Episode #4 "Hit List"

Ferrariman

1 minute ago, RedDragon86 said:

I actually prefer the Daytona even though it is fake, looks more cool and better with the top down and the key thing, inconspicuous. The thing what I don't understand is why didn't the production team buy a real one, I think between 1978-1983 the price range was $35-50k.

They probably could’ve bought one eventually, but right at the beginning I don’t think the production team had that much money to spare for that, LOL. MV didn’t really start making the money till probably towards the end of season one after the onset of the huge popularity and ratings. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I actually prefer the Daytona even though it is fake, looks more cool and better with the top down and the key thing, inconspicuous. The thing what I don't understand is why didn't the production team buy a real one, I think between 1978-1983 the price range was $35-50k.

I think it also looks......... good to a certain extenct, but, as my forum profile picture indicates, I like the Testarossa much more than that filthy Corvette "Daytona".  If it was a real Daytona, I'd say, in the first seasons context, that is just as good as the Testarossa, but that poor attempt to disguise the Corvette really angered me, on how cheap they went, even when they had the highest budget.

I think the Ferrari Testarossa was a neccesary change, as the series also went through serious changes beggining season 3. Both the literal and figurative sense of "Darker" athmoshpere fits very well with the Testarossa. Also, it being white showed much better in night scenes, not to mention, that it is a newer car, with a new innovative design, and also better performance than a Ferrari Daytona (duh, it's appeared 12-14 years after the Daytona). 

Ironically, the filthy Corvette is stated to have a better engine performance than an actual Daytona.

The "Daytona" fits better the season 1 and 2 athmoshpere, with that top down, in the both figgurative and litteral context. In the latter 3 seasons we got colder athmoshperes, that were set, more in the night.

I really like how the "Daytona" looked in the beggining of "Out where the buses don't run", as an example of when I think that the converitble nature of the car was actually helpful in the overall aspect. 

9 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

They probably could’ve bought one eventually, but right at the beginning I don’t think the production team had that much money to spare for that, LOL. MV didn’t really start making the money till probably towards the end of season one after the onset of the huge popularity and ratings. 

I think they should've bought a real Ferrari, and get it ready for the 2nd season beggining. As we all know, S1 and 2 had many good guest stars, and the MOST music used in the series. And those, are not cheap. These 2 are just an example of the increased budget in the beggining.

The latter seasons had a decrease in good music, and other aspects, because of the dropping audience, that led to a smaller budget to actually work with, so it's not a really valid excuse that they didn't have enough $ in the beggining. 

Also, the first 2 seasons are so consistent, because of the episodes, and almost none are bad. Why ? Talented writers, artists, and actors that are paid consistently to do a good job. If they found the $ for all of these, I'm sure they could've spent a bit more on the main characters' car.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 9:13 PM, Adrian321 said:

I think it also looks......... good to a certain extenct, but, as my forum profile picture indicates, I like the Testarossa much more than that filthy Corvette "Daytona".  If it was a real Daytona, I'd say, in the first seasons context, that is just as good as the Testarossa, but that poor attempt to disguise the Corvette really angered me, on how cheap they went, even when they had the highest budget.

I think the Ferrari Testarossa was a neccesary change, as the series also went through serious changes beggining season 3. Both the literal and figurative sense of "Darker" athmoshpere fits very well with the Testarossa. Also, it being white showed much better in night scenes, not to mention, that it is a newer car, with a new innovative design, and also better performance than a Ferrari Daytona (duh, it's appeared 12-14 years after the Daytona). 

Ironically, the filthy Corvette is stated to have a better engine performance than an actual Daytona.

The "Daytona" fits better the season 1 and 2 athmoshpere, with that top down, in the both figgurative and litteral context. In the latter 3 seasons we got colder athmoshperes, that were set, more in the night.

I really like how the "Daytona" looked in the beggining of "Out where the buses don't run", as an example of when I think that the converitble nature of the car was actually helpful in the overall aspect. 

Your profile picture must be from Kilshot. That's the scene where Crockett stops at a Cuban cafe to meet Silvio before he kicks the crap out of him :D

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Your profile picture must be from Kilshot. That's the scene where Crockett stops at a Cuban cafe to meet Silvio before he kicks the crap out of him :D

This seemed to be the "SexiesT(estarossa)" angle I could think of.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Adrian321 said:

This seemed to be the "SexiesT(estarossa)" angle I could think of.

On that note, here’s a photo I took earlier this year. :cool:

C2EF0630-60C4-4CAD-BC47-FEF9B3D029BE.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/19/2021 at 1:58 AM, Dadrian said:

On that note, here’s a photo I took earlier this year. :cool:

C2EF0630-60C4-4CAD-BC47-FEF9B3D029BE.jpeg

Damn...... noice................ Is this the car used on the show, or is it just another similar model of Ferrari Testarossa ?

1 hour ago, Adrian321 said:

Damn...... noice................ Is this the car used on the show, or is it just another similar model of Ferrari Testarossa ?

It’s basically just the same exterior color. The MV Testarossas were 1986 models with the single “flying mirror” on the driver’s side (“Monospecchio”) and parchment interior. This one was a 1989 model with two regular mirrors and white interior. 

22 hours ago, Dadrian said:

It’s basically just the same exterior color. The MV Testarossas were 1986 models with the single “flying mirror” on the driver’s side (“Monospecchio”) and parchment interior. This one was a 1989 model with two regular mirrors and white interior. 

Well......... the 80's Ferrari Testarossas do look similar between one another, so it is really easy to confuse them. From what I know, the 1986 model has a gear shift shaped in a line ? And the 1989 model has the regular "H" shape ?

For all the ways that "Brother's Keeper" changed television, "The Hit List" might be the episode of the show that most resembles what TV is now. It's the first episode of a two-parter, but "The Hit List" and "Calderone's Demise" are basically two different episodes. Sure, the story continues between the two, but they play like two continuous episodes in a modern season of TV; continuing plot threads, but with each episode basically being its own entity, with two completely different feelings and aesthetics and sets of supporting cast members to deal with in each. To the best of my knowledge, with all the TV I've gone back and watched, this is the first time something like this was done on TV in this particular way, outside of one-year miniseries.

This is definitely the better of the two by some distance. The coolness with which the hitman operates, even though he's a bad guy, is awesome. We get one of the first, if not THE first, examples of the Mozambique Drill - two in the chest, one in the head - when he takes down the chauffeur at the beginning, and he executes it in less than a second. I think my only issues with this hour are that the fistfight in the club is a bit silly, and at the very end, I would've much rather had Crockett take down the hitman, who after being ruthless, meticulous badass, kinda turns suddenly into an impulsive, spray-and-pray, panicky idiot when he goes to Crockett's house and just starts shooting the place up.

Still, really great. The scene where Rodriguez takes the bullet for Crockett is a series highlight for me. I know people harp on Rodriguez a lot and obviously we get Castillo as a result of his departure, but I really appreciated Gregory Sierra's work as the no-nonsense hardass boss, and he goes down saving someone who was, at the end of the day, a friend. And I kinda look at the whole situation with him leaving the show as really apropos to it as well. I get that he left because he didn't like living in Miami, but his character getting killed suddenly and replaced with a shady, cool-as-cucumber character like Castillo is just... right. It just feels right for Miami Vice.

Also really sad to hear of Gregory Sierra's passing in January. 8.5/10 for me, I'd rank this just above "Heart of Darkness" among the season 1 episodes so far (I'm up to "Give a Little, Take a Little" on this rewatch).

• 2 weeks later...

I have said this before...and I still stand by it. I know I’m probably in the minority & there are many more “famous” episodes that MV is known for, and that I also love...but the 2-parter (Hit List & Calderone’s Demise) is/are my favorite episode/s of the series! :done: 

They were later retitled “Calderone’s Return” Pts. 1&2 for syndication...which I still don’t understand why? But, that’s how they are on the DVD set, as well. However, I also happen to have an NBC TV movie version broadcast later in May of 1985, titled The Return of Calderone—which combined the two parts. It’s amazing!! :dance2:

I love the Pilot, and you have to have it to understand these episodes...but there’s something about “Return of Calderone” (which I will refer to for both “Hit List” & “Demise”) that just fascinates me and totally captivates what MV was about! :clap:

There’s action, sizzle, the Miami-Caribbean ‘flavor’, witty dialogue, the fashion & MV colors, the plot and/or storyline/s were superb, the depth of character & seriousness with Crockett and his family—Tubbs & his struggle with Angelina—and the whole team with the death of Lt. Rodriguez, the background music & tunes used, etc...it’s just all fascinating!! :glossy: 

However, one thing I notice is that originally Tubbs has some wild, freaky mask (sort of a cross between the ‘Predator’ & ‘Jeepers Creepers’ :p) for the masquerade party in the Bahamas...then later at the actual party he & Crockett are both wearing matching skull masks?? But, oh well...in reality he could have changed his mind, and he and Sonny decided to get matching masks. 

I’ve also mentioned this before, but I still find the scene where Sonny & Caroline decide to try and stay together, and fire their lawyers interesting...as when they’re walking away from the courthouse Caroline reaches out and swats/spanks the butt of a horse a patrolling cop is riding. I’m like...what?? I’d of been scared that’d startle the horse & cause it to kick me & buck the cop off, lol!! :)

But, I just love the entire 2-parts/2hr length storyline! The ‘Argentinian’ assassin is interesting but creepy in his own way, Linus Oliver cracks me up (wish he could’ve been used later as an informant instead of Noogie), the suspense of not knowing when/where/how the assassin will strike, and I believe this was the episode/s that first introduced Crockett’s Theme:radio:  The original 2nd part, “Demise” was also the first episode to have the first version of the well-known MV logo—and first include the famous MV theme! But, ironically there’s not many famous songs by well-known artists at the time (other than Russ Ballard’s Voices)...but to me, the music created for it, & Crockett’s Theme makes up for that just fine. ;) 

I originally gave this, and “Demise” 10s...I still stand by that! :thumbsup: 

D2FA7BBD-3FBC-4BA5-8B39-39031EC135B3.jpeg

5566FBE4-835B-4DA2-B609-5E0E70010C8B.jpeg

08473639-E91F-4CEF-AC1D-F3D32D7202FA.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

Adding to my post right above...two funny aspects and/or quirks with these episode/s are: #1 Who smokes a cigarette while trying to shave?? :eek: I’d sooo slice myself up. At the beginning I always laugh while Crockett is shaving, while trying to smoke a cig and talk with Tubbs...all at the same time! :) #2 While talking with Linus Oliver, Crockett sarcastically says he likes being out in the open—in the sun, plenty of vitamin C. It’s actually natural vitamin D the sun provides, not C. ;) 

• 4 months later...

Calderone's Return part 1 - a season 1 highlight.  

There's lots to like: Jim Zubiena's super fast shooting of the chauffeur; one of my favorite MV songs, Russ Ballard's "In the Night"; and, as a Sonny/Caroline shipper, some great scenes between them. (I especially like the sharp sunny scene by the lighthouse.) The disco sequence is memorable: Ron Taylor's Linus (I wish he hadn't been killed off; he could've been a good recurring character), the fight scene(Trudy gives and receives punches, Zito "cooling off" the rowdy), the cutaways to the blankly staring yuppies...

Someone mentioned on another thread that while Gregory Sierra is a welcome performer, Lou Rodriguez was too conventional a lieutenant.  He gets a sad, heroic sacrifice - I'm not happy that he's gone, but it does pave the way for Olmos' extraordinary Castillo.  

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 8/23/2021 at 5:29 AM, Jack Gretsky said:

Calderone's Return part 1 - a season 1 highlight.  

There's lots to like: Jim Zubiena's super fast shooting of the chauffeur; one of my favorite MV songs, Russ Ballard's "In the Night"; and, as a Sonny/Caroline shipper, some great scenes between them. (I especially like the sharp sunny scene by the lighthouse.) The disco sequence is memorable: Ron Taylor's Linus (I wish he hadn't been killed off; he could've been a good recurring character), the fight scene(Trudy gives and receives punches, Zito "cooling off" the rowdy), the cutaways to the blankly staring yuppies...

Someone mentioned on another thread that while Gregory Sierra is a welcome performer, Lou Rodriguez was too conventional a lieutenant.  He gets a sad, heroic sacrifice - I'm not happy that he's gone, but it does pave the way for Olmos' extraordinary Castillo.  

Jim had a small role in "Manhunter" 

Jim Zubiena in Manhunter (Ludovici Armstrong) - Cast - The Miami Vice  Community

Awesome episode! it's that good it's up there with "Brothers Keeper" and "Evan"

10/10.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Watching this one again tonight on my Blu-ray set, and I actually noticed something I’ve never noticed before—and this, along with part 2 “Demise”, being  my favorite episodes, do you know how many times I have watched them, lol? :D But, when Crockett and Tubbs are chasing Linus Oliver in his Mercedes, there’s a couple quick scenes where it looks like Sonny’s Daytona Spyder has the right/passenger side bumper piece hanging down! :eek:  For whatever reason, I have never noticed this before! Was one of the kit-cars coming apart?:) Anyway, I found this interesting, if not somewhat humorous. Here are some pics...sorry for the poor quality, but I snapped them really quick with my cell phone off of the TV while it was on pause:  

4A319681-5532-4734-8CB7-85838B6D2015.jpeg

58AA4C9F-9FCB-45C2-BF5C-6B3D4EDD49C2.jpeg

A0755499-0FD2-4AB9-98A5-2B3200AC8B15.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Was Gina in the Daytona with Tubbs in the race to Sonny's place?

I had always assumed Tubbs was alone and the others caught up to him moments later.

But there is a moment in one shot where it looks like there's a passenger in the daytona. Also, when all the cops outside shoot the Argentinian, Gina is positioned in cover behind the Daytona.

I only highlight it because, after all these years I was surprised to notice something I had not noticed before. I'm curious if anyone else had, (like me), just assumed Tubbs was alone in the Daytona?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fakespyder said:

I had always assumed Tubbs was alone and the others caught up to him moments later.

But there is a moment in one shot where it looks like there's a passenger in the daytona. Also, when all the cops outside shoot the Argentinian, Gina is positioned in cover behind the Daytona.

I only highlight it because, after all these years I was surprised to notice something I had not noticed before. I'm curious if anyone else had, (like me), just assumed Tubbs was alone in the Daytona?

I’ve noticed & thought about this before as well. I actually think Gina rode with Tubbs in the Daytona to Caroline’s house. But once there she joined backup & other officers outside, while Tubbs ventured inside to try and help Crockett. As you stated you can see 2 people in the Daytona during the drive/race there, and Tubbs & Gina had left together from OCB once they realized Sonny was still in danger & the Argentinian was still on the loose.

Did we ever learn the Argentinian’s name?? ?(

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

Did we ever learn the Argentinian’s name?? ?(

Ludovitch Armstrong? I'm watching the second part tonight.:p

Edited by fakespyder
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, fakespyder said:

There two split shots in the rescue chase where you see someone in the passenger side, it's not Sandra but you have to assume it is Gina and intended that way :thumbsup:

Gina was definitely suppose to be in Sonny's car with Tubbs.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

There two split shots in the rescue chase where you see someone in the passenger side, it's not Sandra but you have to assume it is Gina and intended that way :thumbsup:

Gina was definitely suppose to be in Sonny's car with Tubbs.

36 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@RedDragon86 @fakespyder @ViceFanMan

The people in the car are the stunt driver and Michael Talbott (Switek). I think the story has been discussed here another thread, but I’ll tell it again if you like. :thumbsup:

Well, regardless if in reality it was stunt drivers in the Daytona racing to Caroline’s house...in the episode/story it’s supposed to be Tubbs & Gina. ;) 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, fakespyder said:

Ludovitch Armstrong? I'm watching the second part tonight.:p

Oh yeah...I remember the last name now. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dadrian said:

@RedDragon86 @fakespyder @ViceFanMan

The people in the car are the stunt driver and Michael Talbott (Switek). I think the story has been discussed here another thread, but I’ll tell it again if you like. :thumbsup:

I should have known the people here already were aware.:redface:

When I watched it the other night on Blu Ray and a huge Television, I thought I'd stumbled onto something. For all these years I thought Tubbs was alone in the Daytona.

It is nice to come across new details.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

I should have known the people here already were aware.:redface:

When I watched it the other night on Blu Ray and a huge Television, I thought I'd stumbled onto something. For all these years I thought Tubbs was alone in the Daytona.

It is nice to come across new details.

The Blu-ray set is pretty cool about showing some details that maybe previously were not as apparent. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...