Greatest 80's Songs

timm525

Thomas Dolby is a great musician and producer but I think he has always been rather underrated when it comes to being an artist and song writer.

Screen Kiss is a beautiful yet tragic song that oozes with atmosphere and One of Our Submarines might be one of his finest tunes.

Both The Golden Age of Wireless (1982) and The Flat Earth (1984) are pure 80s classics and Thomas deserves more credit than just being labeled as yet another forgotten "one-hit-wonder" of the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIBJw6WrrHk

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Don't think I've posted any Stray Cats here before, but they're my favourite band from the 80s. I absolutely LOVE Rockabilly music.

Their cover of Buddy Holly's "I'm Looking For Someone to Love", featured on the episode 'Love At First Sight'.

Edited by SL1DE
  • Like 2

Don't think I've posted any Stray Cats here before, but they're my favourite band from the 80s. I absolutely LOVE Rockabilly music.

Their cover of Buddy Holly's "I'm Looking For Someone to Love", featured on the episode 'Love At First Sight'.

Love the Stray Cats remind me a little of The Blasters 

The beautiful and talented Suzanne Vega.

Shame that all the norwegian radio stations for the last 27 years seems to think she's only written one song, Luka and ignores the rest.

• Like 1

One of their best IMHO!

as a big The Fixx fan I agree with you,but as for my personal choice the Fixx song One Thing Leads To Another is the best and to me its full of 80s vibe :cool:  :radio: 

as a big The Fixx fan I agree with you,but as for my personal choice the Fixx song One Thing Leads To Another is the best and to me its full of 80s vibe :cool:  :radio:

Love this one - great sound  :D

• Like 1

Roxy music it's one of my favorite artists. My favorite songs of his are "Avalon", "More than this" and "Same Old Scene".

Edited by CrockettFan333
  • Like 1

Great choices guys. I would add one on my favorite songs *ever*. Mr Mister's "Stand And Deliver", form Go On..., 1988.

The song was written for Tina Turner by masters of songwriting Richard Page, Steve George and John Lang. It was used for the movie with the same title featuring Eddie Olmos and Lou Diamond Phillips (who also performed on MV). The movie is amazing as the song is. Strongly recommended.

And if you never heard the album, go get it. Don't even think about it.

Enjoy

Edited by Jerry B.

• Administrators

Sorry for double post. On mobile and browser crashed.

Edited by SL1DE
  • Like 1

• Administrators

This sounds like it was made by Jan Hammer, tailor made for Miami Vice.  haha. Good song.

• Like 3

Paul Simon - Graceland (1986)
And I see losing love
Is like a window in your heart
Everybody sees you're blown apart
Everybody sees the wind blow

Don Henley from his 1984 album Building the Perfect Beast. Always thought this was vice material.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzjfoa_don-henley-sunset-grill_music

(sorry no youtube clip that I could find of the studio version)

Let's go down to the Sunset GrillWe can watch the working girls go byWatch the basket people walk around and mumbleAnd stare out at the auburn sky

There's an old man there from the Old WorldTo him, it's all the sameCalls all his customers by name

Down at the Sunset GrillDown at the Sunset GrillDown at the Sunset GrillDown at the Sunset Grill

You see a lot more meanness in the cityIt's the kind that eats you up insideHard to come away with anything that feels like dignityHard to get home with any pride

These days a man makes you somethin'And you never see his faceBut there is no hiding place

Down at the Sunset GrillDown at the Sunset GrillDown at the Sunset GrillDown at the Sunset Grill

Respectable little murders payThey get more respectable every dayDon't worry girl, I'm gonna stick by youAnd someday soon we're gonna get in that car and get outta here

Let's go down to the Sunset GrillWatch the working girls go byWatch the basket people walk around and mumbleGaze out at the auburn sky

Maybe we'll leave come springtimeMeanwhile, have another beerWhat would we do without all these jerks anyway?Besides, all our friends are here

Winwood, from his 1988 album Roll with It. One of his best, even if it was used in a beer commercial back in the day . :)

"Don't You Know What The Night Can Do?" 

Hear the night music playing? Don't you know what it's saying?We should feel it together foreverFeel the beat and just hold on to the sweet midnight flowingFeel the music inside you, I'll be there tooNow's the time that our dreams are finally coming trueFeels so good we're cryingNow's the time when it's down to me and youSpread these wings - we'll be flyingDon't you know what the night can do?Don't you know when it's touching you?Don't you know what the night can do?Time to show all your feeling, all the night is revealingLet the rhythm enfold you, let me hold youAnd we turn into music, now we never will lose itWhen the rhythm and night ride, no heart can hideThere are times that never ever come again, memories there for makingWhen the night comes, we better let it in, all this love for the takingDon't you know what the night can do?Don't you know when it's touching you?Won't you help me to let it through?Don't you know what the night can do?

• Like 2