One person's ridicule of the show....

Scot from S.C.

Hey Cagey, I just looked at your website....very nice! I like the music especially the jazz. " Walking through the mall on a Wed. afternoon," was profound. Glad I clicked on it!

Thanks for the kind words! Remember: the trust fund check is the most important thing in that picture. There are no hipsters without it....well, at least not a huge colony of them in Williamsburg et. al. For the past year, with the market in the tank, they have been forced to actually get a real job and abandon those $4,000+ a month lofts.

Hey Cagey' date=' I just looked at your website....very nice! I like the music especially the jazz. " Walking through the mall on a Wed. afternoon," was profound. Glad I clicked on it![/quote']Thanks dude!My dream is: after winning the lotto, to be a professional critic, writing 80s concert/restaurant/business reviews and to quit blogging!

A lot of CSI Miami's filming is done in Long Beach, California because of that area's resemblance to Miami. It's only a vague resemblance though. The houses don't like anything like Miami Beach housesEingefügtes Bild

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have any encounters with "MV"-haters. (In fact, I didn't really discussed the show with many people - maybe I'm not that great a fan as I should be, after all :D). If I did, I wouldn't start a war, because tastes differ, but would probably think of them as arrogant and impolite, because I hate people who think that everyone shoud have the same interests as they do. If someone just says they don't like "MV" without being arrogant, it will be absolutely all right with me. As for the "serious" cop shows, I see absolutely no harm in them - crime itself usually is tragic and serious thing, especially when it concernes taking someone's life, and I don't see the point why we should humor it all the time. I don't watch CSI, not because it's bad, but just because I don't want to get hooked on another show (but believe me - I would watch every episode if DJ was there!:fireworks:), I watched some of "Law & Order" and rather liked it. In fact I don't know what is so "non-serious" about MV - they had some humor and funny moments, of course, but the whole atmosphere of the show was rather dramatic, not comic. (Those who disagree try "Nash Bridges"... and if you're still not satisfied, watch some "Police Academy"! LOLOL)Speaking of "realism", there's one thing that really bugs me: I just don't get how undercover cops could spend hours in the police station, write reports, etc., just like regular cops, without their cover blown! I've read that they had real police officers instructing them, etc., but it's almost impossible to believe, anyway. (No matter how bad can "Miami Vice" movie be, at this particular point it seemed more realistic to me, because Crockett and Tubbs met with Castillo in special places and didn't go to the police station).

Hi Cheetah, The way I understand, the police station or OCB was undercover as an Import - Export Co. , so maybe that explains how C&T's covers weren't blown.

Wow! Guess I'm even more inattentive than I thought I was... :rolleyes: Thank you very much, Tony D! And can you please give me a clue - in which episodes was it discussed or otherwise indicated? :confused: If you remember...

Wasn't the name on the front "GOLD COAST SHIPPING CO."?It was not a regular police station, but an undercover front that the VICE unit used as it's headquarters seperate from the police station.Also, if you want to be technical, CROCKETT AND TUBBS were NOT with the police, they were SHERIFF deputies (so were Castillo, zito, switek, gina, trudy, and everyone else in that undercover division.)It makes it confusing when you hear Crockett yell to a judge, "I'M A POLICE OFFICER! ...I'M A POLICE OFFICER!!!" in "Give a little, Take a little".

The palm trees look different between Florida and California as well. Although I've been to Florida, I've never been to California, but I've seen endless American tv shows and films that have been filmed there, and there's a distinct difference.

Also' date=' if you want to be technical, CROCKETT AND TUBBS were NOT with the police, they were SHERIFF deputies (so were Castillo, zito, switek, gina, trudy, and everyone else in that undercover division.)It makes it confusing when you hear Crockett yell to a judge, "I'M A POLICE OFFICER! ...I'M A POLICE OFFICER!!!" in "Give a little, Take a little".[/quote']What's the difference between police and sheriff deputies? :confused: I mean - I can see there is some, but I don't know all those technicalities...

I'm not an expert in the difference. They are similar. However it's a seperate entity, and seperately financed by the city (or county) in the U.S..They work together closely, but are run seperately with different rules and regulations.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that police are in a general district such as the "City of..." or the "Municipality of..." whereas Sherrifs have more jurisdiction area such as in the show "DADE COUNTY" with County being the key word.They would work with Miami Police, but if you watch the show closely, you see when the green and white vans and cars come out they say "Dade County Sherrifs Department" not "Miami Police: although you do see other officers drive the Dodge cars that say that in many episodes which are black and white or blue and whites.In Ontario we have city police such as a city like Toronto. Then we have Regional Police such as the Region of Niagara that cover many cities and larger area, then of course we have the Provincial Police called the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police)Our Federal Police is the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and yes people they still ride horses but use cars mostly. [Remember Dudley Do-Right?] :)And of course how can we forget our favourite villan "Snidley Whiplash" the local "Bondage Practioner" ... Always tyeing poor girls to the RR tracks!!!

post-35-13892962980946_thumb.jpg

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that police are in a general district such as the "City of..." or the "Municipality of..." whereas Sherrifs have more jurisdiction area such as in the show "DADE COUNTY" with County being the key word.They would work with Miami Police' date=' but if you watch the show closely, you see when the green and white vans and cars come out they say "Dade County Sherrifs Department" not "Miami Police: although you do see other officers drive the Dodge cars that say that in many episodes which are black and white or blue and whites.[/quote']QFT. How's this for police overkill:On Martha's Vineyard there are six towns, each with their own police force. The whole Island is also known as "Dukes County" and have a sherrif's dept. We also have a State Police station. Eight police stations on an island that's shorter (in length) than the Boston Marathon.

Actually, only on Martha's Vineyard. The town politics are such that there's no freaking way we could have an all-island police force. The only "Regional" things we have are the Sherrifs Dept. and the High School. Although, up until 30 yrs ago, every town had their own HS as well. :rolleyes:

What's the difference between police and sheriff deputies? :confused: I mean - I can see there is some' date=' but I don't know all those technicalities...[/quote']Police officers are officials who enforce criminal laws and certain local regulations on behalf of a specific jurisdiction. Police may represent a city, a county or a state. Sheriffs and their deputies are officers of the court, and have jurisdiction in a single county. The US Marshals serve the same function on a federal level. In Dade County, Florida, the Sheriff was also the Chief of the County Police (for more information on this you can check out the details on Wikipedia, which explains how Dade County law enforcement operates differently than all the other counties in Florida). So, while Crockett is a Deputy Sheriff, it is in fact correct for him to identify himself as a Police Officer. Narcs also tend to use the term Police to identify themselves as this is an almost universal term, and more easily recognized even by some non-english speakers.
  • Like 1

Police officers are officials who enforce criminal laws and certain local regulations on behalf of a specific jurisdiction. Police may represent a city' date=' a county or a state. Sheriffs and their deputies are officers of the court, and have jurisdiction in a single county. The US Marshals serve the same function on a federal level. In Dade County, Florida, the Sheriff was also the Chief of the County Police (for more information on this you can check out the details on Wikipedia, which explains how Dade County law enforcement operates differently than all the other counties in Florida). So, while Crockett is a Deputy Sheriff, it is in fact correct for him to identify himself as a Police Officer. Narcs also tend to use the term Police to identify themselves as this is an almost universal term, and more easily recognized even by some non-english speakers.[/quote']My good friend, You REALLY need a thread on here all your own for questions and answers for a cop.You just know so much, and much more than any of us.Thank you for always being there, and clearing things up that we can't.Your very unique here.P.S. I love your car. ;)

Good explanation JN!I tired to explain but in Ontario we have a bit of a different situation here that you guys in the States.Did you know that if you are being chased by a regional cop for lets say a traffic infringement, and you go out on the highway, he in essense has no jurisdiciton to give you a ticket now. An OPP officer must pull you over and submit the ticket on any major multi-lane highway. (many people do not know or understand this and the line is so fine that really it takes a lawyer to figure it out!!!:oAnother neat thing here is the Welland Canal. There is a regional road that follows the length of the Canal parallel to it. My friend was flying down the road one day on this 45 mph sideroad, doing about 90! Cops pulled him over and tried to give him a ticket. He took it to court and beat it!!!He works for the St Lawrence Seaway and that is the Seaway property actually. He was told that ship "so and so" was in lock "so and so" and he had only minutes to get there to board it, so thus the speeding. This ONLY holds true to Seaway employees as this is a public access road for all to use.I found this very interesting?????

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't believe nobody ever caught this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glvGfQnx3DICSI Realistic? Driving Hummers and actually doing arrests? Gimmie a break.In all probability, these are vapid people who watch whatever's cool at the time and turn their nose up at anything they can't look hip/trendy doing one liners off of while hanging out at the water cooler. They probably watched Miami Vice...then moved on to Friends.

I can't believe nobody ever caught this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glvGfQnx3DICSI Realistic? Driving Hummers and actually doing arrests? Gimmie a break.In all probability' date=' these are vapid people who watch whatever's cool at the time and turn their nose up at anything they can't look hip/trendy doing one liners off of while hanging out at the water cooler. They probably watched Miami Vice...then moved on to Friends.[/quote']Thanks Sarge. I've seen it before, maybe on this site but it is worth watching again. Shows what an idiot Caruso is.