How old were you in MV days?

Dadrian

From '84-'89 I was 6 to 11 years old. I didn't watch the show back then, but my older brother did. I remember when he got the cassette tape of the Miami Vice album as a gift, and we listened to it on our "jambox"!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dadrian

• Stinger390X

• timm525

• Viceman Cometh

• Administrators

renting a vcr (with movies) every other month or so (on occasion) until 1989. i got a vcr with "batman" (michael keaton) for christmas in 89. thanks god mv was on network--we didn't get cable until 1990! :) i grew up in the country, ok? :)

At least you didn't get an '8 Track" for Christmas. ;)

i've never even heard of beta tape.

Ever heard of an 8track? or maybe a 45 rpm record?possibly a 78 LP?There have been many recording formats that have become obsolete..............I can see Blue Ray as the next thing? Who knows?????.....................................................

I assume you mean me? Yeah I had watched the promos for Vice and just had a feeling that this was something special so I taped right from the beginning. (Hey nothing lost' date=' just tape over it if it stinks!) I've always been a TV junkie so a VCR was a must. I still have all the tapes. I'd never get rid of them, they're like children. Lucky me though, I bought VHS! (Sorry C&B)[/quote']I've got them all on VHS, too, along with a lot of interviews, etc. with Don and some of the others. I bought my first VCR in 1982, and it's the one I used until the mid-90's.

• Administrators

i've never even heard of beta tape.

I was actually surprised to see VHS win the war because of it's bigger, bulkier size. Kind of like an 8 track tape winning out over a cassette. In fact, 8 track Vs. cassette was actually the 1st "format war". When I was in high school way back in 19.... everyone had to have an 8 track. When I bought one of the 1st cassette players for my car they all laughed. 6 months later all my friends were copying their 8 track tapes onto cassettes!

I bought my first VCR (I was the first guy on the block to actually own one as when you went to the video store to rent a video, you grabbed a huge suitcase to take home the machine) back in 1983 which was an old JVC model that was a toploader. It had a remote....but it was attached to the machine with a long cord (yes kiddies it's true!)That machine cost me almost seven hunderd dollars and you could buy T-120 tapes in packages of three for the outstanding value of 45 dollars for the package!In Canada we had been introduced to Superchannel on cable (very first movie network) and I used to tape movies at 4am and if I didn't like them after viewing them in the evening, I erased them and taped over top again. Unfortunately if there was a movie I liked and wanted to keep, I had to go out and buy more tapes!!! Thank goodness the price of blank tapes came down to a more reasonable 15 dollars for a package.By the way I gave the machine to my x-mother in law many years ago and apparently it STILL WORKS PERFECT to this very day! She doesn't get out much so vhs is still common for her today.Who knew?

All this talk about huge jurassic VHS players and 8-track tapes is getting me nostalgiac. My uncle had one of those huge VCRs with the cable-connected remotes! I didn't get my first VCR til I went to colege in 1990. We bought one for my parents that Christmas.Remember when movies were first released for the home, the list price was usually around $100? That's 1980s dollars, too. Back then it was all about the rental business. Today we can buy a DVD that will last forever (or at least until they stop making machines for it!) for a fraction of that. It's pretty amazing.Anyone remember a fantastic magazine called simply Electronic Games? I used to buy them at the local Kroger. Don't have 'em anymore, and they command pretty impressive prices on ebay these days!

All this talk about huge jurassic VHS players and 8-track tapes is getting me nostalgiac. Today we can buy a DVD that will last forever (or at least until they stop making machines for it!) for a fraction of that. It's pretty amazing.

Yes and the DVD sound and picture quality is so much better. I also taped many episodes (not all) of MV but my magnetic tape has lost it's edge...if you know what I mean.The new formats have given the younger generation a chance to view what we experienced first hand! It's nice to see the younger folks on here chatting it up about this series.I especially liked the Halloween thread with the costumes of crocket and Tubbs. So nice to see that the series inspired the younger people!

The Big Six-0I was 36 when MV started in 1984. We lived and breathed Miami Vice for the next 5 years:happy: I'm officially in my sixth decade as of last month :eek: I'm still loving it :dance2::funky::cool::dance:

i'll still be watching vice when i'm sixty :)i hope i have a daytona and a scarab/or stinger by then! :)and a memorymoog, for those of you who follow my jan hammer cover threads

• 2 weeks later...

I was born in early 1986, so it was the second season, I was, what, three when it ended? Needless to say, I was more into Ghostbusters, Batman, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Still, I was always at least 'aware' of MV, though I didn't become a die-hard fan until a few years back (and not because of the movie, thoough that was a happy coincidence).

Wow, ok, I'm a mixture of all the ages in here...lol....I was in my 20's doing the hairspray bottle proud...lmao! Oh and raising a kid too. Sue

I was 8 in 1984. But in 1986 I was in Miami and got a photo with the Sonnys MVScarab.:eek: I was so proud. My dad tried to start up an airline (transport) going from Miami to the Caribbian. But du to the finace crises in 1987-88 it whent to hell.:cry: To bad I wanted to moove. He had a lot of stories from Miami in the 80s

• Administrators

Cool story. Too bad your dad didn't get a chance to make it work. Maybe he could have been on MV. along with Chalks. :thumbsup:

Well' date=' nofretz, Beta vs. VHS was the first battle in the home entertainment war. Very similar to HD DVD and Blu-Ray this year. Beta was manufactured by Sony and had superior picture quality. But the tape itself was slightly smaller and not compatible with VHS players.I suppose the biggest reason VHS "won" was because more manufacturers could make the players, while Sony has exclusivity on the Beta. At least, that's how I remember it, but it was 25 years ago![/quote']Right. However, beta would go on to become the standard for the broadcast news industry. So all was not lost on the beta format wars.

Hi!From April 1986 to April 1993, the period in which the 111 eps were first broadcasted in Brazil (where I live), I was 11-18 years old.I still remember the first time I ever saw MV, it was Calderone's return two parts. It's incredible, I just knew back then that I met something that I would like for a long time (now I know, I'd like forever).