Fan Fiction Readers' Guide

Robbie C.

Given the amount of fan fiction posted, I thought I’d try to help readers find what they might wish to read by breaking down my fiction. Others may add to this if they wish, of course.

My fiction breaks down into three distinct periods: Prequel, Series Timeline, and Post-Series (also called Task Force). The Task Force novels (yes, they’re novel-length) center on the OCB characters with some additions of my own and chart one possible path for the team in the changing world after the series. They’re posted here as multi-part stories (so read them in order unless you want to be confused…the links go to Part I in every case). I also include page counts for those who are interested in such things. It also gives you an idea of how long the novels are...something that's hard to gauge based on rough part divisions.

For the short stories that occupy the other periods, I’ll break them down by when the story takes place (including which season and in some cases which episodes it falls between for those in the Timeline), where it’s set, and who the main character is. It’s all listed in chronological order based on when the story’s set, even though they weren’t written in that order.

Observant folks might notice one short piece isn’t included here. I never really framed when Exploration took place, except that it would have been sometime late in Season 3 or early in Season 4. It’s not included because it’s more of an experiment than part of the main line of my fiction. But it does show one possible direction for Sonny…even if it’s not a good one. So you’ve been warned.

Prequel

Junior Year Overseas        UofF                   Sonny Crockett

Yesterday is Tomorrow      Vietnam             Castillo/Dave/Randy (last two are Task Force characters)

Snakes in the Mist              Vietnam             Castillo

Cowboy                               Da Nang             Sonny Crockett

Wave Rider                          Laos                   Castillo

The Last Stop                     Miami                  Hank Weldon

Whispers                             Miami                  Sonny

Rear View                            Miami                  Sonny/Lou

Calm Before the Storm      New York City    Rico

Series Timeline

Partners                              Sonny/Rico/Lou              Season 1 - after the pilot

Bridges                                Rico                                 Season 1 - between the pilot and Heart of Darkness

All I Want for Christmas   Stan Switek                       Season 2-ish

Rotten to the Core            Sonny Crockett                Season 2 - after "All I Want for Christmas"

King’s Pawn                        Stan Switek                     Season 2 – before Phil The Shill

Street Talk                          Noogie                             Season 2

B-U-R-N-E-Double T         Sonny Crockett               Between Season 2 and Season 3

The Final Bell                      Larry Zito                         Season 3 - Down for the Count highlights from Larry's PoV

Just a Favor                        Stan Switek                     Season 3 – right after Down for the Count

Payback                              Castillo                             Season 3 - Post Down for the Count

The Golden Touch             Trudy Joplin                     Season 4 – after Missing Hours

Homebodies                       Sonny Crockett               Season 4 – before Deliver us from Evil

Vengeance is Mine            Sonny Crockett                Season 4 – before Mirror Image

White Lies                          Sonny Burnett                  Between Season 4 and 5 - right after Mirror Image

Flying Solo                         Rico                                   Between Season 4 and 5

Power Play                        Sonny Burnett                   Between Season 4 and 5

Post-Series/Task Force

The More Things Change...  (299 paperback pages)

Echoes  (312 paperback pages)

Boomerang (Task Force short story)

The Line   (121 paperback pages - more of a novella really)

Dine In or Carry Out?  (Task Force short story featuring Team Elvis)

With Friends Like These...   (208 paperback pages)

Catch of the Day (a Task Force short story)

Breaking Point  (345 paperback pages)

The Gift  (post Task Force short story)

Coda  (post Task Force short story)

No Good Deed...   (373 paperback pages)              Post Task Force

Half Life                           Sonny                                 Post everything else

Special

Genesis (451 paperback pages)

SEARCH TIP: If you're looking for all the parts of these (or any other) stories, try this handy tip: If you're reading a story and want to find the rest, try searching the forum using the story title. Both MJ and I were pretty consistent when naming our threads, so that should bring up each part when you search.

When you click in the search box, just check "this forum" (if you're in the Fan Fiction forum already...if not leave it alone), then "content titles only" (the last box in the search dropdown). That's the most precise way to do it.

I just modified the novel links to bring up the search results based on the novel title. So if you click on Genesis, it will bring up all the parts of Genesis. If you change the sort to "by date" you'll get them in order.

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

If other authors want to add their stuff, I'd suggest replying to this thread so it's all in one place and kinda organized. And maybe a mod would consider pinning it to the top so it doesn't get lost...:cheers:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

If other authors want to add their stuff, I'd suggest replying to this thread so it's all in one place and kinda organized. And maybe a mod would consider pinning it to the top so it doesn't get lost...:cheers:

Great idea, Robbie!

• Thanks 1

• timm525 pinned this topic

The older fan fiction is harder for me to break down and classify. I might take a stab at it, but I don't know how successful I'll be.

I'd also like to point people to a story MJ and I wrote in tandem called Double Vision. She did Crockett's point of view, while I stuck to Tubbs. It was kind of an experiment for us, and is set after Definitely Miami in Season 2.

• Like 3

I'm taking the liberty of adding a guide for MJ's stories as well. She'd typed up the guide, but was having issues adding links. Like mine, all links go to part one of a particular story.

MJ's VIce Stories

Flashback                Sonny/Castillo      1984- Season 1 parallel to "One Eyed Jack"
If Only                       Sonny/Castillo      1989- Season 5, Post Redemption in Blood 
Pied Piper                Sonny/Billy            1992- Post Season 5
Second Chances    Sonny                     1994- Post Season 5 
Watching                 Sonny/Gina            1992 to 1998 -Post Season 5 
                                 Castillo/Rico

• Like 2

In the past I had written several fan fictions either in german and with the help from my american cousin also in english. All my fan fictions have novel length and are playing after the series. I think in 2010 or so. I would be happy if one could find them in a reader's guide.

Edited by Christine

It's easy enough to do. You can list them and add links to the start of each story. I've looked through the older stuff and find it hard to break down, honestly. It's better if whoever wrote it does that.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

Robbie, have just started reading your stuff. If MV had had you writing full time for them, it'd probably still be running!!

Not so sure about that, but thanks for the kind words. Hope you enjoy them!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbie C. said:

Not so sure about that, but thanks for the kind words. Hope you enjoy them!

Believe me, it's quality writing. Shall look forward to perusing at my leisure.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wolfie1996 said:

Believe me, it's quality writing. Shall look forward to perusing at my leisure.

At least there’s a lot for you to peruse. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Handy tip: If you're reading a story and want to find the rest, try searching the forum using the story title. Both MJ and I were pretty consistent when naming our threads, so that should bring up each part when you search.

When you click in the search box, just check "this forum" (if you're in the Fan Fiction forum already...if not leave it alone), then "content titles only" (the last box in the search dropdown). That's the most precise way to do it.

ETA: I added this to the bottom of my fan fiction list after I posted this, so yeah...it's duplication but it was somewhat intentional...

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Posted a couple more stories yesterday.

Both great! I finished the second one earlier today. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Thanks 1

Glad you enjoyed them! There's been enough of a gap I figured I'd just stick something here so interested folks would know something new has landed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Glad you enjoyed them! There's been enough of a gap I figured I'd just stick something here so interested folks would know something new has landed.

It’s never a bad idea to tag your readers with an :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Dadrian said:

It’s never a bad idea to tag your readers with an :thumbsup:

Yeah...except I don't know if notifications come up reliably on mobile stuff after the latest upgrade. That and, of course, you can only hit people who comment that way. There are likely people who read these who don't comment, and I don't want to leave them out.

• Like 1

Oh okay. Not sure if I understand you, but when you do the @ signs, those people get a notification (yes they suck on a phone with the current version), and anyone can still see the post in the feed. Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding here. :) 

No big deal either way. Just trying to help as a fellow creator. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Oh okay. Not sure if I understand you, but when you do the @ signs, those people get a notification (yes they suck on a phone with the current version), and anyone can still see the post in the feed. Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding here. :) 

No big deal either way. Just trying to help as a fellow creator. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I know how the notifications work and that stuff still shows in the feed. It's just with the new 'feature' on mobile versions they're almost more trouble than they're worth. I do appreciate the thought.

Of course, if there are folks who'd like to be notified when I post new stuff, feel free to let me know. I'd don't mind adding the '@' stuff.

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 1

I just modified the novel links to bring up all parts of the novel as a search to make it easier to find them. If you change the sort from "Relevancy" to "Date" it will sort them in order.

• Like 1