Don speaks about MV Reboot and Tubbs

Mr. Calderon

Thanks for sharing this interview ... I would love to see Crockett and Tubbs agains, but Don is right, MV was perfect in place and time.

So, the only thing we can do is to Wait & See :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kladdagh said:

I don't know him of course

You probably know him more than you think. I’ve always believed that Ricardo Tubbs was at least 99% PMT. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

You probably know him more than you think. I’ve always believed that Ricardo Tubbs was at least 99% PMT. 

Very humble guy on and off camera :)

• Like 4

I hope DJ speaks the truth and that they are indeed still in touch. I do believe him about how great PMT is; never heard a single bad thing about him. 

It does seem that a reboot is not happening anytime soon. A pity because before the pandemic, DJ was quite open about looking for ways to bring it back. It seems the appetite is a lot less now, probably because he seems pretty busy himself and might not need Vice anymore to resurrect his career(?)

I do kind of agree that Vice was really for the 80's. Nash is so generic, it was easier for him to bring it back (plus he owns the rights, which is a financial benefit of course) but bringing Vice back and still make it look cool with 70 year olds, will be challenging to say the least.

• Like 3

Vice simply wouldn't work today, for any number of reasons (some aesthetic, some political, some social). What you'd end up with would be a watered down version rich in "feelings" and lacking all the pointed moments we'd expect from Vice (unless they were heavy-handed things with Keenan Ivory Waynes popping up in the background shouting "Message!" - if you haven't seen Don't be a Menace... you won't understand). And you certainly wouldn't see someone like Izzy. No...best to let Vice rest on its laurels and preserve some elements of the '80s if you ask me.

• Like 5

I would still like to watch it, knowing in the back of my mind I will be dissapointed. But I always loved the chemistry of DJ and PMT and I will bet it is still there. Hell, even a 5 second Nike commercial with LeBron was sufficient to wet the appetite for more Vice. 

But I do agree Robbie, Miami is different, the world is different. It will be a woke version of Vice and I am not sure if I am down for that. Also the glamour of drugs is pretty much gone; seeing all the fentanyl junks on the streets of San Francisco. It would look odd seeing Crockett and Tubbs chasing these junkies in a Ferrari. 

So yeah, very conflicted if it could work. The actors could work, even the music with synthwave could work, however the storyline is a different thing. 

When we saw what Michael Mann did with the movie ... The story was good and the pictures was great BUT ... for me, it was more generic and NOT Miami Vice.

So, that's true ... The TV series was ahead for his time and it perfectly match the 80's ... The world has changed (specialy since 9/11).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OCBman said:

Brought a tear to my eye when he spoke of Philip Michael Thomas.

At last someone asked...about time...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kladdagh said:

When we saw what Michael Mann did with the movie ... The story was good and the pictures was great BUT ... for me, it was more generic and NOT Miami Vice.

So, that's true ... The TV series was ahead for his time and it perfectly match the 80's ... The world has changed (specialy since 9/11)

Lets suppose a thing... would you like If farrel and Foxx and Mann being successful with that movie? Thx God It sank...imagine the kids today considering farrel and Foxx as the real deal crockett and Tubbs?

Edited by Mr. Calderon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I think the same for Johnson and crockett

43 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

I think the same for Johnson and crockett

Probably true too. As the series progressed, Crockett became more and more serious and less youthful/energetic. Which fits with the arrogance that increased with DJ. 

• Like 1

if a reboot sees light someday it has to be different. but i do think there's lot of material to make something good. regarding DJ, and PMT i see them in second roles only. kinda retired wise advisers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jpaul1 said:

if a reboot sees light someday it has to be different. but i do think there's lot of material to make something good. regarding DJ, and PMT i see them in second roles only. kinda retired wise advisers

I agree, sort of how 'Leap of Faith' went.

2 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

So, that's true ... The TV series was ahead for his time and it perfectly match the 80's ... The world has changed (specialy since 9/11).

I didn't love the film, but I like it okay. I agree with your statement about it: well-done, good story, fantastic photography...but there was just something missing for me, it didn't have that "oomph!" for me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I didn't love the film, but I like it okay. I agree with your statement about it: well-done, good story, fantastic photography...but there was just something missing for me, it didn't have that "oomph!" for me.

The only thing really wrong with that movie is the title and characters’ names. 

Has that already been said? :) 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I dont expect a starring roles to c and t, but guest stars for small roles. I dont Care. But crockett and Tubbs could return.

Okay, a 30 min Interview on TV with DJ and pmt talking about the 80s and i forget this reboot thing.

• Haha 2

I didn't really like the movie, but that was because the characters were portrayed so completely differently than we know them from the series. A Trudy who can barely open her mouth? Not conceivable for me.
If the story had been given a different name, it would have looked different, but as it was, I saw a Crockett, a Tubbs, and a Castillo who were completely different people.
As for a remake: I think it would depend on how the screenwriters handled the aged series actors. They wouldn't be allowed to play the main role in that case, but would have to be there in a supporting capacity. That would certainly work.

• Like 4

I agree with Christine.  Maimi Vice was never just a show about the characters... it required the "characterizations" to go with them.  The same way I don't fancy Don Johnson's portrayal of characters in other tv shows, the specific way HE characterized his role as Crockett is what made me like "Crockett-n-Tubbs-n-Trudy-n-the City".  The same is true for every single one of the actresses and actors in the show.  

Put different actors into those same roles, and it's like starting all over having to introduce me to a tv show that "has these cops, and they drive this boat, and the sun shines, and..." and I won't have any clue whatsoever if I will even like what you're introducing to me.  The Miami Vice movie was like that for me.  It wasn't Miami Vice---I had to look at it from the angle of being a competent film, or not a well-done film, and that's all.  NOT ever Miami Vice.  

I have nothing but love for the gang who made and starred in the series.  But I really would NOT like to risk seeing them appear in a "new" Miami Vice, and risk getting me all nostalgic and super-picky and super-critical about what I'm watching.  

Seeing Philip or Don or Sandra again will only make me say "See?  HE could do your role much better than that--cuz he used to BE Tubbs!"  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

I dont expect a starring roles to c and t, but guest stars for small roles. I dont Care. But crockett and Tubbs could return.

Okay, a 30 min Interview on TV with DJ and pmt talking about the 80s and i forget this reboot thing.

At this stage, I would even settle just to see a picture of them; laughing, having a drink and enjoying each other's friendship.

Regarding the movie: the biggest lack was chemistry between Foxx and Farrel. And the chemistry is exactly what Vice made so good as a series. 

• Like 3