T.V. shows you're watching!

cageyJG

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Remington said:

Decided to re-watch the last two seasons of The Sopranos as I'd only watched them once. After the fourth season, I felt the show lacked spark and just got too depressing.

Season 5 was much better than I remember. Steve Buscemi was a great addition and apart from Rat Pack and In Camelot, pretty much every episode was solid.

Season 6 had a weak first half with the coma and Vito storylines. The second half was an improvement with some great episodes. I still loathe the final scene though.

I still rank it as the greatest series ever created, along with MV of course.

The first two seasons are my favourites. It was more "mafia" in the beginning and also felt more Italian, then towards the end as most shows do - It just became a full on soap opera and Americanized. 

I actually can't wait to get back into The Sopranos, I plan to on the last week of August. It is the second greatest series ever created, because you can't beat Miami Vice. 

• Like 1

If you like The Sopranos I recommend Crime Story and Wiseguy.
They did the mob TV series a decade before it a decade before the Sopranos.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to get back into watching Trailer Park Boys, which came back in 2014 with all new episodes following a hiatus of seven years.

The makers of the show have wisely stuck to the original formula, with just a few minor changes. But it still doesn't feel the same anymore. During its first few seasons, TPB was absolutely hilarious in almost every episode. Just very original and very funny. One of the best comedy mockumentaries of its time. But this time around, well... the original cast has aged, maybe that's the problem. Getting towards their late 40s or early 50s like Robb Wells (Ricky) and John Paul Tremblay (Julian) and Mike Smith (Bubbles) are now, you just don't believe that three trailer park dwellers like them would still get up to the same old antics as 15 years ago. They're trying their best in the new seasons, but it just kind of feels wrong.

Not really a must-watch. For really big fans of the show, maybe. But that's about it.

Edited by Daytona74

• Administrators

That tends to happen when a show takes an extended vacation, it just doesn't feel the same when it comes back. I feel the same way about Russell Coight's All Aussie Adventures (an absolute Aussie legend of a show). Was off the air for 15 years and then he decided to bring it back, but I feel like they're trying too hard. 

Yeah, it's like many shows, you've got something magical happening at the time when you first bring out your new show, and maybe it will last a few seasons and then you've really run out of good stories to tell and great moments to create. It's not always a good thing to go back to where you left, hoping that you will be able to recreate that. Look at our whole debate about the Miami Vice reboot.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've just started watching the Fargo TV series again. I am currently on episode 6 (of 10) of the first season. This must be my third run since it came out, but even though I have seen every episode of all three seasons, I am still blown away by how awesome it is.

Even if you've seen the Fargo TV series a couple of times, every time it just draws you in again with its gripping atmosphere, expertly crafted storytelling, superb acting, beautifully shot (faux) Midwestern scenery, and an amazing soundtrack. It all just exudes what has become Fargo's trademark winterly bleakness, where you have no doubt that anything can and will happen that people are capable of doing to one another, and that things will just continually go from bad to worse. But all the while still with that slight touch of comedic weirdness that is so emblematic of the Coen Brothers' style.

And personally, I feel at home with all the Midwestern mannerisms that the show portrays with such attention to detail, and the Midwestern small town spirit of everybody looking out for one another, because I spent a year as an exchange student in a small town out in the sticks around Kansas City. Which also means I am looking forward to season 4, because from what is known so far about the storyline, it will center around two Kansas City crime families in the 1950s. It's pretty likely that they will film it somewhere in Canada again, so you probably can't expect to see many actual KC landmarks. But the whole Midwestern angle of the show is just something that makes me all the more a huge fan.

And while I was reluctant to the idea at first that season 2 was going to take place in the 1970s, the producers really hit it out of the ballpark with stunning imagery and scenery throughout the whole season, all dyed in an endearingly authentic 1970s color space of orange and teal hues, and with props of picture-perfect period accuracy, so I have all the faith in the world that season 4 will be just as much an exquisitely believable 1950s time capsule. It seems to be one of the well established quirks of the show by now that it tells story arcs from various entirely different time periods, and you kind of think at this point, why not. Really, why not, because they have been pretty darn good at it up to this point.

I can definitely recommend all three seasons so far, especially for those cold dark winter nights that now lie just ahead of us.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know, it’s cheesier then cheddar ever thought possible...but how can you go wrong with 3 sexy women running around in scantily clad clothing and/or bikinis solving crimes—complete with mystery & suspense, car chases & explosions, gun battles, etc...? Haven’t watched it in years, so I’m enjoying going through Charlie’s Angels again.  :happy: Fun and entertaining show—along with MV, one of my all-time favorites! :thumbsup: 

016C0CA9-C379-466C-BEAB-1A122DB7E518.png

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

Last TV shows (if TV also includes Netflix and Amazon Prime) I saw were Berlin Station and Quantico. Both good intelligence business shows with -as opposed to MV- no closed captions episodes.

• 3 months later...

About 24 years before MV, 42 years before CSI:Miami, and possibly the first TV show to take place in Miami—was Surfside 6...the final spin-off detective show from 77 Sunset Strip (others were Hawaiian Eye and Bourbon Street Beat).

Surfside was about 3 bachelor detectives (Sandy Winfield, Ken Madison, and Dave Thorne) that lived and operated out of a swank houseboat at the same address—Surfside 6. It was docked right across the street from the famous Fountainebleau Hotel. Besides having different girls at different times, all were infatuated with a sexy socialite, Daphne Dutton, who had her yacht next to the Surfside houseboat & often assisted the detectives in their cases.

This was your typical early 60s cheesy mix of crime & action with some humor. I posted months ago above that Charlie’s Angels was “cheesier than cheddar ever thought possible” (love C.A.!)...but I was wrong. ‘Surfside’ takes the proverbial cake in the “cheese” dept! :p

But, sometimes I get a little tired of the “dark” or depressing side of things, and Im in the mood for something “lighter”, fun, and I don’t have to think too hard. :) Believe it or not, ‘corny’ is a part of life. I love MV and Hawaii Five-0...but I love Surfside 6 and Hawaiian Eye too! :thumbsup:

30552F0F-F0F6-472F-989A-B10E280E2E16.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are currently watching episodes of that classic Canadian comedy series The Red Green Show.  This long running show features handyman Red Green broadcasting from Possum Lodge, Canada.  His Handyman Corner is my favorite segment in each show.  What he builds in each show is stupidly funny.  I run my own handyman business and can relate the his secret weapon DUCT tape, it will fix everything!!  So if you have not seen this show and want to laugh I highly recommend watching. 

redgreen.jpg

Red Green is spectacular!

We just finished watching Justified, which I strongly recommend. I also tend to watch NCIS LA and I'm a big fan of The Shield as well. Justified is set in Kentucky (though it's mostly filmed in California) and is based on a character created by Elmore Leonard, so it mixes drama and some understated comedy nicely. NCIS LA in terms of feel is about as close as I've seen to MV (which should come as no surprise considering the creator was heavily influence by Vice and Frank Military has been heavily involved for a number of seasons now). The Shield is dark, but it's one of the best character-driven dramas I've ever seen and is also one of the few shows I've ever seen that manages to wrap up ALL its outstanding plot threads by the end of the series (Justified managed to do this as well).

On 5/10/2019 at 1:34 PM, RedDragon86 said:

I love "Cheers" such a well writing show, so funny and the characters are brilliant. 

“Cheers” and “Frasier” it’s spin off just great.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just finished watching the Netflix show Stranger Things 3.  This show just gets better with each new season. Taking place in 1985 the producers got it right.  The music, the clothing, the big hair,  the cars, the evil Russians, the life in a mall, the cereal boxes, and the slang.  The writing is top notch.  The first few episodes of teenager life contains some screaming laughter scenes.  All the actors/actresses do a wonderful job being in an entertaining story.  Highly recommended for viewing. 

Hi!

I also discovered "Stranger Things" recently for myself. It's a mystery to me how I could overlook this show since it started in 2016. As I found it I couldn't nearly believe that it's possible to create a show with such an 80s vibe today. I fell in love immediately. Sure it's not stylish how MV but it references how the 80s were for the common people. Also the soundtrack is awesome, I have to get it, it would even be available on cassette tape (manufactured by NAC I think).

I'm still in the first season, so don't spoil me! :D

• Administrators

I just started Stranger Things after fellow member @Detective_Crockett convinced me to watch it. It's exceeded my expectations, all this time I thought it was just some overhyped show and that I wouldn't like it but I actually love it! And I feel like they captured the 80s perfectly, the way life was then and all the way down to pop-culture references, it's the most authentic 80s I've seen outside of actual 80s shows. I just started watching it last week and I'm already up to season 2.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, James said:

I just started Stranger Things after fellow member @Detective_Crockett convinced me to watch it. It's exceeded my expectations, all this time I thought it was just some overhyped show and that I wouldn't like it but I actually love it! And I feel like they captured the 80s perfectly, the way life was then and all the way down to pop-culture references, it's the most authentic 80s I've seen outside of actual 80s shows. I just started watching it last week and I'm already up to season 2.

Amazing show! Much of it was filmed very close to my house! I’ve even visited some locations. :) 

• Like 1

CSI: Las Vegas. The other CSI shows are nowhere near as good.

See the source image

Our very own Milton Glanz from the great episode "Death and the Lady" on the right there :)

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Just finished watching the Netflix show Stranger Things 3.  This show just gets better with each new season. Taking place in 1985 the producers got it right.  The music, the clothing, the big hair,  the cars, the evil Russians, the life in a mall, the cereal boxes, and the slang.  The writing is top notch.  The first few episodes of teenager life contains some screaming laughter scenes.  All the actors/actresses do a wonderful job being in an entertaining story.  Highly recommended for viewing. 

I totally agree.  I was the same age as Mike, Dustin etc at the time so I very much enjoy this show.  I keep looking for details they get wrong and there are NONE to be found.  Even the Burger King sack is period correct.  Everything on store shelves from the drug store Joyce works in to the mall shops is spot on period correct.

I watch it with my son and he had a big smile when I told him I WAS those kids at the time.  All of the kids in my neighborhood lived on the walkie talkie.  We even made our own morse code so our transmissions were "encrypted."  Even the enigma machine couldn't help neighborhood spies.

Edited by IA-SteveB