One person's ridicule of the show....

Scot from S.C.

Most of the people at my workplace know that I am a fan of the series, due to my dress and word of mouth from other people and myself. Well, I had a most interesting conversation the other day with a fellow coworker. They were going on about "C.S.I. Miami", and naturally I had to put a plug in for our show. Now mind you, I did not put down CSI, and in fact I stated that I sometimes watched it for the location and some of the interesting cases.The person then asked me how I could ever go back and watch the dvds of "Miami Vice" after watching a much more realistic show like C.S.I. At first, I thought that they were joking. Then I realized that they weren't, so I got on my soapbox and listed reasons why our beloved series was groundbreaking and in some ways more realistic than today's cop shows.They pointed out the fact that most people who have no idea about the show do, mainly how can Don Johnson's character (they rarely know either one of his names from the series), can drive around in a fancy car, wear those clothes, and live on a boat and have another boat. I quickly answered that easy question. Then they said that C.S.I.'s cases are solved by hardwork and logic, not some crazy storyline where the bad guy is always caught. I almost choked on this one. Of course, I retorted that the bad guy is not always caught on the show, which to me is much more realistic.I like C.S.I., but come on, everybody knows that the characters on there each are representing probably three separate jobs within a police department. I know a lab tech guy, and he stays in his lab all of the time. He often laughs about that point and the fact that thousands of college kids want to go in to the forensics field so they can be like the C.S.I. people. They finally concluded by saying that the acting on the show was horrible and cheesy. When I listed some of the notable people who graced our series, they just smiled and said it was a stepping stone for him/her and nothing more.Wow! Have any of you ever come across someone who is so anti-MV before, and if so, did they come across as arrogant about it? Is this sort of behavior the norm for John Q Public?

yeah, I get that in work alot too. People ask 'how can DJ drive around in a flash car if he's just a cop?' which has got to be the most annoying question of all time!!!! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Guest neworder

CSI Miami.... realistic? lol far from it, the stories are very widely far fetched, possibly not as much as Missing Hours but a higher proportion of stories are far fetched in CSI Miami compared to Vice.Acting Horrible and cheesy??? lol, well maybe not cheesy acting in CSI Miami but there are many instances of wooden acting.That all said I like CSI Miami quite a bit, not as much as Vice obviously. Most people I come across who talk about my Vice liking just tell me to roll my sleeves up...that seems to be the only thing it's renowned for with people I've come across lol.

Scot, your co-worker said CSI Miami was realistic ......but he forgot to mention boring! Caruso is a stiff! I haven't watched the show that much but everytime I did there was too much lab work & no action. I'd rather watch "Cops" In "The Home Invaders" I love the way Castillo & crew narrow down the source of the crimes to the Hair Emporium. Then the shootout at the end! Everything about Miami Vice is exciting....can't say the same about CSI. I hear even the scenery is fake from Calif. :)

Things I like about CSI Miami:- David Caruso's character throwing out a pun right before the opening credits, while either taking off or putting on his sunglasses. I always love how cheesy and hilariously bad that is. - You get to see a ton of hot chicks, either in bikinis or just in regular clothes.Well, that's about it. Basically, all of the CSI variants are nothing but pseudo-intelligentsia bull$hit that's supposed to make the average person feel smart from watching it. I wouldn't feel so negatively about the shows if they remotely had a sense of humor, but they don't. Every character in the original CSI looks like they're sucking a lemon (especially Marg Helgenberger. That might simply be the way she looks naturally. Still, I think's she's pretty hot otherwise). And the characters from the other two variants aren't too far behind in that department. And it all points the shows in general and their producers taking everything too seriously. So, as the late Heath Ledger's Joker once said, "Why....sooo...seriooussss!?!" I'd blame the mid-90's backlash against that 80's vibe; that backlash still lasts to this day. Most people apparently do not want to associate with the "corny" and "zany" 80's culture and vibe, just as the 80's folks did not want to associate with the "corny" 50's culture and vibe. We don't want to "be just like our parents" as teens and young adults, so we run towards something that is supposedly the opposite or different from what our parents used to like. The problem is that many of us don't run to what we like or what we truly feel is good stuff. We have a herd mentality: we either go to one group, or we feel lost. Which is partly why the CSI variants are watched by so many people. I also mentioned the "serious" nature of that show. I blame the Law and Order series for pushing that - no surprise that it was created by Dick Wolf, who no doubt wanted to push a "serious cop drama" after personally helming that clown of a cop drama, Miami Vice. Have you read the interviews with Wolf regarding Vice? He really did not like the show at all. But Wolf and the CSI producers are only feeding what they see: people who want to feel intelligent and serious by watching a "serious cop drama". Again: "why...sooo....seriousssss!?!" IMO, it plays out like this: we looked at how our parents dressed in the past - the 70's polyester shirts and leisure suits, the 80's pastel and shoulder pads, the 90's barrage of neon and bright colors (well, that's how I used to dress like as a kid). We, IMO, have this innate and crippling fear of being ridiculed by future generations just like we ridiculed our parents' past fashion choices and tastes. But at the same time, we're still sheep: we don't know where to turn to. If we go with the current herd, it's because it's not only the popular thing to do, but at least the herd is different from our parents' herd. Hence, why people today wear those ridiculous tattoo-print shirts, why people supposedly listen to bland top-40 hip-hop (contrary to the belief on this board, there actually is good hip-hop) or other genres, and why people religiously watch the CSI and Law and Order variants. To sum: it's different from what our parents watched, thank God, but at least we're still doing what's popular. So who still like Miami Vice or dresses up in 80's clothing? Two people: people who genuinely like or love the show and the era, and hipsters. Hipsters are sheep who do things only for those nebulous "ironic" values, and who simply want to contradict the current culture. Many on this forum don't like the current culture, but love the 80's culture; hipsters don't like the current culture, and will like anything that isn't the current culture. Examples? As mentioned, hipsters are sheep, so if the current "hip" fad is to dress backwards like Kriss-Kross, most will do it. Of course, hipsters being hipsters, this fad will become too popular and they will think of something else to replace it. It appears that the current hipster fad is sporting a beer belly on a thin frame. Before, hipsters were overwhelmingly skinny or skinny-buff. This was to counter both the obese majority of Americans and those fitness junkies who get ridiculously ripped. But it appears that too many hipsters became skinny twigs, so many have simply started to develop a beer gut to stay "hip" and not be sheep like the other skinny hipsters. It's still herd mentality either if follow a trend, or if you do everything to not follow a trend.

• Administrators

I've gotten the same reactions to Vice. It usually turns out that they're closet fans who are, for some reason, ashamed to admit it. Most likely men who are too insecure to wear pastels.As for CSI Miami, can't stand it. I love the original show based in Vegas but they should take a cue from Vice & "Burn Notice" and show a little more Miami scenery. The 1st (and last) time I watched CSI Miami I barely recognized the skyline with their washed out colors. I swear they must have a yellow lens filter on their cameras!I'm also amazed how David Caruso, who was so excellent on "N.Y.P.D. Blue" could be so bad on CSI Miami! If they told him he wasn't allowed to wear sunglasses or place his hands on his hips he'd have nothing to do.

If they told him he wasn't allowed to wear sunglasses or place his hands on his hips he'd have nothing to do.

LOL!!Eingefügtes Bild

Things I like about CSI Miami:- David Caruso's character throwing out a pun right before the opening credits' date=' while either taking off or putting on his sunglasses......QUOTE']Very well said indeed!I agree that many newer generations wish to be separate from their former generations beit hippies, rockers, genX or whatever.You are correct that some like to bend away from the mainstream and will dress like the eighties to be different yet cool.Last week I saw a kid with a mohawk haircut and all spiked up in purple and black spikes. It looked rather silly actually, but all I could think about was he was about thirty years too late, considering his sixteen or seventeen year old frame???

my wife won't even watch csi miami with me because i make my own horatio lines for just about every scene. i can never top his, though, which makes it even funnier.

David Caruso - I like the actor. His Lt. Castillo impersonation on CSI: Miami doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that the show is set in Miami but filmed in La-La Land using dark orange filters on the camera lenses so everyone looks like walking popsicles. Not a very exciting show - IMO not Caruso's fault. The ep's that have actually been filmed in Miami I will watch. Otherwise, I'd just as soon watch NCIS which stars Mark Harmon, whom I understand was considered for the part of Sonny Crockett.F-Man unwittingly coined a phrase - CSI is short for "Can't Stand It"People Who Don't "Get" Vice - I don't "get" them, won't even try. It's entertainment, people. If you want realism, go down to yer local police station - you'll probably be bored outta your mind in no time. Or try Vice '06 - according to Michael Mann that was very realistic...

The police tactics used in MIAMI VICE from proper use of firearms, and police dialog jargon was, in fact, advised by the dade county police dept to get the proper, and accurate policys down. That was very real according to many, including JURRASIC NARC who says much of the police stuff is accurate. (Jurrasic Narc was an undercover vice cop) Everyone STILL says that there is no way a cop could afford the car and clothes. They were not fans, and do NOT understand that they DON'T own the stuff, it's confiscated items belonging to the dept. that loan them out for the sake of undercover work. (Unfortunately, that aspect was only mentioned once or twice during the series, and most casual watchers didn't know it)If they say the acting was bad, ask them why then DON JOHNSON was nominated for BEST ACTOR in a drama, EJO nominated for BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, and why MIAMI VICE was nominated for BEST DRAMA, and why the show won 15 EMMY NOMINATIONS in only it's first year (More than Cheers and HILL STREET BLUES).Tell them to put that in thier LUCKY STRIKE, and smoke it!Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

I like watching CSI, CSI Miami, and CSI New York, but I don´t think one can compare it with Miami Vice. These series are as different as day and night. CSI is interesting, but Miami Vice is the greatest series of all times. Sometimes when I watch Horacio Cane I think that he tries to behave like Sonny, but he never succeeds.

Guest neworder

One thing that annoys me with my Uni mates and people of my age is they laugh at Miami Vice and say it's awful and I'm like have you ever seen it? Most of them answer and say yes, and I'm like which season have you seen and they are like eh? no Miami Vice is a movie..... there are some that know it for a TV show but most know it as the movie. I think if the movie had been absolutely amazing, which it wasn't, then the TV show would be looked upon more lightely and more positively.

The police tactics used in MIAMI VICE from proper use of firearms' date=' and police dialog jargon was, in fact, advised by the dade county police dept to get the proper, and accurate policys down. That was very real according to many, including JURRASIC NARC who says much of the police stuff is accurate. (Jurrasic Narc was an undercover vice cop) Everyone STILL says that there is no way a cop could afford the car and clothes. They were not fans, and do NOT understand that they DON'T own the stuff, it's confiscated items belonging to the dept. that loan them out for the sake of undercover work. (Unfortunately, that aspect was only mentioned once or twice during the series, and most casual watchers didn't know it)If they say the acting was bad, ask them why then DON JOHNSON was nominated for BEST ACTOR in a drama, EJO nominated for BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR, and why MIAMI VICE was nominated for BEST DRAMA, and why the show won 15 EMMY NOMINATIONS in only it's first year (More than Cheers and HILL STREET BLUES).Tell them to put that in thier LUCKY STRIKE, and smoke it!
AND MOST OF ALL--MIAMI VICE WAS ACTUALLY FILMED IN MIAMI!!!CSI Miami is filmed in LA, using minimal footage on location. And the leaps that are made from the "evidence" recovered would be bounced out of court in many of the cases. Tell your friends they don't have a clue about realism if they think CSI Miami is even close.

Guest neworder
CSI Miami is filmed in LA' date=' using minimal footage on location. And the leaps that are made from the "evidence" recovered would be bounced out of court in many of the cases. Tell your friends they don't have a clue about realism if they think CSI Miami is even close.[/quote']There are certain episodes where all the exterior shots with the characters are in Miami rather than L.A especially so in earlier seasons. Maybe 7/8 episodes in Seasons 2/3 are in Miami!

• Administrators

It seems to me the ones that never saw the show are the ones that say they don't like it the most. Well, if you never really sat down and watched it, how can you say it is no good? :confused:

Tell them to put that in thier LUCKY STRIKE' date=' and smoke it![/quote']Alternately, you can tell them to take their CSI Miami DVDs and shove it up their ass.

I'm too polite to do that. :)

Who am I to tell someone that doesn't like MIAMI VICE to shove dvds up thier butt?I'd just move on, and spend the time with those that do.I don't waste my time with people who do me wrong, or say bad things about my favorite show.Also. I hold grudges.

Alright then' date=' .... "ANTI-VICERS" Suck :thumbsdown:[/quote']Let's just say, "They don't know what they're missing!" Also, "They'll never know what it means to be cool!" :cool: