Lou Rodriguez

SonnyCrockettBurnett01

The show needed a tough, mysterious, yet hard working lieutenant to replace Rodriguez, and they got it with Martin "Marty" Castillo.[ATTACH=CONFIG]6933[/ATTACH]

post-11033-13892964941379_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I also love the scene where Tubbs gets in Castillo's face and Castillo replies with:"Don't EVER come up to my face like this again' date=' Detective"[/quote']
And to cap it off' date=' I love the scene where Schroeder tries to get Crockett fired, and Castillo replies with:"Who do you think you are, to come into my office and bad-mouth one of my detectives?"[/quote']Those two lines along with the quiet intensity and general mysteriousness surrounding the character were what really set up Castillo as more than just another generic Lt., IMO. He's not going to take any lip, but he'll back you all the way. All business, but (despite his ever-present clothing style of choice) not always settling for or seeing things as simply black and white (example: the ending of "Borrasca").I firmly believe Castillo to be one of the greatest characters on dramatic television ever, or at least as far as gruff police Lieutenants/Sergents/Captains/etc. go. Lou came off as a holdover from any number of 70's cop shows, Castillo was something else entirely.

6933[/ATTACH]

Maybe they should be a partner like Crockett&Tubbs..I like Rodriguez but Castillo much better than Rodriguez..But If begining since Castillo&Rodriguez had been partner and worked in Tayland or If they had been partner of Police Academy maybe then gonna be much better And Rico&Trudy with Sonny&Gina have been lover and Zito hadn't died maybe the show would continue to Season 6 - Season 7 - Season 8...
  • Like 1

I didn't like Rodriguez much. He had that presence that he didn't belong on the show and C Glide is right: he was like the typical lieutenant in 70s cop shows (Starsky & Hutch' date=' C.H.I.P.S., etc). Castillo is 1,000 times better[/quote']Funny you should mention that, I get the feeling that Paul Michale Glaser's, Starsky's directing had serious influence over the way the show felt in S1, he directed the second part of the hitlist and one or two other episodes I believe.From the way the scenes were shot with the daytona to the buddy cop relationship after the pilot. it really did remind me of it in some cases although thankfully the stories made up for that. and it helped it from becoming a starsky and hutch clone just with pastels, a speedboat and pop music.as for the choice I did like Lou but he felt like he was out of place as the head there at the OCD. Like he would have been better off as another character on the show like some sort of lawyer or police commissioner.anything but the boss, EJO I do feel felt better but I kind of wish he had been warmer and not quite as taciturn as he was. Atleast some of the time like here
but on the other hand, if your over emotional when dealing with a suspect or group of people who are actively trying to screw you and the system. you do really have to play your hand close to your chest as to not give away the game plan which ran opposite to Crocketts undercover image.still though it would have added more character for him to sometimes snap at someone like that handler of the assassin in the savage and just say out of nowhere you really are a villain with some sort of a snarl.

I remember watching EJO on a talk show at the time, must have been about halfway thru season 1 when he went on a late night talk show and stated that the don't ever get in my face scene was the first he filmed in Vice. He arrived and went right to work doing that scene and he immediately had to come up with the persona of Castillo and he nailed it in that scene which set the stage for the character. Intersting interview, I would like to watch it again now. Anyone have it or know where it can be seen?

• Like 1

Rodriguez was the least groundbreaking element to a groundbreaking show. His character was where Tony Yerkovich relied too much on his Hill Street Blues past by writing a lieutenant who seemed more at home in Chicago or New York than Miami. That's OK, since Tubbs is from New York too, but where Tubbs was hip, modern and cool, and able to adapt to Miami, Rodriguez wasn't. His cigar-chomping, gruff demeanor just didn't fit. Castillo's "ninja lieutenant" characterization was much more in line with the humid, hazy feel of the show.If Gregory Sierra had stayed on board, you can be sure we'd see more "Rodriguez episodes" like we did for Castillo. But instead of Bushido or Golden Triangle or The Savage, we'd have gotten more traditional stuff with Lou. Rodriguez had a family, so maybe a story about some domestic problem getting in the way of the job. Crockett's line to Lou in the pilot about his son's tuition money could have made a great plot -- maybe IAD investigating Lou for embezzlement or something.I think Michael Mann knew that Lou's replacement had to be unique and special, which is why EJO was offered complete creative control; they needed to make the new lieutenant completely unconventional like we'd never seen before. The thing I wonder is ... how the heck could Sierra not like the beautiful Miami weather?? ?(

• Like 2

I remember watching EJO on a talk show at the time' date=' must have been about halfway thru season 1 when he went on a late night talk show and stated that the don't ever get in my face scene was the first he filmed in Vice. He arrived and went right to work doing that scene and he immediately had to come up with the persona of Castillo and he nailed it in that scene which set the stage for the character. Intersting interview, I would like to watch it again now. Anyone have it or know where it can be seen?[/quote']hmm, hell of a first scene. First time he gets on set and its already a fight between tubbs and him, sounds like One Eyed Jack from the sound of it. then that whole deal with Don and the door slamming. sometime during the first six epsiodes Don got into a disagreement with him and how he wanted things to be set up given he was given free rein to set up Castilo as he wanted because of his contract.slamming the door of his office in the show in frustration and then he left the set for 15 minutes to cool off, EJO however made a point not to make eye contact with him for those six episodes in retaliation and sort of a way to show it was not appreciated.might have been while they were filming or something too as it was part of that E hollywood thing on vice a few years ago, complete with a scene from one of the early episodes when Crockett loudly slammed his door because of something.

hmm' date=' hell of a first scene. First time he gets on set and its already a fight between tubbs and him, sounds like One Eyed Jack from the sound of it. then that whole deal with Don and the door slamming. sometime during the first six epsiodes Don got into a disagreement with him and how he wanted things to be set up given he was given free rein to set up Castilo as he wanted because of his contract.slamming the door of his office in the show in frustration and then he left the set for 15 minutes to cool off, EJO however made a point not to make eye contact with him for those six episodes in retaliation and sort of a way to show it was not appreciated.might have been while they were filming or something too as it was part of that E hollywood thing on vice a few years ago, complete with a scene from one of the early episodes when Crockett loudly slammed his door because of something.[/quote']That's the illusion of TV for ya ... characters may have the best rapport and chemistry but the actors playing them hate each other in real life. Olmos and Johnson didn't like working together at all but kept it up for five years. Look at episodes with great Castillo/Crockett scenes, like God's Work or To Have and To Hold ... it's hard to portray that closeness between characters when you dislike the actor you're working with.

Did any of y'all watch the E! True Hollywood Story of MV? Edward James Olmos stated that he and Don Johnson had problems with each other for I think for the first two seasons, but somehow, someway, they became good friends for the rest of the series.

• Like 2

Did any of y'all watch the E! True Hollywood Story of MV? Edward James Olmos stated that he and Don Johnson had problems with each other for I think for the first two seasons' date=' but somehow, someway, they became good friends for the rest of the series.[/quote']Hmm I remember the first bit but not the last, I dont remember them becoming friends honestly.I mean I know Talbot showed up on Nash Bridges along with PMT and Cheech Martins former buddy there but never him or anyone else really, outside of Mr. Quick Draw from the hitlist I think.

Yes I remember him saying something along those lines. Does anybody know where we could watch the full E! story? I youtube'd it, and the first 1/3 is missing! :evil:

I watched it about 4 months ago, I watched what they had... pretty damn good, but they left out a BUNCH of stuff. Like when Crockett married Caitlin, turned into Sonny Burnett, Jan Hammer leaving the show and getting replaced by Tim Truman and then the series finale "Freefall".

• 6 years later...

He was wrong for Vice.  Maybe could've been a good villain.  Or maybe if they found  he was on the take and he pulled a Burnett type move and became a recurring villain.  That could've possibly worked.

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I liked Lou but he didn't fit, he is one of those guys straight out of "The Rockford Files"

That's a perfect analogy. Makes me wonder if that might have been Michael Mann's point--here's your standard cop-show lieutenant, and he gets killed off early in the series. Sort of sends yet another message that this is not your average cop show.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Campion said:

That's a perfect analogy. Makes me wonder if that might have been Michael Mann's point--here's your standard cop-show lieutenant, and he gets killed off early in the series. Sort of sends yet another message that this is not your average cop show.  

Do you think Michael Mann responsible for recruiting Edward James Olmos?

On 11/19/2018 at 7:25 PM, RedDragon86 said:

Do you think Michael Mann responsible for recruiting Edward James Olmos?

I would think so yes - although I loved Lou. The actor didn’t like filming in Miami. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 10/12/2012 at 6:04 AM, SonnyCrockettBurnett01 said:

Lol can you imagine what the series would've been like if Rodriguez would've stayed on the show? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have lasted as long.Because pretty much the people that kept MV going was Crockett, Tubbs and Castillo.

I think he still would have sided with Crockett. In a different way than Castillo did and louder but still effectively. Not sure nor I can say if his character would have lasted it long. We'll never know.

On 10/14/2012 at 8:31 PM, Spyder said:

That's the illusion of TV for ya ... characters may have the best rapport and chemistry but the actors playing them hate each other in real life. Olmos and Johnson didn't like working together at all but kept it up for five years. Look at episodes with great Castillo/Crockett scenes, like God's Work or To Have and To Hold ... it's hard to portray that closeness between characters when you dislike the actor you're working with.

...and the scene in Miami Squeeze

If he stays then obviously all the Castillo-centric episodes would have to go. So no Bushido or Golden Triangle etc. That alone changes the dynamic of the series. Either they make some Lou-centric eps with whatever backstory he might've had (we'll never really know now) or they could've taken some of the prototype background they would've used for Castillo and apply it to Lou somehow instead. I can see him being some sort of veteran in southeast Asia but it would be hilarious to see him hiding on the ceiling with a Katana. But a backstory like that could tie into his unexplained Immaculate Heart money.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

If he stays then obviously all the Castillo-centric episodes would have to go. So no Bushido or Golden Triangle etc. That alone changes the dynamic of the series. Either they make some Lou-centric eps with whatever backstory he might've had (we'll never really know now) or they could've taken some of the prototype background they would've used for Castillo and apply it to Lou somehow instead. I can see him being some sort of veteran in southeast Asia but it would be hilarious to see him hiding on the ceiling with a Katana. But a backstory like that could tie into his unexplained Immaculate Heart money.

The money was actually explained in the pilot script if I remember correctly. Lou says he won a long shot triple at the race track, and then tells Sonny not to mention it to his wife.

I think if Lou would have stayed you never would have seen "lieutenant background stories" in any real way. Those were, I think, a function of EJO's control over his character and the need of the show to work that control into things. If you think back to other cop shows, the boss never really features in episodes in a meaningful way (at least in this era of TV). That might have been good in a way, because it would have freed up screen time for the other members of the squad (which again was in keeping with standards of the time).

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

Yes I think that could have worked. Definitely not over the top as the scene with Castillo hiding on the ceiling with the katana. Someone like Rodriguez could have been part of army military intelligence for example. :rauchen: That could be my idea for my potential fan fiction...

• Like 2