What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

I just realized that the synth stabs from the Van Halen song "Jump" sound very similar to the ones from the Castranova hit scene in Calderone's Return: :)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

I just realized that the synth stabs from the Van Halen song "Jump" sound very similar to the ones from the Castranova hit scene in Calderone's Return: :)

I’ve often thought that Jan was at least a little subliminally influenced by Jump with this cue, as it had heavy radio play all throughout 1984–and still today, I might add. It’s certainly proof that good lyrics aren’t needed for good music. :) 

Edited by Dadrian

3 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

another one of George Michael's more moody and "jazzy" songs:

I’ve always imagined George asked the sax player, “Can you just play like Stan Getz?”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daytona74 said:

so what kind of synth were they using for those stabs? Would those have come from a Roland or something?

Eddie used the Oberheim OB-Xa (also a favorite synth of Jan, I believe). Maybe Jan ‘s OB-Xa made a cameo in that cue. Who knows? The Roland Jupiter 8 or Moog Memorymoog could easily handle those kinds of sounds. I will say that the patch sounds smoother and less gritty when that cue reappears in “Bought and Paid For”. I would put my money on the Jupiter 8 for that version. 

Old Sting there looking a little lost while everybody was going all out ghospel choir on one of his all-time top selling songs... :p

But I'm sure he was happy about the royalties that he got from Puff Daddy  :)

• Like 1

On 10/6/2017 at 12:39 PM, Daytona74 said:

One of the coolest songs of 1987... unbelievable that it's been 30 years... ;)

Fantastic song!

• Administrators

The Midnight's new album.

7 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Whether you liked Guns 'n Roses or not, you'll have to agree that this song is worthy of its place in rock history:

I could only take 3 minutes of this video..........Bride dressed like a tramp, guys smoking in the church ......disgusting!  :thumbsdown:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Tony D.:

guys smoking in the church ......disgusting!  :thumbsdown:

hm... no... I think they're at the Rainbow Bar in Los Angeles, that legendary hangout which was frequented by people like Guns 'n Roses, as well as Alice Cooper, Ringo Starr, and even Elvis Presley.

(ok, just re-watched it... yeah, Slash is actually smoking inside the church during the vows. What a rebel... :p )

The video did win an MTV Video Music Award that year for Best Cinematography, you know... :)

Edited by Daytona74

19 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Whether you liked Guns 'n Roses or not, you'll have to agree that this song is worthy of its place in rock history:

I love Guns n' Roses. Makes me sad they never really did anything that lived up to their debut album though.