Lou Rodriguez

SonnyCrockettBurnett01

Did any of y'all like Lieutenant Lou Rodriguez (Castillo's predecessor) before he was killed in Episode 4 "Calderone's Return, Part I"?

NO. To me he was the stereotypical cop of the 1970's police shows and had a New York look and feel to him. He was all wrong for this new style, more realistic Miami police show. The Pilot and first few episodes were great but he was imo the biggest negative of those episodes. Best thing they did was get rid of him and replace him with Castillo.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yep, I liked him, although agree that he felt like an identikit cop show boss - could have been in NYPD Blue. Always wondered why they killed him off tho. The way they did it - having him injured and them dying off screen - suggests to me it was some kind of contract dispute. I love the little exchange he has with Crockett in Brother's Keeper when Crockett tries to question him about where he gets his money

No way. He peaked on Sanford & Son, and even then, he was creepy. Thank goodness someone invented the shaved head so we don't have to deal with combovers anymore. [shudder]

NO. To me he was the stereotypical cop of the 1970's police shows and had a New York look and feel to him. He was all wrong for this new style' date=' more realistic Miami police show. The Pilot and first few episodes were great but he was imo the biggest negative of those episodes. Best thing they did was get rid of him and replace him with Castillo.[/quote']I did like him, but I was also happier when Castillo replaced him. I agree with C Glide with above statements. His style was the opposite of the shows look, and Crockett and Tubbs looked like they were wearing costumes for the job compared to him. When Castillo came into the picture, he fit in perfect. His clothes were like how he saw things...just in black and white (or only right or wrong), plus Castillos dress was current, and with the skinny tie looked great for the show.I liked Lou R., and was sad for his death, but I didn't know at the time that something better was coming!Castillo was also much more interesting.Castillo wins over Rodriguz hands down.

Yep' date=' I liked him, although agree that he felt like an identikit cop show boss - could have been in NYPD Blue. Always wondered why they killed him off tho. The way they did it - having him injured and them dying off screen - suggests to me it was some kind of contract dispute. I love the little exchange he has with Crockett in Brother's Keeper when Crockett tries to question him about where he gets his money[/quote']Didn't the actor want to spend more time with his family or am I confusing him with someone else?
  • Like 2

I didn't like Rodriguez much. He had that presence that he didn't belong on the show and C Glide is right: he was like the typical lieutenant in 70s cop shows (Starsky & Hutch, C.H.I.P.S., etc). Castillo is 1,000 times better

• Like 1

Lou was alright, but too generic. He would have been better suited to a show like Hunter, rather than MV.Castillo was much, MUCH better, and fit perfectly into the new, unique show that was MV.

• Like 1

Plus, Castillo was more serious than Rodriguez. If you look at the early eps of MV, and then look at the differences between Castillo and Rodriguez, it's almost like Gregory Sierra didn't want to be on MV in the first place.

Didn't the actor want to spend more time with his family or am I confusing him with someone else?
Plus' date=' Castillo was more serious than Rodriguez. If you look at the early eps of MV' date=' and then look at the differences between Castillo and Rodriguez, it's almost like Gregory Sierra didn't want to be on MV in the first place.[/quote'']Personally, the actor was popular with the other actors, but Gregory Sierra didn't like the weather in Florida, and didn't want to live there, so he asked to be released from the show.

As pretty much everyone else stated above, Rodriguez was out of place on the show. But his departure worked out very well. With the show's writers knowing it, Sierra handed the show a perfect entry for Castillo who played such a precise and perfect role on the show. The actual introduction of Castillo in 'One Eyed Jack' was awesome! "Charles Bronson by way of Havana." Something like that. And the set-up where Castillo appears to be siding with Schroeder (Dan Hedaya) only to flip it near the end and give a dramatic boost to Crockett, well, it's just one of my favorite scenes in Vice. It's as if the show is saying: 'Alright...not everyone has to agree here, but we're getting the job done as a team.'

Ohh so that's why he left MV. I always thought he wanted to leave because he didn't like the scripts or something.

Ohh so that's why he left MV. I always thought he wanted to leave because he didn't like the scripts or something.

Nope, just didn't like the Florida weather, that's all.

I also love the scene where Tubbs gets in Castillo's face and Castillo replies with:"Don't EVER come up to my face like this again, Detective"

• Haha 2

i also love the scene where tubbs gets in castillo's face and castillo replies with:"don't ever come up to my face like this again' date=' detective"[/quote']classic!

I also love the scene where Tubbs gets in Castillo's face and Castillo replies with:"Don't EVER come up to my face like this again' date=' Detective"[/quote']It's a great line. I've paraphrased it in 'real life' many times.

And to cap it off, I love the scene where Schroeder tries to get Crockett fired, and Castillo replies with:"Who do you think you are, to come into my office and bad-mouth one of my detectives?"

• Haha 1

And to cap it off' date=' I love the scene where Schroeder tries to get Crockett fired, and Castillo replies with:"Who do you think you are, to come into my office and bad-mouth one of my detectives?"[/quote']"Mouth off"

Lol can you imagine what the series would've been like if Rodriguez would've stayed on the show? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have lasted as long.Because pretty much the people that kept MV going was Crockett, Tubbs and Castillo.

Lol can you imagine what the series would've been like if Rodriguez would've stayed on the show? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have lasted as long.Because pretty much the people that kept MV going was Crockett' date=' Tubbs and Castillo.[/quote']Castillo made a HUGE impact on the series, which is why EJO won an Emmy for his role in MIAMI VICE for best supporting actor.

I don't think episodes surrounding Lou Rodriguez would be quite as interesting as those surrounding the mysterious Castillo.

I also love the scene where Tubbs gets in Castillo's face and Castillo replies with:"Don't EVER come up to my face like this again' date=' Detective"[/quote']YEEEES lol i love that scene.I remember thinking"what an asshole" but at the same time i was impressed with his hardness.