What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

This takes me back to my childhood. <3

We have the album for this from 1999. I was 5 when it came out, wow. Seems like only yesterday.

I was in middle school back then. It was the last good era. It ended too soon and now it feels like it was a lifetime ago. I have a new appreciation for these songs and videos! Nowadays, I won't touch most music videos with a fifty-foot pole, it's all sleaze, shallowness, materialism, drugs, and more sleaze. Pop music back then was actually pretty good. Here's another pop gem from back in the good old days.

• Administrators

I was in middle school back then. It was the last good era. It ended too soon and now it feels like it was a lifetime ago. I have a new appreciation for these songs and videos! Nowadays, I won't touch most music videos with a fifty-foot pole, it's all sleaze, shallowness, materialism, drugs, and more sleaze. Pop music back then was actually pretty good. Here's another pop gem from back in the good old days.

I already went through the 1997-1999 phase a few months ago. On New Years Eve I literally partied like it was 1999. :)

I made a playlist of 140 songs which made me feel nostalgic. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL9xYVyVtkAa1fkNQzLMnuhHlLjb2ld8l

I agree that todays music videos are probably worse than the songs themselves. It seems to always be objectifying women by making them dance sexually while half naked. I can only assume it is a desperate attempt to get peoples attention. 

But the lyrics themselves, always have to be about sex, drinking, and partying. Young people are growing up, listening to that crap and it's brainwashing them to do what the lyrics of the songs say to do. It is basically encouraging them to go out, get wasted, and have sex with a complete stranger. Most people would probably think I'm crazy for thinking this, but it is completely true that music influences a person.

The music business itself has changed a lot in the past 10 years especially. No longer do local talented bands get on popular radio and on the music charts, it's always the same big commercial acts. The Rihanna's, Niki Minaj's, One Direction's... All that garbage. 

This has happened with movies too, in the past 10 years they've gotten very very filthy. It's rare to see a movie today without a nude sex scene. Pretty much all comedies now are about exactly that, drugs and sex. It's a joke, what has become of this world.

I can rant on forever, but that's enough. :)

That's it, James. You nailed it.

Music and cinema have always been business, an industry and a market, but - but - but - it didn't use to be the only one thing back then.

There's been a time where even a tycoon like Berry Gordy (Motown Records) could invest an extremely huge amount of money to second the vision of an artist like Stevie Wonder and come up with one of the greatest records of all times. It was also a commercial success (released in1976, it's still in the stores). But - most of all - it was an incredible work of art.

As a great producer said, music used to be more musical. Take whatever genre you like and make a comparision. Even the worst disco track of the 70s/80s was a lot more "musical".

Movies went the same way: once you used to go to the theatre to watch and see a story, now people just wants to be raped. Everything, from the storyline to the sounds etc is pure violence. And I mean conceptual violence, not violent scenes. To me, the only one man that still shoots old way is Clint Eastwood, my favorite director. I could say I only saw his movies in the last 15 years.

That's de-evolution, folks. Those guys from Akron were right.

• Administrators

Music used to be art, the lyrics used to tell a story from the artists' soul. It was something meaningful. 

I completely agree with you, James, you speak the truth! And it's really sad how most people would think it's crazy to just say the truth and be wiser person, it shows how stupid this world is. Music really did used to come from the artists and musicians' souls and was a way to connect and relate to our feelings as human beings and give a meaningful message. But now everything today is just a bunch of sleazy crap made by vapid mindless people. It's not tasteful, artistic sex and nudity. It's just filth and sleazy trash. Listen to the lyrics of most rap songs, and watch the videos that go along with them. Same goes for pop. There is no meaning in anything anymore. It's all vapid and mindless. And people these days all seem to think it's what's "cool". Back then, there was true depth, meaning, and emotion behind the songs. Nowadays it's just f word, n word, b word, a bunch more derogatory words towards women, and degrading and objectifying women, and talking about how "cool" it is to sleep with strangers and have numerous sex partners. It's all a steaming pile of the s word if you ask me, and I truly feel sorry for kids having to grow up with that.  

I feel grateful that I got a chance to grow up in an era that wasn't like this. That's another thing I love about grunge/alternative rock. They didn't objectify and degrade women. There was no sexual innuendo in the lyrics and videos and album covers. They didn't show women in a degrading and demeaning way, they didn't view women as objects, but as human beings. They really fought against things like sexism, misogyny, racism, superficiality, materialism. They were all about substance and not image, and that made them truly sexy and attractive guys to me in a real and deep way, instead of an insipid, shallow way. If you look at the videos for the songs I've been posting recently, you'll see how they have such true, real meaning and depth, where the artists really feel and convey those emotions and it really resonates on a deeper level. 

That generation really tried to change things and make things better. Even in the 80s, there was a lot of stuff degrading women (the hair bands and their lyrics and videos, and way they behaved). But in the 90s and early 00s, rock music actually became something meaningful and not just meaningless sex, drugs, party, sleazy, money, etc. Even most of the pop stars then weren't sleazy and superficial. Music videos actually made sense, not Nicki Minaj, Pharell, Bieber, Pitbull and a million other idiots that society calls "artists" these days waving naked asses in the camera whilst singing moronic lyrics. Kids had good role models, and people to emulate in the musicians of that era, now they have complete morons that are brainwashing them with disgusting, horrible messages. Girls thinking their role in life is to be sex objects, and boys thinking it's okay and normal to degrade women, and act like thugs because everywhere they look, the media is telling them this is what is cool.

Look at how t.v. is full of mindless morons like Kardashians and a thousand other "reality" shows and sitcoms. It's awful. I don't know whether to feel grateful or sad that I got to experience the later part of a great era, and now sadly it's gone forever. I actually remember that time when good artists were mainstream and played on the radio, and on MTV channel. Good music was still current and coming out every week, and every month, and every year. Even then, I still feel like I missed out on it, because by the time I graduated high school, it was over, and all this stupid garbage was ushered in. Now, it's crap that sells, and because it's what's current, it's all this younger generation knows. Someone give me a time machine and send back to a perpetual year 2000.

Edited by viceystyle
  • Like 3

• Administrators

Good music is still being made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7_foo7rE3k

These guys used to get a lot of plays on popular radio, but that was 2005. Back when rock used to be allowed on pop radio.

And they're still making great music, only... No radio plays.

There's gotta be something fishy going on behind the scenes, something which prevents these guys and others like them - who actually put effort into their music, from getting on it. Capitalism at its finest.