Miami Vice TV series on Blu-ray

DaytonVicer

8 minutes ago, SwissTubbs said:

Koch used the same Masters as Mill Creek.
But Mill Creek presented them wrong. They were too washed out color-wise and the encoding is problematic.
Mill Creek is a budget company and it shows with their TV Releases.

Off course for 50 Bucks you cant go wrong. And its still miles better then DVD.
But Mill Creek didnt do anything with the masters they got.

Koch did everything they could with the dated Masters. Koch ist not a standard company. They do a lot of restoration work with Companys like LSP Medien. They just did for example the 4K Restoration of the 1984 Dune Movie. Same Restoration also used on the Arrow UK Disc.
They know something about film ;)

Of Course you can still dislike personally the results on Miami Vice. But i dont see colors/lighting too bright and neon.
And Koch also repaired a lot of the English Audio Problems (for example the missing line in sons and lovers)

Here are some comparisons i did between Koch and Mill Creek:

Cool Runnin: https://slow.pics/c/1eOp19Ho

As you can see the mill creek is brighter here.

The Great McCarthy: https://slow.pics/c/r3ZMj0Da

Here you can also see the much better compression of the Koch. Grain is better resolved and no artifacts.
Also the Mill Creek is just too bright.

Out where the buses dont run: https://slow.pics/c/G2L3ghkz

Same here.

But also you also can see: On most episodes the differences in Color are not that big because those are the same masters.
Koch just encoded them much better and with the correct black levels. Or you also can say: Koch did care and Mill Creek just put them on Disc ;)

But there are some Episodes with bigger differences because Koch corrected faults in the master:

Baby Blues: https://slow.pics/c/DZ1xqrIj

The unaltered Master used by Mill Creek (and as always poorly compressed by them) and others looks heavily washed out and has for me nothing to do with Miami Vice. Koch did remaster it and the colors and balance is much better now.

Vote of Confidence: https://slow.pics/c/6e8xt1fz

The unaltered Master as presented on Mill Creek (and of course all the others like Elephant Films and Faboulus) is just nasty here. Completely Lifeless and dull.
The Koch remastering gave it the color back! Picture 4 with the Blue Color is also striking or the last one with our vice girls.

There would be more examples of this.
For me its not fair to say colors are wrong on the koch set. They clearly presented the best versions of those old masters.
But of course personally you have every right to not like it. I dont understand it but i dont have to. Everybody can have their own oppinion of course. Cheers!

I don’t see anything “washed out” with the Mill Creek set...although it sometimes is a budget company, depending on the show, and what’s available to them. However, with MV the colors & picture quality are amazing! They went above & beyond with the MV set, and it’s definitely well above “budget” quality. :clap:

I’ve seen pictures, stills, and scenes from the Koch set (which are still the same syndicated/edited/cut versions all the home video companies have used). However, I realize that some other countries outside the U.S. (including where the Koch set was put together) have only recently gotten the U.S. edited episodes...whereas, what they had before was even more “butchered”. But, for us in the U.S. they’re the same edited/cut versions we’ve always had.

But, although the colors are very vivid, bright, and neon-ish, and I’m sure Koch went to a lot of work to make them that way...it’s not really MV, nor what it was originally filmed as, or intended to be. The show was more about pastel & “soft” Caribbean colors, woven into a “dark” noir-like storyline. Not ‘harsh’, vibrant neon-like colors that sometimes seem to almost alter or change the colors from the original versions. It almost seems as if Koch created their own color scheme for their set.

But, if you like that, and it seems all new compared to previous episodes/versions you might have seen...then go for it! I’m not saying the Koch set is a “bad” set...some of the colors look beautiful! It just isn’t true MV, nor the original, true colors to me. It mostly comes down to what set you like & for what reasons. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It's even more academic now as the product was limited and has long since sold out. So if people were understandably looking twice at the price to import the set, you're looking at way more now on the secondary market as something that is out of print/deleted.

Unless Koch do a standard packaging reissue of the set non-exclusive to their site (which they really should) then lest you come in to money suddenly, it's best to just forget this product, it's gone.

If people have it and enjoy it, splendid. But if not, it's a moot point now anyway, it's no longer a remotely sensible purchase option, given the original asking price was high for all the reasons we've discussed :funky:

• Like 1

I purchased the Koch set last year after pre ordering it off the Koch website. I do plan to give a detailed review at some point but yeah, overall a fantastic buy and worth every penny. I was hesitant at first as I also own the UK Fabulous Entertainment boxset but after now having owned it for a while, for me the Koch set is worth the price. 

The packaging it highly detailed and beautifully designed. Looks great of a shelf or tv stand. Having compared my two box sets, the Koch one carried slightly more definition in the picture. The colours really pop and with the lights turned off, it’s a very immersive experience. I also watch MV on streaming sites and the colours are faded. Still good, but the Koch version gives it new life.

I also watch the Koch boxset on my tv using “live football mode” which increases the frame rate and gives the picture a more sharper look. Watching it like this takes away the cinematic factor but honestly, it makes the show look like how the Miami Vice 2006 movie looked. Hard to explain but the picture mode makes it look like it was filmed recently and not in the 80s. If your tv has this mode (Sony TV) then definitely try it out sometime. 

Pic from Miracle Man from Koch Media. 

2CEB4B66-8E74-4BDD-A2A8-60E50ADEBA85.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Miami Beau said:

I purchased the Koch set last year after pre ordering it off the Koch website. I do plan to give a detailed review at some point but yeah, overall a fantastic buy and worth every penny. I was hesitant at first as I also own the UK Fabulous Entertainment boxset but after now having owned it for a while, for me the Koch set is worth the price. 

The packaging it highly detailed and beautifully designed. Looks great of a shelf or tv stand. Having compared my two box sets, the Koch one carried slightly more definition in the picture. The colours really pop and with the lights turned off, it’s a very immersive experience. I also watch MV on streaming sites and the colours are faded. Still good, but the Koch version gives it new life.

I also watch the Koch boxset on my tv using “live football mode” which increases the frame rate and gives the picture a more sharper look. Watching it like this takes away the cinematic factor but honestly, it makes the show look like how the Miami Vice 2006 movie looked. Hard to explain but the picture mode makes it look like it was filmed recently and not in the 80s. If your tv has this mode (Sony TV) then definitely try it out sometime. 

Pic from Miracle Man from Koch Media. 

2CEB4B66-8E74-4BDD-A2A8-60E50ADEBA85.jpeg

Cool. And not to contradict, but just for the interest of reading the other side of that same coin, see the quote below. But as the man says, whatever works :cool:

On 6/1/2021 at 6:23 PM, bodie said:

Just to say, that your aspect ratio is off there. Miami Vice is vintage television, square 4:3 ratio. You can see Don is distorted in the image above to fit your rectangular screen. Check your aspect ratio on your screen, it should be set to 16:9. And check your player is set to output discs at their original resolution; all the Miami Vice Blu-rays are 16:9 with black bars either side and the 4:3 image in the middle. So you want black bars either side, full picture visible and no distortion;

horizontal stretch;

CyDO3wlT_o.jpg

cropped, losing top and bottom of image;

oopXh6Jr_o.jpg

vertical stretch;

uqRYa81O_o.jpg

4:3 with 4:3 bars imposed by screen (Blu-rays have these black pillarbox bars already);

D3v18cIu_o.jpg

4:3 squashed and stretched to cinema ratio;

VU4nApm2_o.jpg

4:3 zoomed to cinema ratio, but with imposed unnecessary black top and bottom that wastes screen space;

JcR5Qekg_o.jpg

correct 4:3 in a 16:9 frame, every pixel of the screen is used to display every pixel of the disc;

P1Mhw4dn_o.jpg

in addition to all of that, make sure your screen overscan setting is off, or you will lose a tiny bit of the image. And make sure you use a screen setting like Cinema or True Cinema, not Normal, Dynamic, Game or anything. You want to see the disc as it is, not have the screen make any choices.

Also noise reduction settings should be disabled and any sharpness sliders should be set to middle if that is off - or down to nothing if that takes it off. You want the original film grain that the high definition scan has captured to render the detail of the film. You don't want more or less than intended - no screen can create detail that isn't actually there on the disc when viewed unaltered. Anything that claims to is a trick, don't be fooled.

However, if you the user decide you actively want any of these settings to differ from correct presentation, that is of course up to you. I'm just pointing out what's intended by the makers of the show :cool:

Equally here, up to you. But this has been a thing that has caused quite a bit of controversy in recent times - the difference between film and video.

Film is 24 frames per second, so Miami Vice should be coming through at 24p and 1080 resolution. You can mess with that with your Live mode and it will seem, as you say, to not be like film... that's what it's for.

Once again, up to you. But Miami Vice is film. A change just for seeing what it's like is fine, but these guys have a good point as to why it shouldn't be like that, from the point of view of film as film;

But as they say, it's all about enjoyment, so whatever floats your boat. So long as it's a conscious choice, rather than your player and screen settings not being set up by the person watching :thumbsup:

and on the business of the Koch art, which is completely subjective, but I didn't say whilst it was still available as I'm not here to discourage people, but as it's now a done deal; The lid always looks like it is on wrong because no sides of it match the art below it;

On 10/3/2020 at 3:10 AM, SwissTubbs said:

Box-Diagonal.thumb.jpg.5d115e2aed69a62c0c119e20220669c8.jpg

Box-Seite1.thumb.jpg.e235cd44c9985686c9a6c3922a017727.jpg

Box-Seite3.thumb.jpg.51ddfe91eb560ec651dae8f1db2c61c9.jpg

and the art style reminds me of that you get on the side of fairground rides, it's all based on photographs, but captured in a garish style. A much better take on the same thing can be seen in this officially licenced t-shirt graphic (second of the two images below), which is doing the same thing, but without rendering it in a clumpy way and done by someone who clearly got the memo about use of colour in the show. It's 100% a matter of taste, but no contest, for me;

awD50RVD_o.jpg

But again, whatever works, just my view. There is no right or wrong and if people enjoy what they enjoy, I am not here to criticise that - I'm just sharing my view on a pet subject :cheers:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bodie said:

Cool. And not to contradict, but just for the interest of reading the other side of that same coin, see the quote below. But as the man says, whatever works :cool:

and on the business of the Koch art, which is completely subjective, but I didn't say whilst it was still available as I'm not here to discourage people, but as it's now a done deal; The lid always looks like it is on wrong because no sides of it match the art below it;

and the art style reminds me of that you get on the side of fairground rides, it's all based on photographs, but captured in a garish style. A much better take on the same thing can be seen in this officially licenced t-shirt graphic (second of the two images below), which is doing the same thing, but without rendering it in a clumpy way and done by someone who clearly got the memo about use of colour in the show. It's 100% a matter of taste, but no contest, for me;

awD50RVD_o.jpg

But again, whatever works, just my view. There is no right or wrong and if people enjoy what they enjoy, I am not here to criticise that - I'm just sharing my view on a pet subject :cheers:

My opinion...but fully agree, and to me (as much work as they might have put into the set) the Koch set is garish, ‘neon’, and even somewhat harsh with the colors. In some ways it’s almost as if they “outsmarted” themselves.

They altered & digitally remastered the colors to the point where they’re too bright & too vibrant. It’s not true MV anymore! Plus, I’ve read several reviews/comments saying even the skin tone was greenish & bizarre in some scenes.

But, as I said my opinion. If some like that, then by all means go for it! It all comes down to what set you like & for what reasons. :funky: 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

My opinion...but fully agree, and to me (as much work as they might have put into the set) the Koch set is garish, ‘neon’, and even somewhat harsh with the colors. In some ways it’s almost as if they “outsmarted” themselves.

They altered & digitally remastered the colors to the point where they’re too bright & too vibrant. It’s not true MV anymore! Plus, I’ve read several reviews/comments saying even the skin tone was greenish & bizarre in some scenes.

But, as I said my opinion. If some like that, then by all means go for it! It all comes down to what set you like & for what reasons. :funky: 

Yeah, I'd say SwissTubbs clearly showed examples a few posts back and people can make of that what they will. But there are so many things at play between that and the viewer that we've gone into here over time. Which is why I just put it there as a quote, as again I see a member here, in this case Miami Beau, posting a shot of what he's watching which is completely changing it from what SwissTubbs showed... but hey, he was posting to say how much he enjoys it so, beyond quoting my ten pence on the situation, I have no agenda, I'm just a fellow fan. I'm glad people love the show and care about it enough to watch it now and pay for new ways to watch it. Good luck and happy times to all who sail with Gold Coast Shipping Co. :cheers:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bodie said:

Yeah, I'd say SwissTubbs clearly showed examples a few posts back and people can make of that what they will. But there are so many things at play between that and the viewer that we've gone into here over time. Which is why I just put it there as a quote, as again I see a member here, in this case Miami Beau, posting a shot of what he's watching which is completely changing it from what SwissTubbs showed... but hey, he was posting to say how much he enjoys it so, beyond quoting my ten pence on the situation, I have no agenda, I'm just a fellow fan. I'm glad people love the show and care about it enough to watch it now and pay for new ways to watch it. Good luck and happy times to all who sail with Gold Coast Shipping Co. :cheers:

Exactly...everyone has their opinions of each set that’s been released, but it’s really all about what “you” as a fan/viewer like, which set appeals to you the most, and go with that! It’s amazing & awesome that after 32 years of being off the air, this show has as strong of a fan base now, as it ever did then! :clap: Cheers to all the fans, and many more years of happy viewing! :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I know nothing about film production, so this was educational for me.

Why Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Voyager May Never Get the HD Remaster They Deserve

Robert Meyer Burnett, the writer, director, producer, and editor of the bonus features found on The Next Generation and Enterprise Blu-ray sets, discusses the complications in releasing DS9 and Voyager in HD

https://treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/

"Until fairly recently, both motion pictures and TV were shot mostly on 35mm film.  35mm film has a resolution of about 20 megapixels or greater. Comparatively, NTSC video, used in North America and Asia, has basically 640 pixels by 480 scan lines of resolution."

So, they were created on 35mm film with a resolution of 20 megapixels, but they were shown on TV at the NTSC resolution of 0.3 megapixels.

"After being shot on film, that film was edited, the negative was cut and prints were struck from that cut negative. All visual effects, titling, etc., were also shot on film. Depending on the finishing process, the resolution of the 35mm film was retained in the cut negative. This cut negative, properly stored and cared for, was then put away until it was needed to either strike new prints or be scanned for use on television and home."

But TNG was edited with a different process, so that 35mm film resolution was lost.  Producing HD DVDs for TNG was an incredible effort:

"So a radical notion was proposed…why not go back to the original negative and REBUILD the entire show, from from the ground up, in High Definition? In the history of television, this had never been done before. Essentially, all 178 episodes of TNG (176 if you’re watching the original versions of “Encounter at Farpoint” and “All Good Things”) would have to go through the entire post-production process AGAIN. The original edits would be adhered to exactly, but all the original negative would have to be rescanned, the VFX re-composed, the footage re-color-timed, certain VFX, such as phaser blasts and energy fields, recreated in CG, and the entire soundtrack, originally only finished in 2 channel stereo, would be remastered into thunderous, 7.1 DTS.

A Herculean task, to be sure, requiring many people working full time for years, to the tune of somewhere north of twelve million dollars. The enormous sweat-equity involved required the stamina of a long-distance runner. First, ALL the original negative would have to be tracked down, which was stored in thousands of boxes, then matched to every scene and take from the original finished episodes. Then, all of that negative needed to be scanned at 2K and color-timed from scratch, as the entire color palette of the series would change. For the first time, the REAL colors could be seen. For the model photography, also completed in 35mm, and added headache was discovered; celluloid sometimes shrinks over 25 years, so many VFX passes, requiring pin-registered accuracy with sometimes over ten elements to composite wouldn’t match up, so they had to be first scanned then recomposited in the computer. While that was the plan all along, sometimes certain elements were either lost or just too damaged to use, so an entire shot would have to be recreated in CG."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, airtommy said:

I know nothing about film production, so this was educational for me.

Why Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Voyager May Never Get the HD Remaster They Deserve

Robert Meyer Burnett, the writer, director, producer, and editor of the bonus features found on The Next Generation and Enterprise Blu-ray sets, discusses the complications in releasing DS9 and Voyager in HD

https://treknews.net/2017/02/02/why-ds9-voyager-not-on-blu-ray-hd/

"Until fairly recently, both motion pictures and TV were shot mostly on 35mm film.  35mm film has a resolution of about 20 megapixels or greater. Comparatively, NTSC video, used in North America and Asia, has basically 640 pixels by 480 scan lines of resolution."

So, they were created on 35mm film with a resolution of 20 megapixels, but they were shown on TV at the NTSC resolution of 0.3 megapixels.

"After being shot on film, that film was edited, the negative was cut and prints were struck from that cut negative. All visual effects, titling, etc., were also shot on film. Depending on the finishing process, the resolution of the 35mm film was retained in the cut negative. This cut negative, properly stored and cared for, was then put away until it was needed to either strike new prints or be scanned for use on television and home."

But TNG was edited with a different process, so that 35mm film resolution was lost.  Producing HD DVDs for TNG was an incredible effort:

"So a radical notion was proposed…why not go back to the original negative and REBUILD the entire show, from from the ground up, in High Definition? In the history of television, this had never been done before. Essentially, all 178 episodes of TNG (176 if you’re watching the original versions of “Encounter at Farpoint” and “All Good Things”) would have to go through the entire post-production process AGAIN. The original edits would be adhered to exactly, but all the original negative would have to be rescanned, the VFX re-composed, the footage re-color-timed, certain VFX, such as phaser blasts and energy fields, recreated in CG, and the entire soundtrack, originally only finished in 2 channel stereo, would be remastered into thunderous, 7.1 DTS.

A Herculean task, to be sure, requiring many people working full time for years, to the tune of somewhere north of twelve million dollars. The enormous sweat-equity involved required the stamina of a long-distance runner. First, ALL the original negative would have to be tracked down, which was stored in thousands of boxes, then matched to every scene and take from the original finished episodes. Then, all of that negative needed to be scanned at 2K and color-timed from scratch, as the entire color palette of the series would change. For the first time, the REAL colors could be seen. For the model photography, also completed in 35mm, and added headache was discovered; celluloid sometimes shrinks over 25 years, so many VFX passes, requiring pin-registered accuracy with sometimes over ten elements to composite wouldn’t match up, so they had to be first scanned then recomposited in the computer. While that was the plan all along, sometimes certain elements were either lost or just too damaged to use, so an entire shot would have to be recreated in CG."

A lot of times older TV shows & movies look amazing remastered on Blu-ray, even compared to the DVDs...and MV is definitely one—especially the Mill Creek Blu-ray set! :thumbsup: However, syndicated reruns were used for all MV home video releases.

I also recently acquired the original Mission Impossible TV series on Blu-ray, and it’s superb compared to the original DVD versions! :clap: I wish the original Hawaii Five-0 would get a Blu-ray release...the colors would be awesome!! :glossy:I also have Blu-ray releases of Charlie’s Angels & Knight Rider...looking to get the original Magnum p.i., too. 

Sadly, some older TV shows will not probably get a remastered Blu-ray release for various reasons (whether justified or just stupidity on the studio’s part), and I have to be grateful for whatever home video release formats there are. :o  

Edited by ViceFanMan

So Folks....

German Label Koch Media (now under the new Name Plaion Pictures) will after more than two years Re-Release their very popular Miami Vice Blu Ray Boxset!

As it seems at the moment It will be Shop Exclusive like the first release but at least available again!
It has the same Discs as in 2020 but in a new packaging with new design.

It will be available in December.
As soon as it have a pre-order Link and Pictures of the new Artwork i will post it here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SwissTubbs said:

So Folks....

German Label Koch Media (now under the new Name Plaion Pictures) will after more than two years Re-Release their very popular Miami Vice Blu Ray Boxset!

As it seems at the moment It will be Shop Exclusive like the first release but at least available again!
It has the same Discs as in 2020 but in a new packaging with new design.

It will be available in December.
As soon as it have a pre-order Link and Pictures of the new Artwork i will post it here.

Very interested to hear about this . Thankyou.

• Like 1

Order Link for the coming Re-Relase of the German Boxset:

https://shop.plaionpictures.com/miami-vice-die-komplette-serie-in-hd-35-blu-rays-exkl-shop

Same Price as the first time which makes sense cause it have the same content.

Like the first time this will only sell through the label shop and not on amazon or other places.

The outside Design is new. Inside are the same Digipacks:

MiamiVice2022__Beautyshot_1920x1920.jpg.31d3cd74a0a57018aa7027ad4c50fe00.jpg

Edited by SwissTubbs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb SwissTubbs:

Order Link for the coming Re-Relase of the German Boxset:

https://shop.plaionpictures.com/miami-vice-die-komplette-serie-in-hd-35-blu-rays-exkl-shop

Same Price as the first time which makes sense cause it have the same content.

Like the first time this will only sell through the label shop and not on amazon or other places.

The outside Design is new. Inside are the same Digipacks:

MiamiVice2022__Beautyshot_1920x1920.jpg.31d3cd74a0a57018aa7027ad4c50fe00.jpg

Second chance for everyone who missed to order last time. As was discussed earlier the picture is the best of all releases so far, full German and English audio and subtitles (that is also a unique feature of this set) and all episodes uncut.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tom said:

Second chance for everyone who missed to order last time. As was discussed earlier the picture is the best of all releases so far, full German and English audio and subtitles (that is also a unique feature of this set) and all episodes uncut.

They are considered “uncut” for the German audience, true...as several countries outside the U.S. edited & cut their episodes even more than the U.S. did for theirs...and they’ve recently gotten the U.S. versions. But, no home video set has true uncut or unedited episodes. All are syndicated reruns.

This Plaion/Koch set is the same as the U.S. versions already put out by Universal & Mill Creek...except some episodes are still the cut versions, as I believe Koch’s Pilot still had it split into 2 parts. The color scheme is also altered, as it seems more neon than pastel, and even the skin tone on some of the people & cast in scenes looks “greenish”. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

vor 1 Stunde schrieb ViceFanMan:

This Plaion/Koch set is the same as the U.S. versions already put out by Universal & Mill Creek...except some episodes are still the cut versions, as I believe Koch’s Pilot still had it split into 2 parts. The color scheme is also altered, as it seems more neon than pastel, and even the skin tone on some of the people & cast in scenes looks “greenish”. 

No it’s not. And the pilot is in one piece. Better if you educate yourself about the set before you contend wrong information without owning the set in question 

I have the set myself and there is no greenish or false color -in fact it’s the sharpest and most natural picture of the series I know, member SwissTubbs has eloborated on this already before in detail as Koch made a fully new scan of the original masters - but we all know your prejudice and your repeated false claims to this aspect and it is not worth to discuss the same all over.

You don’t like it- it’s ok. But let others the joy of getting the best set overall as Koch has spent huge effort into this compared to all others before and it shows.

Edited by Tom

On 11/17/2022 at 9:56 AM, Tom said:

No it’s not. And the pilot is in one piece. Better if you educate yourself about the set before you contend wrong information without owning the set in question 

I have the set myself and there is no greenish or false color -in fact it’s the sharpest and most natural picture of the series I know, member SwissTubbs has eloborated on this already before in detail as Koch made a fully new scan of the original masters - but we all know your prejudice and your repeated false claims to this aspect and it is not worth to discuss the same all over.

You don’t like it- it’s ok. But let others the joy of getting the best set overall as Koch has spent huge effort into this compared to all others before and it shows.

I have seen clips, pictures & stills of the Koch set...I have also talked with many others who got the set as well. The main complaints were the colors were altered to be neon & more bright/harsh, than the soft pastels that Mann envisioned the show to be & originally had, as well as the skin tone being “off” & kind of “greenish” in scenes. I’m not making this up. ;)

If this Plaion company has taken the Koch Pilot and put it back together as a TV movie, great...but before with Koch in the past I’d asked if the Pilot was split into 2 parts & titled “Brother’s Keeper”, and you said yes.

However, regardless if the Pilot is feature length or split...and regardless of what company/set you get, none are uncut/unedited. All the Plaion/Koch set is, is the Universal/Mill Creek versions we already have in the U.S., just with a somewhat altered color scheme. The price is also insane!! :eek: They need to lower it. 

Anyone & everyone can get & like whatever set they want. :funky: I just want fans (mainly for those in the U.S.) to understand what they’re getting, as well as the truth behind companies’ marketing schemes (such as Plaion/Koch’s “uncut” statement...which is not fully true or accurate). 

Edited by ViceFanMan

Did they fix the audio problems in the newer boxset?

My absolute films version has a lot of errors in the audio, which only seems to happen in episodes in the first 2 seasons.

Heart of Darkness - echo sounds

Great McCarthy - audio cut offs

Back in the World - horrible scratchy sound in the teaser, which actually broke my center speaker.

Evan - is not 5.1 (2.0)

Tale of the Goat - repeated sounds, which is so annoying.

3 to 5 is in superb quality though.

Edited by RedDragon86

Thanks for the update @SwissTubbs

Having had a closer look I think I’ll pass on purchasing this new release. I do have the Koch version and given the only real update is the outside artwork, I think I’ll give it a miss. For that price anyway. 
E6381501-12F9-4751-B1EB-E085E81D3ABB.thumb.jpeg.6dfce014c66aa25d7bcce11af1ecbe0a.jpeg

Comparing the two artworks, I’m not sold on the new design. There seems to be more consideration put into the Koch artwork. I’m a sucker for Elvis too :happy:

I guess technically the new release will have new disc content since the Koch media ident played at the start of each disc, which is now defunct. Likely will be replaced with the new company ident for this release. 

I don’t own the millcreek set so I don’t think it would be right for me to accurately compare that to the Koch one. I do still own the older UK bluray set released by Fabulous Entertainment in 2017. I can say that the Koch version holds better/sharper picture quality and audio :thumbsup:

• Like 1

vor 19 Stunden schrieb ViceFanMan:

I have seen clips, pictures & stills of the Koch set...I have also talked with many others who got the set as well. The main complaints were the colors were altered to be neon & more bright/harsh, than the soft pastels that Mann envisioned the show to be & originally had, as well as the skin tone being “off” & kind of “greenish” in scenes. I’m not making this up. ;)

If this Plaion company has taken the Koch Pilot and put it back together as a TV movie, great...but before with Koch in the past I’d asked if the Pilot was split into 2 parts & titled “Brother’s Keeper”, and you said yes.

However, regardless if the Pilot is feature length or split...and regardless of what company/set you get, none are uncut/unedited. All the Plaion/Koch set is, is the Universal/Mill Creek versions we already have in the U.S., just with a somewhat altered color scheme. The price is also insane!! :eek: They need to lower it. 

Anyone & everyone can get & like whatever set they want. :funky: I just want fans (mainly for those in the U.S.) to understand what they’re getting, as well as the truth behind companies’ marketing schemes (such as Plaion/Koch’s “uncut” statement...which is not fully true or accurate). 

It´s all ok if you dislike it, but don´t write reviews with false claims about products you don´t even have . That´s all.

• Like 2

vor 16 Stunden schrieb RedDragon86:

Did they fix the audio problems in the newer boxset?

My absolute films version has a lot of errors in the audio, which only seems to happen in episodes in the first 2 seasons.

Heart of Darkness - echo sounds

Great McCarthy - audio cut offs

Back in the World - horrible scratchy sound in the teaser, which actually broke my center speaker.

Evan - is not 5.1 (2.0)

Tale of the Goat - repeated sounds, which is so annoying.

3 to 5 is in superb quality though.

I am not aware of any audio problems with the Koch set. I own it myself. If I understood you right, you had problems with a different set?

Koch even fixed some audio glitches on the ORIGINAL masters, like a dropped sentence by Zito in Sons and lovers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Miami Beau:

Thanks for the update @SwissTubbs

Having had a closer look I think I’ll pass on purchasing this new release. I do have the Koch version and given the only real update is the outside artwork, I think I’ll give it a miss. For that price anyway. 
E6381501-12F9-4751-B1EB-E085E81D3ABB.thumb.jpeg.6dfce014c66aa25d7bcce11af1ecbe0a.jpeg

Comparing the two artworks, I’m not sold on the new design. There seems to be more consideration put into the Koch artwork. I’m a sucker for Elvis too :happy:

I guess technically the new release will have new disc content since the Koch media ident played at the start of each disc, which is now defunct. Likely will be replaced with the new company ident for this release. 

I don’t own the millcreek set so I don’t think it would be right for me to accurately compare that to the Koch one. I do still own the older UK bluray set released by Fabulous Entertainment in 2017. I can say that the Koch version holds better/sharper picture quality and audio :thumbsup:

If you already have the Koch set, then it makes of course no sense to buy it another time just for the new outside artwork. (my opinion), as this was the only thing they have changed. 

• Like 1

vor 21 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

So will they ship to US?

SwissTubbs showed me the official response from Koch to another potential buyer saying that they would love to, but are not allowed to due to license rights being granted by Universal only to sales in Europe.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

I am not aware of any audio problems with the Koch set. I own it myself. If I understood you right, you had problems with a different set?

Koch even fixed some audio glitches on the ORIGINAL masters, like a dropped sentence by Zito in Sons and lovers.

This is the one I have.

Miami Vice: The Complete Collection - 2

In the Koch boxset have the echoed sounds been fixed in Heart of Darkness? that would be a good sign overall.

These types of audio error spoil the experience for me and I love Heart of Darkness. Sick of hearing "Can't Turn Back" starting from the beginning for a second time in Tale of the Goat as well, ruins the moment. 

Edited by RedDragon86

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Can you tell me more about this?  Has it been discussed in another thread?