The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Interesting tag on Crossover from McBurnieWas cleaning up the car and took off the cover in the trunk on the subwolfers and on the crossover was this. Thought it was interesting, they must have expected to build alot if they were tagging the circuit boards

post-11100-13892965115888_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Was cleaning up the car and took off the cover in the trunk on the subwolfers and on the crossover was this. Thought it was interesting' date=' they must have expected to build alot if they were tagging the circuit boards[/quote']maybe at first but I think the typical build time was 6 months for one of them at mcburnie and that's with one car.

• 2 weeks later...

Found it!I'm a little torn at the decision to move this thread. Yes, Arturo is a complete ass and he's using the information here in a negative way. I just think this thread is so valuable to people like me and others looking for information that it makes me sad we can't really share it with anyone else. Hopefully it will soon pass and we can again use this as a place where anyone with a love of MV, Daytonas, and McBurnies can spend hours poring over this wealth of knowledge and, like me, get their dumb questions answered by the foremost experts on the planet of all things MV Daytona related.Thanks for the updates Kavinsky!Youngman, it looks like you sold your Daytona on eBay last week, looks like you got a good deal for it as well. There was another gorgeous red one in amazing shape that sold for $25,100 in the past few weeks, so looks like top notch replicas are going for between $25K - $30K still. Sad you parted with it but glad you got a reasonable price, congrats.Update on mine...she FINALLY goes in to the shop next week. It will be a big bill to get it mechanically back to mint condition (shocks, steering box, transmission work, engine work, A/C repair, etc.). Looking to be at least $6K in repairs, plus or minus a second mortgage. Visable/noticeable changes: just a Griot's garage compact Italian air horn and MV correct Vitaloni side mirrors. Went with the Griot's horn because it was less expensive than a true air horn setup, it's simpler (electric and not a compressor), and the notes are lower and more masculine (IMHO) than the Ferrari tones. I'll rarely if ever use it and, much like the fact that it's a replica and not a real Ferrari, 99% of those who hear it won't know the difference.If you're interested you can hear it here: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/compact+italian+air+horns.do?sortby=ourPicksReal Ferrari horn here, laughter included:

Will post pics, maybe before and after. This spring will replace the seats and hope to get that dam*! Ferrari sticker off my hood. Long story...-Brian W

Other comments...In the Red Tomato video he says it's a McBurnie but it's got Rowley door handles, similar to the real Ferrari. Wondering if it's a combination or something, to my knowledge all McBurnies used Alfa door handles.The Houston car is nice, I like the two tone leather interior...STILL looking for those Zenith/Dayton wire wheel chips. Been daily looking on eBay for 2 years and been to two local swap meets...the search continues! Many are similar, none are quite the same.I wanted S-B's dash when he was going to go with one like the MV car. Sounds like swapping dashes is a pain. Will keep my interior the same for now (will swap out for the 78-82 clam shell style seats) and spend some time figuring out what I want to do with my dash next year. Long term project car!If Crockett and Tubbs were fighting crime today they would definitely be in a convertible version of the new F12 Ferrari. The fact that Michael Mann, who I love for S1 and S2 and loathe for S3-S5 + MV2006, is wearing Wayfarers popularized in S1 and S2 is ironic. You owe us, Mr. Mann. You had a chance to rectify S3-S5 and you gave us...Colin Farrell. Might as well have been Will Ferrell.Happy holidays to all.BW

Well with the red one it was in a film that was made in 1989 and chances are just like the actual vice car it at one point visited rowley corvette for work, or had parts ordered from there by its owner.as the door panels on the vice car are rowley's with a modified stock arm rest, stock inner door handles in the same color as the interior to match the saddle leather interior (the only reminants of the original door we saw on the show probably) and it looks like its reinforced around the area where it connects to the door with the grab handle so that's not that surprising and for the carl roberts cars they use these door handles:http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0069/index.htmlEingefügtes Bildcan tell its a carl roberts one just by the mazda door handles and the flares appear to be modded, like there smaller in the back vs the mcburnie here

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr0DLJ9QzPk

or maybe the nose was redonehttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7308&stc=1&d=1355885199 so its complete congruent all the way around the nose like here on Jurrasics before he switched it over to square headlightsEingefügtes Bildlook closely at how the light hits the front flares or both as the mcburnie rear flares stick out more than the front ones, on that one and jurrasics it looks like there both the same sizeby the way the yellow one there, a latter mcburnie with one square headlight instead of two, a sign that it was a latter car is using 225's in the front and 235's in the rear just like on yours just with 15 inch rims instead of 14's, and I believe those rims were exclusive to the mcburnies. also is this the airhorn here too?
by the way this might be worth looking into given how old the cars are now:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRLXKW2ph0w

it would probably save you some work down the line and help with the hot weather

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to mention this but the model kit that I said I think was used for the daytona destruction scene here

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkJvfET2-L0

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7394&stc=1&d=1357092222http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7393&stc=1&d=1357092213actually has separate axels and the like and looks like it could have been legitimately used as a stand in for the daytona's destruction scene, given the lack of debris flying upwards and around during the scene in the sandpit when they turn back to the actors to get Don's reaction to its destruction kind of shows why in a nutshell there is no substitute for physical models vs CGI actually, as it even fooled Carl Roberts into thinking they legitimately destroyed a car there.and the audience as well, I came across a post on a car forum awhile back about the replicas where one of the guys said he legitimately cried when he saw its destruction, if he's out there I hope he sees this post!but the problem with CGI is that up close and personal there is just no way light can be properly reflected off of a CGI model to make it believable, something they knew in the latest bond film with skyfall, they used a physical mock up for the close ups with CGI to make it look like they legitimately damaged and destroyed a DB5, a car as rare as any daytona and is now going for upwards of about 200K. and it did fool me until I read that on the IMCDB, where it showed photos of them using a mock up, but I figured as much as the car is just way too rare nowadays to even use it like that.and judging by the box art there this model is from the same era as the show, so there's probably a good chance this was the very model kit used for it.hmph I guess this is warranted then

post-592-13892965184504_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965185706_thumb.jpg

Funny you mentioned plastic models...My friend was stroling through a flee market a couple weeks ago and found a mint unopened kit and bought it for me.I now have to get some good quality modelling spray paint and goodies and assemble it.Should be fun. HAVEN'T BUILT A MODEL FOR YEARS!

• Like 1

lol indeed although I need to find the missing parts of Sulu's ship and finish the USS Excelsior up firstI was in the midst of trying trying to make it look more grey and advanced like it did in Star Trek 3 instead of the latter appearances in the tv shows where its too white and glowyhttp://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090606201731/memoryalpha/en/images/6/6a/USS_Excelsior_in_Spacedock.jpghttp://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050224030930/memoryalpha/en/images/6/64/USS_Valley_Forge.jpg by mixing paints and all before I decided to focus on other things for awhileand I gotta finish it up before I move on to a few other kits I have lying around, namely of the Gotha 229 batwinged fighter of WW2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sHnbd5Ha_Ibut If I find that 1/24 of the TR and that one though I'm certainly going to buy it and make it.try a few of my mods out on the TR though, white metallic paint namely and some NX work on the lines over the air intakes

either that or irish eyes silver black metallicalso found this kind of interesting, not sure if that daytona is custom made but it has the alfa handles of the replica and the square mirrors of it, just painted to match the bodyhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/48430877@N06/6305841283/

Lawsuit infoThis case has been used as case law in many lawsuits since thenFerrari S.p.A. Esercizio Fabbriche Automobili e Corse v. McBurnieIn Ferrari S.p.A. Esercizio Fabbriche Automobili e Corse v. McBurnie, the court also found that the mark had not been abandoned due to its residual good will. 11 U.S.P.Q.2d 1843 (S.D. Cal. 1989). Ferrari manufactured 127 convertibles in the name SPYDER. The car became popular under the name DAYTONA SPYDER due to its success at the Daytona Florida racing track. Ferrari ceased manufacturing the SPYDER car but continuously manufactured mechanical and body parts for the repair and servicing for its DAYTONA cars, and the DAYTONA SPYDER car was still driven at the time of the appeal. Id. at 1845. The court therefore concluded that Ferrari never intended to abandon its rights in or use of the DAYTONA SPYDER trade dress and had not abandoned its rights. Id. at 1849. Here is link to 20 page Carl Roberts Lawsuit citing Mcburnie case lawhttp://cyber.law.harvard.edu/IPCoop/91ferr1.htmlJust FYI, Bob

but the problem with CGI is that up close and personal there is just no way light can be properly reflected off of a CGI model to make it believable' date=' something they knew in the latest bond film with skyfall, they used a physical mock up for the close ups with CGI to make it look like they legitimately damaged and destroyed a DB5, a car as rare as any daytona and is now going for upwards of about 200K. and it did fool me until I read that on the IMCDB, where it showed photos of them using a mock up, but I figured as much as the car is just way too rare nowadays to even use it like that.[/quote']Skyfall actually used 3 1/3 scale models of the Aston Martin to make the movie - they really do look real. Seehttp://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-11/james-bond-aston-martin-db5-3d-printed-modeland http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/12/voxeljet-3d-printer-skyfalls-aston-martin-stunt-double/

gotta wonder though did the director kept a spare one for himself after the shooting was done? and a 1/3rd model like that even just for the body must have been a serious expense' date=' let alone 18 of themas I think some of the CMC models go upwards of something like a couple hundred bucks if not more and that's only 1:18not to mention I think this one is 1:3 as well:[url']
on a different matter though just from the sound of it with the daytona case file does that mean that legally ferrari themselves cant call the 365 GTB/4 a daytona? it kind of sounds like that from the wording there.like they themselves would get sued by the track for using that name for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Ferrari S.p.A. Esercizio Fabbriche Automobili e Corse v. McBurnieIn Ferrari S.p.A. Esercizio Fabbriche Automobili e Corse v. McBurnie" data-date=" the court also found that the mark had not been abandoned due to its residual good will. 11 U.S.P.Q.2d 1843 (S.D. Cal. 1989). Ferrari manufactured 127 convertibles in the name SPYDER. The car became popular under the name DAYTONA SPYDER due to its success at the Daytona Florida racing track. Ferrari ceased manufacturing the SPYDER car but continuously manufactured mechanical and body parts for the repair and servicing for its DAYTONA cars, and the DAYTONA SPYDER car was still driven at the time of the appeal. [I">

Id. at 1845. The court therefore concluded that Ferrari never intended to abandon its rights in or use of the DAYTONA SPYDER trade dress and had not abandoned its rights. Id. at 1849.

Here is link to 20 page Carl Roberts Lawsuit citing Mcburnie case lawhttp://cyber.law.harvard.edu/IPCoop/91ferr1.htmlJust FYI, Bob
Thanks for posting and an interesting read, Youngman. :cool:

Hopefully it will soon pass and we can again use this as a place where anyone with a love of MV' date=' Daytonas, and McBurnies can spend hours poring over this wealth of knowledge and, like me, get their dumb questions answered by the foremost experts on the planet of all things MV Daytona related.[/quote']Amen to that.
Youngman, it looks like you sold your Daytona on eBay last week, looks like you got a good deal for it as well. There was another gorgeous red one in amazing shape that sold for $25,100 in the past few weeks, so looks like top notch replicas are going for between $25K - $30K still. Sad you parted with it but glad you got a reasonable price, congrats
.Youngman's car was in EXCEPTIONAL condition, and the interior was pristene compared to any other car I have seen on the market. I too am glad his car commanded a good price but I still think most are not even close to the condition his was in, and so should probably go for a much lower range (sub $20). The reason I say that is the cost to bring them back into display condition can run many thousands of dollars. I already have around $8K in mine and I still have the interior to re-do as well as some more mechanical work.
Update on mine...she FINALLY goes in to the shop next week. It will be a big bill to get it mechanically back to mint condition (shocks, steering box, transmission work, engine work, A/C repair, etc.). Looking to be at least $6K in repairs, plus or minus a second mortgage. Visable/noticeable changes: just a Griot's garage compact Italian air horn and MV correct Vitaloni side mirrors. Went with the Griot's horn because it was less expensive than a true air horn setup, it's simpler (electric and not a compressor), and the notes are lower and more masculine (IMHO) than the Ferrari tones. I'll rarely if ever use it and, much like the fact that it's a replica and not a real Ferrari, 99% of those who hear it won't know the difference.
Glad you are making progress on yours. Interesting on that air horn, I'll need to have a look at that as mine is a simple plastic horn meant to sound European. I do think the Vitalonis add a lot to appearance vs the standard conical Ferrari style mirrors.

Yes' date=' the trim line (where the tan bulge runs across) was to link from door to door. It is a shame to me that this interior was not really recognized for the great look it had. MOst people imply look at it and see that it wasn't just like a Ferrari[/quote']Tan bulge? Are you referring to the tach/speedo rounded or oval shaped trim piece?I think it is a great look also and eventually would like to have mine similar, but still no dash assembly.

No' date=' the key to the dash is a distinctive look while retaining the Corvette instuments and controls. The left side of the dash is raised slightly and the the center and passenger side are lowered. The back side of the dash (from the inside) still follows the Corvette line where the dash meets the windshield. The look is finished, and yet the lines don't look too Vette-ish. The raised area on the right side just keeps the main attachment points of the dash consistent.The other dash was a faux-Ferrari dash that many tried to get to look correct and work with the Corvette guage wiring. Everyone I have talked with about this dash says the wiring (or re-wiring) is a nightmare. Because the indicator lights have to be seperate from the guage faces (while on a real car they are bult in to the speedo and tach faces) that dash never looks like it should.The Vette instrument package was highly functional for the time. By retaining the center gauges and the Speed/Tach pod, the early McBurnies had the best instumentation and a unique look. But when everyone started trying to replicate the Ferrari the gauge pods wouldn't work.As far as I know, even today you can't find gauges that have built in indicators for a kit car. And gauge face companies are reluctant to put the Ferrari logo on gauge faces (I tried).If it weren't for having the speedo recalibrated I would have a face made for the speedo and tach with the Mardikian logo. I doubt anyone would object to that!![/quote']Not sure I'm following you about indicator lights being "built in" as the guages on mine are part of a central cluster above the steering column and the indicator lights are shown as rounded multicolored raised bulbs. However one frustration I have is that I don't know what the function is for some of these lights and, therefore, whether they are functional. I looked for vintage Stewart-Warner clusters like mine to see if I could find a reference chart....Nada. As to Ferrari logos....mine has none on the clusters or anywhere for that matter, other than the genuine Ferrari lenses and hood badge.

Not sure I'm following you about indicator lights being "built in" as the guages on mine are part of a central cluster above the steering column and the indicator lights are shown as rounded multicolored raised bulbs. However one frustration I have is that I don't know what the function is for some of these lights and' date=' therefore, whether they are functional. I looked for vintage Stewart-Warner clusters like mine to see if I could find a reference chart....Nada. As to Ferrari logos....mine has none on the clusters or anywhere for that matter, other than the genuine Ferrari lenses and hood badge.[/quote']Buy the Rowley Manual, which I think is still available, it has a wiring diagram for the vette to faux Ferrari conversions.Some of the first Rowley cars had the indicator lights integrated into the guages like a factory production with the right turn signal inside the Speedo and the left turn indicator inside the Tach.

Buy the Rowley Manual' date=' which I think is still available, it has a wiring diagram for the vette to faux Ferrari conversions.Some of the first Rowley cars had the indicator lights integrated into the gauges like a factory production with the right turn signal inside the Speedo and the left turn indicator inside the Tach.[/quote']Ah I see what you meant now on "built-in", mine are not but are independent bulbs. Besides the 2 green turn signal bulbs at the top of the panel, I have 2 reds and 2 ambers clustered below the speedo and tach. (see photo below)One red is for the brakes, which lit when my Master Cylinder was failing. An amber is for the check engine light, which tends to come on when first starting and the cold engine runs at high RPMs. But as to the 2 others, I have no clue on their purpose. Thanks for the tip on the Rowley manual; I'll have to look for that.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7485[/ATTACH]

post-36-13892965248757_thumb.jpg

Yeah I think it might also be partly rigged up like it used to be on the earlier ones like brians with the separate tach and speedo on his 71' Mcburnie, so part of it might actually be wired like they used to be.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7486&stc=1&d=1359324956http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7487&stc=1&d=1359324958although while the Rowley manual might answer some questions looking at this it might not answer all of them, unless the wiring is still intact and they just moved them around slightly to be on the face of the gauge instead of sitting below ithttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7489&stc=1&d=1359324961http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7490&stc=1&d=1359324962vs a ferrari 308 speedo gaugehttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7488&stc=1&d=1359324959

post-592-13892965250083_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965250688_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965251221_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965251605_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892965252081_thumb.jpg

Yeah I think it might also be partly rigged up like it used to be on the earlier ones like brians with the separate tach and speedo on his 71' Mcburnie' date=' so part of it might actually be wired like they used to be.[img']http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7486&stc=1&d=1359324956http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7487&stc=1&d=1359324958
Assume these are Brian's or are these from something else??
although while the Rowley manual might answer some questions looking at this it might not answer all of them, unless the wiring is still intact and they just moved them around slightly to be on the face of the gauge instead of sitting below ithttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7489&stc=1&d=1359324961http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7490&stc=1&d=1359324962
If these are Rowley car gauges, take note of the Ferrari logo, which I thought was a big No No.

Assume these are Brian's or are these from something else??If these are Rowley car gauges' date=' take note of the Ferrari logo, which I thought was a big No No.[/quote']Those are some of the very earliest Rowley gauges with the Ferrari logo. THe Rowley manual gives the wire color and useage for 78-82 Vette wiring to add your own gauges of whatever brand. That might give you some help with your issues with the bulbs. I tried to upload a scan but it was too large, and the manual would give you some good information as well. I recommend it and the McBurnie Manual if you can find one.

Those are some of the very earliest Rowley gauges with the Ferrari logo. THe Rowley manual gives the wire color and useage for 78-82 Vette wiring to add your own gauges of whatever brand. That might give you some help with your issues with the bulbs. I tried to upload a scan but it was too large' date=' and the manual would give you some good information as well. I recommend it and the McBurnie Manual if you can find one.[/quote']So Rowley used Ferrari logos? I thought somewhere in this thread someone mentioned that Rowley stayed out of trouble, at least for awhile, with Ferrari by not using the Ferrari logos? I'll have to find that site and see if they have a manual for the Rowleys. Am guessing that I would need a vintage version though vs what they have today?The bulbs are confusing and not labeled. One unidentified red and one amber so assuming red is critical and amber is a warning, I am guessing the other red is oil temp or pressure. As to the other amber I have no idea. McBurnie manual....you know I have never seen one advertised anywhere. Anyone have any thoughts on where to look for that?

Assume these are Brian's or are these from something else??If these are Rowley car gauges' date=' take note of the Ferrari logo, which I thought was a big No No.[/quote']first one is off of a 1968 corvette, not brians but there probably one and the same as his is just 3 years younger than that one.could use a label maker or something once you figure out what each one is to keep track of themI think ferrari would have sued rowley as well but they just ran out of steam, the cost of the cars were exuberant anyways so it kept the numbers down for the rowley models given how they were built to higher standards than the mcburnies.plus the labeling thing, I guess after all that ferrari figured it wasnt worth it with them but Mcburine specifically advertized using ferrari badges and the like while rowley was on the downlow so to speak and in threat to that co operated with ferrari and told them not to put the badges onso mcburnie and carl were a higher value target given there cars being used on the show so to speak and getting known, unlike rowley.

• 2 weeks later...