Miami Vice review series by Morgan Richter

Rattlehead

4 hours ago, Tom said:

The Red tape review is based on a misunderstanding IMO. Tubbs‘ behavior is not bad continuity by the writers and yes, they did everything (well) to really make us believe that Tubbs has defected. He even had his new aggressive behavior with Switek alone in the office with nobody else around. He was not forced to maintain this charade at this point but it was safer and more credible within the force and to mislead the viewer.

In 30 years of watching this episode I never came onto the same negative conclusion or idea about the character development quality like she did here. But maybe she needs to take an „advocatus diaboli“ position on everything to spice up her reviews?

I think it's safe to say I've dug into these characters a bit, and I agree with Tom here. Tubbs was always established as passionate once he got fired up, as well as a bit hair trigger. I think someone just looked back to how Tubbs got to Miami in the first place and went from there. There was also the backstory with the other attacks on cops and things being tense before the episode even began. Vice always suffered from time compression, and this episode is no exception. I don't think it's as great as she does (but maybe that's because I prefer Lou Diamond Philips in "Young Guns"), but it certainly isn't a bad episode.

• Like 2

I have to disagree that this is as silly as Vice gets. That time is still coming, in spades.

Dennehy's performance keeps the ep somewhat grounded imo and keeps it from becoming a total farce. So does Tubbs' rape accusation. Other forthcoming bad eps will not have those assets.

• Like 1

She goes on to say the episode works because it is so loose and irreverent and gives it four flamingos.  I.O.W. good episode.  I agree.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

This is a big one, folks. She makes several good points and comes to some of the same conclusions I've discussed, including the link to the Orgel situation and the theme of inaction. I truly think this was one of the series' best.

Unfortunately one of the series' worst is next, starting the unholy trilogy of season 4.

Edited by Bren10
  • Like 3

Agree that Baby Blues and Better Living . . . were poor but I like The Big Thaw.   I'm a little surprised that Morgan is so negative about it since one thing she likes about Vice is that it's not a typical cop show.  This episode may be a little over the top but it's not typical of any type of show.  It's imaginative and entertaining.  It's kind of ahead of its time because cryogenic freezing is now becoming less futuristic.  I read that they have brought back small creatures after prolonged freezing so large mammals may be next.  Like many other episodes it was loosely inspired by local events.  Bob Marley had a house in South Dade, frequently performed in Miami, and died there in 1981.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:25 AM, miamijimf said:

Agree that Baby Blues and Better Living . . . were poor but I like The Big Thaw.   I'm a little surprised that Morgan is so negative about it since one thing she likes about Vice is that it's not a typical cop show.  This episode may be a little over the top but it's not typical of any type of show.  It's imaginative and entertaining.  It's kind of ahead of its time because cryogenic freezing is now becoming less futuristic.  I read that they have brought back small creatures after prolonged freezing so large mammals may be next.  Like many other episodes it was loosely inspired by local events.  Bob Marley had a house in South Dade, frequently performed in Miami, and died there in 1981.

Yes I was reading about Bob Marley recently Jim he had cancer very young went downhill quickly on a flight to the States.

• Sad 1

On 12/20/2019 at 11:39 PM, Bren10 said:

My sentiments exactly. Maybe she read my last post.

They tried to do another "Tale Of The Goat" and failed miserably.

• Like 1

If they wanted to address the issue of cryogenics they could've done it better than this. Why turn it into a comedy? This is basically a parody of the subject, much like the next bad offender Cows of October. There's actually wasted potential there with this approach which is emblematic of the problems with S4. If these subjects were treated with as much respect and gravitas as the episodes around them (Death & The Lady, Child's Play) then we could've had a good solid season imo. It's almost like the writers didn't trust the audience to take it seriously if it was presented that way, which is actually a little insulting as an audience member. I don't mind humor at all, but not at the expense of tone and story presentation. I'm not a fan of Made For Each Other but I understand it and that ep's vibe is appropriate for it but S4 goes off the rails too much here.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bren10 said:

If they wanted to address the issue of cryogenics they could've done it better than this. Why turn it into a comedy? This is basically a parody of the subject, much like the next bad offender Cows of October. There's actually wasted potential there with this approach which is emblematic of the problems with S4. If these subjects were treated with as much respect and gravitas as the episodes around them (Death & The Lady, Child's Play) then we could've had a good solid season imo. It's almost like the writers didn't trust the audience to take it seriously if it was presented that way, which is actually a little insulting as an audience member. I don't mind humor at all, but not at the expense of tone and story presentation. I'm not a fan of Made For Each Other but I understand it and that ep's vibe is appropriate for it but S4 goes off the rails too much here.

It could have been just a good as season 3 which was excellent. Its a shame that season 4 was inconsistent because there are some gems, namely Death & The Lady, Baseballs of Death, The Rising Sun of Death, Child's Play, Gods Work, Deliver Us From Evil, Mirror Image. Do you put the blame down to the producers experimenting too much instead of just keeping the stories sensible?

With the inconsistency of 4 is the reason why I think season 5 is probably better. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

It could have been just a good as season 3 which was excellent. Its a shame that season 4 was inconsistent because there are some gems, namely Death & The Lady, Baseballs of Death, The Rising Sun of Death, Child's Play, Gods Work, Deliver Us From Evil, Mirror Image. Do you put the blame down to the producers experimenting too much instead of just keeping the stories sensible?

With the inconsistency of 4 is the reason why I think season 5 is probably better. 

It's the producers flat out. People like to point at writers, but they're only writing what the producers want. If you look at the draft scripts throughout the series' run (not just the last two seasons) you see some real gems cut out and replaced with lesser bits. Vice lost a great deal of context and weight in that process.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I like this ep far more than she does. I admit it bothered me a liitle too to have the kid be a gang member instead of a regular kid, but like she said, the show handles this point pretty well even though it is a narrative out for Crockett. But once we have the "Somebody had to speak for that boy" scene, I think the problem is fixed. I think this is one of the best of S4 and is an integral episode of the series in regards to Crockett himself. She wisely gives it a 4. If it had been any lower I would have serious issues with her judgement considering what she's given a 3 to in the past. It will be interesting to see how she handles Like a Hurricane.

• Like 1

OK, everybody's favorite is here. I am a bit shocked at the list of eps she finds inferior to this one (Buddies?! What is she smoking? ?().

Edited by Bren10
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

OK, everybody's favorite is here. I am a bit shocked at the list of eps she finds inferior to this one (Buddies?! What is she smoking? ?().

Hey it's weird, not really entertaining but it's still Vice.  :wuerg:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1