MIAMI VICE NEW SERIES 2021

S0NNY

58 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

I think all of these reboots,  "Magnum"  "MacGyver" "Fantasy Island" "Hawaii 5-0"  etc.  all seem pretty good to those youngsters who know nothing about or have never seen the originals.   The best thing is, WE DON'T HAVE TO WATCH THEM!  ;)

Agreed 100% ... When we know the originals, the reboots are ... You see what I mean :)

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. Calderon said:

With those fan movies done by beau, a new vice movie could work. It depends of what you expect from it.

I agree...but I doubt the cast as a whole would do one now. And DJ seems currently focused on the “Nash” revival...so I doubt he’d want to do a MV one at the same time. But, a MV revival (or reunion TV movie) with the original cast would be cool (even despite their ages). 70 year olds now are like 45-50 year olds from back then. 

• Like 3

A "Nash Bridges" revival huh (so, we have a friend in you again)? Good, more Jeff Perry (I liked him on that show, he played the character I could most relate to). My favorite episode of that show (other than "Wild Card", with our Bubba being way too far from home:-) is the one with Brittany Murphy guest starring ('Night Train'). Love the opening song there, and Murphy, with all her purple & attitude, reminds me of The Joker, like big time; scary good.

2 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

With those fan movies done by beau, a new vice movie could work. It depends of what you expect from it.

Hey thanks pal, that’s kind of you to say. 
Regards the reboot, it depends on a few things. 

If it was done with the original cast then ultimately, it wouldn’t be like the original tv show. For me, you would have to make it realistic and have the reunion focus on the characters personal lives. As mentioned, these guys would be retired and unlikely working in law enforcement now. 

My mini series revolves around the death of Jack Castillo (Marty’s son). But that’s a personal story and the law enforcement side of things would not be the focus. I would focus on how Miami has changed since the 80s. But, the only thing that hasn’t changed, is the love the characters have for eachother. Thus, Crockett is reluctantly drawn back to Miami, to help Marty. Tubbs is reluctantly drawn back and ultimately, it’s a revenge story about settling old scores. A limited series run that’s probably not everyone’s cup of tea.  

Fans tuning in expecting to see Crockett hanging out with Elvis on the St Vitus dance, would be sadly disappointed. 

Simply put, Miami Vice means different things to different people and it’s impossible to please everyone. Michael Mann said as much on the MV movie commentary. For an MV 2021 show to appeal to a wide audience, I believe you would need a HBO stlye crime drama with a lot of references to the original show. I don’t see NBC deciding to take that approach. 

Now I know NBC approached Don Johnson in mid 2019 regards a revival/reunion. At least one meeting took place between Don and NBC executives to discuss this. Discussions were initially positive then there was some hold up. Don’s relationship with NBC remains good to this day and ultimately, Don joined the cast of Kenan while this potential MV project is still on hold. The fact Don decided to do Nash Bridges could possibly mean he knows the project is now dead?

Ive heard many rumours as to why the project is/was delayed but I won’t divulge as I can’t confirm if there legit. 

One thing to mention though is that we are now living in the streaming wars. NBC launched there own streaming platform, Peacock, and they need to compete with the likes of Disney and Netflix. 
One thing that is key for Platforms to have, is original content. A key marketing factor when it comes to obtaining subscribers. 
NBC have “Miami Vice” as an option to play. 
Miami Vice is a brand name, very much in our pop culture lexicon. NBC Peacock could offer exclusive content like a new MV revival show that would possibly help the platform. Maybe it wouldn’t but worth mentioning. 

Wow, long reply. Anyways if somehow it did happen, I sadly don’t see Saundra Santiago joining the revival. Some of her recent comments about Don would likely make for an awkward production shoot lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miami Beau said:

If it was done with the original cast then ultimately, it wouldn’t be like the original tv show. For me, you would have to make it realistic and have the reunion focus on the characters personal lives. As mentioned, these guys would be retired and unlikely working in law enforcement now. 

My mini series revolves around the death of Jack Castillo (Marty’s son). But that’s a personal story and the law enforcement side of things would not be the focus. I would focus on how Miami has changed since the 80s. But, the only thing that hasn’t changed, is the love the characters have for eachother. Thus, Crockett is reluctantly drawn back to Miami, to help Marty. Tubbs is reluctantly drawn back and ultimately, it’s a revenge story about settling old scores. A limited series run that’s probably not everyone’s cup of tea.  

Fans tuning in expecting to see Crockett hanging out with Elvis on the St Vitus dance, would be sadly disappointed. 

Simply put, Miami Vice means different things to different people and it’s impossible to please everyone. Michael Mann said as much on the MV movie commentary. For an MV 2021 show to appeal to a wide audience, I believe you would need a HBO stlye crime drama with a lot of references to the original show. I don’t see NBC deciding to take that approach. 

Now I know NBC approached Don Johnson in mid 2019 regards a revival/reunion. At least one meeting took place between Don and NBC executives to discuss this. Discussions were initially positive then there was some hold up. Don’s relationship with NBC remains good to this day and ultimately, Don joined the cast of Kenan while this potential MV project is still on hold. The fact Don decided to do Nash Bridges could possibly mean he knows the project is now dead?

Ive heard many rumours as to why the project is/was delayed but I won’t divulge as I can’t confirm if there legit. 

One thing to mention though is that we are now living in the streaming wars. NBC launched there own streaming platform, Peacock, and they need to compete with the likes of Disney and Netflix. 
One thing that is key for Platforms to have, is original content. A key marketing factor when it comes to obtaining subscribers. 
Miami Vice is a brand name, very much in our pop culture lexicon. NBC Peacock could offer exclusive content like a new MV revival show that would possibly help the platform. Maybe it wouldn’t but worth mentioning. 

Wow, long reply. Anyways if somehow it did happen, I sadly don’t see Saundra Santiago joining the revival. Some of her recent comments about Don would likely make for an awkward production shoot lol. 

I love that NBC has made Vice available; for me it makes up for when they lost the NFL after 1997, because I loved the NFL on NBC (Domino's Pizza Halftime show! Domino's Pizza!) back then:fireworks:.

Wow, what did Saundra Santiago say about Don Johnson? I'm not always privy to such information, but in this case I admit to being curious.

I agree that Crockett wouldn’t still be on the St. Vitus, lol...after all supposedly in the finale he left anyway. If they did a reunion or a short revival series, it definitely couldn’t just be the 80s all over again...it would have to be updated.

However, it would need some odes & homages to the original show. Plus, thanks to MV, the iconic colors are still around—especially in Miami. Also, the fashion of that time seems to be popular again...but perhaps not as “definite” as the 80s, lol.

As for Saundra...I know that Don supposedly could be egotistical sometimes, but from what I’ve read before he & Saundra got along pretty good most of the time. Just last year in an interview, she talked about the show and said she and Don flirted a lot on set but were never actually romantically involved in real life, as she felt it was not a good idea to actually date current co-workers. 

So, if they’d ever do a revival/reunion I’d hope she’d at least have a cameo, if not a regular role. ;)

• Like 3

Just now, ViceFanMan said:

I agree that Crockett wouldn’t still be on the St. Vitus, lol...after all supposedly in the finale he left anyway. If they did a reunion or a short revival series, it definitely couldn’t just be the 80s all over again...it would have to be updated.

However, it would need some odes & homages to the original show. Plus, thanks to MV, the iconic colors are still around—especially in Miami. Also, the fashion of that time seems to be popular again...but perhaps not as “definite” as the 80s, lol.

As for Saundra...I know that Don supposedly could be egotistical sometimes, but from what I’ve read before he & Saundra got along pretty good most of the time. Just last year in an interview, she talked about the show and said she and Don flirted a lot on set but were never actually romantically involved in real life, as she felt it was not a good idea to actually date current co-workers. 

So, if they’d ever do a revival/reunion I’d hope she’d at least have a cameo, if not a regular role. ;)

Thanks for clearing up the Saundra Santiago/Don Johnson thing for me; I never heard anything too negative from that end, and I'm aware that Santiago is pretty friendly with Michael Talbott & John Diehl (I get the vibe that Talbott & Diehl enjoy teasing Santiago, at least from the conventions and interviews I've seen. I find it very endearing really).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Thanks for clearing up the Saundra Santiago/Don Johnson thing for me; I never heard anything too negative from that end, and I'm aware that Santiago is pretty friendly with Michael Talbott & John Diehl (I get the vibe that Talbott & Diehl enjoy teasing Santiago, at least from the conventions and interviews I've seen. I find it very endearing really).

Yeah, I’m sure it wasn’t all roses & candy behind the scenes 24-7 :p:flowers:, but for the most part I’ve read the majority of the cast got along most of the time. However, early on I’ve read that Don & Edward James Olmos had some creative issues. But, I think they worked them out enough to get the work done & respect their roles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, I’m sure it wasn’t all roses & candy behind the scenes 24-7 :p:flowers:, but for the most part I’ve read the majority of the cast got along most of the time. However, early on I’ve read that Don & Edward James Olmos had some creative issues. But, I think they worked them out enough to get the work done & respect their roles.

Yeah, I mean in any work environment things can get testy even for people who get along (DJ did say that in five years working with PMT, they never had a fight). I agree, I think there's a professional respect between the Vice cast, and there's probably many productions in which it went a lot worse. Plus, we know Crockett: heaven knows he's no box of candy:).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Yeah, I mean in any work environment things can get testy even for people who get along (DJ did say that in five years working with PMT, they never had a fight). I agree, I think there's a professional respect between the Vice cast, and there's probably many productions in which it went a lot worse. Plus, we know Crockett: heaven knows he's no box of candy:).

Very true! :p:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I love that NBC has made Vice available; for me it makes up for when they lost the NFL after 1997, because I loved the NFL on NBC (Domino's Pizza Halftime show! Domino's Pizza!) back then:fireworks:.

Wow, what did Saundra Santiago say about Don Johnson? I'm not always privy to such information, but in this case I admit to being curious.

I mean l want to believe it’s nothing and I’m sure maybe it is. But just recently, Saundra did say that Don was very difficult to work with. She went on to say that she had stories about Don, and that she is contemplating writing a book one day and revealing all. I was kinda taken back by that because I assumed all was good between the two actors. 

• Like 1

I mean l want to believe it’s nothing and I’m sure maybe it is. But just recently, Saundra did say that Don was very difficult to work with. She went on to say that she had stories about Don, and that she is contemplating writing a book one day and revealing all. I was kinda taken back by that because I assumed all was good between the two actors. 

From what I’ve always read & heard them say, for the most part I think Don and Saundra got along. I’ve heard Don could be difficult on the set...wanting things a certain way, or not liking something that was or wasn’t done, etc...with writers, producers, camera crew, etc... 

So, if and when that happened, I’m sure it sometimes made some scenes difficult to get filmed. But, I’ve not really ever heard that those two personally had problems with each other.

However, none of us were there at the time, or privy to everything that went on behind the scenes. When the show’s popularity exploded, I’m sure egos did as well. ;)

47 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

But, I’ve not really ever heard that those two personally had problems with each other.

She said he used to “grab [her] boob”. I don’t think she liked that. :) 

I’ve seen a lot of nice things she said about him too though. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

She said he used to “grab [her] boob”. I don’t think she liked that. :) 

I’ve seen a lot of nice things she said about him too though. 

Yeah, I think he was probably pretty “grabby” & flirtatious. Not only did Crockett like the ladies...so did Don. ;) Nowadays he’d of gotten prosecuted for sexual harassment. But, I think they seemed to get along overall. But, there could be some wild stories we don’t know about? :p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2021 at 8:35 PM, Dadrian said:

“And we’ll get Satchel Paige to pitch!” :) 

I meant no harm @Augusta

I couldn’t resist at least giving any MV reboot a chance (even if it’s terrible). :thumbsup:

Hey, no harm felt here!!  I like this site, and you're all free to speak.  

Same for Tom.  

I have no anger when I post (except when I used to post in a community site for a game called Dust 514---we needed anger there, just to make your point clearly).  

Sometimes film makers have the right way of going about it:  They know a classic excellent film from the 1940's, they want to "remake" the movie (what we call 'reboot' with tv series today), but they intentionally DON'T use the same title, or try to snag the same performers.  Maybe the location is the same, the characters names similar, and if the technical team is sharp, the "remake" movie succeeds mostly because they DIDN'T advertise to everyone that it's going to be an attempt to bring back the old movie in a new way.  

Even if Don Johnson himself is helming the plan to reboot MV, or Vin's idea survives the covid, the scandals, the next IDA hurricane, I still wouldn't think they could do the job.  Don Johnson didn't make MV great.  Yerkovich's and Mann's ability to recognize and add Johnson and Thomas and the city of Miami and Jan, etc to the creation of the show, is what made MV great.  ...And THOSE technical masters are not going to be "rebooted".

Funny thing is, if Hollywood decided to make a tv series "modelled" after MV, capturing some of the atmosphere and the production style that Vice had, and call it its OWN show name instead of calling it "the new Miami Vice"... I'd be overcome by curiosity and watch a few episodes.

But the moment they take a superbly created show from the past, and start selling as "the new version we've made", I'm dead set prejudiced against looking at the show.  I've read a lot of behind the scenes about Hollywood---I grimace at how they repeatedly muck a good thing up, make victims or enemies or outcasts out of creators and actors,... and sooner or later spoil the fun that we the audience was having.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Cmon...Saundra from what she said time ago about don johnson´s lips....i think she missed him... :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

"Oh don johnson was difficult to work with...." In  the 80´s, with his fame, money and success...if im an poor ass*ole today, in the 80´s i would be a total hemorroid lololol

19 hours ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

He said in an interview they didn't even have a constructive argument, that's how well they got on with each other.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Miami Beau said:

If i had an iconic character, i only would sign a contract 10 meetings later to say a minimum. 

Edited by Mr. Calderon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

He said in an interview they didn't even have a constructive argument, that's how well they got on with each other.

Yeah, they certainly were Made for Each Other:p. PMT seems like such a likable guy to boot (DJ has used words such as "sweet" & "joyful" to describe him; I feel DJ's more on edge, but I do believe he has a lot of charm as well). Years ago, Entertainment Weekly rated them the best cop duo in TV history, and due to their chemistry that's practically its own character (at least to me), I have to agree!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Yeah, they certainly were Made for Each Other:p. PMT seems like such a likable guy to boot (DJ has used words such as "sweet" & "joyful" to describe him; I feel DJ's more on edge, but I do believe he has a lot of charm as well). Years ago, Entertainment Weekly rated them the best cop duo in TV history, and due to their chemistry that's practically its own character (at least to me), I have to agree!

A new miami vice without PMT would be painful. I know...they are on wheelchairs now....

8 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

A new miami vice without PMT would be painful. I know...they are on wheelchairs now....

You’d have to have both C&T to make a MV revival or reunion work. Preferably most of the cast involved somehow.

As for wheelchairs...70 year olds now make the 40 year olds look like wussies! :p They’re the generation that finally said...we’re not going to grow old gracefully...I can still do what I did at 40 or 50—and possibly better. ;) My dad is 73 and can practically work me under the proverbial table! I have lots of respect for the baby-boomer generation. They still “got it”! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Makes me think of that wheelchair cover Switek & Zito had in 'Made for Each Other'. Well, I do think the cast is ambulatory enough to at least be administrative and see some duty:cool:.

2 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

You’d have to have both C&T to make a MV revival or reunion work. Preferably most of the cast involved somehow.

As for wheelchairs...70 year olds now make the 40 year olds look like wussies! :p They’re the generation that finally said...we’re not going to grow old gracefully...I can still do what I did at 40 or 50—and possibly better. ;) My dad is 73 and can practically work me under the proverbial table! I have lots of respect for the baby-boomer generation. They still “got it”! :thumbsup: 

Yeah, my father was 74 and still was a kid at heart, while my mother (until pulmonary edema got to her) was still rockin' out at 73 like she was 34 (that's the age she gave me once when she said about how she felt in her early 70's).

• Like 1