Lou Rodriguez

SonnyCrockettBurnett01

Just now, sdiegolo78 said:

Yes I think that could have worked. Definitely not over the top as the scene with Castillo hiding on the ceiling with the katana. Someone like Rodriguez could have been part of army military intelligence for example. :rauchen: That could be my idea for my potential fan fiction...

No...Lou's more of a career MP if anything, although he's a touch old for Vietnam.

11 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

No...Lou's more of a career MP if anything, although he's a touch old for Vietnam.

MP? maybe..US involvement in Vietnam war started around 1964 and considering Lou could be born between the late 1930s and early 40s (Sierra was born in 1937), I'd say he would have still been eligible...

I'd like to go against the grain a little bit. For I appreciate EJO and his Castillo portrayal, I wouldn't have minded had G.Sierra stuck around for longer. Yes, It had that late 70s/early 80s cop vibe but it wasn't that detrimental in my view. At least early on, but of course we will never know cause he left the series after a few episodes. I really enjoyed the scenes with Sonny, the shouting contests and the banter between the two:). He could put Sonny to his place (Castillo could do it too, albeit differently with his staredown). They really had a close relationship knowing each other for years. And looking like a non trendy and more ordinary/traditional cop than C&T, I think he provided some balance to keep it more grounded to reality (if you know what i mean).
And Joe Pantoliano's captain Howard from Bad Boys reminds me very much of Lou Rodriguez. Similar style and demeanor.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in this topic but without reading the entire thread again I'll just repeat that Sierra left because of the Miami heat.  (and no, I don't mean the NBA team) :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sdiegolo78 said:

MP? maybe..US involvement in Vietnam war started around 1964 and considering Lou could be born between the late 1930s and early 40s (Sierra was born in 1937), I'd say he would have still been eligible...

Military Police. And US combat troops were committed in 1965, although advisors were there earlier. The major build-up was between 1965 and 1966.

42 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in this topic but without reading the entire thread again I'll just repeat that Sierra left because of the Miami heat.  (and no, I don't mean the NBA team) :)

One of the dangers of necroposting is missing those earlier nuances.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

I think of this, which Vice certainly didn't need.

&more:)

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Haha 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb RedDragon86:

Did Gregory Sierra really leave because Miami was too hot? or not liking living there.

Originally producers planned to film the series completely in LA, like they later did with CSI Miami that was not filmed on location at all (and it showed, a bad series with an award main actor in my opinion).

Gregory Sierra obviously believed in that plan and the audition for the pilot was in early 1984 whereas the decision to film the whole series in Miami was made after the regular episodes were ordered which happened after the pilot was filmed and positively received by test audiences.

Thus, Sierra left because he did not want to live in Miami during a long running series. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

I guess Lou Rodriguez wasn't much of a fan of the Sunblazers; what I liked about them them was that Matt Ferguson couldn't...play...poorly.

1 hour ago, Bren10 said:

Probably both, as the heat is part of the living conditions there. And pre-Vice the place wasn't in very good shape.

This is true about Miami at that time. Don Johnson said in a 2014 Rolling Stone article when he got off the plane for shooting the pilot, he "could smell the pressure-cooker of violence in the air". Looking back, I think the whole venture of shooting in Miami was pretty ballsy.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

The money was actually explained in the pilot script if I remember correctly. Lou says he won a long shot triple at the race track, and then tells Sonny not to mention it to his wife.

I think if Lou would have stayed you never would have seen "lieutenant background stories" in any real way. Those were, I think, a function of EJO's control over his character and the need of the show to work that control into things. If you think back to other cop shows, the boss never really features in episodes in a meaningful way (at least in this era of TV). That might have been good in a way, because it would have freed up screen time for the other members of the squad (which again was in keeping with standards of the time).

i don't see a cop playing horses. even though in theory it can happen

18 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

i didn't know this. even though i smell another reason. i mean there are AC, and it's just the caribbeans. who doesn't like the caribbeans

29 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

This is true about Miami at that time. Don Johnson said in a 2014 Rolling Stone article when he got off the plane for shooting the pilot, he "could smell the pressure-cooker of violence in the air". Looking back, I think the whole venture of shooting in Miami was pretty ballsy.

this is interesting. who knows what would have happened to Miami without the focus the series brought upon it. maybe it would have turned into one of these super high criminality areas

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

i don't see a cop playing horses. even though in theory it can happen

i didn't know this. even though i smell another reason. i mean there are AC, and it's just the caribbeans. who doesn't like the caribbeans

this is interesting. who knows what would have happened to Miami without the focus the series brought upon it. maybe it would have turned into one of these super high criminality areas

I'm glad the Rodriguez plot thread was left as it was: with the horse story it sounds like things would've gotten lumpy. I think Lou went out nice & clean, with some dignity & sadness expressed along with that.

I don't know, warm weather sounds good to me. L.A. isn't my bag, but I suppose that's what Gregory Sierra liked.

"Miami Vice" did a great service to Miami, and I think Florida overall: cleaned up things, brought in more tourism, and added some glamor to an area once blighted. I can't think of another TV show or film that had such an affect on a community. Vice real has, as Tony Amato said about himself, "The juice".

• Like 2

Gerade eben schrieb sdiegolo78:

David Caruso?

yes, as talented as an actor as a hydrant. one face expression zero charisma.

• Haha 1

Just now, sdiegolo78 said:

David Caruso?

I kind of liked that show myself, and Caruso doesn't bother me: I think his goal was to be a movie star, which he spent the 1980's trying to be, and he thought "NYPD Blue" was his golden ticket. Well, he miscalculated, but I can't blame someone for going for their intended goal and not settling.

46 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Looking back, I think the whole venture of shooting in Miami was pretty ballsy.

They shot Scarface a year before the MV pilot and the city of Miami wasn't any safer....if not worse

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sdiegolo78 said:

They shot Scarface a year before the MV pilot and the city of Miami wasn't any safer....if not worse

That's true; "Scarface" is given some credit for drawing attention to the Miami blight, but don't forget that film also had many scenes shot in L.A., so it's kind of a hybrid in that regard. Honestly, I wish the entire film was shot in Miami, but the way the film is put together I think it all looks like Miami.

2 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

That's true; "Scarface" is given some credit for drawing attention to the Miami blight, but don't forget that film also had many scenes shot in L.A., so it's kind of a hybrid in that regard. Honestly, I wish the entire film was shot in Miami, but the way the film is put together I think it all looks like Miami.

I just found the Scarface locations, very interesting read:

https://maps.roadtrippers.com/trips/14054640

For instance, the chainsaw scene was shot in Miami :rauchen:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

That is definitely pretty cool, and pointing out the other locales is tasty (just like Johnny Rockets) info; reminds me of when I played the video game "Scarface: The World is Yours" and there was that Sun Ray Hotel Redux mission.

....and yes, shooting MV on location in Miami was, besides appropriate choice, quite ballsy as you put it. The cast members, from their interviews, recalled the streets were desert and they could shoot at any time and even 'shoot a cannon' as DJ said once. Then in later years the Miami police was there to close off the streets while the crew and actors were filming.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sdiegolo78 said:

....and yes, shooting MV on location in Miami was, besides appropriate choice, quite ballsy as you put it. The cast members, from their interviews, recalled the streets were desert and they could shoot at any time and even 'shoot a cannon' as DJ said once. Then in later years the Miami police was there to close off the streets while the crew and actors were filming.

Yeah, I heard that things were something of a ghost town early. I get the feeling that, without everyone knowing the area wasn't purposely being closed off so they could shoot scenes in peace, that could be a bit spooky.

14 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

i heard scarface wasn't well reviewed at its beginnings

14 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

a Miami cop once said in an interview he found the chainsaw scene totally realistic for the era

• Like 1