Lou Rodriguez

SonnyCrockettBurnett01

On 3/7/2021 at 4:27 AM, jpaul1 said:

i heard scarface wasn't well reviewed at its beginnings

a Miami cop once said in an interview he found the chainsaw scene totally realistic for the era

Critics bashed the cojones out of "Scarface" at first, basically saying it glorified crime & violence. Leonard Maltin's review stated that there are no lessons to learn from the film other than that crime doesn't pay (wait, isn't that a lesson?). I guess martin Scorsese said to Brian De Palma that "they" (meaning the people within the Hollywood system) will hate the film because it's about them. audiences though, I think most liked it from the start, and in the minds of many it's grown into a classic over time (for me, it's one of those films I can view over & over and not get sick of, like any number of Vice episodes:shout:).

• Like 1

when i first watched it i found it bad, really bad. i mean it's just about an as...e getting rich. but weirdly enough the more i watched it, the more i thought it was pretty good. i mean eveything is plausible into that movie, thus can't be critized

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

when i first watched it i found it bad, really bad. i mean it's just about an as...e getting rich. but weirdly enough the more i watched it, the more i thought it was pretty good. i mean eveything is plausible into that movie, thus can't be critized

One thing I like about "Scarface" is how someone once described what they thought how the pacing of the film went: slow slow, then REAL fast, then slow, then fast again...there's a lot of mayhem (yeah, some of these drug dealers are REALLY that outrageous with their methods of murder), but enough downtime to where I can decompress from it and await the next assault on my senses:-).

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 5:46 PM, sdiegolo78 said:

...and the scene in Miami Squeeze

Exactly, one of the best scenes at the end with Sonny and Marty in the hospital — probably the only moment where Castillo loses faith in himself and questions if the team still believes in him. "You're the glue, man," reassures Crockett.

It's scenes like those that make me just want to believe that actors like DJ and EJO were best friends.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 1:11 AM, Bren10 said:

I think of this, which Vice certainly didn't need.

This is my favorite commanding officer in cinema, and sort of 'Lou Rodriguez descendant' in the Metro Dade Narcotics :)

This scene is even better:

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1