How old were you in MV days?

Dadrian

obviously don't post if you don't want your age known :) or if you weren't even born yet :)from 84-89 i was 4-9 yrs old.i remember the ads from the first two seasons (i was the youngest of my family, and we watched a lot of TV). i started watching at "when irish eyes are crying" in 86.i wish i'd been a teenager, and that i'd caught it from the pilot.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dadrian

• Stinger390X

• timm525

• Viceman Cometh

It debuted a month before my 13th birthday. That sounds young as I type it, but I was already a pop culture fiend and felt the impact of Vice in the music I listened to, the magazines I read and the music videos I watched. Watershed moment.BUT, strangely enough, I didn't get rabidly into the show until I was in my twenties.

as a six year old, i think i was most captivated by crockett's "white lamborgini" than anything. (every unidentified car was a lamborghini when i was six)

Guest neworder

My date of birth was the day after the original airing of World of trouble season 5 lol. So the only eps shown on the original run when i was actually alive were the awful miracle man and leap of faith...and the pretty good but depressing too much too late.SJB

• Administrators

I turned 30 in 1984. I would never leave the house on Friday nights. Back then my wife had planned a surprise 30th birthday party for me and she eventually had to ruin the surprise and tell me to get me to leave the house. The episode "Give A Little, Take A Little" fell on my 30th birthday, December 7th, 1984. It was THE only episode I had taped with commercials in it!

I was in my mid to late twenties, young and good looking (back then...) single and lots of toys.(Just could not afford the boat back then!)When MV came on I was an avid piston head and really into cars and boats. When I saw the Great McCarthy I went nuts and promised myself that someday I would own the Stinger390X. That was my dream and my goal.I had a hot rod back then and hung out with all the cool guys on "The Lane" but I disapeared every Friday night until after 11pm. Then I went out to play. Many people asked where I was and I was actually afraid to admit I was at home on a Friday night alone watching TV from 10 to 11pm. After all...I was a "swinging dick" and had a reputation to uphold, so I lied and told them I had a date with a hot blonde.I went out and bought an Andrew Fezza original jacket (which I still own but is too small for me) in off white and rolled up the sleeves just like Crocket. I started to wear nice pants and my friends thought I was nuts because if you remember, blue jeans were the "Garb of the day" . Dressing like Crocket became an obsession with me and I kept buying clothes that looked similar to whatever was on each week.Being young and in the same generation of the 80's I could DEFINITELY empathise with the show and all it stood for. I enjoyed it, and if I was asked.....I WOULD DEFINITELY DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN! (where is the damn time machine when you need it?)I was a teenager during the "Disco Era" and that was ok but there is, and never will be, anything like the excess and opulance of the eighties. The Music was fabulous and the birth of Friday Night Videos (on at 11:30pm) spawned into MTV which was the platform for MV. Great music, nice cars, women with big hair (I love big hair!) fashion conscientious males (not afraid to be cool, (I got rid of my concert t-shirts and blue jeans) and of course the coolest cars.I was old enough to drive these things and lucky enough to work at an exclusive body shop where I got to drive Ferraris, Classics and many foreign models.(I just wasn't rich enough to own them yet!)It was a great time to be the right age...-twenty something!

Thanks guys. Interesting stories. I was really hooked when the show aired. The fact that we lived in Miami at the time and it was my home town had a lot to do with it. My kids still accuse me of making them watch Vice on TV.

How were you prescient enough to tape (and save!) all the eps starting from No. 1? Did you know from the promos that this was something special? And having a VCR wasn't exactly common in '84, either -- were you a tech junkie and had to have one when they came out? I'm just curious.

Here Stinger...

You know that brought back a lot of memories...thanks.I can remember hanging out at a restaurant called the "Flying Saucer" and they had a tv there. Late nights on Friday we would go there and I knew the owner so he would tune into Friday Night Videos and it was sooooooooooo cool back then. Then came MTV after that and of course the Canadian version, Much Music. It's all old school now and I notice my daughter watches a lot of Much Music recently. They hardly play music videos any more??? WTF? All they have are really dull dreary movies and a whole slew of reality shows like the one about the people that have abused drugs and booze and are recovering, or the show with Kiss's lead singer (forgot the name of the show, "Family Jewels" or something like that?) or the life and times(crimes) of Ozzy!!!and crap like that. Once in a while they will throw in a music video...They call this entertainment?....................................Give me my DVD's and I'd rather watch MV than that crap on the tube now. I HATE reality shows.Actually I don't really watch too much tv so I use my time wisely..............................................

How were you prescient enough to tape (and save!) all the eps starting from No. 1? Did you know from the promos that this was something special? And having a VCR wasn't exactly common in '84' date=' either -- were you a tech junkie and had to have one when they came out? I'm just curious.[/quote']I too recorded all the shows when they first aired, and some with the commercials, and the commercial break JAN HAMMER exclusive MV short theme music alone, and with the vocal, "MIAMI VICE WILL CONTINUE" letting the viewer know there was more to come.Also nice having the scenes, and lines that were cut from the cable and dvd versions! You had to be a first time viewer to see those!The commercials became "MIAMI VICE" style commercials with rock songs, 80's clothes, and slick photography knowing it was thier target audience during this show.My only problem?They are all on beta tape. :cry:

I was just 17 when the pilot aired, and shortly turned 18.I was legally an adult, and was (am) hooked.MILLER'S OUTPOST clothing store carried the MIAMI VICE fashions. There you could buy the three button henleys exactly the same type as crockett wore, and cheap cotton blazers and pants. (You can see a MIAMI VICE style MILLER'S OUTPOST color advertisement in the COOPER&BURNETT SCRAPBOOK SECTION on the VICE.ORG site, and see for yourself the vice style clothes!)

• Administrators
How were you prescient enough to tape (and save!) all the eps starting from No. 1? Did you know from the promos that this was something special? And having a VCR wasn't exactly common in '84' date=' either -- were you a tech junkie and had to have one when they came out? I'm just curious.[/quote']I assume you mean me? Yeah I had watched the promos for Vice and just had a feeling that this was something special so I taped right from the beginning. (Hey nothing lost, just tape over it if it stinks!) I've always been a TV junkie so a VCR was a must. I still have all the tapes. I'd never get rid of them, they're like children. Lucky me though, I bought VHS! (Sorry C&B)

Well, nofretz, Beta vs. VHS was the first battle in the home entertainment war. Very similar to HD DVD and Blu-Ray this year. Beta was manufactured by Sony and had superior picture quality. But the tape itself was slightly smaller and not compatible with VHS players.In the early days of home video, both types of players were in the market, and video cassettes were released in both formats. But eventually, VHS became the dominant product and Beta was abandoned. It left a lot of Beta converts with a sour taste in their mouths. It was kinda the first lesson in the price of being an "early adapter." That's the industry name for people who will buy new technology immediately, without waiting around to see what the market will bear.I suppose the biggest reason VHS "won" was because more manufacturers could make the players, while Sony has exclusivity on the Beta. At least, that's how I remember it, but it was 25 years ago!

thanks for the info, shill and viceman! very interesting.we weren't early adapters :) we were still renting a vcr (with movies) every other month or so (on occasion) until 1989. i got a vcr with "batman" (michael keaton) for christmas in 89. thanks god mv was on network--we didn't get cable until 1990! :) i grew up in the country, ok? :)