Miami Vice review series by Morgan Richter

Rattlehead

I remember very little about this episode and don't believe I've seen it more than once.  Morgan Richter's review definitely gave me the feeling I should try it again, if only for the film-making.

I never really considered that their relationship not usually being joyous actually brought Caitlyn's character or the show down. I don't think I really share that opinion. To me, what we're seeing is their struggle to make it work, as Caitlyn states in that final scene (which I find pretty emotional btw-amazing how S4 could pull it out when it needed to, has there ever been a more bipolar season for a show anywhere?). A struggle that they were both in fact warned about before they were married. We had a storybook romance at first and now this is reality setting in. And no, the next episode will not be "good".

Edited by Bren10
  • Like 3

On 1/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, Bren10 said:

I never really considered that their relationship not usually being joyous actually brought Caitlyn's character or the show down. I don't think I really share that opinion. To me, what we're seeing is their struggle to make it work, as Caitlyn states in that final scene (which I find pretty emotional btw-amazing how S4 could pull it out when it needed to, has there ever been a more bipolar season for a show anywhere?). A struggle that they were both in fact warned about before they were married. We had a storybook romance at first and now this is reality setting in. And no, the next episode will not be "good".

I agree with you, Bren. Showing them trying to work through the difficulties made the relationship feel more real to me. And Caitlin had a lot of emotional pain in her background, which was kind of unusual for the women Sonny usually runs around with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are now, entertain us...

For me, this episode has gotten better and more devastating over time. And that's saying something because it made a big impression when it was first aired. There are various, severely emotional moments in this ep, not the least of which is Castillo handing back the transfer papers. That scene gets me every time now. The look he gives Sonny kills me. It's easy to miss for a casual fan, but us hardcores know how important that scene is. Moments like that, as well as others, are what made the show as good as it could be. I agree that things will never really be the same after this, more or less. This is one of the last times we truly see the "heart" of Miami Vice. In fairness there will be other moments in other eps but this is a huge one imo where it all hangs out.  I don't agree that Follow My Rainbow is the worst song ever on the show. There's a lot of other contenders for that. But that's not really the point anyway in this case.. The function of the song is not purely for entertainment value as applies to this story. I agree with her observations on the colors used. Say what you will about Wolf and co.but this is an incredibly well-constructed episode. I think your level of enjoyment may largely depend on whether you agree with the direction Crockett takes or not. That being said, I don't agree that killing an unarmed Hackman would have rendered Sonny irredeemable. We all know why he would've done that because we've all taken that journey up to this point and we understand it, if not condone it. It wasn't just for Caitlyn, but everything else too. Morgan says herself there are far worse things to come, even if Sonny isn't "Sonny".

Edited by Bren10
  • Like 4

Agree with her analysis and rating about Hostile Takeover.  One of the best episodes.  IMO people who put down seasons 4 and 5 have not paid enough attention to this ep. and others.  It doesn't hurt that Debra Feuer as Celeste is a beautiful woman.

• Like 1

The "Don't Give Up" montage is indeed great. I don't know if it's the best moment, but it's up there. Once again, your enjoyment of this may be determined by how much you "buy" the Burnett turn in the first place.

• Like 3

I have a soft spot for this ep being a fan of a lot of the type of stuff Joey Hardin was listening to. I think that part of this is about how one generation will always say their stuff was the best and better than what came after. Or that their generation "did it right". But if they actually take the time to listen to what younger generations have to offer, they could actually find something they like there too, or at least something of merit. Sonny basically concedes that in the final scene. I've had that experience myself with parents and relatives etc.

• Like 2

As good as Talbott is here, I have to wonder how comfortable he was with his character going down this road and how far in advance he knew there would be no real resolution by the end of the series. Does anybody have any info on that? Also, is Switek supposed to still be living in the same place as Made For Each Other?

Based on what I've seen from the script revision timelines I doubt he had much of an idea that they'd just leave Stan hanging. This is actually a plot line that should have happened during season 3, season 4 at the latest.

Given how loose they were with anything not directly related to Crockett (or watched over by EJO) I doubt if anyone bothered to check where Stan lived in season 1.

• Thanks 1

I think it was the same apartment, at least the exterior.  I always thought Talbot did a great job in this episode, and I agree that they should've showed some buildup or hints to his problem earlier on.  I thought the ending was touching, with Sonny embracing Stan.

• Like 1