Episode #25 "Out Where The Buses Don't Run"

Ferrariman

It's just hit me last night after watching this after a dozen times that the scene where Hank invites C&T into his home, its like he is himself entombed behind a wall, just like Arcaro seeing the damage plaster walls and wind blowing and everything. The way he is living is maybe a sign of guilt or that in some way he is living with Arcaro's ghost.

This was certainly intentional by the director. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

It's just hit me last night after watching this after a dozen times that the scene where Hank invites C&T into his home, its like he is himself entombed behind a wall, just like Arcaro seeing the damage plaster walls and wind blowing and everything. The way he is living is maybe a sign of guilt or that in some way he is living with Arcaro's ghost.

This was certainly intentional by the director. 

Interesting...perhaps? It was an old fancy (in its day) apartment building once owned by Arcaro. I always felt that once Hank lost his mind completely, he bought it and lived in it to supposedly stay close to Arcaro’s thoughts & way of thinking...to supposedly catch him at some point. But, maybe ‘Lorraine’ being behind an old wall was his subconscious “telling” on himself in some way? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Interesting...perhaps? It was an old fancy (in its day) apartment building once owned by Arcaro. I always felt that once Hank lost his mind completely, he bought it and lived in it to supposedly stay close to Arcaro’s thoughts & way of thinking...to supposedly catch him at some point. But, maybe ‘Lorraine’ being behind an old wall was his subconscious “telling” on himself in some way? 

Where does it say that it was owned by Arcaro?

Or Implied?

Edited by RedDragon86

44 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Where does it say that it was owned by Arcaro?

Or Implied?

In the episode. It’s stated the building had been previously owned by Acaro...and that’s basically why Weldon eventually bought it.

Edited by ViceFanMan

Just now, RedDragon86 said:

What scene.

I don’t remember “exactly” what scene, lol...sometime after C&T learn where he & ‘Lorraine’ are at. But it is stated in the episode. Watch it again. ;) 

Surely you must know what scene if you are so sure.

I just watched this like days ago and no way do  mention in any detail about his home.

Edited by RedDragon86

5 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Surely you must know what scene if you are so sure.

I just watched this like days ago and no way do  mention in any detail about his home.

I have watched this episode a “million” times as it is one of my favorites, and if it was not stated in the episode by all means I would not say so! I have not memorized exactly what scene and what part of the episode it’s stated, but yes it is stated! Later on this evening if I get a chance I will get my episode back out and try to record the part of the episode where it’s stated. Otherwise, I suggest you get out your copy of the episode and watch it again. ;)

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

I have watched this episode a “million” times as it is one of my favorites, and if it was not stated in the episode by all means I would not say so! I have not memorized exactly what scene and what part of the episode it’s stated, but yes it is stated! Later on this evening if I get a chance I will get my episode back out and try to record the part of the episode where it’s stated. Otherwise, I suggest you get out your copy of the episode and watch it again. ;)

Where does it state that Hank is living in an Alcaro building? lets not beat around the bush here.

6 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Where does it state that Hank is living in an Alcaro building? lets not beat around the bush here.

Lol!!! :) Okay, I am in the middle of watching a movie! I don’t have time at the moment to look up the exact scene in the episode. If you really want to know, I repeat myself, get out your episode and watch it in full again and know where it’s stated! :baby: Otherwise, if I get a chance yet this evening, after my movie, I will try and look it up and let you know. :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan

15 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Lol!!! :) Okay, I am in the middle of watching a movie! I don’t have time at the moment to look up the exact scene in the episode. If you really want to know, I repeat myself, get out your episode and watch it in full again and know where it’s stated! :baby: Otherwise, if I get a chance yet this evening, after my movie, I will try and look it up and let you know. :thumbsup: 

Yeah but when you say "It was an old fancy (in its day) apartment building once owned by Arcaro" Please provide with the quotes please. 

Edited by RedDragon86

5 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Yeah but when you say "It was an old fancy (in its day) apartment building once owned by Arcaro" Please provide with the quotes please. 

Obviously a building Acaro lived in would have been fancy or upscale. The “fancy” comment was my own...not a direct quote. However, I’m tired of this and want to finish my movie in peace. :p So, I put my movie on pause, got out my original NBC airing of “Out Where the Buses Don’t Run”, and scanned through part of the episode.

At least one scene where it’s stated Acaro had lived in the building Hank is now residing, is on Crockett’s boat. Hank is squirting Crockett with an alligator squirt gun, making silly statements about “man squirts alligator...alligator squirts man”. Tubbs then decides to bring the discussion back to the case, and he makes the statement by asking Weldon the question: Did you know Acaro lived in your building? 

Now, with that settled...back to my movie. :dance2:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

There’s nothing to be “confused” about :D, but obviously Tubbs was letting Weldon know, that he & Crockett knew, how obsessed Hank was with Acaro...that they’d learned his old building had once been Acaro’s residence. That he’d bought it because it had been Acaro’s before the...“disappearance”.

They’d learned it through ‘Lorraine’, and this irritated Hank...as for whatever reason I don’t think he thought thought they’d find that out.

Edited by ViceFanMan

13 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

There’s nothing to be “confused” about :D, but obviously Tubbs was letting Weldon know, that he & Crockett knew, how obsessed Hank was with Acaro...that they’d learned his old building had once been Acaro’s residence. That he’d bought it because it had been Acaro’s before the...“disappearance”.

They’d learned it through ‘Lorraine’, and this irritated Hank...as for whatever reason I don’t think he thought thought they’d find that out.

Can you show me please show me any quotation of where Hank lived,being owed by Alcaro?

34 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Can you show me please show me any quotation of where Hank lived,being owed by Alcaro?

I just let you know where it’s stated Acaro lived and resided in the building Weldon now does. The Art Deco building was upscale in its day, but not huge like a resort or high-rise condominium. So, Acaro would have occupied the entire thing. 

In reality it’s still upscale and yes...fancy! ;) Look it up on Google. But, supposedly in the episode it was older & abandoned when Hank returns & takes up residence there himself (I’m sure interiors were sound stage sets). He’d bought it after Acaro “disappeared”. 

I suppose Tony Acaro could have rented some small apartment in it, back when he was the king-of-cocaine in Miami...but I seriously doubt it! He’d have had & owned his own place. By watching the episode, and how it’s presented, obviously Acaro occupied the whole thing...which meant he most likely owned it.

That’s what Tubbs meant when he says Acaro lived in your building. He was letting Weldon know that he knew it had been Acaro’s building. Otherwise, Hank wouldn’t have wanted or bought the entire building himself...only the part Acaro had resided in.

Now, going back to the original point, regardless of whether Acaro owned or just rented a part of the building...the fact that Acaro had lived there was the reason Hank bought it and was now residing there. Lorraine being hidden behind a wall could have been symbolic of Acaro being behind a wall (although that’s not necessarily implied). 

But, the rest of the building supposedly falling apart with old walls and plaster falling off in pieces, revealing the old slats, was just to show that Weldon had done nothing to maintain it after he’d bought it...most likely not long after Acaro went “missing”. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

I may not always provide exact dialogue or quotes (as many times it’s not necessarily needed to state what’s in an episode)...but I never just make things up as I go along! Especially when it’s easily checked out, LOL! :)  When something is shown or stated in an episode, then it’s episode-fact. :done:

Since I love this episode so much, I decided to go ahead and watch it in full again. Amazing and impactful plot, acting, music, etc...always a definite 10! Below is a clip of the scene stating Acaro had lived in the building Hank had later bought, with actual dialogue...as well as a couple pics of the Art Deco building itself. Of course these are outside shots, as I’m sure the interiors were just sets. One is from the episode, and one is a more recent photograph of what it looks like today:

229ED587-8718-4836-ABFD-9AD92735B146.png

5BB8BBA6-232F-4640-97F6-C138D84CEF83.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I may not always provide exact dialogue or quotes (as many times it’s not necessarily needed to state what’s in an episode)...but I never just make things up as I go along! Especially when it’s easily checked out, LOL! :)  When something is shown or stated in an episode, then it’s episode-fact. :done:

Since I love this episode so much, I decided to go ahead and watch it in full again. Amazing and impactful plot, acting, music, etc...always a definite 10! Below is a clip of the scene stating Acaro had lived in the building Hank had later bought, with actual dialogue...as well as a couple pics of the Art Deco building itself. Of course these are outside shots, as I’m sure the interiors were just sets. One is from the episode, and one is a more recent photograph of what it looks like today:

B99181FC-164F-443D-B8D5-F6408623F271.MOV 46.41 MB · 0 downloads

229ED587-8718-4836-ABFD-9AD92735B146.png

5BB8BBA6-232F-4640-97F6-C138D84CEF83.jpeg

I didn't mean that really it was just a bit of fun, no disrespect intended. :)

All I was saying is how do you know it was one of Alcaro's buildings, is their a quote?

Still whether it was Alcaro's or not doesn't alter my original view of how he was living.

Edited by RedDragon86

12 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I didn't mean that really it was just a bit of fun, no disrespect intended. :)

All I was saying is how do you know it was one of Alcaro's buildings, is their a quote?

Still whether it was Alcaro's or not doesn't alter my original view of how he was living.

A proverbial ‘direct quote’ isn’t needed. If Acaro was living there...obviously it was his building. ;) He was a millionaire drug dealer in the 60s-70s. He would not have rented something...he would have owned & occupied the whole dwelling. That’s what Tubbs’ statement meant. He was testing Hank to see how he’d respond when he let Weldon know that he & Crockett knew he was living in Acaro’s old building.

How Hank was living in Acaro’s old building doesn’t necessarily pertain to how he had originally hidden Acaro’s body...although it’s an interesting thought. :thumbsup: But, basically he hadn’t done anything to the old building after he’d originally bought it, and it was starting to fall apart. The only thing he did hide in case vandals/thieves broke in was ‘Lorraine’. 

10 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

A proverbial ‘direct quote’ isn’t needed. If Acaro was living there...obviously it was his building. ;) He was a millionaire drug dealer in the 60s-70s. He would not have rented something...he would have owned & occupied the whole dwelling. That’s what Tubbs’ statement meant. He was testing Hank to see how he’d respond when he let Weldon know that he & Crockett knew he was living in Acaro’s old building.

How Hank was living in Acaro’s old building doesn’t necessarily pertain to how he had originally hidden Acaro’s body...although it’s an interesting thought. :thumbsup: But, basically he hadn’t done anything to the old building after he’d originally bought it, and it was starting to fall apart. The only thing he did hide in case vandals/thieves broke in was ‘Lorraine’. 

Who's building it belonged to wasn't really my point, it was more aimed at how Hank was living.

Just a harmless observation.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

A proverbial ‘direct quote’ isn’t needed. If Acaro was living there...obviously it was his building. ;) He was a millionaire drug dealer in the 60s-70s. He would not have rented something...he would have owned & occupied the whole dwelling.

Not that this helps to clarify anything, but the assumption that Amato would own rather than rent an apartment because of his wealth, isn’t necessarily valid.  Real estate investment is very highly traceable in terms of ownership and not very liquid.  If one had a large amount of ill-gotten gains, shall we say :p, there are far better methods of shielding it’s origins than real estate.  In that era, bearer bonds, which are no longer legal, were a very simple and popular method.  Offshore numbered accounts still are, as is the creation of layers of LLC’s, though more complicated and less liquid.  Crypto currency is the newest method of choice by organized crime.

The goal of all this is not to earn income from investment as most people, like you and I, would be focused on. The real income is from illegal activities, and the goal is to shield that money from authorities while still having relatively easy access.  Real estate purchases would be a fairly poor choice.  Many people  don’t realize how often failed attempts at laundering dirty money is what actually leads to criminal indictments.  It doesn’t exactly make for exciting TV, I know, but it’s true. :)

Al Capone was ultimately indicted and imprisoned for tax evasion, and several real estate holdings played a role in the IRS establishing his income over a period of years.  His lawyers failed in arguing that the 5th Amendment protected him from having to disclose where the income for his many large expenditures had come from.  Living large on ill-gotten gains caries a risk.  He was likely responsible, both directly and indirectly, for hundreds of mob killings, but he went to prison for tax evasion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Who's building it belonged to wasn't really my point, it was more aimed at how Hank was living.

Just a harmless observation.

I never really thought whose building it was, was an issue before either...as it’s stated that Acaro lived there, and that’s why Hank lived there later. 

But, Weldon was basically living in squalor in Acaro’s old building. That was supposed to show how pathetic & mentally unstable he’d become—and how obsessed he still was with Acaro. 

The only thing hidden behind a wall was his computer...’Lorraine’. He basically did that in case more vandals & thieves got in (as it looked as though some had been in before with graffiti and things written or drawn on the walls). But, he made the sarcastic comment about all the rest, that none of it was worth anything & didn’t really matter if someone did get in & take it...as he’d even left the door unlocked.

The impression I get is that the only connection between where Hank is living & Acaro, is that it used to be Acaro’s building, and that’s why Weldon bought it. This was based off a real-life case...I’m not sure exactly what the real aspects & what was added for the episode were...I don’t know if the writers were trying to really make a connection between Lorraine and Acaro’s remains? But, it does make an interesting idea! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pahonu said:

Not that this helps to clarify anything, but the assumption that Amato would own rather than rent an apartment because of his wealth, isn’t necessarily valid.  Real estate investment is very highly traceable in terms of ownership and not very liquid.  If one had a large amount of ill-gotten gains, shall we say :p, there are far better methods of shielding it’s origins than real estate.  In that era, bearer bonds, which are no longer legal, were a very simple and popular method.  Offshore numbered accounts still are, as is the creation of layers of LLC’s, though more complicated and less liquid.  Crypto currency is the newest method of choice by organized crime.

The goal of all this is not to earn income from investment as most people, like you and I, would be focused on. The real income is from illegal activities, and the goal is to shield that money from authorities while still having relatively easy access.  Real estate purchases would be a fairly poor choice.  Many people  don’t realize how often failed attempts at laundering dirty money is what actually leads to criminal indictments.  It doesn’t exactly make for exciting TV, I know, but it’s true. :)

Al Capone was ultimately indicted and imprisoned for tax evasion, and several real estate holdings played a role in the IRS establishing his income over a period of years.  His lawyers failed in arguing that the 5th Amendment protected him from having to disclose where the income for his many large expenditures had come from.  Living large on ill-gotten gains caries a risk.  He was likely responsible, both directly and indirectly, for hundreds of mob killings, but he went to prison for tax evasion.  

‘Acaro’, rather than Amato...but, actually it is valid, as C&T were able to look up and discover the building had been Acaro’s. So, obviously he did own and/or have some place of dwelling in his name.

He had never been able to be convicted, and got away with all kinds of illegal activities. He seemed to like to flaunt it to law enforcement—which ultimately caused Weldon to lose-it.

But, I don’t think he was too worried about accounting for where his supposed income was coming from. He was rich enough to afford lawyers to take care of that. Even if the courts tried to find a way to get him on the old “Capone” tax evasion idea...his lawyers still got him off & the case kicked out. 

28 minutes ago, pahonu said:

not necessarily true.  lot of big drug dealers keep their earnings in cash. they buy a property, and hide their money in it. it's the option that actually gives the bigger chances to recover the money after governmental investigations

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

‘Acaro’, rather than Amato...but, actually it is valid, as C&T were able to look up and discover the building had been Acaro’s. So, obviously he did own and/or have some place of dwelling in his name.

He had never been able to be convicted, and got away with all kinds of illegal activities. He seemed to like to flaunt it to law enforcement—which ultimately caused Weldon to lose-it.

But, I don’t think he was too worried about accounting for where his supposed income was coming from. He was rich enough to afford lawyers to take care of that. Even if the courts tried to find a way to get him on the old “Capone” tax evasion idea...his lawyers still got him off & the case kicked out. 

Screwed up with Amato, but it’s  actually Tony Arcaro, with two R’s.  By the way, there was a real guy named Tony Accardo who headed the Chicago Outfit into the 80’s, I think.  The IRS opened a case against him also. 

This is actually my favorite episode, and I remembered the discussion on the boat when you brought it up on the thread.  Ownership or not, by Arcaro or Weldon, isn’t really the point, but I had never assumed ownership.  The obsession by Hank being voiced by Tubbs is the key.  Why though did Tubbs tell Hank that Arcaro lived in the building, rather than it was Arcaro’s building or that Arcaro owned the building?  It’s just not clear that he owned it no matter his wealth.  Is it made clear that Hank bought the building or did he just rent?  I don’t recall.  Finding out it was Arcaro’s place of residence is no harder for law enforcement than finding out the owner of the building. 

Dismissing tax evasion as an old Capone era tactic isn’t quite accurate either.  It’s still routinely prosecuted in organized crime cases.  The RICO statute, of course, provided other avenues.  Many wealthy and powerful individuals have gone to prison even with the best attorneys at their disposal.  So have many well-known people not a part of organized crime.

• Like 1