff doesn't excite me.

• Like 2

I'd rather read than watch Youtube. And so I searched for a website of Morgan Richter - and found it:

http://preppiesoftheapocalypse.blogspot.com/2009/01/ten-things-that-make-miami-vice-awesome.html

On this site you can find written reviews of currently 15 episodes.  
And also a general text about Miami Vice. I enjoyed reading it a lot, some good points.

Edited by Glades
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Glades said:

I'd rather read than watch Youtube. And so I searched for a website of Morgan Richter - and found it:

http://preppiesoftheapocalypse.blogspot.com/2009/01/ten-things-that-make-miami-vice-awesome.html

On this page you can find written reviews of currently 15 episodes.  
And also a general text about Miami Vice. I enjoyed reading it a lot, some good points.

Great find! Thanks!! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Glades said:

On this site you can find written reviews of currently 15 episodes.  

That was a fun read.  Brought back great memories of watching Vice during its first run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bren10 said:

Well, Morgan summed that up accurately.

Awful, awful, awful!!!!! I would have given it one Flamingo, though, not two! 

• Like 1