The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Camera Daytona can tell you more' date=' but the brake pedal is for rear brakes only. A common stunt car addition that allows you to steer the wheel while the car slows (prior to anti-lock). With this you could steer through an obstacle' date=' or do bootleg turns, etc. The car has a seperate brake system for the other pedal.[/quote'']Ah I thought maybe he did that with the handbrake, not a separate pedal rigged up for it and I thought since its an auto it would probably have been rigged up that way as to protect the auto tranny while going backwards as he did the backwards spin out thing twice in the second season I thinknamely knock the thing into N as to disconnect the rear wheels from the tranny and alow it to spin freely backwards then engage again like I think you're supposed to do with a Clutch on a manual in a spin out, hold the clutch then reengage the gears when the cars stopped moving which I remember seeing this guy do with the Viper in this video at 5:06

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-YF72QgRIY&feature=player_embedded

but wait hold on does that mean that those two brake pedals work for the front and rear brakes separately respectively? or that one works for all 4 normally and then the other for the rears to allow for that kind of precision slide like he pulled in italy around the concreate barrier while chasing after the 906?

Actually from looking at several screen shots of the mirrors of car 4 in the show' date=' they look to have a slightly different shape to me than my Baby Tornados. And they always seemed to be slightly longer in some of the screen shots I have seen vs my Baby Tornados. There is one screenshot I have seen somewhere with Crockett sitting in the car alone and the mirror struck me as being slightly longer and deeper than my Baby Tornados. I'm hoping I am not seeing some camera effect but the mirror did look larger to me. This was the only one I could find but I have seen other screen shots that seemed to show the mirrors larger and having a slightly more deep frame. vs Mine:So I watched Ebay for some regular tornados and found this set, in metal (though I have no idea what material was used on the mirrors in the Show):So I emailed the seller and asked him to measure the regular Tornados and here is what he said ...the measurements of my Baby Tornado are shown to the right of each of his: Body width ( case ) = 7 1/4 " (vs mine.. BT at 6 3/8")Case Height = 4 3/8 " (vs BT at 3 7/8") Depth , frame and mirror back = 3 1/4 " (vs BT at 2 1/2") Foot Length = 5 " (vs BT at 4 7/8") Width = 1 1/4 " (vs BT at 1 1/4") Mirror = 6 3/8 " X 3 1/2 " (vs BT 5 1/2" X 3 1/4") frame width = 1 1/4 " (vs BT at 1 3/16") So if anyone has some better screen shots of Car 4 in the show we may see what I am referring to. I always thought the mirrors on the Show car had a slightly different Case shape and appeared slightly longer than my Baby Tornados. And the fact that these are metal (vs mine in plastic) could explain, assuming the show used metal mirrors, why I see the Car4 mirrors out of position often in the episodes as the weight of the metal on the foot bearings may cause them to shift or droop in the hot sun.Just something I have been wondering about for sometime after seeing a couple closeup screenshots somewhere.[/quote']OK guys - here are some shots that should help with the mirrors. This shows the markings on the mirror - 1) the front lower left, and 2) the rear lower left:[ATTACH=CONFIG]6623[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6624[/ATTACH]And here are some photos with a tape measure showing the dimensions:[ATTACH=CONFIG]6625[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6626[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6627[/ATTACH]And the mirrors are definitely plastic, not metal. I hope this helps. If you want any other info, let me know.The mirrors are pretty stiff to move up or down - at least at this point in their life. So, I would guess that wherever they appear in the show, they were probably set that way due to camera angles, vision, or ??? They do stick out so they are fairly easy to accidentally hit as you pass the car so that could have happened also.

post-61-13892964772128_thumb.jpg

post-61-13892964772556_thumb.jpg

post-61-13892964773018_thumb.jpg

post-61-1389296477343_thumb.jpg

post-61-13892964773764_thumb.jpg

Camera Daytona can tell you more' date=' but the brake pedal is for rear brakes only. A common stunt car addition that allows you to steer the wheel while the car slows (prior to anti-lock). With this you could steer through an obstacle' date=' or do bootleg turns, etc. The car has a seperate brake system for the other pedal.[/quote'']Correct - as JN says the car has two separate braking systems with the left pedal locking the rear brakes for doing stunts. Both cars were equipped with these systems so they could be used interchangeably.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-YF72QgRIY&feature=player_embedded but wait hold on does that mean that those two brake pedals work for the front and rear brakes separately respectively? or that one works for all 4 normally and then the other for the rears to allow for that kind of precision slide like he pulled in italy around the concreate barrier while chasing after the 906?

Great !:D

Correct - as JN says the car has two separate braking systems with the left pedal locking the rear brakes for doing stunts. Both cars were equipped with these systems so they could be used interchangeably.
so the silver one is for rear only then and the other one is a conventional brake set up then to brake all 4 wheels?that must be fun to drive when you gotta make a quick U turn!Hmm now that I think of it that would be much easier to use than a handbrake for that kind of thing' date=' just give it like 5 or 10 percent brake and hold on' date=' rather than pull up and risking putting it on a 100% of the way while under the gun.
OK guys - here are some shots that should help with the mirrors. This shows the markings on the mirror - 1) the front lower left, and 2) the rear lower left:[ATTACH=CONFIG]6623[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6624[/ATTACH]And here are some photos with a tape measure showing the dimensions:[ATTACH=CONFIG]6625[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6626[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6627[/ATTACH]And the mirrors are definitely plastic, not metal. I hope this helps. If you want any other info, let me know.The mirrors are pretty stiff to move up or down - at least at this point in their life. So, I would guess that wherever they appear in the show, they were probably set that way due to camera angles, vision, or ??? They do stick out so they are fairly easy to accidentally hit as you pass the car so that could have happened also.
Hmm so I guess when I thought the mirrors looked smaller in the photoshoot that Carl did with the TR stuntcar and car 4 right after its retirement my eyes did not deceve me then, someone did put the smaller mirrors on it:Eingefügtes BildI thought maybe it was just the angle. Hmm maybe they were changed because of the same reason the smoked plexy was taken off, for livability reasons and maybe someone found a way to stiffen it up without locktight then. possibily changing the bearings for something tighter with less play.
Great !Eingefügtes Bild
well I was and am a mopar guy, when growing up the two cars I absolutely loved where the first gen vipers, the RT/10 in particular in red and the 1986 countach LP500 like in the bought and paid for chase, except in red or a lovely dark blue like the one they had on top gear, although as time as gone on well I personally dont care for the RT/10 anymore instead I prefer the car it was a modern copy of, the Shelby Cobra.as well the viper just seems way too wide although ironically the seats in it, which I believe are ricardo remind me of the pilot seats in there look, which I always thought were cool looking.and the first gen viper steering wheel looks a hell of alot like the momo the daytona had on it in the show, so maybe thats why the daytona resonated with me so well, it had some cues from the viper with a much thinner, classic 60's design like body on it

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borrani-Milano-Daytona-Spyder-1973-Vintage-RW-4075-Ferrari-Knock-off-Wire-Wheel-/160866152331?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25745eaf8b&vxp=mtrjust found this while browsing, it sounds like the actual daytona used 15 inch wheels with the same size tires as the one rowley recommends that jurrasic is using on his car, the 215/70/R15's although it sounds like its 70 spoke, not 60 like on that 16' mcburnie example I found and 74 spoke like on the vice cars 14'shttp://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0050/index.htmlalso there was one other key shot that the Mirrors did look bigger in Sonny, this one from the Pilot where they do seem to be longer than what they are nowhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6674&stc=1&d=1345963299vs the babies on the 16 inch rim one and the girls with guns scene where they definitely look larger than that and the daytona today photos:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6673&stc=1&d=1345963297

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlLdi0YpGII

and this too, an actual daytona coupe in black with the rear tail light setup of the show cars:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnee/2699548924/actually Sonny while I think of it werent you going to post some new photos of the grill polished up with that new polish you found? I'm quite curious to see how the mcburnie grill looks polished up with the good stuff.Edit: just confirmed the 215/70/R15 thing here too, this was a separate photo I put in my images folder for just basic photos I save while browsing that I like and its of the million dollar daytona spyder I came across and you can just see the lettering on the tires and it lines up:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6675&stc=1&d=1345972256mind you it says VR instead of just R and it also says radial X and X W X, probably some european brand given the cars origins and the fact that the US didnt start using radial tires till 1973, although a fair amount of people who knew about how much safer the radials were for performance cars had been putting them on about 10 years prior sometimes, atleast that vette mechanic who wrote that vette book I read did with his C1 and C2 vettes in england.come to think about it though Jurrasic didnt you say there was an inch gap between the body and the tires on your car because of the rim size with these tires?

post-592-13892964806857_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964807363_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964807731_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked me up some new old stock Vitaloni Baby Tornados on ebay for $115/pair. Score! http://www.ebay.com/itm/160873656589?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. Was recommended another place to buy new online, would have been $160. Now I just gotta get my baby tuned up (yes, I know this has been like 18 months coming but I sold the Harley last weekend!). Stay tuned!

Just picked me up some new old stock Vitaloni Baby Tornados on ebay for $115/pair. Score! http://www.ebay.com/itm/160873656589?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. Was recommended another place to buy new online' date=' would have been $160. Now I just gotta get my baby tuned up (yes, I know this has been like 18 months coming but I sold the Harley last weekend!). Stay tuned![/quote']hey Brian steering wheel wise what are you shooting for exactly? the reason why I'm asking is because I found out that Momo made a wood wheel about the same size as the one on the vice cars (13.5 inch) called the momo italy which was used on this replica made by rowley:http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0072/index.htmland I can keep an eye out for one as I have seen about 2 or 3 occasionally pop up overtime on ebay if you want me to.although for the record that rowley has got one zenith gold wire wheel cap on the front left there and the yellow ferrari wheel caps of Sonny's car on it that looks more yellow on the rear and the rest of the tires, while the front left looks more amber like.so that should also give you sort of an idea what you want to go for wheel cap wise too actuallyalso chances are this is the rowley that was used in the rowley catalog posted on there website:http://rowleycorvette.com/gtc.html

I had to share this picture and its where I live Montreal,Quebec,Canada near the Montreal Forum where the Canadians NHL hockey team use to play before they moved to a new place.I was very surprised to see one since they are rare and I love them so muchEingefügtes Bild

is this a recent photo?

yep,its recent.Why?Forgot something its a ‎1972 Ferrari 365 gtb Daytona coupe if I am remembering I could be wrong,I have been reading and seeing so many Daytona's lately.My knowledge is so much on the Daytona

hey Brian steering wheel wise what are you shooting for exactly? the reason why I'm asking is because I found out that Momo made a wood wheel about the same size as the one on the vice cars (13.5 inch) called the momo italy which was used on this replica made by rowley:http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0072/index.htmland I can keep an eye out for one as I have seen about 2 or 3 occasionally pop up overtime on ebay if you want me to.

I do like that steering wheel! If you happen to see one shoot me a message. And good eye on those spinners. I know exactly what I'm looking for there but they're VERY hard to come by. I've been watching ebay daily for 18 months, have seen them in every other color imaginable but not the amber ones. I think the ones on the show were Zeniths, although Zenith and Dayton had identical spinners/logos so either would work for me. Still looking!-Brian W

yep' date='its recent.Why?Forgot something its a ‎1972 Ferrari 365 gtb Daytona coupe if I am remembering I could be wrong,I have been reading and seeing so many Daytona's lately.My knowledge is so much on the Daytona[/quote']well the shoes for one, they look to be from the 1970's given the size of the heel on them and the brown leather used for them that was popular back then along with the tan pants and hair style, it just kind of looks like the photo is from the late 70's because of that.I'm not saying he looks bad but he distinctly looks like he came out of a time machine from the 70'sand yeah its a post 1968/1969 coupe, the 1968's and 1969's had round headlights behind plexyglass
in 1970 they switched over to the pop up headlights to get around some ride height legislation back then hence why from 1970/1971 - 1995 most low down sports cars had pop up headlights, as the headlights had to reach a certain height when activated to be legal.its as bonkers as the 85 mph speedo of 1981 that Jimmy Carter mandated to prevent speeding and the automatic seatbelts the 1991/1992 cars had to have on them as mandated by the goverment
but well it inadvertently worked in my favor given I really prefer headlight covers to plexyglass anyways on the official factory made cars as when they went back to pleyxglass headlamps with the ferrari 360 and 550 in 1995 well the cars lost there sense of progress to me it seemed, like they all jumped backwards.
I do like that steering wheel! If you happen to see one shoot me a message. And good eye on those spinners. I know exactly what I'm looking for there but they're VERY hard to come by. I've been watching ebay daily for 18 months' date=' have seen them in every other color imaginable but not the amber ones. I think the ones on the show were Zeniths, although Zenith and Dayton had identical spinners/logos so either would work for me. Still looking!-Brian W[/quote']alright I'll keep an eye out however have you ever thought about going with maybe borrani wire wheels or the wire wheel spinner from one of them for the 14's? as it looks like the daytonas had a similar getup to the wire wheel caps of the zenith ones and the ferrari 308's ones where its hard to see but they actually etched the prancing horse onto the spinner of the boranis's:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6702&stc=1&d=1347163890atleast on that example, and well I cant help but wonder what a daytona would look like with the borani's on it be it in the vice car's 14 or the 15's they used on the actual daytonas.also well did you see the post I made about the other mirrors that might work on the daytona besides the tornados? those american spec and UNIELEKTRA ones used only on the 81' ferrari 308's imported to the states, supposedly part number 60812800 acording to the guys on ferrari chat who I asked them about.

post-592-13892964814117_thumb.jpg

in 1970 they switched over to the pop up headlights to get around some ride height legislation back then hence why from 1970/1971 - 1995 most low down sports cars had pop up headlights, as the headlights had to reach a certain height when activated to be legal.its as bonkers as the 85 mph speedo of 1981 that Jimmy Carter mandated to prevent speeding and the automatic seatbelts the 1991/1992 cars had to have on them as mandated by the goverment
but well it inadvertently worked in my favor given I really prefer headlight covers to plexyglass anyways on the official factory made cars as when they went back to pleyxglass headlamps with the ferrari 360 and 550 in 1995 well the cars lost there sense of progress to me it seemed, like they all jumped backwards.alright I'll keep an eye out however have you ever thought about going with maybe borrani wire wheels or the wire wheel spinner from one of them for the 14's? as it looks like the daytonas had a similar getup to the wire wheel caps of the zenith ones and the ferrari 308's ones where its hard to see but they actually etched the prancing horse onto the spinner of the boranis's:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6702&stc=1&d=1347163890atleast on that example, and well I cant help but wonder what a daytona would look like with the borani's on it be it in the vice car's 14 or the 15's they used on the actual daytonas.also well did you see the post I made about the other mirrors that might work on the daytona besides the tornados? those american spec and UNIELEKTRA ones used only on the 81' ferrari 308's imported to the states, supposedly part number 60812800 acording to the guys on ferrari chat who I asked them about.
Don't worry about the guy that's okay.But the car was what I wanted to show you and everybody else and we don't see them often here in good old Montreal,Canada hoping that another Daytona makes its appearance and people appreciate it as I do the lines and just the look of it.I love the Daytona as most people know on here already.Loved watching the videos and the one on the ferrai Daytona and the Testarossa looks good and that leather looks so soft and a fun car to drive.The only thing that I found funny or strange was the guy was saying Lamborghini Countach was a death sentence to drive.I wonder why? am I missing something on that car or what

I do like that steering wheel! If you happen to see one shoot me a message. And good eye on those spinners. I know exactly what I'm looking for there but they're VERY hard to come by. I've been watching ebay daily for 18 months' date=' have seen them in every other color imaginable but not the amber ones. I think the ones on the show were Zeniths, although Zenith and Dayton had identical spinners/logos so either would work for me. Still looking!-Brian W[/quote']BrianCan you describe/show a pic of what you are looking for in terms of wheels and spinners? Mine are Zenith wire wheels and have the old style spinners with a plate underneath that requires a special tool to remove the wheel. Not the more modern multi-bolt wheel which are easier to remove but the Zeniths are rare and from the original manufacture of the car. Also am wondering what you are thinking of in terms of tire size for your Daytona?

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6702&stc=1&d=1347163890What car is this from pls and what are the wheels/spinners in here? They look like Borranis that I have seen rarely and are very pricey.
they are off of a daytona coupe conversion I came across on Finecars.cc a little while back: I had saved the photos and only picked up on the etched ferrari logos on the spinners recently while looking through my photo folder and I believe they are borrani wire's' date=' 15 inch with the 215/70/R15's on them probably like the other spyder I came across, the same tire size jurrasic has on his.[img']http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6703&stc=1&d=1347207419
Don't worry about the guy that's okay.But the car was what I wanted to show you and everybody else and we don't see them often here in good old Montreal' date='Canada hoping that another Daytona makes its appearance and people appreciate it as I do the lines and just the look of it.I love the Daytona as most people know on here already.Loved watching the videos and the one on the ferrai Daytona and the Testarossa looks good and that leather looks so soft and a fun car to drive.The only thing that I found funny or strange was the guy was saying Lamborghini Countach was a death sentence to drive.I wonder why? am I missing something on that car or what[/quote']the countach requires the driver to accommodate the car and not the car accommodate the person, basically the car is like hopping into a rocket ship with little to no rear visibility, no real side windows (only go down an inch) and there wind up which you can see in the bought and paid for chase and yes these are REAL countach's, LP500 euro spec with no pucks on the bumper, nicer cooler looking tail lights like the ones in the cannonball films and the american spec which do have the pucks on the bumper along with the different style tail lights I dont like
at 0:59, that is how low it really goes down.and at 1:12 thats the amercain spec one with the pucks on the bumper vs car 1 with the shorter nose, and you can see the tail light change at 1:14, thats the american spec one
a somewhat weak air con, plus a heavy clutch, heavy gearshift effort, no power steering and if the gas tank is leaking the gas fumes will come through the air con and flood the cabin, a problem that was noted on the miura, which the countach is just basically a fixed version of with the engine flipped around with a new body.http://www.lambomiura.com/early.htmand I think is exactly what happened to James May when he drove the blue one while the TR has windows that will go down all the way, wont require you to hang out of the car to back it up and the doors fully open to get into it rather than climing over the side pillars like you do in the 300 SL gullwing, however it has the same disadvantages with the controls as the countach plus the wider than the front rear track that makes driving it at low speed below 30 mph probably much harder than dealing with the countach, even if its got very large tires on the rear since there at the same track as the front.plus the TR has and always will play second fiddle to the countach, probably because of the issues I have with the design, the LP5000 is damn near perfect looking exterior wise, The TR however because of its american spec bumpers, the air tunnel designed nose and air intakes, the reason why its got two lips on the bumper that ruin the look of the front end and probably why the lines over the air intakes in the front are so thick, will never really look as cool as the countach or the lotus.its like the designer only gave the car a once over and gave up on the front bumper, made all the more ironic when the guys from rockstar who did vice city basically fixed the design of the front with the cheetah in san andreas:http://www.igcd.net/vehicle.php?id=1427yeah a couple of 3D model makers working for rockstar outdid ferrari at there own game, love what they did to the daytona in VCS too, especially with the black car cheat code put in:http://www.igcd.net/vehicle.php?id=161also the countach is literally the 1980's version of the ultimate crazymans muscle euro american sports car, the 427 AC Cobra, which also the viper was based on really. and for being such a throughbread I just love the thing to bits and the people who get used to the heavy handedness you have to apply to the italian stuff like the countach to drive it love it to bits for its on hands feel and old school style, its abit like a DA revolver with a 15 pound trigger pull vs a semi auto SAO 1911 with a 2 pound trigger in alot of ways because of that, once you build the muscle and muscle memory to handle it, it aint no big deal with the italian stuff.despite the drawbacks but really with those kind of looks who the hell cares, I'd rather have an 86' countach than a testarossa anyday provided the gas tank hasnt become pressurized like jurrasic had happen with his daytona which he fixed awhile back by putting it back in the end of the car.although keep in mind well I'm primarly a muscle car guy, the countach was one of the few exceptions to the rule and one of the few exotics I actually liked a few years ago before I discovered vice, ferraris and the daytona.but outside of the daytona and maybe the 365 BB/fixed testarossa and the 308 I dont think I'd ever want to own a ferrari. not even the 550, the 355, 360 and 430 all of which save for the 355 I have seen in person.

post-592-13892964814479_thumb.jpg

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6703&stc=1&d=1347207419the countach requires the driver to accommodate the car and not the car accommodate the person, basically the car is like hopping into a rocket ship with little to no rear visibility, no real side windows (only go down an inch) and there wind up which you can see in the bought and paid for chase and yes these are REAL countach's, LP500 euro spec with no pucks on the bumper, nicer cooler looking tail lights like the ones in the cannonball films and the american spec which do have the pucks on the bumper along with the different style tail lights I dont like

at 0:59, that is how low it really goes down.and at 1:12 thats the amercain spec one with the pucks on the bumper vs car 1 with the shorter nose, and you can see the tail light change at 1:14, thats the american spec one
a somewhat weak air con, plus a heavy clutch, heavy gearshift effort, no power steering and if the gas tank is leaking the gas fumes will come through the air con and flood the cabin, a problem that was noted on the miura, which the countach is just basically a fixed version of with the engine flipped around with a new body.http://www.lambomiura.com/early.htmand I think is exactly what happened to James May when he drove the blue one while the TR has windows that will go down all the way, wont require you to hang out of the car to back it up and the doors fully open to get into it rather than climing over the side pillars like you do in the 300 SL gullwing, however it has the same disadvantages with the controls as the countach plus the wider than the front rear track that makes driving it at low speed below 30 mph probably much harder than dealing with the countach, even if its got very large tires on the rear since there at the same track as the front.plus the TR has and always will play second fiddle to the countach, probably because of the issues I have with the design, the LP5000 is damn near perfect looking exterior wise, The TR however because of its american spec bumpers, the air tunnel designed nose and air intakes, the reason why its got two lips on the bumper that ruin the look of the front end and probably why the lines over the air intakes in the front are so thick, will never really look as cool as the countach or the lotus.its like the designer only gave the car a once over and gave up on the front bumper, made all the more ironic when the guys from rockstar who did vice city basically fixed the design of the front with the cheetah in san andreas:http://www.igcd.net/vehicle.php?id=1427yeah a couple of 3D model makers working for rockstar outdid ferrari at there own game, love what they did to the daytona in VCS too, especially with the black car cheat code put in:http://www.igcd.net/vehicle.php?id=161also the countach is literally the 1980's version of the ultimate crazymans muscle euro american sports car, the 427 AC Cobra, which also the viper was based on really. and for being such a throughbread I just love the thing to bits and the people who get used to the heavy handedness you have to apply to the italian stuff like the countach to drive it love it to bits for its on hands feel and old school style, its abit like a DA revolver with a 15 pound trigger pull vs a semi auto SAO 1911 with a 2 pound trigger in alot of ways because of that, once you build the muscle and muscle memory to handle it, it aint no big deal with the italian stuff.despite the drawbacks but really with those kind of looks who the hell cares, I'd rather have an 86' countach than a testarossa anyday provided the gas tank hasnt become pressurized like jurrasic had happen with his daytona which he fixed awhile back by putting it back in the end of the car.although keep in mind well I'm primarly a muscle car guy, the countach was one of the few exceptions to the rule and one of the few exotics I actually liked a few years ago before I discovered vice, ferraris and the daytona.but outside of the daytona and maybe the 365 BB/fixed testarossa and the 308 I dont think I'd ever want to own a ferrari. not even the 550, the 355, 360 and 430 all of which save for the 355 I have seen in person.
A rocketship :cool: that's the way an exotic should be.I have always liked the countach back then the look.I like the amercian spec tail lights if I am right.The big ones love that look.I think that's why I liked the lotus back then also because it reminded me of the Lambo and Ferrai in a way.Like the white one I saw in a dealer so long ago a real beauty with cream or light brown seats in it.The problem with Lambomiura and the gas tank I read that article that is a big problem don't want to smell gasoline fumes in the car that's for sure.A real good idea for the owner to replace it with an aluminium one.I do like how the Daytona looks like in vice city a good look.I like that you describe the countach like a gun one with a hair trigger I bet.But so nice and exciting to and can't beat the gull wing doors.I like the mercedes SLR Mclaren with those doors reminds me of the countach with that look.

Hi everyone,I'm new here and started reading through some of this thread. WOW, there's a lot of information provided here about the various Daytonas used during the series.I'm looking for pictures and information on the Daytona used in the Pilot episode. Is there a specific page or pages I should start with to find the Pilot Daytona information?Thanks,Mike.

Hi everyone' date='I'm new here and started reading through some of this thread. WOW, there's a lot of information provided here about the various Daytonas used during the series.I'm looking for pictures and information on the Daytona used in the Pilot episode. Is there a specific page or pages I should start with to find the Pilot Daytona information?Thanks,Mike.[/quote']If you have read the article in the Glossary, that has a lot of information in one place. Otherwise, any reference to the Camera Car or Car 4 if about the car used in the pilot. It was changed slightly prior to the beginning of the series.

Hi everyone' date='I'm new here and started reading through some of this thread. WOW, there's a lot of information provided here about the various Daytonas used during the series.I'm looking for pictures and information on the Daytona used in the Pilot episode. Is there a specific page or pages I should start with to find the Pilot Daytona information?Thanks,Mike.[/quote']the best start would be in the glossary with Jurrasic's page on the car, he's seen the actual car in person, the last remaining one, car 4 and despite the name car 4 isnt one of 4 cars used on vicehttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/vbglossar.php?do=showentry&id=2149there was 2 cars used in vice. 5 total daytona replicas were made by AL Markadian, Tom Mcburnie, and Mark Chnetti was the one who made the custom interior and they were made in 1980/1981 hence the number designations for the cars and vice used 2 of them and one real daytona spyder, two technically counting the daytona spyder conversion used in the second season in one way ticket to hell. but the remaining car was the only one used in the pilot, car 4 next to the actual daytona and was used for about 60% of the time throught the 2 season run on the show.the plan seemed to be what they did with the TR originally basically and that's why you cant see the square full size tornado mirrors in the pilot, they moved the cameras over there position to help hide the lack of sidewindows and the square mirrors that the real car has and doent have when it comes to the mirrorshttp://www.miami-vice.ws/images/KDPics/realdaytona1.jpghttp://www.miami-vice.ws/images/KDPics/realdaytona2.jpghttp://www.miami-vice.ws/images/KDPics/realdaytona3.jpgbut someone did 5 g worth of damage apparently to the good doctors car while it was parked there who was the guy who lent them the car and the deal fell through so they stuck with the replicas and made a few modifications to them probably for ease of use and replication of the seats as Car 4 had custom seats that were probably quite hard to replicate in the pilot complete with markadian markings on the custom headrest. so car 1 was aquired as a second car for the show after the pilot and repainted from red to midnight black with car 4 having its seats redone to the typical 1978 style seats and the smoked plexy removed replaced with clear, plus the running lights were switched around from red to yellow and the tail pipes moved further in, probably to make space for the camera rig and the badge being moved further up the nose ala the same sort of treatment ferrari did with the 250 GTO:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/1962_Ferrari_250_GTO_34_2.jpg/800px-1962_Ferrari_250_GTO_34_2.jpgit looks better with the triangle openings in the nose open, trust me on this, and I wasnt impressed with it when I saw it in person when it was in boston in 05', the 250 I mean not the daytona which looked like this in S1 with the badge further up on the nosehttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/images/KDPics/car20.jpg
the smoked plexy was to put on by markadian to cover up the headlights yet also give the impression it was a pop up headlight car, the original daytona's made pre 70 had the headlights behind plexglass and were cicular:
post 1970 they were pop up to get around some ride height legislation in the US and probably europe and the date is off on this car
while alowing the nose to keep its shape when the lights were on although in order to breach the smoked plexy light ampilfyers were put on the 5 cars from the look of it, thats the silver things infront of the headlights in S1 you see that reflect the light back into the headlights to try and further iluminate the headlights enough so they can breach the plexyglass in S2 and S3.and square headlights were actually a novelty back then, they were from the reports I've read illegal to have on a car until 1975, some deal where the reasoning was that they wouldnt produce enough light to actually illuminate the road, so markadian saught to create an inbetween between the two different looks of the daytona using the smoked plexyglass as his means to do so, the one thing I dont get is why didnt he etch the shape of the headlight covers into the plexyglass to complete the look at 0:14http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11CaEQtxhvcand car 1 was an early replica, probably one of the first replicas ever made of a car from the 60's really before the cobra replica rage, based on a 76 vette, car 4 was an 81 hence why car 1 doesnt have sunvisors on it because they didnt screw them in when they made the car, the 81 however has that built in to the windshield trim on the top and was probably torn off a few times by don in the show as they have a habit of not staying up which probably tweaked the windshield trim in the front.and the 80 - 82 vets had a longer nose by about 3 inches, which markadian and mcburnie utilized in a much nicer fashion than GM, hence why the nose looks shorter between shots in S2 between the two cars as well 3 inches can make quite a difference in look even with just the wheels plus car one sits further back and lower in the rear, has more detailed door panels than car 4 and chrome on its exterior windshield trim in S1 which was removed and replaced with the same matt back one as car 4 for S2 along with having the smoked plexyglass put on on both cars for S2 along with a leather strap on the back of the seats to make them look smaller from the back on the top.the only thing I dont really know is if Car 4 as an 81 sent to California had a 350 or the Californian 305 when it was made, or if markadian fixed the records to get it into California with its original 350, which might have been an L82 engineas car 4 had some sort of engine repair done to it during the shows run before when carl roberts came on as the mechanic in S1, which considering how sickly the engine sounded in the glades drive I'm not surprised about, its currently rigged up with alumiumn intake, holly headers and a 4 barrel double pumper carb and it is a 350 I believe and the engine block had some sort of repair done to it or was replaced as don or someone else over reved the engine above 3 grand resulting in a blown valve, a common thing done on the vettes back then as GM failed to properly rig up the red line in all of there vettesrule is for a small block its 3 grand, and 4 grand for the big blocks, gm set it up so it was something like 5 and 6 grand for the bigblocks according to the rev limiter shooting themselves in the foot given how many engines they had to replace under waranty when they blew a valve.and people being people they pushed them to the redline while drag racing instead of when the car felt like it needed to be shifted, made all the worse by markadians top speed and rev limiter exagerations when don shifted the auto manually a few times in the shows run and probably did in S1 too but we just couldnt see it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h_8t-3Yh1A
watch the right arm movements.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/photoplog/index.php?n=6596the only car in the world in 1981 to have a 240 mph speedo when Jimmy Carter and his big finger forced everyone to have a 85 MPH speedo back then.and that is the original car and those are photos taken of it by its current owner who's on here who is also quite a vette collector, camera daytona also when it comes to power output though despite what people say about the 60's cars having 5000 kazilion horspower its really BS started by GM in the 50's with the early vette and the marketing idea of having it be 1 hp per CI, and they were forced by the goverment in 1971/1972 to list the horsepower and torque as installed rather than as exageratedthe small block 350's, which are 5.7 liters in european mesurement produce about 195 - 220 hp, the 454's made pre catalistic converter put out about nearly 300 horsepower and by pre CC I mean that it took about 15% power off of all cars in 1975 hence the power drop on the vette and the muscle carsand the 454's are 7 liters hence why you had some cases where the muscle cars were able to keep up and sometimes beat the italian V8 Stuff back in the 1980's with there 3 liter engines, hell the 454's gave the C4's all the way up until the 1990's a real run for there money.the daytona being based on an 81 car has the 1980's 350 motor with probably about 10% of the power lost to the catalitic converter already reenginereed back into the car by gm and mixed in with its current parts probably has in the region of about 230 or 240 HP with about 200 pounds less weight on it because of the aluminumn parts, probably putting it inbetween a small block and big block powerwiseand this is why despite the 360 4.4 liter V12 and 380 HP of the 4.9 liter V12 of the actual daytona and testarossa sounding weak respectively by modern standards, they very much arent back then and now, but the funny thing is though GM did make a 327 small block bored out to 377 with some of the same sounding parts of car 4 on it with 425 horsepower for its grand sport C2 race car that would have kicked the testarossa and daytonas butt back then, it just requires aircraft gas (100+ octane) and lead additives to even start and keep iddle.while the post 72 vette and daytona replicas run fine on unleaded 89/91 while the daytona and tr probably require 91 or 93 and above, plus they were real mens cars, no fancy crap, no flappy paddel gearbox, no abs, no traction control and were much lighter power to weight wise hence why if a modern engine is put in and the suspension is modernized and hardened they'll flat out embarrass the owner of the newer sports cars when it comes to vettes and muscle cars.
A rocketship Eingefügtes Bild that's the way an exotic should be.I have always liked the countach back then the look.I like the amercian spec tail lights if I am right.The big ones love that look.I think that's why I liked the lotus back then also because it reminded me of the Lambo and Ferrai in a way.Like the white one I saw in a dealer so long ago a real beauty with cream or light brown seats in it.The problem with Lambomiura and the gas tank I read that article that is a big problem don't want to smell gasoline fumes in the car that's for sure.A real good idea for the owner to replace it with an aluminium one.I do like how the Daytona looks like in vice city a good look.I like that you describe the countach like a gun one with a hair trigger I bet.But so nice and exciting to and can't beat the gull wing doors.I like the mercedes SLR Mclaren with those doors reminds me of the countach with that look.
well I mean that the lambo is like the DA revolver with its 15 pound trigger' date=' most people think that because of the heavy controls that it would be impossibile to live with a car like that when really overtime the body builds muscle and muscle memory to accomidate it and the amount of effort required to manuipulate the controls would seem less and less over time to the point where you dont even think about it after a time and it wouldnt seem to be that bad or bad at all once you get used to it.where as the modern cars are like say a match 1911, no effort requred to really fire the thing, it would just be all learning to handle the recoil.and you can see this in the show with the TR actually, in S3 don frequently had trouble with the gearshifting effort and moving it at low speed yet as the series progressed he stopped crunching gears and got the required muscle memory down to handle the thingat 0:48[url']
and I distinctly remember him cruching the gears during the good collar too, its the kind of a noise you dont forgetyet in S4 at 2:25, still a grimace but no crunch
and then in S5 it doesnt even phase him:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A0dN5-YATYits just that well if you have any sort of injuries that prevent movement and the requried effort to move the feet and wheel, are tired, not in the best of moods, you really wouldnt want to take the testarossa, part of the reason why I think we saw him more and more in the caddy towards the end of the shows run, even with that muslce memory thing factored in it would still be a pain in the butt to live with with no power assist under 30, fun but a pain in the butt nontheless and well they even took that into consideration with the first revision of the TR and redid the clutch and gearshift to help make it easier to shift.still no power assit for speeds under 30 though, people have started puttting those on italian cars though like the Maserati that was a direct competitor to the daytona back in the 60'shttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_Ghibliclassic and sports car magazine did a side by side compairison of the daytona and that one about a year ago, and the daytona owner flat out said he could not imagine living without that power steering that the ghibli had put in aftermarket from of all things a land rover after driving it.

well I mean that the lambo is like the DA revolver with its 15 pound trigger, most people think that because of the heavy controls that it would be impossibile to live with a car like that when really overtime the body builds muscle and muscle memory to accomidate it and the amount of effort required to manuipulate the controls would seem less and less over time to the point where you dont even think about it after a time and it wouldnt seem to be that bad or bad at all once you get used to it.where as the modern cars are like say a match 1911, no effort requred to really fire the thing, it would just be all learning to handle the recoil.and you can see this in the show with the TR actually, in S3 don frequently had trouble with the gearshifting effort and moving it at low speed yet as the series progressed he stopped crunching gears and got the required muscle memory down to handle the thingat 0:48
and I distinctly remember him cruching the gears during the good collar too, its the kind of a noise you dont forgetyet in S4 at 2:25, still a grimace but no crunch
and then in S5 it doesnt even phase him:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A0dN5-YATYits just that well if you have any sort of injuries that prevent movement and the requried effort to move the feet and wheel, are tired, not in the best of moods, you really wouldnt want to take the testarossa, part of the reason why I think we saw him more and more in the caddy towards the end of the shows run, even with that muslce memory thing factored in it would still be a pain in the butt to live with with no power assist under 30, fun but a pain in the butt nontheless and well they even took that into consideration with the first revision of the TR and redid the clutch and gearshift to help make it easier to shift.still no power assit for speeds under 30 though, people have started puttting those on italian cars though like the Maserati that was a direct competitor to the daytona back in the 60'shttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maserati_Ghibliclassic and sports car magazine did a side by side compairison of the daytona and that one about a year ago, and the daytona owner flat out said he could not imagine living without that power steering that the ghibli had put in aftermarket from of all things a land rover after driving it.Maserati Ghibli surely looks like the Daytona a twin almost.I agree with you I think someone would get use to driving the Lambo.But what a nice revolver like the comparison.But I do see the faces Sonny made in the video and towards the end nothing.It did not bother him it seems he got use to handling the testarossa.You were saying if somebody had an injury I know he had one and was sporting a cane during awards ceremony I doubt he could handle the testarossa with his injury and it seemed to be his knee so no way to drive that beast.

If you have read the article in the Glossary' date=' that has a lot of information in one place. Otherwise, any reference to the Camera Car or Car 4 if about the car used in the pilot. It was changed slightly prior to the beginning of the series.[/quote']Thanks for the information. I just went to the glossary section and read the article. Kavinsky,Thanks for all that information and insight into the MV Daytonas. I was seeing car 4 and camera car and thought they were different cars. Thanks for clearing up that they are the same car.

Yeah Alley not unless he used the caine to manipulate the clutch and the gearshift leaver was light enough to move without any real superforce he wouldnt be able to even get it into gear plus the no power steering deal, kind of why column shifts and autos became popular along with power steering.as if your a working man and pull something, you'd need to call a taxi to get home in that casealthough I still like the mechanical feel of a good column shift, its fun to slam shift one like they did in the blues brothers or the kind of auto the daytona had, something that feels mechanical is the key, not these flappy paddel things but also not with the kind of required effort of a serious workout, atleast not on a daily driver for those kind of reasonsalso well it turns out the makers of the zonda had rigged up sort of an inbetween between full power steering and none too:

sounds like it only helps between 0 - 30 and then its all manual, might be the ideal inbetween really.
Thanks for the information. I just went to the glossary section and read the article. Kavinsky' date='Thanks for all that information and insight into the MV Daytonas. I was seeing car 4 and camera car and thought they were different cars. Thanks for clearing up that they are the same car.[/quote']yeah its a little confusing as the numbers make you think its one of four or five cars used, plus with the exagerated horsepower figures of cars from the 1960's they make it sound like 220 some horsepower aint nothing special which consisdering the actual horsepower figures of cars back then was the exact opposite.hell the 911's six on the famous 911 2.7 RS of 1973 and 1974 were actually putting out about 220 - 230 hp at about 6 or 7 grand and were noted for blowing off the early turbos with ease with a naturally aspirated engine in the 1980's, thing that did it was the light weight of the car mixed in with that horsepower doing thatand because of the speedlimits and american driving the american cars are designed to put out that power much closer to 2 or 3 grand, but can and have been rigged up to reach those speeds, I think it has to do with the gearing and the box mostly, not entirely sureand that hosepower exageration is also why the bigblocks were so much to handle back then and why 30 extra horsepower was actually a very big deal, the big blocks in general were on average 1/3rd more powerful than the small blocks. plus disc brakes, something all C3 vettes had all around not just on the front as they do on most muscle cars as standard back in 68' and it was rigged up to take radial tires in 73 with little to no mods, just some extra body reinforcement on the chasis to help muffle the harder ride of them and fully independant suspension mixed in with a fiberglass body made the vette a survivor of the 60's and 70's while most muscle cars died out because they lacked those features.and the fiberglass body was also lighter than the muscle car ones which were made out of metal, and outside of the lotus elan I cant think of a car with a fiberglass body back then, thing is though aluminum which is what the italian stuff uses is much lighter than fiberglass but also counterly much weaker to the point where ferrari 308 owners actually tell people to not sit on the car because of how thin the aluminum gauging is or atleast tell them to sit on a stronger point same thing with the early miuras, the body was 0.5 mm thick in certain spots and you could dent it with your finger actually.