The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

soon to be wife took car out todayThink that will be her only time... lots of smoke from her spinning the wheels , too much car for her, but as she said it was like a amusement park ride snaps you back like you are being shot from a cannon

post-11100-13892964694869_thumb.jpg

post-11100-13892964695244_thumb.jpg

post-11100-13892964695598_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Think that will be her only time... lots of smoke from her spinning the wheels ' date=' too much car for her, but as she said it was like a amusement park ride snaps you back like you are being shot from a cannon[/quote']That's so cute :) Nice job on the spouse man :) Picked a good one. I never remembered seeing a girl drive it on MV :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the late reply on part of that malware warning situation here at the forums, stuff like that just makes me really nerviousand congrats man and good luck to you and your wife and well thats also kind of the point of a vette, be it a rebodied one with a more powerful latter engine like yours or a normal one 68 - 82 oneits a 2 seat old school rocket to the moon as Noogie Called it in cool running.Funny though your cars tail pipes are nearly in the position they were on the vice car when it was new back in 81 when it was marked markadian 350 GTS and during the pilot:Eingefügtes Bildand I found this a few days ago:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg4Sj9pyWKM

Car 4 during the pilot is at 0:18, 1:24 to 1:28 where it looks like theres a light next to the left side tail pipes and the running lights are red instead of yellow.and actually looking at it at 0:26, 0:35 and 0:41 I think thats car 1 in those shots as its sitting lower in the back than car 4 plus I can see the chrome windshield trim, maybe thats yet another tell tale way to figure out which car is which?also going off of the logic that maybe Mark Chinetti used a combination of the pre 77 and post 78 redesign panels for the door rests I think I may have cracked the nut with the Markadian Seats as when zoomed in on the seats during the pilot it looks like it has the general shape of these seats off of this 73 vettehttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6471&stc=1&d=1342771014and I swear looking at it close up in the pilot here it looks like someone took the 78 to 82 style sides off of a pair of those seats and maybe put them on the 73 style seat top mixed in with a markadian headresthttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6472&stc=1&d=1342771015http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6473&stc=1&d=1342771016as I think it looks like that rectangular spot on the 73 is right where the markadian headrest starts, plus its just about as high but not as high as the Mr Mikes Fiero seat replica is or the replica headrest ones judging by the 1:24 - 1:28 shot thing there:Eingefügtes Bildvs the 74 seats:Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildvs how high they are on this carmel interior colored 78 vetteEingefügtes Bild

post-592-13892964742878_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964743407_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964743542_thumb.jpg

Think that will be her only time... lots of smoke from her spinning the wheels ' date=' too much car for her, but as she said it was like a amusement park ride snaps you back like you are being shot from a cannon[/quote']This is so very :cool: you let your wife to be drive your other baby in your life.Its nice to see a woman behind the the wheel of the Daytona.I know the men are usually with there babies but this is nice.I definitely want to drive one and I know I could handle her.Youngman,Congrads on the the new wife and the other baby

I'm just curious does anyone know what the exact size difference between the tornado and baby tornado mirrors are as I think it was said somewhere that the vice car has the full sized tornados on it which I believe are no longer avalabileplus well when the cars were marked up as markadian what kind of a nose badge did it have if any? was it like on this red mcburnie?Eingefügtes Bildor was it plain like on the vice city cars?

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhPVPk-vKlk

forgot to post this which I found the other day as well of ace and his car with its season 1 getup, different mirrors and Carl Roberts windshield trim painted a matt back to match that of the stock post 1978 vette setup, minus the alfa door handles of the markadian/mcburnie cars and no rear quarter panel lights

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=P22egmZ4dD8

and a momo protipo wheel from the look of itand also Sonny this one shows off a vette with BF Goodrich T/A 225/70R15-100S tires on 15 inch rimshttp://www.vetteweb.com/features/vemp_0209_vintage_1973_corvette/viewall.html

I'm just curious does anyone know what the exact size difference between the tornado and baby tornado mirrors are as I think it was said somewhere that the vice car has the full sized tornados on it which I believe are no longer avalabileplus well when the cars were marked up as markadian what kind of a nose badge did it have if any? was it like on this red mcburnie?

I think mine are identical to the Camera Cars, and they are the baby tornadoes.Don't know about the front markings, but as far as I know the round headlights came much later in the builds. All the first four would have been 4x6 headlights.

The tow points used to pull the car behind the camera truck also are pretty obvious on this car.also going off of the logic that maybe Mark Chinetti used a combination of the pre 77 and post 78 redesign panels for the door rests I think I may have cracked the nut with the Markadian Seats as when zoomed in on the seats during the pilot it looks like it has the general shape of these seats off of this 73 vette

The door panels are not a combo, as the profile is not usable. The Cichetti panels are more like a cover over the 78-82 panels. They were a way to give the door panel the same profile as the top of the door. I think this was just an easy fix to the difference in the door tip profile.The seats are 78 seat that are reworked. The earlier seats are much thinner, although the idea of using the integral headrest may have come from the 73. The back of the Cichetti seats weren't see-through like the 73s. Camera Daytona and I have talked about the change in the seat design, and feel like the Cichetti design was hard to get replicated in Miami, so they went with the simpler revamp of the standard 78-82 Vette seats. Remember that Car 1 was painted and re-upholstered to mimic Car 4 after the pilot was completed. So a local Miami shop may have reworked the inside of Car 1. Other than explaining what you want done, the "Daytona stripes" on the seats are not a difficult addition to get done.I sure wish Cichetti was more forthcoming with information. He seems to have washed his hands of that part of his life.

I think mine are identical to the Camera Cars' date=' and they are the baby tornadoes.Don't know about the front markings, but as far as I know the round headlights came much later in the builds. All the first four would have been 4x6 headlights.[/quote']so theres no real full sized tornados then despite the name soundling like there was initially a bigger version avalabile?and true I mean the photo there in the name or the description is dated 1986, about 5 years after the initial builds of the 5 markadian cars, I'm just kind of curious if the nose was blank like on the vice city cars or if it had a nose badge on it before they got there hands on it for the production of viceI mean it could have very well been an M mark like on that mcburnie given the markadian marking on the headrest and the speedo and tach which are still there.also looking at that mcburnie I swear it looks like its got those pontiac fiero seats that Mr Mikes is selling now trimmed up in leather and as the name implies they are infact off of a fiero which was in production back then, namely it started in 1984 and they supposedly fit in wide array of cars including 60's mustangs not just the vettes so maybe he was an early adopter?anyways maybe mcburnie reused it on the nose of his car, and also looking at brians dash pad there with the mcburnie kit I'm kind of wondering if mcburnie may have done the same thing with the top half of the dash kit:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6495&stc=1&d=1343082101http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6496&stc=1&d=1343082104http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6494&stc=1&d=1343082100and maybe it would be possibile to maybe see if could be modded to fit to the 78 - 82 dash?I mean it does look like if it was to be mated to a 78 lower half of a dash it would require the pad to be moved further forward and at an angle like on car 4.
The door panels are not a combo' date=' as the profile is not usable. The Cichetti panels are more like a cover over the 78-82 panels. They were a way to give the door panel the same profile as the top of the door. I think this was just an easy fix to the difference in the door tip profile.The seats are 78 seat that are reworked. The earlier seats are much thinner, although the idea of using the integral headrest may have come from the 73. The back of the Cichetti seats weren't see-through like the 73s. Camera Daytona and I have talked about the change in the seat design, and feel like the Cichetti design was hard to get replicated in Miami, so they went with the simpler revamp of the standard 78-82 Vette seats. Remember that Car 1 was painted and re-upholstered to mimic Car 4 after the pilot was completed. So a local Miami shop may have reworked the inside of Car 1. Other than explaining what you want done, the "Daytona stripes" on the seats are not a difficult addition to get done.I sure wish Cichetti was more forthcoming with information. He seems to have washed his hands of that part of his life.[/b']
hmm that also does a make sense with the door panel, remove the kicker panel and just sort of put a cover over it but that doesnt really explain what he did to the top bit of car 4s door there with that U shaped stitch line and the length of the arm rest, how it stops right at the door lock in sort of a dip around that area and along with how much the bottom of the door panel sticks out from one end to the otherplus looking up close at the photo of car 3's door there it looks like the grab handle is just kind of sitting against the frame of the door panel, not like its connected to the area behind it, it seems to be sitting in some sort of area right around the door lock where its connected as theres sort of a bump there which may be why it wasnt on car 4, it may have come off or came loose.with the seats maybe it was a cut job? maybe someone removed an inch or so from the top half of both the top seat and seat back and pulled the sides closer in topped with a markadian headrest as the 78's compaired to the 76's do seem abit stubby at the top in the front, might explain why it seemed like a 76 like seat to me in profile in a way

post-592-13892964745768_thumb.jpg

post-9934-13892964746089_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964746558_thumb.jpg

and true I mean the photo there in the name or the description is dated 1986, about 5 years after the initial builds of the 5 markadian cars, I'm just kind of curious if the nose was blank like on the vice city cars or if it had a nose badge on it before they got there hands on it for the production of viceI mean it could have very well been an M mark like on that mcburnie given the markadian marking on the headrest and the speedo and tach which are still there.I think it probably was, and that could be the look. Really no way to be sure. The only thing that makes me think it is not is the round headlights. In fact, I wonder if the headlights were done later, but then if the owner tried to mimic the Ferrari look then why not add the correct emblem? Bottom line on this is keep digging. You find some really good pictures, and have as much knowledge as anyone else (more than most!).anyways maybe mcburnie reused it on the nose of his car, and also looking at brians dash pad there with the mcburnie kit I'm kind of wondering if mcburnie may have done the same thing with the top half of the dash kit:I think Mcburnie did use the Cichetti dash as a start for the shape. The dash came in two versions, before and after 1978. But the top cap was the same. I have tried to find just that cap to use as a "shape model".with the seats maybe it was a cut job? maybe someone removed an inch or so from the top half of both the top seat and seat back and pulled the sides closer in topped with a markadian headrest as the 78's compaired to the 76's do seem abit stubby at the top in the front, might explain why it seemed like a 76 like seat to me in profile in a way All the literature McBurnie put out refers to the 78 model seat covers, which were considered to have more support and be better overall. I know the seats in Car 3 and 4 started with 78 seats and frames. I think the headrest was an artistic creation of Cichetti that was just very difficult to duplicate.

and true I mean the photo there in the name or the description is" data-date=" about 5 years after the initial builds of the 5 markadian cars, I">

I mean it could have very well been an M mark like on that mcburnie given the markadian marking on the headrest and the speedo and tach which are still there.I think it probably was, and that could be the look. Really no way to be sure. The only thing that makes me think it is not is the round headlights. In fact, I wonder if the headlights were done later, but then if the owner tried to mimic the Ferrari look then why not add the correct emblem? Bottom line on this is keep digging. You find some really good pictures, and have as much knowledge as anyone else (more than most!).anyways maybe mcburnie reused it on the nose of his car, and also looking at brians dash pad there with the mcburnie kit I'm kind of wondering if mcburnie may have done the same thing with the top half of the dash kit:I think Mcburnie did use the Cichetti dash as a start for the shape. The dash came in two versions, before and after 1978. But the top cap was the same. I have tried to find just that cap to use as a "shape model".with the seats maybe it was a cut job? maybe someone removed an inch or so from the top half of both the top seat and seat back and pulled the sides closer in topped with a markadian headrest as the 78's compaired to the 76's do seem abit stubby at the top in the front, might explain why it seemed like a 76 like seat to me in profile in a way All the literature McBurnie put out refers to the 78 model seat covers, which were considered to have more support and be better overall. I know the seats in Car 3 and 4 started with 78 seats and frames. I think the headrest was an artistic creation of Cichetti that was just very difficult to duplicate.

thanks and yeah its a shame that he's not more forthcoming with the info about how he made them of the techniques used in its construction, I mean atleast with the seats we have a general idea of what he used as the starting pointthe door panels I have no idea really outside of him probably building on one and putting some sort of housing on the bottom of the door to creat a new arm rest and then covering over it.

ugh I dont know why I didnt think of this before but I think I found a possibile alternative to the Pirellis in the same size as the vice car275/60/15 Firestone Firehawk tires which poped up on this mopar

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKSS0NO9zMY

and on this vette with 255/60/15 in fronthttp://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-general/2960902-what-tires-are-on-your-c3.htmlkind of like the look of the 255's better truth be told personally.concerning the lettering there is a trick that I remember one of the guys with a miura mentioned where you basically rub off the lettering, I forget how though and I'll have to look it up again.something about basically buffing the raised letters off or using a scoffing pad as well theres no one that makes miura sized tires without the white lettering, good years I think in that case and he basically rubbed them off to give it a period correct look.

Sorry I dont know why but I thought maybe the 275's are what the vice car had, instead while double checking my info it said 235's, probably just a slip of the mind while doing a late nighterbut it does say that the original tire size was 195/70's on it probably with R14 not R15 size tires like the Pirellis had (which I think means that the rim size rating for the tire was an inch bigger than what the actual rim size was for the show or the refit it had past the first episode, which I think is 14 inches and 72 spokes if I'm remembering that correctly?) so does that mean that original the look of the car back in 81 was actually more along the lines of this:http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0050/index.htmlexcept with 14 inch rims instead of 16?Eingefügtes Bildalso it kind of looks like its got maybe a smaller tire infront there like on Sonnys Car right now, maybe it had 195's in the front and 235's in the rear originally?Also I was on the internet movie car database looking up the porsche 930 after watching Yankee Dollar (it was Glides Car after all) to see just how the mirrors are rigged up on the convertibile as they look pretty close to the way there rigged up on the daytona and also to see just how they differ, is it just that there painted or is the shape also different and sleaker? and decided to take a look at the mercs that were on the show as some of them had a similar mirror setup and saw this Eingefügtes Bildand you can just see on Crockett's seat that the carpet patch that is still there on Car 4 right now was probably on the car since the second episode, so it was only the leather strip that was added for S2 and I only just picked up on this now.this shot is from the hitlist by the way, where theres abit of a continuity error with the chase scene here where car 1 and car 4 change places a few times although this is definitely car 4 in this shot.

Compared to pretty much every poster in this thread, I don't know jack about cars. But I LOVE how detailed the conversation is. You Daytona enthusiasts make me appreciate Vice even more (if that's even possible).That is one beautiful car...

Compared to pretty much every poster in this thread' date=' I don't know jack about cars. But I LOVE how detailed the conversation is. You Daytona enthusiasts make me appreciate Vice even more (if that's even possible).That is one beautiful car...[/quote']eh dont worry about that we all start out with nothing and then gradually learn about this kind of stuff over time and its kind of funny the daytona got me seriously into vettes and ferrari's back in 06, both of which being primarily a mopar and a lamborghini guy (now a pre 1990 one I might add with a few exceptions) I had never even looked into before.mind you I still like the ones I liked when I first saw them for the most part, namely the 1963 - 1967 C2, all pre 1980 C3's and the C5's kind of why I'm amazed at what Markadian and Mcburnie did with that rebody job on it using a post 1979 car with that redesign as its basis. as personally I well could say hate but its more dislike what they did to the nose on the 80 - 82's, which kind of makes them look more like a bottomfeeder kind of fish rather than a stingray. the nickname (stingray) that I think Bill Mitchel used for them hence why the name stingray showed up on some of the ones in the middle run of the C3's as I think he didnt like calling them corvettes and he was a fishing guy too.and ferrari wise the daytona and to an extent the testarosssa and its predecessor the berlineta boxer, the forerunner of the daytona and the one used by Crockett here:
with a few exceptions on that one tooalso I found out that the aluminium parts that were used on an engine can take off about a good 100 pounds (didnt quite know it was THAT much) on the cars net weight, possibily per part so while an aluminum part may not add that much horspower to it, it will improve the power to weight ratio and thus make the car faster in that regard so car 4 was probably a good while faster than the stock car with its aluminum intake, headers and the double pumper, double choke 4 barrel carb it has nowwe alsi dont even know what Carl did to the inside of the motor after its repair and the removal of the turbo it had in 81, but the removal of the turbo was pre him in S1.and I forgot to note that I think in the show the car had straight through pipes on both cars (dont quite know how they got away with that back then during its reregistration and probably emmisions check in 85/86) where as after the show, carl or his brother who he said did some work on it or the first owner added mufflers to the end of the tail pipes:during the bought and paid for chase:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6512&stc=1&d=1343630587as it is now:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6514&stc=1&d=1343630593something I also only picked up on recently, probably why the tail pipes in the daytona today photos seem to be much more visibile than they used to be like in the photo from the bought and paid for chase and the photo of this rowley below with the tail pipes in the vice positionhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6513&stc=1&d=1343630590which personally I like along with having the reds be the inners as the inners are the ones that stick out the most visually and physically.

post-592-13892964750126_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964750265_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964750565_thumb.jpg

Insane! I'd never seen that pepsi commercial before. It's radical. Another reason why I want ot live in 1985. Or, '86...especially 1984.Cool how there is so much that can be interpreted from one Ferrari. Is it more difficult to copy a Testerrosa or a Daytona? I presume the Testerrosa is harder.

[quote
Insane! I'd never seen that pepsi commercial before. It's radical. Another reason why I want ot live in 1985. Or' date=' '86...especially 1984.Cool how there is so much that can be interpreted from one Ferrari. Is it more difficult to copy a Testerrosa or a Daytona? I presume the Testerrosa is harder.
so really no other car would work besides atleast a V10 or V12 powered midengined car set up like thatyou could maybe potentally do it with a ferrari 308 probably but outside of that I've never seen one that could really work in my opinion, even with the detomaso pantera based replica stunt car that carl roberts made for the show (but its probably the closest out of the bunch) Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildmind you he did his best and he actually fixed one of the things that bothered me about the TR with it, the lines over the fake air intakes on the detomaso replica merge with the body much more fluidly with its body than on the actual testarossa which has two real air intakes there and also the TR was basically just this car Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildwith two radiators put on the sides and redesgined to be more boxy looking in the front and with a unique interior that none of the other ferraris had then (most of the bits used on the ferrari interiors from the 60's were used on ALL ferraris until 1985 for the most part) thats pretty much it, its literally just a rebodied car itself, a rebodied berlineta boxer and for that noted ferrari lover Jerrmy Clarkson Hated the testarossa as he loved the old boxer a hell of alot more than the TRand thats also the reason why the daytona worksthe corvette C3 chasis 1968 - 1982 was just a C2 chasis modified to fit the body of the C3 stingray and well I did some double checking and it turns out the length and wheelbase of the C2 vette perfectly lines up with the same messurements of the actual daytona hence why outside of the windshield and the thickness of the top of the doors the thing really does look like a daytona bodywise.hell could potentally change the windshield for that of the one off of the C2 if you really wanted that and put on the period correct mirrors for the thing like on this one and with the right setup of the interior and the wheels and no one would know its a replica:http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0058/index.htmlor use the Carl Roberts windshield trim and all of its bits like on this one which appears to be a carl roberts made one because of the mazda door handles that Jurrasic said his has:http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0069/index.htmljust for the record the key though to get the windshield to look good on any replica or real C3 vette though it seems is to make sure the bits of it hug the windshield snuggly, not loosely and quite a few dont have that going on or have certain bits sort of hanging there loosely and well without the other chrome bits the Carl Roberts windshield trim doesnt seem to be too snugly connected to the windshield giving it sort of an odd look when the light hits it here:http://www.mrmikes.com/corvettevern.htmalthough painting it matt like on the 1978 onwards corvette trim seems to rememdy this:
the key thing though that gives away the car as a vette though is the chrome on the top of the windshield which I think could be easily covered up using vinyl body wrapping that the europeans use to protect and change the color of a car body with
supposedly it lasts up to about 2 or 3 years and the carl roberts windshield trim also covers that chrome up, but only the middle, that however could be used on all three parts or used to complete the look with it be it with gloss or matt paint job.
that was used but supposedly in a heavily cut down version of it, that however is the full one they were probably given for approval back in the day that someone working at pepsi or at one of the stations kept for themselves. hence the not for air thing at the bottom and I think that was ment for the 1985 superbowl and probably right after they got the word they were going to be using 2 real testarossas for S3 in the middle of S2s production when car 1, the 76 vette with crash damage (that happened before they turned it into the first replica) was taken apart and left appart after Carl found it couldnt be turned into a testarossa replicahence why Crockett is weirdly in a car that was never used in the show that is yet however a real ferrari, the predecessor to the TR that they stopped making in late 1983 early 1984 in black and tan like they probably intended to get before they attempted to lighten the contrast of the TR by ordering it in black mettalic with a cream interior and rust colored carpets after they probably saw the thing in person in italyand well with the TR the chasis was that of a midengined car with a long horizontally mounted rear engine with the transmision right at the firewall instead of at the other end of the car like you would have with the trans axel front engined daytona with a dry sump oil system thats mounted ontop of the engine, meaning no oil pan on the bottom sticking out below the bottom of the chasis at 5:51

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6512&stc=1&d=1343630587as it is now:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6514&stc=1&d=1343630593something I also only picked up on recently, probably why the tail pipes in the daytona today photos seem to be much more visibile than they used to be like in the photo from the bought and paid for chase and the photo of this rowley below with the tail pipes in the vice positionhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6513&stc=1&d=1343630590which personally I like along with having the reds be the inners as the inners are the ones that stick out the most visually and physically.

I have the same exhaust as the show car, which is a quad exhaust that is in fact a muffler. With the fuel tank hanging down there is just no room for a muffler. Sometime after the Camera car left the show, a fuel cell was added and there is room under the rear for more conventional mufflers. My car is loud, but legal (atl least under Georgia law).The red around the tail pipes indicates that they are (or at least are meant to look like) Ansa tail pipes which are vintage Ferrari. I bought a set of knock off Ansa labels, but as you might guess the fakes got hot and melted!!

News from TexasOkay gents, here's the news...I started a new job today which is significantly better than the one I was at before (I've been paying my dues for some time now). So assuming I keep this gig you'll see quite a few updates from me over the next several months as I get my baby into fighting shape and start making some changes, mostly to make her a little more "Vice-like". Going to stay red for the time being but will get her mechanically in mint condition, change out the spinners, change out the side mirrors, change out the seats, put an "Eye-Talian" horn in it, possibly get the Vice-correct Momo steering wheel, add some Rowley shocks to the hood and trunk, etc etc etc. Pics to come as I finally get this project car under way!!-Brian W

Kavinsky: Thanks for the detailed explanation. It really amazes me how such a specialty car can be replicated so precisely. A real feat of engineering and brains.Youngman: That Merc is fantastic. I remember my friend's mom had one of those (without the kit) around 1990. We drove it around Beverly Hills and West LA back in the day and thought we were really something else. Until...the car alarm went off and we couldn't figure out how to turn it off so we're driving it around with the alarm blaring. Like a couple of 21-year old idiots. A cop pulls us over and luckily, my friend still had his parents' address on his drivers license, so it matched the registration.The cop sort of laughs and lets us go. We finally figured out how to turn off the alarm, btw. My friend didn't take his mom's car out any time soon after that, if I recall.

I don't think I have ever put pix up of my daily driver Mercedes Sec AMG
so you've got Crocketts car AND the Merc that Tubbs used in one eye jack in the same getup? wow lol and I think thats along with a bunch of other people using the same model car in different color combinations through the shows runEingefügtes Bildactually I barely know anything about the Merc's outside of the rule to avoid the chrystler buyout ones' date=' the 97's to 07'sso hows its ride and how is it in general as a car and well do you also know what its base model was back then before AMG worked on it? as I think AMG wasnt part of the mercedes brand until 1990, sort of like the tuner of porsches, RUF is still even now after 30 some years of keeping the 911 alive when they were trying to kill it off and replace it with the V8 powered 928 back in the 80's (never been a 928 fan and I'm even less of a Tom Cruse fan too for the record)
I have the same exhaust as the show car' date=' which is a quad exhaust that is in fact a muffler. With the fuel tank hanging down there is just no room for a muffler. Sometime after the Camera car left the show, a fuel cell was added and there is room under the rear for more conventional mufflers. My car is loud, but legal (atl least under Georgia law).The red around the tail pipes indicates that they are (or at least are meant to look like) Ansa tail pipes which are vintage Ferrari. I bought a set of knock off Ansa labels, but as you might guess the fakes got hot and melted!![/quote']hmm I see I guess that explains why the tail pipes seemed to be sort of freefloating on the car in the show and on that rowley there, actually on that rowley it looks like the pipes are hanging below the cars rear by a substancial amount abit and sort of freefloating as well. probably also explains why theres no inner wheel arches if there was any on the normal vettes when it came to the replicas, atleast the markadian, mcburnies and Roberts ones. as maybe it was removed to make some room for the tail pipes and also maybe they tried to cover that up with the tail pipes by putting them as close to the sides as possibile to try and hide that.
Okay gents' date=' here's the news...I started a new job today which is significantly better than the one I was at before (I've been paying my dues for some time now). So assuming I keep this gig you'll see quite a few updates from me over the next several months as I get my baby into fighting shape and start making some changes, mostly to make her a little more "Vice-like". Going to stay red for the time being but will get her mechanically in mint condition, change out the spinners, change out the side mirrors, change out the seats, put an "Eye-Talian" horn in it, possibly get the Vice-correct Momo steering wheel, add some Rowley shocks to the hood and trunk, etc etc etc. Pics to come as I finally get this project car under way!!-Brian W[/quote']Spinners? why whats it got on it now? the swept back ones? and what do you mean by Rowley shocks? as it sounds like your talking about the struts for the hood and the trunk not the road shocks. mirrorwise have you thought about maybe trying these mirrors I found on a 308 awhile back:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6519&stc=1&d=1343721456http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6520&stc=1&d=1343721458these which I think are UniElektra part number 60812800, sort of like the tornadoshttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6521&stc=1&d=1343721460 but without the lip on the back and seem to be in general a much more rounded and thinner mirror but they still seem to retain the general size of the flag mirrors and outside of that one 308 I've never seen them used on any other car, even the daytona replicas which seem to have alot of different mirrors used on them from anything imaginabileAlso didnt you say something about wanting Sonnys dash when he was done with it? as well jurrasic had said he was looking for the mcburnie upper dash pad as a model to see if maybe it matched Car 4's dash pad when matted with a 78 dash frame which your car actually has.and seatwise what does it have on it now, the 76 style ones?also before you make any changes to it it wouldnt be a bad idea to photograph the car as is just incase you decide to go back to its original look and maybe make a ledger of all that you've done to it just for the records sake along with the part numbers and tire sizes as thats usually the stuff that gets lost in the sands of time and thus is usually the most valuable when it comes to any sort of rare car.trust me documentation and photographs along with a timeline and ledger of the work done to it of the cars history will pay off in dividends in the long run, hell if it wasnt for that Car 4 itself could have been lost to the sands of time as well like Car 1 and the pantera replica and the second testarossa probably, the one NOT at the swap meet in miami. after all Carl Lost the pantera to legal ramblings and problems caused by the ferrari lawsuit, if he had the serial number however it could be found again and probably easily I mean who the hell turns a pantera into a testarossa replica these days?
Kavinsky: Thanks for the detailed explanation. It really amazes me how such a specialty car can be replicated so precisely. A real feat of engineering and brains.Youngman: That Merc is fantastic. I remember my friend's mom had one of those (without the kit) around 1990. We drove it around Beverly Hills and West LA back in the day and thought we were really something else. Until...the car alarm went off and we couldn't figure out how to turn it off so we're driving it around with the alarm blaring. Like a couple of 21-year old idiots. A cop pulls us over and luckily' date=' my friend still had his parents' address on his drivers license, so it matched the registration.The cop sort of laughs and lets us go. We finally figured out how to turn off the alarm, btw. My friend didn't take his mom's car out any time soon after that, if I recall.[/quote']well they had an actual spyder to work off of, unbeknownst to the owner apparently when they were talking the molds and no luck on finding that as a white daytona period is exceptionally rare apparetly, 5 spyders and 2 coupes were the only ones made in white and imported and the one listead as the one used for the model for the Mcburnie/Markadians didnt show up.did however get some more photos of the white/red one minus its red stripe:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6522&stc=1&d=1343722562the one that belonged to the hotel owners or whatever they were and its really quite sad to see the red stripe gone as it really set the old thing off beautifully when it was on there, also note the lack of the prancing horse badge on the turn signal like on the vice car, might have been removed when they removed the red stripeand this one also doesnt have the prancing horse on its turn signal:http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/14122/index.html?no_cache=1&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1[pointer]=1-2&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1[RET]=63&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1[MODE]=makebut you can see here that Car 4 really does look like an actual daytonaEingefügtes BildUmm actually Jurrasic do you have any close ups of this shot? as I think that might be the prancing horse on the turn signal in this shot as the black dot infront of the lense where it normally sits on the white one seems oddly further back here, could be an optical illusion caused by the angle but the black dot there seems to be within the circle.

post-592-13892964751777_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892964752108_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296475246_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296475277_thumb.jpg

Eingefügtes BildUmm actually Jurrasic do you have any close ups of this shot? as I think that might be the prancing horse on the turn signal in this shot as the black dot infront of the lense where it normally sits on the white one seems oddly further back here' date=' could be an optical illusion caused by the angle but the black dot there seems to be within the circle.[/quote']Not sure what you are referring to in the above statement. My car (camera car) does have the prancing horse logo on the turn signal lenses.[ATTACH=CONFIG]6580[/ATTACH]

post-61-13892964753957_thumb.jpg

trust me documentation and photographs along with a timeline and ledger of the work done to it of the cars history will pay off in dividends in the long run' date=' hell if it wasnt for that Car 4 itself could have been lost to the sands of time as well like Car 1 and the pantera replica and the second testarossa probably, the one NOT at the swap meet in miami. after all Carl Lost the pantera to legal ramblings and problems caused by the ferrari lawsuit, if he had the serial number however it could be found again and probably easily I mean who the hell turns a pantera into a testarossa replica these days?[/quote']Just to set the record straight (I'm sure Kavinsky knows this), Car 4 (camera car) was never lost. It passed from Universal Studios to Carl Roberts, then Carl sold it to a guy that he had promised he would build a car for, then to the guy I bought it from. The paperwork, including a copy of the Universal title, the Carl Roberts contract where he was given ownership, a letter from Michael Mann, etc, etc, stayed with the car through each of its owners.Car 1 was lost when Roberts tore it down in an attempt to build a Testarossa stunt car. When that didn't work, he never put it back together and no one knows what happened to the parts, including Carl.Your point about taking pictures to document the car is an excellent idea. Future owners will probably enjoy seeing the history of the car.